CDZ Homophobic People Often Have Psychological Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
If disagreeing with homosexual culture equals homophobia, then disagreeing with gun culture is gunphobia. If anti illegal immigration equals xenophobia, then antireligion equals religionphobia, right?

So why hasn't the word "gunphobia" taken off? Why is there no such word as "religionphobia"? If and when they find that wanting stricter rules for owning guns amounts to a "phobia" then I'm sure the title will be coined....but apparently there has been no correlation to date, to make it so.

And when they do, I won't find it insulting to be called "gunphobic" - words don't trouble me - I'm not a "Wordphobe" like apparently so many on this thread are.

Last edited:
So why hasn't the word "gunphobia" taken off? Why is there no such word as "religionphobia"? If and when they find that wanting stricter rules for owning guns amounts to a "phobia" then I'm sure the title will be coined....but apparently there has been no correlation to date, to make it so.

And when they do, I won't find it insulting to be called "gunphobic" - words don't trouble me - I'm not a "Wordphobe" like apparently so many on this thread are.

Because someone who disagrees with guns or religion are not phobics. That's ridiculous, as are the terms 'gunphobia' and 'religionphobia'. You've just proven the point that many of us have been making ... calling someone who holds a differing pov on homosexuality a 'homophobic' is ridiculous and flat out wrong.

Good Lord, I'm not playing word games. Not only are the majority of citizens in the US supporting gay rights, all the advanced, modern countries in the world are supporting them. People are evolving in social and cultural terms, those people who live in modern, advanced, educated cultures. I am not using any language that is biased, prejudiced or inflammatory. Don't we all recognize that first world countries are more advanced than 3rd world countries? If you look around you and have any awareness of what is going on in other first world countries, you will see they are accepting gay rights across the globe. Therefore, it seems clear that educated, advanced, modern people are using reason instead of emotion to go toward acceptance and tolerance of others, whether it be homosexuality or something else, such as culture, race, gender, age, etc.
And yet, guns scare you; because of your irrational fear and hatred for them, you scream and cry for more restrictions.
Not surprising - hoplophobia is a mental disorder.
You're mixing issues and motivations. I am not afraid of guns. It is not a phobia. The gun culture of America is what the problem is. Again, you have no world vision, no broad vision of the greater world.
On the contrary -- you do indeed have an irrational fear of guns; all of your arguments for further restricting them are based on that fear.
Except those that re based on ignorance and/of dishonesty, of course.
Why, lets let your own words prove that point.
Countries with few restrictions on guns have greater gun violence overall on a national basis. Countries with strict gun control have far less gun violence.
5 words: post hoc ergo propter hoc
5 more: Fallacy of the single cause
Have Clayton explain these to you - but suffice it to say, you;re arguing from either ignorance and/or dishonesty.
IMO the people who are fearful are those who want guns. They are afraid to live without guns.
Yes... but that opinion is unsupportable, based on nothing but your preconceptions and biases - a vacuous truth.
Thus, an argument from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.
I've lived in America without feeling the need to protect myself by arming myself.
And, because this is true for you, it must be true for everyone?
Hasty generalization, an argument from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

~300,000,000 guns in the US.
~99.999712% of them will NOT be involved in a murder this year.
:dunno:
In any case, this is a very different thing from homophobia, which is like xenophobia: a fear of people or cultures that are strange and different.
No one fears homosexuals, their culture or their differences.
The thing is you are all lying like crazy when you say you don't fear homosexuality.
This is, of course, unsupportable hooey - another vacuous truth

Tell us why, if you're so right about "homophobia" you can only support your position with fallacies?

Because someone who disagrees with guns or religion are not phobics. That's ridiculous, as are the terms 'gunphobia' and 'religionphobia'. You've just proven the point that many of us have been making ... calling someone who holds a differing pov on homosexuality a 'homophobic' is ridiculous and flat out wrong.

