"... high schools are not properly equipping people for jobs ..."

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told Newsmax TV on Thursday that the nation's strong economic growth under a Trump administration is seriously threatened by an unprepared American workforce.

"The truth is our high schools are not properly equipping people for the jobs in the new-technology world," Ross told economist and moderator Larry Kudlow in an exclusive interview on the "Newsmax in the Nation's Capital" special sponsored by Newsmax and Google.

"It's driven big corporations to where they have to pay local community colleges to do programs to teach people about computers, about welding, about all kinds of things."

Ross, who is working with Ivanka Trump on the administration's Workforce of the Future efforts, praised efforts by the local colleges.

"But with all the money we're spending on education, we're not spending it on what used to be called vocational training," he said.

The U.S. had the least vocational training of any of the world's 35 developed countries, the secretary noted.

"The least. That's ridiculous."

Ross blamed it on the "social opprobrium that has come if you don't go to college.

"Pushing kids into college when they're not right for it ends up is tragedies," he told Kudlow, "because the one-third of all people entering college don't have a degree even six years later.

"But you know what they do have? $50,000 in accumulated student loans.

"What a terrible thing to make people think that they can do something that they shouldn't be doing — and then saddle them with debt as a penalty.

"It's horrible."

Wilbur Ross: High Schools Not Training Workers for Future

High schools have never properly prepared students for a job, it's not what they are in business for....Want job training let the company that needs apprentices to hire them and stop making the taxpayer foot the bill...

High schools have never properly prepared students for a job, it's not what they are in business for....Want job training let the company that needs apprentices to hire them and stop making the taxpayer foot the bill...
So, tell me ---- just exactly what are high schools "in business for"?

Teaching children to read, write, do math, learn civics, biology, History, how the world, nature and science works.

You went to school, right? Or was your question satire?

Teaching children to read, write, do math, learn civics, biology, History, how the world, nature and science works.

... and those things don't prepare students for a job?

You probably are right ---- Lord knows, the last time I saw a coherent, cogent, and competent high schooler come into my company was probably 20 years ago. Most of them today can't write, math is a foreign language, and they aren't capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation.

Those schools are doing a hot shot job, that's for sure. We keep lowering the standards, and they keep falling short.

An education.....OJT takes care of training..You know, those companies that want the taxpayer to pay for the training they want, what a load of shit...Another way corporations try to run things in society without a cost factor..
People with degrees get to start out at the bottom like everyone else and they must be trained in how a company operates, no high school can teach kids how each corporation functions according to their specific guidelines..

Last edited:
An education.....OJT takes care of training..You know, those companies that want the taxpayer to pay for the training they want, what a load of shit...Another way corporations try to run things in society without a cost factor..
People with degrees get to start out at the bottom like everyone else and they must be trained in how a company operates, no high school can teach kids how each corporation functions according to their specific guidelines..
Really don't understand the way the world works,huh?

My corporation took in high school graduates - at the end of one year, we made a decision. Let them go, or subsidize a college education (generally, engineering) - in 20 years, we submitted 51 people for college --- of the 51, 26 got a degree - 14 of those continue to work for us. That's 51 out of, what i estimate, 300 high school graduates that worked for us. The rest, simply, weren't qualified to go to college (at least, not on my nickel). OJT is the method used to indoctrinate new hires into the company environment and methodology. It's also used to train people in the trades, but for more technical work, a college degree is a measurement stick for employers.

Now, as for the context of your argument, while a high school graduate may not know the particulars of my specific company, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they be able to read, write, converse civilly, do common math, act in a socially appropriate manner, dress appropriately, and avoid embarrassing the company on a regular basis. The high school graduate who meets those criteria are few and far between.

My corporation took in high school graduates - at the end of one year, we made a decision. Let them go, or subsidize a college education (generally, engineering) - in 20 years, we submitted 51 people for college --- of the 51, 26 got a degree - 14 of those continue to work for us. That's 51 out of, what i estimate, 300 high school graduates that worked for us. The rest, simply, weren't qualified to go to college (at least, not on my nickel). OJT is the method used to indoctrinate new hires into the company environment and methodology. It's also used to train people in the trades, but for more technical work, a college degree is a measurement stick for employers.

Now, as for the context of your argument, while a high school graduate may not know the particulars of my specific company, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they be able to read, write, converse civilly, do common math, act in a socially appropriate manner, dress appropriately, and avoid embarrassing the company on a regular basis. The high school graduate who meets those criteria are few and far between.
In my line of work they are not any better.. But I still get the cart drawn..

In my line of work they are not any better.. But I still get the cart drawn..

Oh, I get the cart moved --- it just costs more than it should. My investment in the schools is an abject failure, and I'm forced to compensate for their shortcomings in the commercial world.

The schools are busy turning out idiots who can't think and have to be led, like the regressives posting here. Not one is capable of telling the truth about anything.

Which corporations were pushing for all college grads verses training their own or hiring people with experience?

When I checked into the education realm back in the 90's colleges were given way too much of the state budget and primary schools were ignored. For years my children thanked me for being "mean" and making them do chores and learning skills at home and in our businesses but most parents do not have that opportunity for the time with their children or are to busy making a living they don't have time to spend with their children. How many of those children grew up having low IQ's or brain damage due to the toxins in their environments, lack of viable nutrients in the food they were given or parents who due to do some sort chemical alterations that when the children were produced they came with some malformations, some had parents doing drugs, drinking or that were on pharmaceuticals when the children were formed. All those things play a part in what the next generation will bring in too.

Industry always moans about the quality of applicants. Mainly so it can squeeze more corporate welfare. I was involved in recruitment for 30 years and the standard was generally better at the end.

Kids have it shit today compared to when I was young.The jobs arent there , industries have disappeared and career paths are windy. Buying a house is beyond many and they will retire on shit pensions due to paying off the debts that we have left them.

... and those things don't prepare students for a job?

You probably are right ---- Lord knows, the last time I saw a coherent, cogent, and competent high schooler come into my company was probably 20 years ago. Most of them today can't write, math is a foreign language, and they aren't capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation.

Those schools are doing a hot shot job, that's for sure. We keep lowering the standards, and they keep falling short.
Sadly, I have to agree. You even used one of my favorite lines "math is a foreign language". I too have seen an absence of bright kids coming into my business. Although I personally know a lot of really good kids, they will for the most part be on their way to college. The hardest part is that in the past I very much enjoyed working with and helping train kids. Nowadays they just don't have basic skills.

When did it become high schools job to train kids for jobs? That's what college is for.

When did it become high schools job to train kids for jobs? That's what college is for.
Lol! You people really are out of touch with reality aren't you? So high schools are only supposed to teach about fisting and trans genders, and gay shot and disrespecting your country and how wonderful muslims are, right?

Lmfao...no in your case indoctrination into liberalism and common core math ..

Forum List

Back