Homeschooling On The Rise??

Lack of social interaction is libspeak for refusal to use drugs.

Social interaction:

"Kindergarten teacher suspended after two of her students, aged five, are caught 'having sex' in school bathroom"
Kids five found having sex in kindergarten bathroom by teacher now facing the axe Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
and you're choosing to blame that on the teacher rather than the parents of those two students.

do you see my concern for homeschooling now?

idiots raising idiots. hooray.

You've just catapulted into the idiot category.

"Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

National Average Percentile Scores
SubtestHomeschoolPublic School
Reading8950
Language8450
Math8450
Science8650
Social Studies8450
Corea8850
Compositeb8650
a. Core is a combination of Reading, Language, and Math.
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test."
HSLDA New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
do you understand what a percentile is?
i have no doubt that home schooling works for some people, and that their children do well. although those parents with the time and resources to truly home school correctly would have the time and resources to make sure their children are doing well and receiving a good education if their children attended public schools.

my main concern is that not every parent is equipped to be a teacher. for instance, i took calculus classes in high school. my parents are smart people, with advanced degrees, but neither of them could teach me calculus. I could teach my child calculus, but I don't have sufficient skills in the language arts to teach them well.

and knowledge aside, if you're keeping your kids out of schools because you want to indoctrinate them and avoid exposing them to other ideas you're an idiot, no matter how well your child scores academically.

Shakespeare, in one of my favorite sonnets...

'...oh none, unless this miracle have might
That in black ink my love will still shine bright.'

And now, from you....another miracle:

A white flag in black ink!

"Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

Reading8950
Language8450
Math8450
Science8650
Social Studies8450
Corea8850
Compositeb8650
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test."

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
i have no doubt that home schooling works for some people, and that their children do well. although those parents with the time and resources to truly home school correctly would have the time and resources to make sure their children are doing well and receiving a good education if their children attended public schools.

my main concern is that not every parent is equipped to be a teacher. for instance, i took calculus classes in high school. my parents are smart people, with advanced degrees, but neither of them could teach me calculus. I could teach my child calculus, but I don't have sufficient skills in the language arts to teach them well.

and knowledge aside, if you're keeping your kids out of schools because you want to indoctrinate them and avoid exposing them to other ideas you're an idiot, no matter how well your child scores academically.

so no, you don't understand what a percentile is.

There are many resources out there today that make homeschooling a great option for lots of families. As mentioned above the K12 curriculum is really good. My organization works with several homeschooled children and it is our main resource.
there are good resources out there now, i don't disagree. but again, there's no reason those resources couldn't be used with kids in public schools to supplement or enhance their education.
This is true, but the fundamental fact that many parents fear the bad influenced in public schools is why homeschooling even exists.

As a sahm it was a full time job helping the kids with curriculum and keeping them from being "indoctinated"...specifically after 911, sex and man made global warming. I knew homeschooling parents who failed their kids and who were fantastic at it. The jury is still out imo.

Neither is a homeschooled child.
true.but that's not relevant to whether or not the parent of a public school student can give their child one one one learning time and attention.[/QUOTE]

When did that ever come up? A teacher in a school cannot give a student 1 on 1 percentage 100% of the time. I said that in response to your post that homeschool resources would be put to better use in a public school. When in fact they wouldn't because they are not designed for that.

TheOldSchool said:
Neither is a homeschooled child.
true.but that's not relevant to whether or not the parent of a public school student can give their child one one one learning time and attention.

When did that ever come up? A teacher in a school cannot give a student 1 on 1 percentage 100% of the time. I said that in response to your post that homeschool resources would be put to better use in a public school. When in fact they wouldn't because they are not designed for that.
oh i'm sorry, i think we got our wires crossed. i'm saying the parent of any child can use whatever resources they want, and their are some good ones out there, to help with their child's education regardless of if that child is in a public school, private school, or home schooled.

Home schooling vs. Public School seems to be a choice in most states. With only < 4% of students being home schooled, Public School Teachers have little to be concerned about.

