Homeschooling On The Rise??

My son is in the Military, they live in NC. My DIL had been homeschooling the 2 older kids (ages 6 & 8) for a couple years now and the kids are as smart or smarter than kids their age in public school. She also kept them involved in school activities so they didn't feel they were missing out on anything. They decided this year to start them in a Charter school and it seems to be working out pretty well. The school systems in the area they live aren't the best....a guy a work with used to teach elementary in the same town and quit because they were so bad. He said the best thing they could do is homeschool or send them to a private school. They wanted to send them to a Christian school but really couldn't afford that. But my DIL did a great job while she did it.

Now, my ex-DIL that didn't even finish 10th grade decided to homeschool my other 2 grandsons and they were really struggling. Of course she couldn't help them, and her husband is a lazy SOB and really didn't care. Now that my son has custody of the boys they're going to public school, but are having a hard time catching up with the rest.

It really makes a difference as to the REASON people homeschool, and if they're smart enough to teach. There should be a test for parents to take to see if they're willing and able.

Thanks PC! That graph shows that the average stay at home Mom or Dad is a better Teacher than the average Public School Teacher can EVER be.
This probably because of the ratio of 1 student per teacher. One would probably do as well or better in public school with this ratio.

Thanks PC! That graph shows that the average stay at home Mom or Dad is a better Teacher than the average Public School Teacher can EVER be.
This probably because of the ratio of 1 student per teacher. One would probably do as well or better in public school with this ratio.

Too bad you weren't homeschooled, huh?

My son is in the Military, they live in NC. My DIL had been homeschooling the 2 older kids (ages 6 & 8) for a couple years now and the kids are as smart or smarter than kids their age in public school. She also kept them involved in school activities so they didn't feel they were missing out on anything. They decided this year to start them in a Charter school and it seems to be working out pretty well. The school systems in the area they live aren't the best....a guy a work with used to teach elementary in the same town and quit because they were so bad. He said the best thing they could do is homeschool or send them to a private school. They wanted to send them to a Christian school but really couldn't afford that. But my DIL did a great job while she did it.

Now, my ex-DIL that didn't even finish 10th grade decided to homeschool my other 2 grandsons and they were really struggling. Of course she couldn't help them, and her husband is a lazy SOB and really didn't care. Now that my son has custody of the boys they're going to public school, but are having a hard time catching up with the rest.

It really makes a difference as to the REASON people homeschool, and if they're smart enough to teach. There should be a test for parents to take to see if they're willing and able.

".... if they're smart enough to teach. There should be a test for parents to take to see if they're willing and able."

It was gratifying to read your post.

But don't overlook this: no matter how smart or well intentioned government school teachers are.....

.....they are hobbled and handicapped by the curricula put in place by the Leftists who run the indoctrination industry.

1. The federally funded “National History Standards” for elementary schools were released in 1994, cemented a revisionist view of American Communism for schoolteachers, as the guide mentions McCarthy over twenty times, while Edison and the Wright Brothers got no mention. “It …repeatedly condemns McCarthyism as an unmitigated evil…[but] the Hiss-Chambers and Rosenberg cases, the two dominant controversies of the anticommunist era, are described with bland, neutral language crafted to keep from implying guilt while not being quite so foolhardy as to actually assert innocence..’National Standards’…implies that the cases are part and parcel of the McCartyite horror.”
From “In Denial,” by Haynes and Klehr, pg. 151

2. Revisionist views are found, for example, in the work of Ellen Wolf Schrecker, Ph.D., a professor of American history at Yeshiva University, who states “ whatever threat to the United States such espionage [by US citizens working for Soviet intelligence] may have posed, it was gone by the time the main justification for the McCarthy-era purges.” The revisionists claim that the greater sin was not the betrayal of the country by American Communists, but anticommunists using that betrayal as “a rationalization for the most widespread and the longest-lasting episode of political repression in our nation’s history.”

Homeschooling parents are not saddled with this unjust burden.

So I suppose your point is that public school would be as successful as home school if public schools were home schools.

Thanks

This makes zero sense
Have someone who was homeschooled explain it to you.
What one looks for in a school is smaller classes so that the teachers can give more time to the kids. In homeschooling, the parent only had one student and can give them undevided attention.

This makes zero sense
What one looks for in a school is smaller classes so that the teachers can give more time to the kids. In homeschooling, the parent only had one student and can give them undevided attention.
Again you fail unless you believe only families with one child homeschool.

This makes zero sense
Again you fail unless you believe only families with one child homeschool.
Are you saying that it is an equal student to child ratio as a classroom with 30 plus students in it? There could also be more than one person teaching in homeschooling.

Home schooling normal involves much lower teacher to student ratios with a much higher ratio of one to one tutoring.

This makes zero sense

You point seems to be that home-schooled kids are more successful because they have smaller class sizes.

Obviously.

Is there any other point, other than agreeing that home-schooling is more successful than public schooling?

Home schooling normal involves much lower teacher to student ratios with a much higher ratio of one to one tutoring.

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Are you saying that it is an equal student to child ratio as a classroom with 30 plus students in it? There could also be more than one person teaching in homeschooling.
No. I am just trying to get a handle on your exaggerations.

Th

Captain_Obvious.jpg
Then why am I being argued with about the student to teacher ratio?

Is anyone arguing?

I'm only wondering why one would feel the need to bring up the obvious: The ratio is much lower, and adds to the chances of student success in a home-schooled environment opposed to a public school environment.

".... if they're smart enough to teach. There should be a test for parents to take to see if they're willing and able."

It was gratifying to read your post.

But don't overlook this: no matter how smart or well intentioned government school teachers are.....

.....they are hobbled and handicapped by the curricula put in place by the Leftists who run the indoctrination industry.

1. The federally funded “National History Standards” for elementary schools were released in 1994, cemented a revisionist view of American Communism for schoolteachers, as the guide mentions McCarthy over twenty times, while Edison and the Wright Brothers got no mention. “It …repeatedly condemns McCarthyism as an unmitigated evil…[but] the Hiss-Chambers and Rosenberg cases, the two dominant controversies of the anticommunist era, are described with bland, neutral language crafted to keep from implying guilt while not being quite so foolhardy as to actually assert innocence..’National Standards’…implies that the cases are part and parcel of the McCartyite horror.”
From “In Denial,” by Haynes and Klehr, pg. 151

2. Revisionist views are found, for example, in the work of Ellen Wolf Schrecker, Ph.D., a professor of American history at Yeshiva University, who states “ whatever threat to the United States such espionage [by US citizens working for Soviet intelligence] may have posed, it was gone by the time the main justification for the McCarthy-era purges.” The revisionists claim that the greater sin was not the betrayal of the country by American Communists, but anticommunists using that betrayal as “a rationalization for the most widespread and the longest-lasting episode of political repression in our nation’s history.”

Homeschooling parents are not saddled with this unjust burden.

That's so true! The guy I work with that used to teach in the town in NC where my son lives, said that his hands were always tied, he couldn't teach the way he thought was the best, he had to abide by all the rules/regulations that the system had in place. It was very frustrating for him.

This makes zero sense

My DIL taught her 2 older kids, 2 grades apart. People DO have more than 1 child usually, they all need to be taught.

Forum List

Back