Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems he tried to do so in person, didn't get far:

Ken Langone: Stop Bashing Business, Mr. President - WSJ.com

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

Stop Bashing Business, Mr. President
If we tried to start The Home Depot today, it's a stone cold certainty that it would never have gotten off the ground.

By KEN LANGONE

Although I was glad that you answered a question of mine at the Sept. 20 town-hall meeting you hosted in Washington, D.C., Mr. President, I must say that the event seemed more like a lecture than a dialogue. For more than two years the country has listened to your sharp rhetoric about how American businesses are short-changing workers, fleecing customers, cheating borrowers, and generally "driving the economy into a ditch," to borrow your oft-repeated phrase.

My question to you was why, during a time when investment and dynamism are so critical to our country, was it necessary to vilify the very people who deliver that growth? Instead of offering a straight answer, you informed me that I was part of a "reckless" group that had made "bad decisions" and now required your guidance, if only I'd stop "resisting" it.

I'm sure that kind of argument draws cheers from the partisan faithful. But to my ears it sounded patronizing. Of course, one of the chief conceits of centralized economic planning is that the planners know better than everybody else...

Like Whole Foods, it must be time to BOYCOTT Home Depot, Comrades!

Last edited:

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

If we tried to start The Home Depot today, it's a stone cold certainty that it would never have gotten off the ground.

By KEN LANGONE

Although I was glad that you answered a question of mine at the Sept. 20 town-hall meeting you hosted in Washington, D.C., Mr. President, I must say that the event seemed more like a lecture than a dialogue. For more than two years the country has listened to your sharp rhetoric about how American businesses are short-changing workers, fleecing customers, cheating borrowers, and generally "driving the economy into a ditch," to borrow your oft-repeated phrase.

My question to you was why, during a time when investment and dynamism are so critical to our country, was it necessary to vilify the very people who deliver that growth? Instead of offering a straight answer, you informed me that I was part of a "reckless" group that had made "bad decisions" and now required your guidance, if only I'd stop "resisting" it.

I'm sure that kind of argument draws cheers from the partisan faithful. But to my ears it sounded patronizing. Of course, one of the chief conceits of centralized economic planning is that the planners know better than everybody else...

I applaud this idea...my thought is, the fewer big box stores we patronize, the better.

Shop small, local businesses folks.

This is from last year. Emerson telling us all how unfriendly this admin is to business:
On November 11, David N. Farr, Chairman, CEO and President of Emerson Electric Co., announced at the Baird 2009 Industrial Conference in Chicago that President Obama has succeeded in chasing his multi-billion dollar industry right out of the U.S.A. Why? Onerous regulation, high taxes, and the over $1 trillion Obama debt should be reason enough for any business to consider shutting down U.S. facilities and seeking greener pastures overseas says Farr.

The federal government is “doing everything in [its] manpower [and] capability to destroy U.S. manufacturing,” says David Farr, chairman and CEO of Emerson Electric Co., in a presentation at the Baird 2009 Industrial Conference in Chicago Ill., on Nov. 11. In comments reported by Bloomberg, Farr added that companies will continue adding jobs in China and India because they are “places where people want the products and where the governments welcome you to actually do something. I am not going to hire anybody in the United States. I’m moving. They are doing everything possible to destroy jobs.”

Obama’s government with its discouraging interference in the market and the deleterious effects that has had on the national business climate all tends to make foreign shores seem very attractive for American business. At a time when the U.S. is losing almost as many jobs as the last four recessions combined Obama is making the business climate much worse with his policies. But, this shouldn’t surprise anyone. Barack Obama is a good ol’ Illinois pol, after all. And Illinois ranks among the worst business climates in the country.
emerson electric - Big Government

And, a Google search of "emerson offshore" (no quotes) demonstrates that Emerson has been quite busy following through.

O ya. Support big businesses run by greedy rich assholes with no sense of patriotism.

Lemme sign right up for that.

Instead the administration has been bashing business and wondering why the economy is not recovering. That's not just hurting the administration, but hundreds of thousands, even millions of citizens. These folks need to go!

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

By KEN LANGONE

I applaud this idea...my thought is, the fewer big box stores we patronize, the better.

screw the Hundreds of Thousands of Workers, and stock holders who would suffer right. We gotta save Local business at all costs!!!

lol

O ya. Support big businesses run by greedy rich assholes with no sense of patriotism.

Stop kidding yourself. If a mom and pop local business could make more money by outsourcing jobs, or Buying from China instead of US companies they would.

Stop expecting Business to be patriotic. Business exist to make profit, not Protect US interests.

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

By KEN LANGONE

I think I'll make shopping trips to both HD and WF today!

* OPINION
* OCTOBER 15, 2010

By KEN LANGONE

You know what would be cool, Mads? If you engaged your brain before posting.

Big businesses started off as small businesses.

Show me a small business that does NOT want to grow into a larger business, and I'll show you a business that will eventually fail.

Am I the only one amused by a succession of conservatives nodding their heads in agreement to a WSJ editorial pining for the low taxes and lax regulatory environment of the Carter years? There's got to be somebody else out there getting a kick out of this.

Am I the only one amused by a succession of conservatives nodding their heads in agreement to a WSJ editorial pining for the low taxes and lax regulatory environment of the Carter years? There's got to be somebody else out there getting a kick out of this.

Who is doing that exactly?

Most of us are just questioning Mads logic in wanting all Box stores boycotted :)

How many of you buy American?

How often do you check that what you buy is manufactured, grown or produced in your own country?

Yes, we should support small, local business but firstly just fucking buy American.

Forum List

Back