Hipsters on food stamps

I work in a supermarket.
One guess who buys the live lobsters?

Hey, it's not their money.:D

Then why not pass a law that says that Lobsters can't be paid for with food stamps..

It would seem be simple enough.

Oh, that's right. Because the people who catch lobsters and ship them to market would scream bloody murder.

Incidently, how many live lobsters do you think someone could buy on $152.00 a month, anyway. WHich is what the average SNAP benefit is.

If a participant is using their snap benefits for 'luxury' food items they have another source of income. There's no way they would use their own money to buy something they couldn't 'afford'. To them, it's free.

Then why not pass a law that says that Lobsters can't be paid for with food stamps..

It would seem be simple enough.

Oh, that's right. Because the people who catch lobsters and ship them to market would scream bloody murder.

Incidently, how many live lobsters do you think someone could buy on $152.00 a month, anyway. WHich is what the average SNAP benefit is.

If a participant is using their snap benefits for 'luxury' food items they have another source of income. There's no way they would use their own money to buy something they couldn't 'afford'. To them, it's free.

True, but food stamps also go to those with low income, not just no income.

Gubmint dependents lecturing on 'basic economics.'

Priceless. LOL

I am not a government dependant.

Please enlighten us as to why after the recession hit that hamburger went up 400% & steak price dropped 33%.

Prove hamburger was 75 cents a pound in 2008.

LOL, you stupid fuck.

Link to - Cost of Ground Beef

8181952175_8abd7c21d4_b.jpg

Gubmint dependents lecturing on 'basic economics.'

Priceless. LOL

Please enlighten us as to why after the recession hit that hamburger went up 400% & steak price dropped 33%.

LOL, you stupid fuck.

Job loss started in late 2006 stupid fuck! That is when people freaked & started eating hamburger instead of steak.

fredgraph.png

What about "not living large" don't you understand? No wonder the public is deserting the Republicans in droves!
No doubt!!!

Those folks must (already) be morbidly-obese, in-order-to gorge themselves on that $150 monthly-banquet!!!!!

You can't have everyone eating just staples. Someone has to eat the steak. One observation I have made is when you have to many people eat specific foods the price skyrockets.

Take hamburger vs steak for instance. Before the recession around here in the mid-west hamburger was selling for about $0.75/lb & good cuts of steak was about $15/lb. Hamburger was an affordable staple food for the poor. The main reason it was cheap was because it was a leftover excess from the cow when they were butchered to get steak that the majority sought, bought & consumed. That high steak price paid for the whole cow & processing. The leftover burger was sold at steep discount to get rid of it much like a waste product.

A live cow on hoof cost about $1.50/lb & only 1/3rd is consumed as meat. So that makes the average price per lb of meat $4.50 + slaughter cost so lets just say $5/lb. During good economic times the high priced steak is 3 times the actual meat cost & hamburger is sold at a huge loss.

When you have a major economic downturn the majority want to buy hamburger. So now around here good steak now sells for $11/lb & hamburger sells for well over $3.00. Those who can afford good steak got a cut in their food bill & the poor took a 4 fold increase in their food cost. That is a major punch in the gut for the poor & especially while we are in a recession.

This is why you need food stamps to even things out. They can also help those that would have bought burger to reach for steak thus lowering the price of burger for the rest.

Well said.

What everyone forgets is that food stamps are a price support for the Agricultural industry.

That's why they are issued by the Department of Agriculture and not Health and human Services or some other welfare agency.

LOL

That was some of the stupidest shit I ever read on this board.

No shit. "You're doing America a FAVOR by going on foodstamps and eating gourmet".

It's Barry's world.

LOL, you stupid fuck.

Job loss started in late 2006 stupid fuck! That is when people freaked & started eating hamburger instead of steak.

fredgraph.png

1% shift in consumption pattern 'whole muscle' v. ground, pre-recession v. post.

You are simply out of your league.

InHomeBeef.gif

I work in a supermarket.
One guess who buys the live lobsters?

Incidently, how many live lobsters do you think someone could buy on $152.00 a month, anyway.

I'm guessing most of the local-critics (here), don't do a lot o' grocery-shopping....let-alone support themselves.

A Jr. High School schedule doesn't (really) allow them that much free-time.​

I've got a great idea. Let's ship all of our steaks to China & have them ship their rice back here so our poor can eat rice like they used to.

No point raising cows if no one is goign to eat them.

Not that folks on Food stamps are eating steak. That's a myth.

Here's the real problem. Because the Mitt Romney's of the world have busted the unions, sent the good jobs overseas, downsized, outsourced, right-sized and just about everything else to cut the legs out from under working people.

