History Of Gingrich Ethics Violations

Reagan was before my time and I didn't vote for McCain.

I personally find the 'mommy he did it too' excuse unacceptable. I don't care if half of congress have done it. I will not support these people.

For (insert optional deity here) sake, you're talking about a potential President of the United States. Is it not about time we demanded that the person match the office?

Wow. You weren't even old enough to remember Reagan and you are going to lecture the rest of us about what it means to be "conservative".

I'm still waiting for you to tell me - Who was hurt by anything Newt did in these "Ethics Charges"?

That's how I measure morality, not by how well one follows the rules, but on the good or harm you do to other people.

Mitt Romney destroyed lives. And for no other reason than he was greedy. Didn't have to be his father left him more than enough money to live comfortably on.

Newt didn't understand paperwork with the IRS.

Reagan was before my time and I didn't vote for McCain.

I personally find the 'mommy he did it too' excuse unacceptable. I don't care if half of congress have done it. I will not support these people.

For (insert optional deity here) sake, you're talking about a potential President of the United States. Is it not about time we demanded that the person match the office?

So, you're going to vote for Obama?

If you're expecting perfection, then you should look somewhere besides politicians. We are electing a president, not an angel.

I feel as though this should be Mitts and Newt's presidential saying. They should make posters with this on it.

80% of his own damned side voted to remove him. That's hardly the Democrats, is it?

It was pure politics. The Dims succeeded in smearing him, so he became damaged goods. It didn't matter what the facts are. All that mattered is what public perception was.

The man is a snake. It's beyond me how anyone would elect him for anything. He is not a conservative, he has no honor, no integrity, no values. He may as well be a Democrat. :lol:

Sorry, I disagree. I have my problems with Gringrich, but he's not guilty of anything other than trading up for a better wife. Half the politicians in Congress have done that. McCain is one of them. So is Reagan.

Nancy was an upgrade? Ok.

Oh and if a dem was running for president and he left TWO sick wives to "upgrade", you would be good with this? Be honest this time.

Great line in that clip, WillyT. Some of his colleagues 'question whether he has the temperament and judgement to sit in that chair". Me too.

well that's your right. I have the same trepidations about milk toast romney.

Personally, I think the priority right now has to be getting Americans back to work. The rest will follow if we can get that happening. And, without question, Romney is the most experienced to do that.
If Newt Gingrich is elected President, he knows the value of tapping the Speaker of the House to make things happen in the American jobs market.

Obama's problem is he has a disconnect with half his official cabinet and the entire House of Representatives. He is acting like an invading dictator rather than a President who works with Americans.

Newt will do a lot better than that.

regarding the posts regarding the economy in this thread...

the economy is gonna work itself out natually. sometimes it takes a while. sometimes, not so long. presidents have very little to do with the economy and how it ebbs and flows.

but then again, that's not popular to say on political message boards. the two sides must take credit or place blame to get power.

kinda funny to watch.

Great line in that clip, WillyT. Some of his colleagues 'question whether he has the temperament and judgement to sit in that chair". Me too.

well that's your right. I have the same trepidations about milk toast romney.

Personally, I think the priority right now has to be getting Americans back to work. The rest will follow if we can get that happening. And, without question, Romney is the most experienced to do that.

I think both can drive America back home. I am so proud today to call myself a conservative. Both men are remarkable. Althought Mitt is a little more left than I'd like, I have to always remember that he had to deal with a very liberal state and he was the Governor who had to deal with all of them.

Thats a tough go. Cripes can you imagine being a conservative but still being a governor of NY? Or Mass or any of those upper crazy left wing states.

B ...a...l...a...n...c...e.....

There's a really cool moment in Highlander where this would make sense to you.

I am thrilled to death that we have Mitt having to duke it out and not getting the coronation crown by the inner belt way people.

He's never been about that. And Newt? Freaking Newt?

I love this.

For those at Huffpo they are having a Zantac moment.

Talk about the wild west on our side. we are rocking. A mormon good guy vs an admitted sleazeball whore meister who came back to God.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Holy shit who says we don't have diversity on our side.

Fuck you Howard Dean!!!!!!

Last edited:
Desperation. Suddenly, the GOP is the party that accepts ethics violations and requests for open marriages.

My oh my....Sure hope you guys are proud of how far you've come....or how far you've sunk.

80% of his own damned side voted to remove him. That's hardly the Democrats, is it?

It was pure politics. The Dims succeeded in smearing him, so he became damaged goods. It didn't matter what the facts are. All that mattered is what public perception was.