It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear. So, no, I haven't proven your point....and you haven't proven your point either. When you are able to post a credible report that those who seek stricter gun controls are doing it out of fear of guns, then maybe you can claim that the word gunphobic needs to be assigned to them, but so far, all of you that have been claiming disapproval of homosexuality have not given a clear response as to why. Many gun owners are in favor of stricter gun controls, so how do you explain that they have a fear of guns when they own them? How many of those who are anti-homosexuality are homosexuals themselves?

Like I said, if you think it is because of religious beliefs, maybe some other religion may hold their believers accountable for the sins of others, but Christianity doesn't. So, if you are a Christian, you are not responsible for homosexuals and your belief that their lifestyle is a sin. They are the only ones that can be held accountable, if that is so. So, claiming that it is against Christianity doesn't make you accountable any more than it makes you accountable for other Christians that are lying or committing adultery just because you accept them and are kind to them.

So, unless you can explain your disdain for homosexuality that doesn't involve some sort of fear, then the word homophobe does apply.

If disagreeing with homosexual culture equals homophobia, then disagreeing with gun culture is gunphobia. If anti illegal immigration equals xenophobia, then antireligion equals religionphobia, right?
Hoplophobia - the fear of inanimate objects, specifically weapons.

And that applies to people that have a fear of guns. There are many gun owners that are in favor of stricter gun controls.....they are not afraid of guns, they are afraid that we don't have laws or enforce them that keep people with mental problems from acquiring them and using them. There is a difference.

When you are able to prove that a gun owner who is in favor of stricter gun laws is actually afraid of guns, you have the right to assign that name to them, but generally speaking it is not accurate.

And I am still waiting to hear someone who is against homosexuality explain what it is that they dislike about it.

It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear. So, no, I haven't proven your point....and you haven't proven your point either. When you are able to post a credible report that those who seek stricter gun controls are doing it out of fear of guns, then maybe you can claim that the word gunphobic needs to be assigned to them, but so far, all of you that have been claiming disapproval of homosexuality have not given a clear response as to why. Many gun owners are in favor of stricter gun controls, so how do you explain that they have a fear of guns when they own them? How many of those who are anti-homosexuality are homosexuals themselves?

Like I said, if you think it is because of religious beliefs, maybe some other religion may hold their believers accountable for the sins of others, but Christianity doesn't. So, if you are a Christian, you are not responsible for homosexuals and your belief that their lifestyle is a sin. They are the only ones that can be held accountable, if that is so. So, claiming that it is against Christianity doesn't make you accountable any more than it makes you accountable for other Christians that are lying or committing adultery just because you accept them and are kind to them.

So, unless you can explain your disdain for homosexuality that doesn't involve some sort of fear, then the word homophobe does apply.

Mertex posted:

"It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear."

This is correct, so to use the term "gunphobia" or "religionphobia" is completely wrong. Why? Because "phobia" (any kind of phobia) is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.

Zoom posted:

"someone who disagrees with guns or religion are not phobics." (again, phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.)

You just agreed with me then go on to spout that I have no point. lol

I don't need a report or study to know that the term homphobia is completely and utterly wrong. Someone who disagrees with something is not a phobic -- you just made that exact same claim when you said "It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear". A phobia is a disorder consisting of intense fear/hatred, etc. Someone who says "marriage is between one man/one woman" is not homophobic. That is simply false. They are not fearing homosexuals, they simply have a differing pov. Yet, time and again, I've seen these people called homophobe (try reading the comments section of any articles/links, etc. on ss/m).

My point, that I've proven repeatedly, is that the term homophobic is a) by definition, wrong (the definition says homophobia is a dislike or prejudice against homosexuals. Please refer to what the definition of phobia actually is, above); b) used to insult/flame/squash any opinion that differs from the 'status quo'. In other words, if one doesn't tow the 'homosexual line', as it were, they're said to be fearing/hating/have anger towards homosexuals. Proof? They are called homophobes.

