High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards

That page says that, "Muslims in countries surveyed are less supportive of the death penalty of converts". That whole study shows the strict and less strict beliefs in the Sunni and Shia groups of Muslims so I don't know why you're trying to prove with this in relation to the thread.

Do you have evidence of that?

Yes.

You should try availilng yourself to some reliable opinions polls to learn at least a tiny little bit about the subject matter instead of shooting from the hip in extraordinarily ignorant fashion like the rest of the apologists..

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

page 55 of report

Did I say you were wrong? You made a claim and I asked you for evidence of it, which of course would mean I'm not being at all ignorant and yet you get offended by the fact I did exactly what you said I should. Maybe you're the one who shouldn't shoot from the hip.

Regardless of his temper his evidence did not support his claim.

Of course it did.

You have something less than a 4th grade ability when it comes to math, so do not understand how the numbers work out, and you are a dishonest apologist who will use any excuse to avoid telling the truth.

You feel compelled to defend Islam at all costs, and so do not accept any facts that get in the way of your preconceptions.

First of all nothing in that document has anything to do with math and never have I been dishonest in here I'm just expressing my opinion.
We are all mature here so please stop bashing me and stick to the thread.

High School Vocabulary Lesson Referencing Islam Has NC Town In Uproar

A North Carolina town is in an uproar this week as parents fear that a high school vocabulary lesson referencing Islam was intended to push the religion on students. The assignment was attached to a World Literature course, in which lessons are connected to different cultures. Now, the local police are even being accused of being complicit.

The issue began when part of the following video was posted on Facebook. (The introduction and theme music were added by another user later, as were clips at the end referencing cases of Christianity in schools.) The video is long, but if you choose not to watch it, here’s the gist: A school gave their students a list of vocabulary words, with sample sentences referencing Islam.

The words were not about Islam (with the possible exception of ‘mosque’), but the sentences mentioned the life of the prophet Muhammad. They talk about Muslim architecture, and people sharing the Muslim faith. At no time does any part of the lesson appear to appear to push Muslim beliefs on students.

According to reports, the Farmville Police Department initially posted on Facebook a promise to look into the matter. Now, however, no such post exists, and in its place are numerous posts from Facebook users accusing the local police of trying to remove the video from Facebook, and of being complicit in the efforts to “indoctrinate kids into Islam.”

On the school’s Facebook page, not only locals, but commenters from far and wide are posting their outrage over a vocabulary lesson referencing Islam and Muslim culture.

The lesson referencing Islam is causing an outrage, but is it truly an attempt to bring Islam to students, or merely one lesson in a series about a diverse variety of cultures and beliefs?

The article posts a scan of the entire lesson. I don't see what the hysteria is about.

First of all nothing in that document has anything to do with math and never have I been dishonest in here I'm just expressing my opinion.

So, a document by a reputable polling company using sophisticated polling methods that compile accurate date reflecting the percentages of people who hold various beliefs and details these in terms of percentages has nothing to do with math?

Are you still a child, by any chance?

The article posts a scan of the entire lesson. I don't see what the hysteria is about.

If you want to see some hysteria, they should try replacing Mohammad with Jesus and Islam with Christianity because those who are defending the intrusion of Islam into schools where it obviously does not belong would be engaging in just that.

If you want to see some hysteria, they should try replacing Mohammad with Jesus and Islam with Christianity because those who are defending the intrusion of Islam into schools where it obviously does not belong would be engaging in just that.

To be technically accurate, the intrusion of Christianity, and replacing mohammad with Jesus and Islam with Christianity would have to be done in a predominantly muslim school. Now you got a riot.

Of course it did.

You have something less than a 4th grade ability when it comes to math, so do not understand how the numbers work out, and you are a dishonest apologist who will use any excuse to avoid telling the truth.

You feel compelled to defend Islam at all costs, and so do not accept any facts that get in the way of your preconceptions.

So, a document by a reputable polling company using sophisticated polling methods that compile accurate date reflecting the percentages of people who hold various beliefs and details these in terms of percentages has nothing to do with math?

