History Of Gingrich Ethics Violations

Reagan was before my time and I didn't vote for McCain.

I personally find the 'mommy he did it too' excuse unacceptable. I don't care if half of congress have done it. I will not support these people.

For (insert optional deity here) sake, you're talking about a potential President of the United States. Is it not about time we demanded that the person match the office?

So, you're going to vote for Obama?

If you're expecting perfection, then you should look somewhere besides politicians. We are electing a president, not an angel.

If the GOP put up Gingrich, yea.... I might vote for Obama. I don't want an 'angel', but an honest man would be good. I like honesty.... I know that puts me slightly off kilter with both sides of the political spectrum, but that's ok. You are welcome to vote for a lying, cheating, amoral, self serving corrupt, childish twit. Just don't ask me to.

The dirty little secret is that everybody does it but democrats were out to get him and they kept filing ethics charges until something stuck. Nancy Pelosi used insider info to buy stock before it was on the market and sold it after it was offered to the public. She made a "legal" killing but was it ethical? Barney Fwank told Americans that Fannie Mae was solvent when it was on the brink of collapse and he is yet to be questioned about it. Democrat Jim Moran used confidential information from the treasury dept to dump 100,000 worth of stock just before Fannie Mae collapsed. Republicans don't have the clout to engage in the same dirty tricks that democrats are skilled at.

As far as I am concerned, there is a hairs difference between Gingrich and Pelosi. Neither of them deserve the honor of serving 'We, the People'.

I personally find the 'mommy he did it too' excuse unacceptable. I don't care if half of congress have done it. I will not support these people.

For (insert optional deity here) sake, you're talking about a potential President of the United States. Is it not about time we demanded that the person match the office?

If you're expecting perfection, then you should look somewhere besides politicians. We are electing a president, not an angel.

If the GOP put up Gingrich, yea.... I might vote for Obama. I don't want an 'angel', but an honest man would be good. I like honesty.... I know that puts me slightly off kilter with both sides of the political spectrum, but that's ok. You are welcome to vote for a lying, cheating, amoral, self serving corrupt, childish twit. Just don't ask me to.

So again, how is putting thousands of people out of good paying jobs to make yourself richer moral, but not filing tax paperwork properly or divorcing a rather nasty harpy of a wife immoral.

Again, I count morality as not "did I break the rules" but as "did my actions hurt someone who didn't have it coming."

You have yet to demonstrate that Newt hurt anyone but his ex-wives, and least one of whom deserves no real sympathy, being a homewrecker herself.

Mittens destroyed hundreds of families through his vulture capitalism.

"It's only Business" rates up there with "I was only following orders" in the arena of poor excuses.

The dirty little secret is that everybody does it but democrats were out to get him and they kept filing ethics charges until something stuck. Nancy Pelosi used insider info to buy stock before it was on the market and sold it after it was offered to the public. She made a "legal" killing but was it ethical? Barney Fwank told Americans that Fannie Mae was solvent when it was on the brink of collapse and he is yet to be questioned about it. Democrat Jim Moran used confidential information from the treasury dept to dump 100,000 worth of stock just before Fannie Mae collapsed. Republicans don't have the clout to engage in the same dirty tricks that democrats are skilled at.

As far as I am concerned, there is a hairs difference between Gingrich and Pelosi. Neither of them deserve the honor of serving 'We, the People'.

Well, unlike Mittens, they were elected and re-elected by their constituents a lot of times.

Mittens got elected once because no one was paying attention, and they couldn't wait to get him out.

Joe Scarboro led the charge to oust Newt. Hear him this morning? He said "Because he caved on taxes, and because he caved on welfare reform." Newt sounds like a tea party kinda guy..

Wow. You weren't even old enough to remember Reagan and you are going to lecture the rest of us about what it means to be "conservative".

I'm still waiting for you to tell me - Who was hurt by anything Newt did in these "Ethics Charges"?

That's how I measure morality, not by how well one follows the rules, but on the good or harm you do to other people.

Mitt Romney destroyed lives. And for no other reason than he was greedy. Didn't have to be his father left him more than enough money to live comfortably on.

Newt didn't understand paperwork with the IRS.

I don't 'lecture', I do add my 2 cents into whatever thread interests me. This seems to be a the heart of your problem. You create an alternative reality... that's fine. It is your right to live in whatever reality you choose... but it becomes an issue when you inflict your reality on me.

You do likewise to Romney - because he is a Mormon and you have some deepseated, irrational fear of Mormon's... maybe it's about their underwear.... I don't know and I don't care. But repeating bullshit does not make it true.... and you insist on repeating bullshit and pretending it is 'truth'.

Wow. You weren't even old enough to remember Reagan and you are going to lecture the rest of us about what it means to be "conservative".

I'm still waiting for you to tell me - Who was hurt by anything Newt did in these "Ethics Charges"?
That's how I measure morality, not by how well one follows the rules, but on the good or harm you do to other people.

Mitt Romney destroyed lives. And for no other reason than he was greedy. Didn't have to be his father left him more than enough money to live comfortably on.

Newt didn't understand paperwork with the IRS.

I don't 'lecture', I do add my 2 cents into whatever thread interests me. This seems to be a the heart of your problem. You create an alternative reality... that's fine. It is your right to live in whatever reality you choose... but it becomes an issue when you inflict your reality on me.

You do likewise to Romney - because he is a Mormon and you have some deepseated, irrational fear of Mormon's... maybe it's about their underwear.... I don't know and I don't care. But repeating bullshit does not make it true.... and you insist on repeating bullshit and pretending it is 'truth'.