The definition of phobia:

A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.

phobia - Google Search

The definition of homphobia:

dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

homophobia - Google Search

The term homphobia is incorrect in its definition. Phobia is an anxiety disorder but when used in the context of homophobia, it has been changed into 'dislike of' or 'prejudice against' homosexuals. But a phobia isn't merely a 'dislike' of something, is it? It is an intense fear and hatred of something. So when the term homophobe/homophobic is used, regardless of the (incorrect) definition of the word, it is intended and interpreted to mean a person who holds a disorder (mental, anxiety) against homosexuals; it is meant to insinuate that those who hold a differing pov 'fear/hate/are angry at' homosexuals; it is meant to insult/inflame/squash that differing pov.

Which is why the study uses the term psychoticism to describe those who are displaying fear based anger and hatred towards gays.

The same term would apply to those who feared illegal immigrants and displayed anger and hatred towards them.

Ditto for guns.

The study identified that irrational fear resulted in symptoms of psychoticism which is a mental disorder.

Yes, the same mental disorder will apply to other things too.

You can have a rational opposition to illegal immigrants, gays and guns without displaying any hatred, anger or hostility towards them.

But when your irrational fear based reaction to them comes out as hatred, anger and hostility then you have the mental disorder called psychoticism,

When people express an opposing pov on homosexuality (no fear, no anger, no hatred ... just an oppsing pov) they are bashed over the head (verbally) and called a homophobe. All the time. Do you deny that happens? The study? I'm talking about everyday, in the real world use of the term. The definition is flat out wrong, as I've shown above. Period. There is no denying it. It is intentionally inflammatory, meant to not only belittle anyone who holds a differing pov but also as an attempt to shut down the conversation, to silence them. It is a bogus term meant to inflame/insult/squash differing povs on homsexuality. Which, in turn, reveals that you guys are anything but tolerant.

I was watching a rerun of Modern Family the other night. Cam and Mitch were planning their wedding. Mitch's dad, Jay, was having a difficult time with it all, he was uncomfortable with it. He said to Mitch (paraphrasing): "hey, I'm trying here but I can't help it. It's unnatural to me, I can't help it, that's the way I am". Instead of any type of understanding on Mitch's part, Mitch instead says: "you're throwing a gayism at us? Really? You know what dad, if it bothers you that much then just don't come to the wedding". While he didn't use the word homophobe, his attitude is exactly the attitude presented towards anyone who doesn't tow the line and exactly the attitude when the term homophobe is used.

"But when your irrational fear based reaction to them comes out as hatred, anger and hostility then you have the mental disorder called psychoticism". Peachy. And when your reaction isn't based on hatred/anger/hostility/fear but you are called homophobic anyway ... what do you call that? Intolerance.

Your anger comes through clearly in your posts.

Mertex posted:

"It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear."

This is correct, so to use the term "gunphobia" or "religionphobia" is completely wrong. Why? Because "phobia" (any kind of phobia) is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.
Yes, I definitely agreed with your comment, but didn't you post the following earlier?

Bullshit. The very first word is an attack.

Zoom posted:

"someone who disagrees with guns or religion are not phobics." (again, phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.)

You just agreed with me then go on to spout that I have no point. lol

You very conveniently left out the rest of your post, which is the point that I have debunked because having a disdain for homosexuality is not the same as wanting stricter gun laws.

The rest of Zoom's post:
That's ridiculous, as are the terms 'gunphobia' and 'religionphobia'. You've just proven the point that many of us have been making ... calling someone who holds a differing pov on homosexuality a 'homophobic' is ridiculous and flat out wrong.

Someone who holds a differing POV on homosexuality is doing it out of "fear" of something. Gun owners who are in favor of stricter gun laws don't hate guns......that's the point that is going quite obviously over your head. People who disapprove of homosexuality must have a reason for it, and that is what most of you are jumping all around and deflecting without answering.