When's the last time you were in a public high school English class? When you were 18? I was in one this month. When's the last time you're dealt with Common Core? I have.

Common Core's not perfect and there's quite a bit that should be tweaked. There's a lot wrong with the curriculum. BUT teaching Islam to the students is NOT one.

I don't care whatever your "sources" may tell you. Over the past 7 school years I've been teaching English level high school (E 1-4; reg and honors). I've seen exactly ZERO examples of teaching of Islamic culture to the class. I DO remember teaching allusions and several of the examples given to the class mention biblical allusions.

You can believe whatever you want to believe online, and it's clear that you're going to believe in the sources that back up your arguments. It's similar to the self-fulfilling prophecy You all ready have a conclusion about what the students are actually learning, and you seek out the sources that will fulfill your ideas.

I can't speak for every school district, every state, but I can tell you that in my district/state this doesn't exist. PERIOD.

When's the last time you were in a public high school English class? When you were 18? I was in one this month. When's the last time you're dealt with Common Core? I have.

Common Core's not perfect and there's quite a bit that should be tweaked. There's a lot wrong with the curriculum. BUT teaching Islam to the students is NOT one.

I don't care whatever your "sources" may tell you. Over the past 7 school years I've been teaching English level high school (E 1-4; reg and honors). I've seen exactly ZERO examples of teaching of Islamic culture to the class. I DO remember teaching allusions and several of the examples given to the class mention biblical allusions.

You can believe whatever you want to believe online, and it's clear that you're going to believe in the sources that back up your arguments. It's similar to the self-fulfilling prophecy You all ready have a conclusion about what the students are actually learning, and you seek out the sources that will fulfill your ideas.

I can't speak for every school district, every state, but I can tell you that in my district/state this doesn't exist. PERIOD.

You claim to be an English teacher, yet your comprehension of the written language is such that you fail to address anything I have actually said, and imagine a whole slew of things I didn't.

What, exactly, does this unfocused blather of yours have to do with my refutation of the notion that only some tiny percentage of Muslims hold certain beliefs?

I might also suggest you place a comma after the word "curriculum" rather than a period so as to avoid a fragment and use the word "already" rather than the words "all ready". You are trying to pass as an English teacher, after all.

Of course it did.

I know our education system works to keep religious practices off of school grounds during school hours and I respect that. In school we have other classes to learn about different religons and cultures, but the people here act as if kids have never been subjected to this information in school. We learn about Islam in school, yes it's not usually in lit class but I don't see the big fuss. It was mentioned in a lit class probably as they were analyzing documents for their rhetorical benefits. Also, I'm seventeen and a senior in high school right now so I have also been experiencing the modern school system.

To be technically accurate, the intrusion of Christianity, and replacing mohammad with Jesus and Islam with Christianity would have to be done in a predominantly muslim school. Now you got a riot.

You would certainly get that and more. I was referring more to the hypocrites who defend a practice as long as Islam is involved who would be foaming at the mouth were it Christianity, however.

At it's heart, all these references to Islam are not indoctrination so much as they are an attempt at normalization and an exercise in political correctness. Out of millions of possible examples they could have chosen to display a student's faculty with the language, they chose Islam, and they did do so for a reason. Not one of these vocabulary words necessitated that Islam be utilized as the basis for the answer, and with such myriad choices at their avail that would be completely neutral, the very fact that they included so many references to Islam is suspect in and of itself.

Have they done this with Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Shintoism, Jainism, or Hinduism? If not, there was an obvious selection process involved, and any thinking person should question why.

You're always going to have ridiculous hysteria when it comes to religion - whether it's athiests having fits over the innocent expression of Merry Christmas or Christians having fits of the mere mention of Islam. The thing is, religion plays a huge role in the development and understanding of cultures around the world, history, and literature. How can you learn about American history without including the role religion played in it's founding and culture? How could you possibly understand how important freedom of religion is if you don't discuss the persecutions that led to that being one of the pillars of American society?