The rise of home schooling since 1970's probably has as much to do with technological improvements (The Internet), as anything else ("Liberal Education Establishment Boogie-men")...

But I don't expect the Partisan Agenda of the OP to accept Obvious Facts: Instead I expect croaking and chirping.

The Results

Reading8950
Language8450
Math8450
Science8650
Social Studies8450
Corea8850
Compositeb8650

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am always surprised how a little knowledge may inflate a deflated ego.
There's no room for faith, truth, nor honesty in this bosom of thine. It is all filled up with guts and midriff.

Taken from: Henry IV, part I

For those that are able to homeschool I commend them. The problem is that most families don't make enough money where only 1 personworking makes nearly enough to survive. That happened in the early 80's. Who was prez then? Most working class(the ones the parties throw under the bus to help the rich) can no longer afford 1 person working so who is there to teach? Homeschooling is for the wealthy.

For those that are able to homeschool I commend them. The problem is that most families don't make enough money where only 1 personworking makes nearly enough to survive. That happened in the early 80's. Who was prez then? Most working class(the ones the parties throw under the bus to help the rich) can no longer afford 1 person working so who is there to teach? Homeschooling is for the wealthy.
Income Levels of Homeschool Families Intellectual Takeout ITO

1."...happened in the early 80's. Who was prez then?"
Let's dispose of your Leftist nonsense....

"During this seven-year recovery, the economy grew by almost one-third, the equivalent of adding the entire economy of West Germany, the third-largest in the world at the time, to the U.S. economy. In 1984 alone real economic growth boomed by 6.8%, the highest in 50 years. Nearly 20 million new jobs were created during the recovery, increasing U.S. civilian employment by almost 20%. Unemployment fell to 5.3% by 1989.

Real per-capita disposable income increased by 18% from 1982 to 1989, meaning the American standard of living increased by almost 20% in just seven years. The poverty rate declined every year from 1984 to 1989, dropping by one-sixth from its peak. The stock market more than tripled in value from 1980 to 1990, a larger increase than in any previous decade."
Reaganomics Vs. Obamanomics Facts And Figures - Forbes

2. Now, let's take care of you:
"The problem is that most families don't make enough money where only 1 personworking makes nearly enough to survive."

a. "That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest."
Henry David Thoreau.

So...if that new car is more important than your children's education....speaks volumes.

b. Do you know what "survive" means?
Your post sounds like teenage hyperbole.

c. Do know that the biggest bar to becoming wealthy is taxes?
But he did identify what he called “tactical lessons.” He let himself look too much like “the same old tax-and-spend liberal Democrat.” http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/magazine/17obama-t.html

"
c. Do know that the biggest bar to becoming wealthy is taxes"
Hogwash. Those in the middle class today aren't going to survive on one salary no matter what copied quote you post. That disposes of you.

Unemployme3nt rate means nothing if one is making a low wage. I lived through it and saw it. That was the transition period of one salary to two. No matter what quotes you toss out, I will go with my actual experience. The rich sure did well though.

Agree.

They're not qualified to teach anything more than bible thumping.

I've known some home schooled kids and found their "education" to be very lop sided.

OTOH, they might be able to work at home using computers, order pizza on their computer, buy their clothing (bathrobes?) on their computer and marry someone from their own "church".

The OP is a good example. She posts these really strange tirades, oddly formatted, each just like the one before and all very one sided. But don't ask her to converse.

Agree.

They're not qualified to teach anything more than bible thumping.

I've known some home schooled kids and found their "education" to be very lop sided.

OTOH, they might be able to work at home using computers, order pizza on their computer, buy their clothing (bathrobes?) on their computer and marry someone from their own "church".

The OP is a good example. She posts these really strange tirades, oddly formatted, each just like the one before and all very one sided. But don't ask her to converse.

Why do you suppose they score higher on standardized testes than government school grads?

Never mind....like most things, the question is over your head.

Forum List

Back