I don't need a report or study to know that the term homphobia is completely and utterly wrong. Someone who disagrees with something is not a phobic -- you just made that exact same claim when you said "It has not been proven that those that disagree with guns or religion are doing it out of fear". A phobia is a disorder consisting of intense fear/hatred, etc. Someone who says "marriage is between one man/one woman" is not homophobic. That is simply false. They are not fearing homosexuals, they simply have a differing pov. Yet, time and again, I've seen these people called homophobe (try reading the comments section of any articles/links, etc. on ss/m).
Those that have fear of guns most certainly can be called hoplophobes, I have no problem with that. What I meant to say was "those that want stricter gun control laws, are not necessarily afraid of guns" - granted there may be some that are, and definitely they are hoplophobes (the correct term for fear of guns). But to say that those who favor stricter gun control laws are hoplophobes, unless you know for sure that they fear guns, you would be wrong.

One can keep repeating over and over that one is not homophobic, but unless the reason can be rationalized as not an act of fear, then the person is homophobic. Kim Davis does not believe in ssm, and she has the right to hate them, dislike them and even criticize them, but her job of issuing licenses has nothing to do with her feelings or beliefs, it has to do with doing her job. Many gun owners who want stricter gun control own guns themselves, ergo, they are not afraid of guns and your comparison falls flat, so no, you didn't make your point.

My point, that I've proven repeatedly, is that the term homophobic is a) by definition, wrong (the definition says homophobia is a dislike or prejudice against homosexuals. Please refer to what the definition of phobia actually is, above); b) used to insult/flame/squash any opinion that differs from the 'status quo'. In other words, if one doesn't tow the 'homosexual line', as it were, they're said to be fearing/hating/have anger towards homosexuals. Proof? They are called homophobes.

When someone goes to the length that most of you go to define homosexuals and their lifestyle it is correct to assume that you are a homophobe. That you dislike the word homophobe is just more proof that you don't like a tag associated with your disdain. But, since you claim that it isn't because of fear, why don't you explain what it is about it that you hate?

According to many, homophobes are latent homosexuals. So homosexuals fall into this category. People have given several reasons they disapprove of the homosexual culture, such as against my religion (no fear or hate in many, but some may fear or hate). If you disagree with a loving, polite Christian stating homosexuality is against her religion, are you a theophobe? Some people think anal sex is unhealthy, and not without reason, in both homosexual and heterosexual context. They are labeled homophobe rather than germophobe. The why is political. Simply expecting immigrants to be vetted gets the xenophobic label, so expecting gun owners to be vetted is equally holophobic, no?

Now, psychotocism is being used. Seriously. Why was biggot not enough. Now, not only is the history of mainstream American culture wrong, but it is a mental illness, psychotic and a cognitive impairment. Disagreement with homosexual culture is not generally rooted in fear. It is rooted in culture. People and cultures change, but that does not make our predecessors insane. Slave owners were not insane. They were racist.

If this were in print about a specific person, it is legally actionable unless the individual, in fact, has a diagnosis of phobia (morbid fear and intense anxiety) or some psychosis (delusions, hallucinations, etc). These are debilitating mental illnesses, not some functioning person who disagrees with me.

Psychometric testing is supposed to take the predominant culture into account, not be used to change the predominant culture. Ethically, homosexuality and/or homophobia should not be tested this way, as beliefs are largely cultural.

A psychometric test must be:

• Objective: The score must not affected by the testers’ beliefs or values
  • Standardized: It must be administered under controlled conditions
  • Reliable: It must minimize and quantify any intrinsic errors
  • Predictive: It must make an accurate prediction of performance
  • Non Discriminatory: It must not disadvantage any group on the basis of gender, culture, ethnicity, etc.
Psychometrics - AssessmentPsychology.com

Laypeople do not generally have the credentials to be diagnosing people. Because you (general you, not specific) believe disagreement to be delusional does not make it so. Disagreeing with someone's reasoning does not make them irrational. Disagreeing with religion is not theophobic, which is why that term hasn't taken off. Disagreeing with gun culture does not make someone holophobic, which is why that term hasn't taken off. Disagreeing with homosexuals does not make one homophobic. That word has taken off because of politics. Same for xenophobic. Have you ever known a xenophobe? The difference is crystal clear. The terms are thrown out willy nilly to shut the "opponent" down, to minimize them. It is a political tactic and it is dishonest, as the terminology is overly dramatic, inflammatory and incorrect usage of medical diagnosis that have actual meanings and criteria.

