Home Depot Founder Speaks To Obama Through Op-ed

If there were no Home depots, where would the illegals shake down Americans while pretending to look for work?

If there were no Home depots, where would the illegals shake down Americans while pretending to look for work?

Yeah, local communities "hate" big box stores, but they won't interfere with the illegals hanging around the parking lot looking for work.

Local communities I have seen love the big box stores.

If they didn't, the big box stores wouldn't be able to stay in business there.

I find it ironic that the communities that "hate" big-box-stores exclusively shop at them. Industry responds to consumers...shop only at tiny stores, and big-box-stores would disappear.

I've even seen well-off Long Island liberals, who rant and rave about evil corporatism, shop at Wal-Mart for the convenience!

Last edited:
Seems he tried to do so in person, didn't get far:

Ken Langone: Stop Bashing Business, Mr. President - WSJ.com

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

Stop Bashing Business, Mr. President
If we tried to start The Home Depot today, it's a stone cold certainty that it would never have gotten off the ground.

By KEN LANGONE

Although I was glad that you answered a question of mine at the Sept. 20 town-hall meeting you hosted in Washington, D.C., Mr. President, I must say that the event seemed more like a lecture than a dialogue. For more than two years the country has listened to your sharp rhetoric about how American businesses are short-changing workers, fleecing customers, cheating borrowers, and generally "driving the economy into a ditch," to borrow your oft-repeated phrase.

My question to you was why, during a time when investment and dynamism are so critical to our country, was it necessary to vilify the very people who deliver that growth? Instead of offering a straight answer, you informed me that I was part of a "reckless" group that had made "bad decisions" and now required your guidance, if only I'd stop "resisting" it.

I'm sure that kind of argument draws cheers from the partisan faithful. But to my ears it sounded patronizing. Of course, one of the chief conceits of centralized economic planning is that the planners know better than everybody else...

Like Whole Foods, it must be time to BOYCOTT Home Depot, Comrades!

I applaud this idea...my thought is, the fewer big box stores we patronize, the better.

Shop small, local businesses folks.

Leftwing-ism has killed the little man.

Am I the only one amused by a succession of conservatives nodding their heads in agreement to a WSJ editorial pining for the low taxes and lax regulatory environment of the Carter years? There's got to be somebody else out there getting a kick out of this.

when you put out something in particular maybe someone will answer, until then your one liners don't mean much, they're pretty much trolls, speak up and make your case....

Last edited:

Yeah, local communities "hate" big box stores, but they won't interfere with the illegals hanging around the parking lot looking for work.

Local communities I have seen love the big box stores.

If they didn't, the big box stores wouldn't be able to stay in business there.

In many small towns the Big bad Box stores are one of the largest employers. It is a love hate relationship. Mom and pops stores are nice, but in many communities they do not supply enough jobs, Big box stores come in, and yes some mom and pops go out of business but the net effect is a net positive gain in Jobs. As well as more affordable goods for the people living there.

I find it ironic that the communities that "hate" big-box-stores exclusively shop at them. Industry responds to consumers...shop only at tiny stores, and big-box-stores would disappear.

I've even seen well-off Long Island liberals, who rant and rave about evil corporatism, shop at Wal-Mart for the convenience!

Correct. The CONSUMER is the enemy because they want the best value.

The worship of the mega-rich in this country just stupifies me. How can any intelligent person actually believe in "trickle down"? "Pissed on" would be more like it.

"great recession" pushes gap between rich and poor to record levels: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Unemployment Climbs in 27 States The Washington Independent

Are any of you really so fucking stupid you cannot connect the dots here?

I take it you are one of those who believes in The Democrat's "Flood the Basement" theory of economics. You know... the one that has succeeded in flooding the basement with the unemployed.

Immie

Not raise taxes..but allow Bush tax cuts to expire. And it's 250k not 200.
Six vs. half a dozen.

And how do you qualify rich?
Rich includes the 49% of Americans who pay Federal income tax.

First off..the Bush tax cuts had no justification. None. And if you add in that the Bush administration larded brand new expenses to the taxpayers..this becomes acute.

What a bunch of crap, it will never cease to amaze me how stupid liberals really are, no justification?!?!?! Did you go to any school? Have you opened a history book on lets say the last 250 years? This great country that protects your dumb ass was founded on that simple principle......

