Homeschooling: the ultimate results

Likewise, no evidence they do worse. First hand accounts, moreover, are overwhelmingly positive.
Anecdotal exaggeration

In the absence of other evidence, it's the best we have. If it simply didn't work, we'd know. We do know that it does work because those who do it generally succeed.
We don't know that
Those who fail just drop off the radar or return to public school

1. Is there an epidemic of uneducated home schooled kids? I say no, because I have been involved with home schooling organizations and have seen good results. I see the detractors as sitting on the outside taking potshots for no good reason other than vague partisan ideas that conservative parents are getting away with something. If the concern is really for kids getting a good education, then we should be championing whatever works, and home schooling is a valid option for frustrated parents
Why try to deny them that opportunity?
2. Why is it a problem if they return to government schools? Parents home school for a variety of reasons and can decide they no longer need or want to.

No, there is not an epidemic.

No one should deny parents the right to homeschool.

When they return to school they are usually a minimum of one to two years behind. Ever try to teach Algebra to student who cannot multiply?

I'd like to see the stats on kids who were placed in public schools after being home schooled for a while. Especially if they heave been taking the SOL's.

They have to be a small number.

And yes, I have tutored kids who had trouble in math.

Why are you assuming you are the originator? Like I said, go back over the thread and find what I was responding to. History did not start with you, you know.

You keep quoting my posts, dumb ass!

You join the conversation and comment on it, you get quoted.

You are directly quoting my responses. Address your comments to those who made them. It is not that hard.

If you will recall, you said I didn't know what a blanket statement was. I asked you if the statement to which I was responding was not a blanket statement, and we went from there. No, you didn't make the original statement, I was asking what you thought about it. Does that clear things up?

No. You are still confused.

Okay, just understand that I know you didn't say that parents home school so their kids won't have to play with Negros, something I consider a blanket statement and very hateful.

You keep quoting my posts, dumb ass!

You are directly quoting my responses. Address your comments to those who made them. It is not that hard.

If you will recall, you said I didn't know what a blanket statement was. I asked you if the statement to which I was responding was not a blanket statement, and we went from there. No, you didn't make the original statement, I was asking what you thought about it. Does that clear things up?

Okay, just understand that I know you didn't say that parents home school so their kids won't have to play with Negros, something I consider a blanket statement and very hateful.
In many cases...quite true
Parents want to control who their child has contact with

Poor children from struggling families could never afford an education
Free public education made it possible to succeed

Thanks for the history lesson. US Public Schools suck relative to the rest of the industrialized world. It's time to make major changes or close them down and find better alternatives.
Other nations have centrally controlled education
We farm it out to local communities

The idea is not which entity controls public education.....the question is accountability.

If you are stupid or lazy you do not advance in public education in England, as an example, past age 16. Accountability is built in every step of the way.

Those who do not want to be educated and disrupt public schools need to be culled from the herd. Public school on the taxpayer dime is a privilege...it should not be a right.

I work in public schools...it is mostly a joke. Roughly a 1/3 of kids do not want to learn are really do not want to participate. That is obviously a personal choice. Those students absorb the bulk of time and energy in public schools, and it is an utter waste.

I've literally had a teacher tell me that my child was did not need much attention, as an indicator of how well she was doing, relative to the kids that are problems.

I've told that to another parent, who is also a teacher, and she had been told the same.

Repealing truancy laws, and mandatory attendance would greatly improve public schools overnight.

Yeah, that will be great until you come home and find your home has been ransacked by teens who should have been in school.

If they don't want to go to school, lock their ass up!

Let them get jobs.

Poor children from struggling families could never afford an education
Free public education made it possible to succeed

Thanks for the history lesson. US Public Schools suck relative to the rest of the industrialized world. It's time to make major changes or close them down and find better alternatives.
Other nations have centrally controlled education
We farm it out to local communities

The idea is not which entity controls public education.....the question is accountability.

If you are stupid or lazy you do not advance in public education in England, as an example, past age 16. Accountability is built in every step of the way.

Those who do not want to be educated and disrupt public schools need to be culled from the herd. Public school on the taxpayer dime is a privilege...it should not be a right.

I work in public schools...it is mostly a joke. Roughly a 1/3 of kids do not want to learn are really do not want to participate. That is obviously a personal choice. Those students absorb the bulk of time and energy in public schools, and it is an utter waste.