I am noticing you AVOIDED my question. Who was hurt by Gingrich's so called Ethics violation? Why don't you just answer the question instead of going into a "you're a meaniehead who doesn't like Mormons" tirade?

why did you duck this question.

To me, morality isn't about following rules, it's about how we impact other people in our lives. In that regard, I consider his divorces to be worse than his "ethics" violations. But I think Romney's business practices, that destroyed families and cheated investors and creditors, to be a hell of a lot worse.

Joe Scarboro led the charge to oust Newt. Hear him this morning? He said "Because he caved on taxes, and because he caved on welfare reform." Newt sounds like a tea party kinda guy..

This is the same Joe Scarboro who left office when they found a dead woman in his office, right?

that would be him..

Just checking. Kind of wonder about any Republican who would take a job on MSNBC after Imus got fired for racist rants.

And you find an honest man in obama? Really? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He wasn't fined...under house rules, he could not be fined unless he personally benefited, which he didn't.

This is from the left leaning Washington Post in 1998:
The ethics committee once again referred to the penalty as a "$300,000 cost assessment," a term GOP leaders have used to describe the sum Gingrich must pay. They say that ethics rules call for fines in cases in which the violator was seeking "personal financial benefit" and that Gingrich had reaped no financial benefit from his actions.

Washingtonpost.com: Gingrich to Pay Penalty With His Own Money

I'm confused. Your link calls it a fine a little earlier than the quote about the assessment. What's the point of dispute here? Just semantics? Or something more subtle?

At the time, some of Gingrich's GOP colleagues said they had insisted that he pay the fine from personal funds, not from contributions from others. If he had not agreed to that he might have lost the speakership, they said.

It's the Washington Post...what can I say. They couldn't resist.

Their article, directly quoting the ethics committee, specifically states it was not a fine, and that Newt did not benefit financially.

If you have been following at home folks.

Newt got charged because it the dems fault
Republicans also charged him because..its the dems fault
The story calls it a fine because...it's the liberals fault
Newt history is bad because...the liberals did it

:thup: keep up that personal responsibility!

I'm confused. Your link calls it a fine a little earlier than the quote about the assessment. What's the point of dispute here? Just semantics? Or something more subtle?

Their article, directly quoting the ethics committee, specifically states it was not a fine, and that Newt did not benefit financially.

The ethics committee...you know, the folks that deliberated the charges...specifically stated that they could NOT fine Gingrich, because he had not personally benefited.

If that FACT doesn't fit your agenda...just treat it the way liberals treat facts...ignore it.

The ethics committee...you know, the folks that deliberated the charges...specifically stated that they could NOT fine Gingrich, because he had not personally benefited.

If that FACT doesn't fit your agenda...just treat it the way liberals treat facts...ignore it.

Yeah, but what about the coverage, fellow republicans turning against him, charges and history? I still say all that is the liberals fault and so do you since you only picked one thing to disagree with me on:cool:

80% of his fellow GOP congresscritters took a somewhat different view.

His own party thought he was wrong. If it was just the ethics thing, I might cut him some slack on it... but it isn't. The man is a slimeball.

The charges were bullshit, and he wasn't fined.

End of story.

he was fined $300k, you moron. :lol:

he House voted overwhelmingly yesterday to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and order him to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty, the first time in the House's 208-year history it has disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

Washingtonpost.com: House Reprimands, Penalizes Speaker

He wasn't fined...under house rules, he could not be fined unless he personally benefited, which he didn't.

The ethics committee once again referred to the penalty as a "$300,000 cost assessment," a term GOP leaders have used to describe the sum Gingrich must pay. They say that ethics rules call for fines in cases in which the violator was seeking "personal financial benefit" and that Gingrich had reaped no financial benefit from his actions.

it was a cost assessment and not a fine, and he wasn't a lobbyist, he gave *strategic advice*.

riiiiiiiiiiiight :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4e8iAofnrw]Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining - YouTube[/ame]

Desperation. Suddenly, the GOP is the party that accepts ethics violations and requests for open marriages.

My oh my....Sure hope you guys are proud of how far you've come....or how far you've sunk.
I think it's more along the line that like you, we don't mistake trivial issues for important ones. You really can't complain about adultery and ethical violations after defending Clinton the way you jokers did for years.

Yes, these are serious, and Newt will be held accountable by the voters.

You should never have defended Clinton, JoeB.

A "strategist" means he gave fancy advice on how the lobbyists should lobby the Congress.

Newt is as dirty as Blago.

Last edited:
he was fined $300k, you moron. :lol:

he House voted overwhelmingly yesterday to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and order him to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty, the first time in the House's 208-year history it has disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

Washingtonpost.com: House Reprimands, Penalizes Speaker

it was a cost assessment and not a fine, and he wasn't a lobbyist, he gave *strategic advice*.

riiiiiiiiiiiight :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4e8iAofnrw"][/ame]

When I go to court, if I lose, I might have to pay court costs, or a fine, or both.

But the court costs are not a fine. They are court costs.

The ethics committee ordered Gingrich to pay for the investigation...he was not fined, as he did not personally benefit.

Is it your contention that the ethics committee was lying?

Desperation. Suddenly, the GOP is the party that accepts ethics violations and requests for open marriages.

My oh my....Sure hope you guys are proud of how far you've come....or how far you've sunk.
I think it's more along the line that like you, we don't mistake trivial issues for important ones. You really can't complain about adultery and ethical violations after defending Clinton the way you jokers did for years.

A "strategist" means he gave fancy advice on how the lobbyists should lobby the Congress.

and obama is dirtier than all of them wrapped into one.

and obama is dirtier than all of them wrapped into one.

We are all in a tough place on this election.

Forum List

Back