Homeschooling On The Rise??

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have been following the numbers of homeschoolers.....

1. "Data from the 1999 NHES showed an estimated 850,000 homeschooled students in the United States—about 1.7 percent of the school-age population (Bielick, Chandler, and Broughman 2001). The increase in the homeschooling rate (from 1.7 percent in 1999 to 2.2 percent in 2003 to 2.9 percent in 2007) represents a 74 percent relative increase over the 8-year period and a 36 percent relative increase since 2003."
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009030.pdf

That was published in 2009.

Now this:

2. "In North Carolina, the number of homeschoolers has now surpassed the number of students attending private schools....the homeschooling movement, which has rapidly increased in recent decades.

3. In 1973, there were approximately 13,000 children, ages 5 to 17, being homeschooled in the United States. ... as of the 2011-2012 school year, that number has grown to almost 1.8 million or approximately 3.4 percent of the school age population. Other sources report numbers well over 2 million.

4. In the Tar Heel state alone, homeschooling has increased by 27 percent over the past two years.

5. ....pretty impressive numbers for a movement considered “fringe” not that long ago and that has only been legal in all 50 states since 1996.

6. The Department of Education, which surely isn’t happy with the trend, has tracked the issue since 2003. According to its findings:

• In 2003, 85 percent of parents said they chose homeschooling because of “a concern about the school environment” which included worry about safety, drugs or negative peer pressure. That number jumped to 91 percent by 2011.
  • In 2003, 72 percent said “a desire to provide religious or moral instruction” was a major reason. In 2011, that number had increased to 77 percent.
  • In 2003, 68 percent said “dissatisfaction with academic instruction at other schools” contributed to their decision. By 2011, that was up to 74 percent.
7. ...my guess is when the figures are reported related to the past two years you’ll see the number of parents citing “dissatisfaction with academic instruction” spike with the growing uprising against Common Core and national standards.

8. ....the public education establishment don’t find homeschooling up to their standards. The National Education Association, the country’s largest teacher’s union,declared in a 2011 resolution: “The National Education Association believes that homeschooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience.”

9. ....the actual results from homeschooling. According to Education News:
Recent studies laud homeschoolers’ academic success, noting their significantly higher ACT-Composite scores as high schoolers and higher grade point averages as college students.

10. Yet surprisingly, the average expenditure for the education of a homeschooled child, per year, is $500 to $600, compared to an average expenditure of $10,000 per child, per year, for public school students.
What is not calculated in the cost line above for homeschooling is the time spent by a parent teaching."
In One State More Children Homeschool Than Attend Private Schools.

What is not mentioned, as well, is the decision by homeschool parents to have children more like themselves, rather than the mind-numbed automatons that government schools turn out.

Having coached over 50 rec teams over a 20 year span I had a lot of home schooled kids. My thoughts and experience with them are the majority are far ahead of the public schools in all areas of academic study, especially in math, science and reading. I had a few that were just the opposite. Some parents keep their kids out of the public schools because they believe the kids are being taught things that are opposite what their religion teaches and then go to the extreme on it. I had one kid in particular that was an all star football player. Neighborhood kid with a mother gone nuts on religion. Home "schooled" from an on line course I do not know how got approved here but this is the Bible Belt. "Gary" was a good kid but sheltered and was as dumb as a brick academically because his mother did not really care as long as Gary did not have to go to the evil school and be indoctrinated. Real story was she was sheltering Gary and could care less about his education. Tens of thousands of home schooled kids are this way. Gary eventually got away from his mother as his parents divorced and the father took him. He went to the high school and excelled after a few years on and off the football field. We have had a real problem with their court fights also wanting use after hours of all public school facilities such as sports fields, chemistry lab, libraries, etc. and have won every fight. The lack of social interaction often hurts these kids but I see them as a whole far better educated out of high school than the norm and that, after all is said is done, is the most important thing. Academics is where it is at and even more so now if you do play ball because few colleges and universities want to waste an academic scholarship on someone that will not be eligible the next year.