Where did disdain come from? Many people who disagree with homosexual culture do not fear, hate or have disdain for homosexuals. I get that you cannot think of any possible rational reason for that disagreement. Many religious people cannot think of a rational reason to disagree with them. They think you and I are lost or blind or diminished in some way. That does not make it so.

I do not fear, hate or have disdain for homosexuals. I love them. I am annoyed at agressive and invasive behavior in public shared spaces, but I am more often annoyed by heterosexuals (run into more of them, doubt rudeness is more prevalent in one or the other). I find the armchair diagnoses homophobic and xenophobic just as agressive as armchair diagnosing someone retarded or bipolar or narcissistic. It is slanderous.

According to many, homophobes are latent homosexuals. So homosexuals fall into this category. People have given several reasons they disapprove of the homosexual culture, such as against my religion (no fear or hate in many, but some may fear or hate). If you disagree with a loving, polite Christian stating homosexuality is against her religion, are you a theophobe? Some people think anal sex is unhealthy, and not without reason, in both homosexual and heterosexual context. They are labeled homophobe rather than germophobe. The why is political. Simply expecting immigrants to be vetted gets the xenophobic label, so expecting gun owners to be vetted is equally holophobic, no?
If a person is a homosexual, whether open or latent, they by definition, are not true homophobes, even if they exhibit a hatred or dislike of homosexuals. Their phobia is of another kind, perhaps self-hatred, which is also identified as some sort of mental disorder. They resent the fact that they are homosexual and adopt a homophobic attitude to keep their identity secret.

Self-hatred is also a symptom of many personality disorders, including borderline personality disorder,[1] as well as depression. It can also be linked to guilt for someone's own actions that they view as wrongful, e.g. survivor guilt.

Also, "against my religion" should only apply to the person's own behavior. If your religion is against homosexuality, and you want to adhere to your religious beliefs, you do not practice homosexuality. It doesn't extend to what other people are doing. Christians are not supposed to hate and ridicule people that they know are committing adultery, lying or committing other offenses considered sins in Christianity. So, where does the "it is against my religion" make it mandatory for the religious person to persecute, demean and criticize others who practice homosexuality or any of the offenses that their religion finds offensive?
Now, psychotocism is being used. Seriously. Why was biggot not enough. Now, not only is the history of mainstream American culture wrong, but it is a mental illness, psychotic and a cognitive impairment. Disagreement with homosexual culture is not generally rooted in fear. It is rooted in culture. People and cultures change, but that does not make our predecessors insane. Slave owners were not insane. They were racist.
It may be rooted in culture, but originally, it is likely that the reason for the culture's attitude toward it was based on some type of fear.
If this were in print about a specific person, it is legally actionable unless the individual, in fact, has a diagnosis of phobia (morbid fear and intense anxiety) or some psychosis (delusions, hallucinations, etc). These are debilitating mental illnesses, not some functioning person who disagrees with me.
Not all mental disorders are to the point of being debilitating. There are many functioning people that have mental disorders that are not obvious until the person starts to talk and reveals their disconnect. I witnessed a xenophobe just today while watching a clip of Donald Trump's rally in New Hampshire. One of his followers actually believes that Obama is a Muslim, not an American and made a suggestion that sounded a lot like he wanted Trump to promise some ethnic cleansing. Now, that's a xenophobe....and I wonder how many of those exist in Trump's followers. Sadly, Trump wasn't as compassionate as McCain and didn't put this xenophobe in his place, like McCain did that xenophobe woman in his rally.

