Hipsters on food stamps

we are so screwed

SNIP:
They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?
By Jennifer Bleyer

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”

“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

all of it here
Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com

Fresh produce! OH NO!

:piss2:Everything in America is free...food, money, clothes, housing, medical, phones, bus passes, what a Country.:party:

Unless you are a ward of the state (physically and/or mentally unable to work or take care of yourself, a prisoner, or a mental patient) you should not receive any assistance whatsoever... and if you are a ward of the state (as with prisoners and the mentally committed) you should not be allowed to vote

Requirements for the SNAP

Eligibility

Eligible Food Items

Eligible Food Items

As with anything I would say fight to change through our electeds what we do not agree with or support. My rant on this would be long so I will spare you all. And yes I can also rant on about the entitlements that go the other direction, so spare me the expected retort.

hipster_icons_640_preview.jpg

Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

:eusa_shifty:

A new party! Woo Hoo! :badgrin:

What about "not living large" don't you understand? No wonder the public is deserting the Republicans in droves!

Yea. How can you compete with free shit especially against a message that says "keep what you earn." If you don't earn anything and take free handouts, why would you ever want to listen to a Republican?

Complaining about food stamps, how original. And yet, as loud as average republicans are about it, I have yet to see the GOP purpose serious welfare reform.

I wonder why:rolleyes:

You were just complaining about Republicans being divisive, yet you jeer about them not proposing reforms which can be targeted thusly by the opposition.

You are the female version of Mac1958, taking both sides of any argument at your leisure.

Complaining about food stamps, how original. And yet, as loud as average republicans are about it, I have yet to see the GOP purpose serious welfare reform.

You were just complaining about Republicans being divisive, yet you jeer about them not proposing reforms which can be targeted thusly by the opposition.

You are the female version of Mac1958, taking both sides of any argument at your leisure.

Perhaps she takes issue with both sides of government? I know I do.

Dems will always try to make republican purposals divisive, why should that stop the GOP from getting needed things done? Although, I find the demonizing of people who take advantage of a legal government program, awfully divisive.

We need welfare reform, not just the rethoic. Republicans like to pretend they are the party for it, but then they get to Washington and find themselves licking the boots of the farm industry.

As to taking both sides, that's your opinion. I can see how you feel that way though, since Im not someone who agrees full stop with either party.

Dems will always try to make republican purposals divisive, why should that stop the GOP from getting needed things done? Although, I find the demonizing of people who take advantage of a legal government program, awfully divisive.

We need welfare reform, not just the rethoic. Republicans like to pretend they are the party for it, but then they get to Washington and find themselves licking the boots of the farm industry.

As to taking both sides, that's your opinion. I can see how you feel that way though, since I'm not someone who agrees full stop with either party.

To hell with the hungry & the farmers! No more food-stamps! Let the hungry glean the fields! Then when the farmer fails to plant a crop next year, let everyone starve!!!!!!

This recession is already 6 years long. If we did not plant the fields there would be a lot of dead people by now.

I own the farm free & clear. It cost $300,000 to farm the 1,000 acres. If you don't pay, I wont plant anything but my own garden. I can wait forever while you retards kill each-other for the scraps of food. BTW I am heavily armed.

Last edited:
we are so screwed

SNIP:
They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?
By Jennifer Bleyer

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

all of it here

You can't even give farmed salmon away up here in Seattle. The shit is diseased. Serious! They have to feed these penned up salmon anti biotics or they would all friggin die.

"organic" salmon is nothing special. All that means is that it was caught in open water.

Fresh salmon is very nutricious. Christ sakes..they give "organic" salmon away free at our local food banks.

Gubmint dependents lecturing on 'basic economics.'

Priceless. LOL

I am not a government dependant.

Please enlighten us as to why after the recession hit that hamburger went up 400% & steak price dropped 33%.

You are full of shit. You might want to check the USDA site before making these kinds of stupid claims.

USDA ERS - Cattle & Beef: Statistics & Information

USDA ERS - Meat Price Spreads

Those do not prove the price of hamburger vs steak

we are so screwed

SNIP:
By Jennifer Bleyer

all of it here

You can't even give farmed salmon away up here in Seattle. The shit is diseased. Serious! They have to feed these penned up salmon anti biotics or they would all friggin die.

"organic" salmon is nothing special. All that means is that it was caught in open water.

Fresh salmon is very nutricious. Christ sakes..they give "organic" salmon away free at our local food banks.

The tribes are allowed to harvest and distribute salmon pretty much at will...the tribal fisheries guys get to harvest every so often and then distribute the catch among the tribe...

That is generally caught out in the Columbia.

I didn't even know salmon could be raised on farms. I know the salmon I see in the supermarket is pathetic. I have a 8 lb chunk of salmon in my freezer right now that is just a section of a very big salmon caught on the ocean (by a friend). Ppl who have only seen those little things don't have a clue what real salmon is like.

I think the big fish off the boats get sucked up by the restaurant industry.

Forum List

Back