Having coached over 50 rec teams over a 20 year span I had a lot of home schooled kids. My thoughts and experience with them are the majority are far ahead of the public schools in all areas of academic study, especially in math, science and reading. I had a few that were just the opposite. Some parents keep their kids out of the public schools because they believe the kids are being taught things that are opposite what their religion teaches and then go to the extreme on it. I had one kid in particular that was an all star football player. Neighborhood kid with a mother gone nuts on religion. Home "schooled" from an on line course I do not know how got approved here but this is the Bible Belt. "Gary" was a good kid but sheltered and was as dumb as a brick academically because his mother did not really care as long as Gary did not have to go to the evil school and be indoctrinated. Real story was she was sheltering Gary and could care less about his education. Tens of thousands of home schooled kids are this way. Gary eventually got away from his mother as his parents divorced and the father took him. He went to the high school and excelled after a few years on and off the football field. We have had a real problem with their court fights also wanting use after hours of all public school facilities such as sports fields, chemistry lab, libraries, etc. and have won every fight. The lack of social interaction often hurts these kids but I see them as a whole far better educated out of high school than the norm and that, after all is said is done, is the most important thing. Academics is where it is at and even more so now if you do play ball because few colleges and universities want to waste an academic scholarship on someone that will not be eligible the next year.

We've used several on line course....I really like Bill Bennett's "K12.com"

This "story" of abused home schoolers with no social skills as been going on for a long time and I don't believe it. Stupid Americans need to stop protecting a failed organization. If WalMart sold a sh*tty product you'd be returning it the same day but if yer kid fails tests you say nothing. Not a f*ckin' thing.

Who wins the Scrips Spelling Bees every year? It aint the kid from PS 128 in Noo Yawk. (No offense intended PC)

You don't need Public Schools to learn Social Skills in fact, I'd say Public Schools just mess kids up. After school I participated in Sports and Social Clubs with NO affiliation to Public Schools and I did just fine. So did Millions of other kids.

idiots raising idiots. hooray.

You've just catapulted into the idiot category.

"Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

National Average Percentile Scores

Subtest

Homeschool

Public School

Reading

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

Corea

Compositeb

a. Core is a combination of Reading, Language, and Math.
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test."
HSLDA New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

idiots raising idiots. hooray.

You've just catapulted into the idiot category.

"Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

National Average Percentile Scores
SubtestHomeschoolPublic School
Reading8950
Language8450
Math8450
Science8650
Social Studies8450
Corea8850
Compositeb8650
a. Core is a combination of Reading, Language, and Math.
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test."
HSLDA New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
do you understand what a percentile is?
i have no doubt that home schooling works for some people, and that their children do well. although those parents with the time and resources to truly home school correctly would have the time and resources to make sure their children are doing well and receiving a good education if their children attended public schools.

my main concern is that not every parent is equipped to be a teacher. for instance, i took calculus classes in high school. my parents are smart people, with advanced degrees, but neither of them could teach me calculus. I could teach my child calculus, but I don't have sufficient skills in the language arts to teach them well.

and knowledge aside, if you're keeping your kids out of schools because you want to indoctrinate them and avoid exposing them to other ideas you're an idiot, no matter how well your child scores academically.

Last edited:
Thanks PC! That graph shows that the average stay at home Mom or Dad is a better Teacher than the average Public School Teacher can EVER be.

This "story" of abused home schoolers with no social skills as been going on for a long time and I don't believe it. Stupid Americans need to stop protecting a failed organization. If WalMart sold a sh*tty product you'd be returning it the same day but if yer kid fails tests you say nothing. Not a f*ckin' thing.

Who wins the Scrips Spelling Bees every year? It aint the kid from PS 128 in Noo Yawk. (No offense intended PC)
Agreed. All home schooled kids I have met have regular social interactions with other kids through sports, music lessons and other events their parents see to it they are involved in. I am SO impressed with the kids and their manners and grace. They were born unto some dedicated and unselfish parents.

There are many resources out there today that make homeschooling a great option for lots of families. As mentioned above the K12 curriculum is really good. My organization works with several homeschooled children and it is our main resource.
there are good resources out there now, i don't disagree. but again, there's no reason those resources couldn't be used with kids in public schools to supplement or enhance their education.

there are good resources out there now, i don't disagree. but again, there's no reason those resources couldn't be used with kids in public schools to supplement or enhance their education.
I can think of two: Teachers wouldn't understand it.
Teachers Unions.

Also, are you admitting that Public School needs "Supplementation or Enhancement?". It ISN'T Perfect?

There are many resources out there today that make homeschooling a great option for lots of families. As mentioned above the K12 curriculum is really good. My organization works with several homeschooled children and it is our main resource.

Sure there is. You can't give a kid one on one attention all the time in Public School.

Sure there is. You can't give a kid one on one attention all the time in Public School.
no, you can't. but a child isn't in school 24/7 either.

I can think of two: Teachers wouldn't understand it.
Teachers Unions.

Also, are you admitting that Public School needs "Supplementation or Enhancement?". It ISN'T Perfect?
you don't know many teachers, do you?
i'm saying that all parents need to be involved in the education of their children, and that if as a parent you are completely giving that responsibility over to the schools than you are a failure as a parent, no question.

New Topics

Forum List

Back