Hipsters on food stamps

I always get mad at that friend of mine because he'll bring me big chests of meat from his freezer; generally after hunting season when he has to make room, or after he butchers; and I always tell him not to throw his fish in there because I'm not a fan of frozen fish. And he always sneaks some in anyway, because he's a serious fisherman (goes to Alaska on a big fishing trip at least once a year; has his own boats). So he sneaked in these two massive chunks of frozen salmon and I pissed and moaned...but then I ended up thawing and cooking one of them (for the dogs) and damned if it wasn't gourmet stuff. Away from the edges (and this was a very large piece of fish) you couldn't tell it from fresh.

we are so screwed

SNIP:
They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?
By Jennifer Bleyer

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”

“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

all of it here
Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com

I am sure it happens all the time, but I am sure the Salon didn't make up any of this. Lol

No point raising cows if no one is goign to eat them.

Not that folks on Food stamps are eating steak. That's a myth.

Here's the real problem. Because the Mitt Romney's of the world have busted the unions, sent the good jobs overseas, downsized, outsourced, right-sized and just about everything else to cut the legs out from under working people.

Welfare just isn't for poor people anymore.

40% of food stamp families have at least one wage earner. Just not enough to put food on the table. The same with Section 8 Housing or Medicaid. People have jobs, just not very good ones compared to what their parents had.

And those damned working poor people, instead of patriotically dying so Mitt can enjoy more Dressage Ponies, they are actually asking the government for help and getting it.

And then they vote for more of that stuff.

This is what happens when your party puts the rich over working folks... you figure out, there are just more working folks.

oh boy, it USED to be people got a second or part time JOB to make it...Today it's the hell with that just lets just live off your fellow Amercians..

the hell with working lets all become, hipsters

Last edited:
No point raising cows if no one is goign to eat them.

Not that folks on Food stamps are eating steak. That's a myth.

Here's the real problem. Because the Mitt Romney's of the world have busted the unions, sent the good jobs overseas, downsized, outsourced, right-sized and just about everything else to cut the legs out from under working people.

Welfare just isn't for poor people anymore.

40% of food stamp families have at least one wage earner. Just not enough to put food on the table. The same with Section 8 Housing or Medicaid. People have jobs, just not very good ones compared to what their parents had.

And those damned working poor people, instead of patriotically dying so Mitt can enjoy more Dressage Ponies, they are actually asking the government for help and getting it.

And then they vote for more of that stuff.

This is what happens when your party puts the rich over working folks... you figure out, there are just more working folks.

oh boy, it USED to be people got a second or part time JOB to make it...Today it's the hell with that just lets just live off your fellow Amercians..

the hell with working lets all become, hipsters

God no!
I may be a liberal but I will never be a liberal.

Your out of your league. Prices move dramatically compared to small percentage moves in consumer behavior. When something goes from selling at a loss to get rid of waste to being demanded & sold at a profit the price swings wildly. Here in the beef capital of the world I have not seen hamburger under $2.99/lb in 4 years. It used to regularly go on sale for $0.75

Your anecdotal nonsense does not stand to the hard facts which I have just shoved up your eliminary canal.

LOL

Eat eliminary canal shit! Facts prove I was right & you are full of shit. Steak prices fell & Hamburger prices rose. The Rich are living large on lower price steak while the poor fight over higher priced hamburger.

BLS - Consumer Price Index - Average Price Data
Series Id: APU0000703112
Area: U.S. city average
Item: Ground beef, 100% beef, per lb.
latest_numbers_APU0000703112_2002_2012_all_period_M09_data.gif

BLS - Consumer Price Index - Average Price Data
Series Id: APU0000703613
Area: U.S. city average
Item: Steak, sirloin, USDA Choice, boneless, per lb.
latest_numbers_APU0000703613_2002_2012_all_period_M09_data.gif

we are so screwed

SNIP:
They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?
By Jennifer Bleyer

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”

“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

all of it here
Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com

You can't even give farmed salmon away up here in Seattle. The shit is diseased. Serious! They have to feed these penned up salmon anti biotics or they would all friggin die.

"organic" salmon is nothing special. All that means is that it was caught in open water.

Fresh salmon is very nutricious. Christ sakes..they give "organic" salmon away free at our local food banks.

The tribes are allowed to harvest and distribute salmon pretty much at will...the tribal fisheries guys get to harvest every so often and then distribute the catch among the tribe...

That is generally caught out in the Columbia.

I didn't even know salmon could be raised on farms. I know the salmon I see in the supermarket is pathetic. I have a 8 lb chunk of salmon in my freezer right now that is just a section of a very big salmon caught on the ocean (by a friend). Ppl who have only seen those little things don't have a clue what real salmon is like.

I think the big fish off the boats get sucked up by the restaurant industry.

Maybe the farther away ya get from the Pacific that could be true. Actually the native Americans get to set nets in almost every river. I saw some yesterday in the infamous Green River. I'll tell ya where to get your salmon... Fisherman"s terminal in Seattle. You can get any size or species of salmon you want right off the boats and they do ship all over the world. Plus they have fresh halibut.

Here is a bit of a blog with most of the best places to buy fresh Salmon.

"Want the best fresh salmon in Seattle?
I'm coming back to Seattle and want to buy some fresh salmon to take home. Bought at Pikes Place Market last time, and would like another option. Any thoughts how to get right off the boat?

By jeffsking88 on Feb 9, 2009 01:06 PM
Updated on Feb 24, 200922 Replies .Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard

By Brunhilde on Feb 9, 2009 01:26 PM
It's not salmon season in Seattle yet. So what you will buy will be fresh-frozen. It's about the closest you can get this time of year. Mid-May is when salmon season typically starts.

That said, Wilson Fish at the Ballard Farmers Market on Sundays and the Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard will have frozen stuff that was frozen within a VERY short time of catching.

By patriciajane on Feb 9, 2009 01:34 PM
re: patriciajane Wild Salmon Seafood, in the Fishermen's Terminal is a good place to look, though Mutual Fish does a good job, as does Uwajimaya. I'm not sure how well equipped these last are for packing to travel, but the Market does that all day long.

By mrnelso on Feb 9, 2009 02:12 PM
re: patriciajane you certainly can get fresh salmon. it isn't season for the fatty fish headed upstream, but most markets will have fresh line caught wild salmon when they can get it.

By bluedog67 on Feb 11, 2009 10:08 AM
The best fish markets in Seattle are (1) Mutual Fish in the south, and (2) University Seafood & Poultry in the north. They both ship"

New Topics

Forum List

Back