Apple: "Coding More Important to Learn Than English"

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook says he thinks learning how to computer code is a more valuable communication tool than learning the English language.

“If I were a French student and I were 10 years old, I think it would be more important to learn coding than English,” Cook told French news outlet Konbini.

“I’m not telling people not to learn English—but this is a language that you can [use to] express yourself to 7 billion people in the world. I think coding should be required in every public school in the world,” Cook said.

"It's the language that everyone needs, and not just for the computer scientists. It's for all of us," says Cook.

He explained that programming encourages students of all disciplines to be inventive and experimental: “It’s not just for the computer scientists. Creativity is in the front seat; technology is in the backseat. It is sort of the blend with both of these that you can do such powerful things now," he said.

Apple CEO Tim Cook: Learning To Code Is 'More Important' Than English

I've not needed coding one single day of my life.

You can't speak to 7 billion people with coding, billions don't have access to computers.

Why would I want to speak to 7 billion people anyway?

Knowing how to code allows you to communicate and create with other people who code even if you don't speak their language. Coding is not "for all of us" it is for people who code. That is Tim Cook Libspeak (a.k.a BS).

I've not needed coding one single day of my life.

You can't speak to 7 billion people with coding, billions don't have access to computers.

Why would I want to speak to 7 billion people anyway?

Coding speaks to more than 7 billion a day. Sure, they still need some language to communicate directly to other people, but if they are proficient enough in coding, that other language could be almost anything.

Forum List

Back