TRUMP: Okay, this man, I like this guy.

UNIDENTIFIED JACKASS: (Unintelligible) We have a problem in this country. It's called Muslims. We know our current president is one.

TRUMP: Right.

UNIDENTIFIED JACKASS: You know he's not even an American.

TRUMP: (Big smile) We need this question. This is (unintelligible).

UNIDENTIFIED JACKASS: But anyway, we have training camps, growing, where they want to kill us. That's my question: when can we get rid of them?

TRUMP: We're going to be looking at a lot of different things. I mean you know a lot of people are saying that and a lot of people are saying that bad things are happening out there and we're going to be looking at that and plenty of other things.

Daily Kos :: News Community Action

(snip)

While homophobe is considered a "fear" of homosexuals, perhaps a new word should be coined to define the fear that we should have of homophobes - something like "homophobephobe".

An interesting read:

If you look up "homophobia" in the dictionary, it will probably tell you that it is the fear of homosexuals.

While many would take issue with that definition, it is nevertheless true that in many ways, it really is a fear of homosexuality or at least homosexuals, as we will see in this essay.

Homophobia is widespread in America, far more widespread than most heterosexuals realize, and it is far more subtle, too. The discrimination it inspires touches the lives of many Americans, not just gay Americans, but all Americans. And America pays a very dear price for it as we shall see.

The Effects of Homophobia On American Society
In 1994, during the campaign of Oliver North for the U.S. Senate, there were several of his supporters seen carrying signs along a Virginia freeway that read, "Homophobia Doesn't Kill." By announcing that belief, they were exposing their ignorance to the world, because homophobiadoeskill, and it kills with surprising frequency.
There are the obvious murders inspired by hatred. In the U.S., they number in the dozens every year. Abroad, the numbers run to the hundreds to thousands, no one knows the precise number for sure, as in many countries, the deaths of homosexuals are not considered worth recording as a separate category.

But there are other ways in which homophobia kills. There are countless suicides every year by gay men and lesbians, particularly youth, which mental health professionals tell us1 are not the direct result of the victim's homosexuality, but is actually the result of how the homosexual is treated by society. When one lives with rejection day after day, and society discounts one's value constantly, it is difficult to maintain perspective and realize that the problem is others' perceptions, not one's own, which is why suicide is several times as common among gay men as it is among straight men.

Perhaps the highest price is paid by youth. The young person just emerging into adulthood who has begun to realize that he is different, and the difference is not approved of, finds acceptance of self particularly difficult. This is especially true when others perceive the young person as different, and persecute him as a result, with little effort made by authority figures to stop the torment. This is why gay youth commit suicide at a rate of about seven times that of straight youth. Yet it is surprising how often homophobes actually try to prevent intervention by teachers in the schools!

Homophobia: The Fear Behind The Hatred

We are going to have to agree to disagree. You cannot accept any reason other than fear to disagree with homosexual culture. Phobia does not mean fear. It is a debilitating fear, always has been. Plenty of people fear spiders but are not phobic. While I may agree with the cause, I do not believe in "any means necessary." There are not homophobes around every corner, just as there are not demons behind every corner, no matter how strongly one believes.

1. Scott Bidstrup
  2. Scott Bidstrup is an anti-neoliberal political activist, a skeptic and a self-taught telecommunications engineer who has written essays on a range of topics. The youngest of four siblings, he is a gay rights activist. Wikipedia
  3. Born: January 12, 1949 (age 66), Idaho Falls, ID
  4. Education: Brigham Young University

Pretty intelligent person....not just some nut giving an uneducated opinion.