And making 250K in my book..for the most part..is pretty rich. I make half that amount, in NYC..and am quite comfortable. I have a manhattan co-op..travel around the world and dine at expensive establishments.

By your definition alone, you're selfish. Are you not a liberal? Do liberals make a $125K, live in uptown Manhattan co-op's, travel the world and dine at exclusive restaurants? Apparently you're single to, try funding your lifestyle and a family of 5 (3 kids), save for retirement, collage and see if $125K still meets your needs.....

When you wake up from your fantasy and deal with what most American families do, try telling me then that $250K belongs in the same tax bracket with Buffett, et al....

Buffett, Gates, Jobs, etc.... are out of touch with the American family....I know Warren is an extremely brilliant financier, many kudos, but his statement relating to his secretary taxes is pure hyperbole, his corporations pay for most if not all of his expenses, the rest of us pay for our own.....

Corporate right wing tools are a fascinating group. They defend corporations over people as if they too were corporations. Actually I guess their defense is more like instructions from 'Chairman Corporation,' and thus they just post WSJ corporatist nonsense without wondering what motivates such horse manure.

But blaming Obama for your whatever that piece blames him for is just plain stupid. Obama didn't create the current economic situation, this was in the works for many years now. And if home depot were such a fabulous business, why are they complaining? Oh that's right the economy almost collapsed after republican rule. Guess he forgot that small piece.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Risk-Out-Democracy-Communication/dp/0252066162/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Taking the Risk Out of Democracy: Corporate Propaganda versus Freedom and Liberty (History of Communication) (9780252066160): Alex Carey: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Looks like the depot isn't a saintly place to work? lol

"Home Depot settled the suit in September 2004 but denied any workplace misconduct.

"On or about Nov. 2, 2004, Home Depot sent the three settlement checks to Ms. Hainline. On Nov. 24, 2004, Ms. Hainline was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into alleged violations of Home Depot's alleged policies or practices," according to Monday's suit.

Home Depot fired her the following month "because she opposed discriminatory practices and participated in an EEOC proceeding," the suit said." Home Depot sued over firing - The Denver Post

"Home Depot, Kmart and Texaco are just a few of the many large, successful companies that have been slapped with lawsuits based on allegations of pay discrimination or employment law violations related to compensation and promotion practices. The EEOC has pursued discrimination charges while the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division has increased its investigations of minimum wage, overtime and child labor law violations." http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/New+Developments+In+Employee+Lawsuits++(Jan.+4,+1999)

Home Depot settles California wage case for $25.5 million | ajc.com

Corporate right wing tools are a fascinating group. They defend corporations over people as if they too were corporations.
You attack corporations as though they are staffed and run by devilspawn. Corporate employees and customers are people, too.

Last edited:
The worship of the mega-rich in this country just stupifies me. How can any intelligent person actually believe in "trickle down"? "Pissed on" would be more like it.

"great recession" pushes gap between rich and poor to record levels: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Unemployment Climbs in 27 States The Washington Independent

Are any of you really so fucking stupid you cannot connect the dots here?

I take it you are one of those who believes in The Democrat's "Flood the Basement" theory of economics. You know... the one that has succeeded in flooding the basement with the unemployed.

Immie

Funny Unemployment was 4% the last time Republicans controlled congress, and 5.7% when Bush left office.

What is it at now again? :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Corporate right wing tools are a fascinating group. They defend corporations over people as if they too were corporations.
You attack corporations as though they are staffed and run by devilspawn. Corporate employees and customers are people, too.

Does it surprise you?

She pimps a book with a forward by Noam Chomsky.
Just strikes me as hypocritical...dehumanizing others when convenient.

O ya. Support big businesses run by greedy rich assholes with no sense of patriotism.

Lemme sign right up for that.

I would respond to your post, but I do need to get down to Home Depot to pick up a few things for this winter. No better place for the variety of brands for my needs. I may stop off at Lowes on the way home.

Last edited:

Yeah, we well-off Long Island liberals like to shop at Wal-Mart especially when we're in the mood to watch fat women in sweatpants smack the crap out of their kids.

Forum List

Back