I've literally had a teacher tell me that my child was did not need much attention, as an indicator of how well she was doing, relative to the kids that are problems.

I've told that to another parent, who is also a teacher, and she had been told the same.

Repealing truancy laws, and mandatory attendance would greatly improve public schools overnight.

that is absurd

truancy laws serve multiple purposes. one, it makes sure that kids aren't being used for child labor; two, schools receive funds based upon attendance; and three, it makes certain that kids are being educated.

this aversion you have to rules is childish and silly

Children, or should I say, "children" that don't want to learn, are not learning and are disrupting the school for everyone else, AND, money per head is not a good enough reason for that to continue.

Anecdotal exaggeration

In the absence of other evidence, it's the best we have. If it simply didn't work, we'd know. We do know that it does work because those who do it generally succeed.
We don't know that

1. Is there an epidemic of uneducated home schooled kids? I say no, because I have been involved with home schooling organizations and have seen good results. I see the detractors as sitting on the outside taking potshots for no good reason other than vague partisan ideas that conservative parents are getting away with something. If the concern is really for kids getting a good education, then we should be championing whatever works, and home schooling is a valid option for frustrated parents
2. Why is it a problem if they return to government schools? Parents home school for a variety of reasons and can decide they no longer need or want to.

When they return to school they are usually a minimum of one to two years behind. Ever try to teach Algebra to student who cannot multiply?

I'd like to see the stats on kids who were placed in public schools after being home schooled for a while. Especially if they heave been taking the SOL's.

Why are you talking about Standards of Learning? You realize that only applies to Virginia.

Yes, my kids went to school in Virginia too!

That's a far cry from accusing them of being racist, however.

We don't know that

Why are you talking about Standards of Learning? You realize that only applies to Virginia.

Good point. I guess other states haven't caught up yet.

We don't know that

There is no major difference in the standards used in Virginia and in other places.

Most homeschooled kids do not have to show any evidence that they actually learned anything, depending on the state of course..

There is no major difference in the standards used in Virginia and in other places.

Most homeschooled kids do not have to show any evidence that they actually learned anything, depending on the state of course..

It shows when they hit the job market, and if large numbers were having a hard time coping, the organizations would know about it. While there is potential for problems, we're not seeing it.

It shows when they hit the job market, and if large numbers were having a hard time coping, the organizations would know about it. While there is potential for problems, we're not seeing it.

Where do you think all of those Mcdonald's people who can't count change come from?

Where do you think all of those Mcdonald's people who can't count change come from?

Government schools that graduated them without teaching them.

Some are

Don't want their kids to associate with negroes, Hispanics, poor people, Jews, Muslims......

Some are

Don't want their kids to associate with negroes, Hispanics, poor people, Jews, Muslims......
Some people that send their kids to public schools are racist so what's your point?

Some are

Some people that send their kids to public schools are racist so what's your point?
The point is that at public schools those kids will be exposed to different races, different faiths, different social status

They don't get that homeschooling

Some are

The point is that at public schools those kids will be exposed to different races, different faiths, different social status

So what?

Some are

So what?

Sooooooooooo.........

Public schools offer a better opportunity to interact socially with those you may not normally be exposed to

Something that terrifies homeschool parents

and psssst..... no matter how many times you and your uneducated, uniformed angry white male loons repeat the same thing, it doesn't make you any less delusional.
Psst...Donald Trump sits in the White House this evening while you sit at home crying. Republicans control the House, the Senate, and 33 of 50 states while you can’t even control your outbursts. :laugh:

Public schools offer a better opportunity to interact socially with those you may not normally be exposed to
And yet statistics prove that homeschooled children are more engaged and adapted socially than their public schooled peers. Oops...

Proving yet again that wrongwinger makes up everything he posts!

Yes, if there are parents who have the time and capabilities to do a good job of homeschooling their kids, they will be successful.
The facts are so indisputable - even Esmeralda can no longer deny it.
However, the vast majority of parents either do not have the time because both mom and dad are working
So you’re excuse is “they don’t care”? Because if they cared - they would make the time. Pathetic excuse Esy.
or they are not well enough educated or intelligent enough to do a good job educating their kids on their own.
If a parent isn’t smart enough to read a textbook and then explain the content of that textbook to a child, then they shouldn’t be a fuck’n parent in the first place. :eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back