Welfare just isn't for poor people anymore.

40% of food stamp families have at least one wage earner. Just not enough to put food on the table. The same with Section 8 Housing or Medicaid. People have jobs, just not very good ones compared to what their parents had.

And those damned working poor people, instead of patriotically dying so Mitt can enjoy more Dressage Ponies, they are actually asking the government for help and getting it.

And then they vote for more of that stuff.

This is what happens when your party puts the rich over working folks... you figure out, there are just more working folks.

LOL, you stupid fuck.

fredgraph.png

1% shift in consumption pattern 'whole muscle' v. ground, pre-recession v. post.

InHomeBeef.gif

Your out of your league. Prices move dramatically compared to small percentage moves in consumer behavior. When something goes from selling at a loss to get rid of waste to being demanded & sold at a profit the price swings wildly. Here in the beef capital of the world I have not seen hamburger under $2.99/lb in 4 years. It used to regularly go on sale for $0.75

Well said.

What everyone forgets is that food stamps are a price support for the Agricultural industry.

That's why they are issued by the Department of Agriculture and not Health and human Services or some other welfare agency.

LOL

That was some of the stupidest shit I ever read on this board.

No shit. "You're doing America a FAVOR by going on foodstamps and eating gourmet".

It's Barry's world.

.....And, only ROCK 'N ROLL!!!!!

The+Rolling+Stones%25252C+-cite-Beggars+Banquet--cite-+%252528Mick+%252526+Keith+with+Pug%25252C+Sepia%252529_1295829085481_large.png

We WON!!!!

GET OVER IT!!!!!

:cool:

fredgraph.png

InHomeBeef.gif

Your out of your league. Prices move dramatically compared to small percentage moves in consumer behavior. When something goes from selling at a loss to get rid of waste to being demanded & sold at a profit the price swings wildly. Here in the beef capital of the world I have not seen hamburger under $2.99/lb in 4 years. It used to regularly go on sale for $0.75

Your anecdotal nonsense does not stand to the hard facts which I have just shoved up your eliminary canal.

LOL

The scraps that people fight over are getting thin. I have 4 rental houses now & need a gas stove to pass inspection so the tenant can get the gas turned on. I have been on Craig's list for 6 weeks & can't score a decent working stove for under $200. Back during the boom people were tossing appliances as they were flopping houses. I picked up working gas stoves for zero to $50. They were cheaper than buying parts to fix the broken ones I had. Now every day there are new Ads on Craig's list saying huge blowout sale refurbished gas, electric stove, washer, dryers $99. It's a classic bait & switch. I call & they say they are out of the $99 stoves expecting another shipment in a couple days but we have $200 stoves. That has gone on for over a month. There are lots of ads but if you email you get no response or go look at them there are expensive parts missing or they are broken even when they say "New Gas Stove - Paid $400 last month - Could not install gas stove at house. Must have electric. Will sacrifice it for $200." I get there & it is a used POS.

Same goes for cars new & used. My best friend bought a brand new 2009 Chevy Equinox back in late 2008 pre-GM bailout for 21K thanks to $8,000 rebates & incentives even though it listed for around $30k. 10 months later it was totaled in an accident so she got new car replacement cost. After the GM bailout the list price was still nearly the same for a comparably equipped 2010 Chevy Equinox but there was no deals to be had. The cost to replace it was 10K more than she paid the previous year. 33% increase regardless of what advertised prices are.

Bottom line are the poor are paying more in this recession than they were paying pre-recession. There are fewer scraps being thrown out & more people fighting for them. If you have a good income & have been paying retail prices, the prices hardly changed. The many fire sale prices of the past are gone.

My grandparents used to tell me how back in the great depression extra people always showed up around meal time at their home. They never said a word to them & just fed them anyhow. They would actually work around the farm for food instead of just holding up a sign that said "Will Work for Food".

It's happening again. I rent out a house to a family of 4, but every time I go there I count 7 or more. I told them that the occupancy permit limits the house to 5 people & they will pay the fine if I get one. They had their gas shut off all 6 months during the summer, took cold showers & cooked on an electric hot plate. Now it's cold & have to get the gas turned back on. I am on their ass about shit & make sure they pay their rent on time. But I can see they have more mouths to feed with less money. Maybe the people staying with them buy them good food with their foodstamps. Couch surfing homeless people are the latest fad. Hell my niece is sleeping over 3 nights a week now to be closer to work during the week. I think she stays with friends or other family the other 4 nights. She used to be a spoiled brat, now I have her cleaning out & painting a nasty ass rental house for me just to stay over a few nights a week. Hell if she was getting food-stamps I would be making her buy me some steak.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back