Troublemakers Used To Be Removed From Class -

My nephews were being bullied but the schools cannot remove these children or even discipline them. It's being called racists to remove disruptive or violent children. Unless someone is dying no one cares.

Kids absolutely can be disciplined, and in the case of serious, repeated incidents, removed.

Not every school is run well. Sometimes you have to raise a stink to advocate for what is right.

President Obama's administration a few years ago told public schools (on pain of losing federal financial aid) to stop suspending students for defiance of their teachers.

Some (NOT all) African American and Hispanic American parents felt that their children were being singled out for suspension.

The administration agreed with them and suggested that a better way to handle the matter was to use reparative justice. (Check the Web for details.)

Basically, it means that instead of suspending the defiant student, both the teacher and the student sit down together to discuss the matter.

According to what I have read (and believe), many teachers feel that discipline is their biggest concern.

In my opinion, it is impossible to concentrate on teaching when a teacher has to spend all the time trying to keep order.

Many parents (of all ethnicities) spend their precious money in order to send their children to private schools.

Some even resort to home schooling.

Furthermore, there is now accredited online education that is available in many states.

A friend of mine drives a school bus and he is quitting when he finds another job. Says the little bastards on the bus are out of control and no one will do anything.

call the cops if needed.

There is nothing police can do if students misbehave or even disrupt class.

Even if they commit an arrest-worthy offense (such as assault or breach of peace), juveniles will be bailed within minutes and back at school the next day.

Even if public schools suspend unruly students, they will be on the streets, causing problems.

Students are disciplined all the time in public schools. Some schools are run better than others.

call the cops if needed.

Even if they commit an arrest-worthy offense (such as assault or breach of peace), juveniles will be bailed within minutes and back at school the next day.

Even if public schools suspend unruly students, they will be on the streets, causing problems.
My high school, an economically needy school, had a 75% dropout rate. Only one in four graduated. But the community didn't want them on the streets and a "keep em in school" program was started. So in time, back to school they went.

call the cops if needed.

My high school, an economically needy school, had a 75% dropout rate. Only one in four graduated. But the community didn't want them on the streets and a "keep em in school" program was started. So in time, back to school they went.

It's just passing around a hand grenade. You hope and pray they're in someone else's hands when they go off.

This is one of the reasons why I stopped teaching in public schools. I never got beat up. But I had to deal with mouthy kids before. The school tries and disciplines them but they have to be careful because of parents.

People nowadays don't want their kids taking responsibility for their actions.

I got a complaint one time because I shouted at a child after they dropped kicked another kid(he left a shoe print on the child) . His mom told me it wasn't necessary for me to shout at her son .

She said I could have explained to him a calm manner that it was bad to kick another student( this was a 5th grader and knew damn well what he was doing was wrong).

It's not the school districts that have gotten worse. It's kids and their parents.

Our neighborhood high school had dress standards. A parent was called to school regarding her daughter's inappropriate dress and the mother yelled at the school "Why do you people allow students to dress like that."

Kids absolutely can be disciplined, and in the case of serious, repeated incidents, removed.

Not every school is run well. Sometimes you have to raise a stink to advocate for what is right.

In my district that's not always the case. Any expulsions have to be approved by the district (therefore schools aka admin can't expel students). A kid who brought a knife to school for example was not expelled recently, despite taking it out during a class period and the knife being a few inches in length.

There's a limit on the amount of days students can be suspended...which is 3 consecutive days, and 10 total. The 3 consecutive days applies to everybody for every offense, and the 10 days applies to ESE students (regardless of what make them ESE...in terms of discipline limits, add is treated the same as severe emotional/psychological conditions). I just had a kid with ADD show up late to my class for 35 minutes (literally) and I wrote him up for skipping. The consequence he received? Conference with an AP...where basically the AP tells him to stop, he says he will, and that's it. He was late to my class again later in the week by 22 minutes (which I guess is progress).

Should we crucify the kid that's always late to my class by that much? No. Should we expel him? No. Should we suspend him for 10 days? No. Should we try a different kind of consequence so he learns the importance of being punctual, which will follow him the rest of his life? Yes. I don't think giving him detention, or a day of ISS is unreasonable. The problem being that the district has put severe limitations on what admin can do (our principal has actually apologized to us in the past for his hands being tied).

Forum List

Back