In 1971 he received his B.A. in communications from BYU. Shortly thereafter, he decided he could not in his mind reconcile some doctrines of his Mormon faith with his knowledge of biological evolution and became an agnostic.[1] In 1972 Bidstrup passed both the FCC Advanced class amateur and First Class commercial radio liecence and obtained work in Salt Lake City as a two-way radio technician., later working for Motorola's service depot in San Carlos, California. [1]

In 1980, he went to work for Skaggs Telecommunications Service in Salt Lake City, managing its portable products service department, three years later, transferring into its satellite earth station subsidiary, U.S. Satellite Corporation, where he managed its operations division. Eventually, he went to work as a transmission engineer at the Steele Valley Earth Station in Perris, California. While there, he earned a Certificate in Satellite Transmission Engineering from the University of California at Los Angeles, and became a full member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. Subsequently, he moved to Phoenix, Az., where he managed the engineering department at American Television Corporation in Phoenix, at the time, the principal provider of microwave backbone transmission services in the region. He was briefly the manager of microwave transmission engineering services at Mericom Corporation of Irvine, California, before retiring and moving to Costa Rica in 2003. In 2008, he passed his Amateur Extra Class license exam (the highest grade in the U.S.), and was assigned the call sign of W7RI. [1]
Scott Bidstrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are going to have to agree to disagree. You cannot accept any reason other than fear to disagree with homosexual culture. Phobia does not mean fear. It is a debilitating fear, always has been. Plenty of people fear spiders but are not phobic. While I may agree with the cause, I do not believe in "any means necessary." There are not homophobes around every corner, just as there are not demons behind every corner, no matter how strongly one believes.

Perhaps some that are anti-homosexuality are not completely phobic, but lets face it, Kim Davis went so far as to put her job in jeopardy, allowed herself to be jailed and possibly be charged with a felony.....that's pretty phobic if you ask me. And anyone that describes homosexuals as "evil, disgusting and vicious" has got to be exhibiting quite a bit of fear and there was plenty of those types of comments on this thread alone.......not to mention the ones that go so far as to hurt, and even kill homosexuals all over the world.

Perhaps some that are anti-homosexuality are not completely phobic, but lets face it, Kim Davis went so far as to put her job in jeopardy, allowed herself to be jailed and possibly be charged with a felony.....that's pretty phobic if you ask me. And anyone that describes homosexuals as "evil, disgusting and vicious" has got to be exhibiting quite a bit of fear and there was plenty of those types of comments on this thread alone.......not to mention the ones that go so far as to hurt, and even kill homosexuals all over the world.

I spoke out against her. I am not anti-gay. I've posted links to sites by people qualified to make such a diagnosis. I still say it is wrong to slander people with an insanity diagnosis by laymen or activists. You think I'm silly for getting stuck on the word. Neither of us is going to change her mind, so it is pointless to keep running these circles. We just disagree, so hugs and move on as far as I'm concerned.

I spoke out against her. I am not anti-gay. I've posted links to sites by people qualified to make such a diagnosis. I still say it is wrong to slander people with an insanity diagnosis by laymen or activists. You think I'm silly for getting stuck on the word. Neither of us is going to change her mind, so it is pointless to keep running these circles. We just disagree, so hugs and move on as far as I'm concerned.

I wasn't alluding that you were one of those. And you have the right to feel the way you do (it is wrong to slander people with an insanity diagnosis by laymen or activists) but it was a study, and not everyone has to agree with it. It is silly to get stuck on a word, especially if one feels it doesn't apply to oneself....however, when it makes an impression, one has to wonder why.

If likes and dislikes are psychological issues... so be it

so be it, and Amen.

EDIT just to add

Everything in life is a psychological issue

we hate what we hate. Period.

You needn't wonder. I don't feel it has been applied to me at all. I've never been called homophobic or xenophobic as far as I know. I thought I was clear why I disagreed with the study. The title alone is redundant. Since phobics, by definition have a clear and severe psychological problem, homophobics would as well. I just dont think there are nearly the amount of homophobes out there that some do. Biggots abound, but phobics, not so much if you go by the scientific definition rather than the activists'.

It makes an impression because I am an English major and I understand the meaning of words, prefixes and suffixes ... and the power behind them to shape thinking. I believe you understand that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back