The man is a snake. It's beyond me how anyone would elect him for anything. He is not a conservative, he has no honor, no integrity, no values. He may as well be a Democrat. :lol:

Sorry, I disagree. I have my problems with Gringrich, but he's not guilty of anything other than trading up for a better wife. Half the politicians in Congress have done that. McCain is one of them. So is Reagan.

Weak Sauce...80% of his own party voted to remove him. You can call it apple pie if you want but it doesnt change the fact that 80% of his own party voted against him.[ You dont know the motivations why they did unless you are also a mind reader

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
Calling you anything but a sleazy lying moron would also be a lie. I'm going to neg you for that jewel of stupidity.

Son, he was punished, and you are a goof-crazed phan of Gingrichian sleaziness.

The charges were bullshit, and he wasn't fined.

End of story.

he was fined $300k, you moron. :lol:

he House voted overwhelmingly yesterday to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and order him to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty, the first time in the House's 208-year history it has disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

Washingtonpost.com: House Reprimands, Penalizes Speaker

Son, he was punished, and you are a goof-crazed phan of Gingrichian sleaziness.

End of story.

he House voted overwhelmingly yesterday to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and order him to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty, the first time in the House's 208-year history it has disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

He wasn't fined...under house rules, he could not be fined unless he personally benefited, which he didn't.

This is from the left leaning Washington Post in 1998:
The ethics committee once again referred to the penalty as a "$300,000 cost assessment," a term GOP leaders have used to describe the sum Gingrich must pay. They say that ethics rules call for fines in cases in which the violator was seeking "personal financial benefit" and that Gingrich had reaped no financial benefit from his actions.

Washingtonpost.com: Gingrich to Pay Penalty With His Own Money

End of story.

He wasn't fined...under house rules, he could not be fined unless he personally benefited, which he didn't.

The ethics committee once again referred to the penalty as a "$300,000 cost assessment," a term GOP leaders have used to describe the sum Gingrich must pay. They say that ethics rules call for fines in cases in which the violator was seeking "personal financial benefit" and that Gingrich had reaped no financial benefit from his actions.

I'm confused. Your link calls it a fine a little earlier than the quote about the assessment. What's the point of dispute here? Just semantics? Or something more subtle?

At the time, some of Gingrich's GOP colleagues said they had insisted that he pay the fine from personal funds, not from contributions from others. If he had not agreed to that he might have lost the speakership, they said.

Last edited:

I'm confused. Your link calls it a fine a little earlier than the quote about the assessment. What's the point of dispute here? Just semantics? Or something more subtle?

At the time, some of Gingrich's GOP colleagues said they had insisted that he pay the fine from personal funds, not from contributions from others. If he had not agreed to that he might have lost the speakership, they said.

It's the Washington Post...what can I say. They couldn't resist.

Their article, directly quoting the ethics committee, specifically states it was not a fine, and that Newt did not benefit financially.

The heart of the ethics committee case against House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) involves his use of charitable organizations to subsidize his partisan political activities -- a practice he suggests he could have avoided had he consulted a lawyer and not been so "naive" about the intricacies of the tax code.

Washingtonpost.com: Use of Tax-Exempt Groups Integral to Political Strategy

Well--when you have NANCY PELOSI--all over your ass--what can we expect? The point is--Newt Gingrich was cleared of all ethics charges almost immediately--and the 300K fine he had to pay--he was cleared of--3 years later by the IRS

Newt Gingrich was the 1st speaker to organize a republican majority in the house--he also worked with Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton to cut Federal Government spending--balancing the budget for 4 years in a row--and leaving us with a budget surplus. THAT'S HIS RECORD.

Even Bill Clinton praises Newt Gingrich.

Bill Clinton Praises Newt Gingrich - Ken Walsh's Washington (usnews.com)

The dirty little secret is that everybody does it but democrats were out to get him and they kept filing ethics charges until something stuck. Nancy Pelosi used insider info to buy stock before it was on the market and sold it after it was offered to the public. She made a "legal" killing but was it ethical? Barney Fwank told Americans that Fannie Mae was solvent when it was on the brink of collapse and he is yet to be questioned about it. Democrat Jim Moran used confidential information from the treasury dept to dump 100,000 worth of stock just before Fannie Mae collapsed. Republicans don't have the clout to engage in the same dirty tricks that democrats are skilled at.

Gingrich was found by an overwhelming majority of Republicans to have (1) to have violated the ethics of House and was forced (2) to return $300,000. NG was, indeed, punished and severely.

Desperation. Suddenly, the GOP is the party that accepts ethics violations and requests for open marriages.

My oh my....Sure hope you guys are proud of how far you've come....or how far you've sunk.

I think it's more along the line that like you, we don't mistake trivial issues for important ones.

You really can't complain about adultery and ethical violations after defending Clinton the way you jokers did for years.

Forum List

Back