Learning about religion, the role it plays in history, culture, or literature is not "indoctrination". Learning about other people's and cultures and trying to put yourself in their shoes is n ot "indoctrination" - it's smart teaching, and it's teaching children by expanding their awareness of the larger world around them.

You're always going to have ridiculous hysteria when it comes to religion - whether it's athiests having fits over the innocent expression of Merry Christmas or Christians having fits of the mere mention of Islam. The thing is, religion plays a huge role in the development and understanding of cultures around the world, history, and literature. How can you learn about American history without including the role religion played in it's founding and culture? How could you possibly understand how important freedom of religion is if you don't discuss the persecutions that led to that being one of the pillars of American society?

Learning about religion, the role it plays in history, culture, or literature is not "indoctrination". Learning about other people's and cultures and trying to put yourself in their shoes is n ot "indoctrination" - it's smart teaching, and it's teaching children by expanding their awareness of the larger world around them.

I have no problem with that. I believe comparative religion SHOULD be offered, and taught openly, honestly and without whitewashing. Kids should be taught what other people actually believe, though, and not a "see no evil" fairy tale that acts only to obscure the truth.

Inserting Islam into a vocabulary lesson is quite a different matter, however, since this is an English class and not comparative religion. Once again, if the same process of slipping Islam into a vocabulary test is not matched with similar inclusion of other religions, this is most definitely NOT a healthy teaching example. It is merely a pet cause.

You claim to be an English teacher, yet your comprehension of the written language is such that you fail to address anything I have actually said, and imagine a whole slew of things I didn't.

What, exactly, does this unfocused blather of yours have to do with my refutation of the notion that only some tiny percentage of Muslims hold certain beliefs?

I might also suggest you place a comma after the word "curriculum" rather than a period so as to avoid a fragment and use the word "already" rather than the words "all ready". You are trying to pass as an English teacher, after all.

You accuse me of failing to "address anything" that you actually said. One would logically assume that perhaps you would address at least some of the content in my post...but rather you choose the easy way out. You could have addressed my writing. However you decided to dissect my writing...do you honestly expect me to proof-read my posts or to pay a lot of attention to posts I'm making on a random site on the Internet to a bunch of strangers that I'll never even meet? Get real. I'm fully aware that the previous sentence was incomplete.

But it's time to put my English teacher hat on and explore what you mean by "refutation". What was your original concession/counterclaim before your refutation? I'm assuming that you actually know what the word "refutation" means when it's used during an argument or a debate.

And finally you said that my sentence of "There's a lot wrong with the curriculum," is a fragment.

You are incorrect.
A fragment is a NOT a complete sentence. My sentence WAS a complete sentence.

"There'" is a contraction which is two words combined "there" and "is". The word "is" IS a verb. So I clearly have a verb. I know that it can be difficult for some to understand how/why the word "is" is a verb-but it is. I obviously have a subject ("curriculum"). All you need for a simple sentence is one verb and one subject (this creates a clause). Therefore my sentence IS a complete simple sentence.

I suggest before you try being a smart ass that you actually know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
You accuse me of failing to "address anything" that you actually said. One would logically assume that perhaps you would address at least some of the content in my post...but rather you choose the easy way out. You could have addressed my writing. However you decided to dissect my writing...do you honestly expect me to proof-read my posts or to pay a lot of attention to posts I'm making on a random site on the Internet to a bunch of strangers that I'll never even meet? Get real. I'm fully aware that the previous sentence was incomplete.

But it's time to put my English teacher hat on and explore what you mean by "refutation". What was your original concession/counterclaim before your refutation? I'm assuming that you actually know what the word "refutation" means when it's used during an argument or a debate.

And finally you said that my sentence of "There's a lot wrong with the curriculum," is a fragment.

You are incorrect.

"There'" is a contraction which is two words combined "there" and "is". The word "is" IS a verb. So I clearly have a verb. I know that it can be difficult for some to understand how/why the word "is" is a verb-but it is. I obviously have a subject ("curriculum"). All you need for a simple sentence is one verb and one subject (this creates a clause). Therefore my sentence IS a complete simple sentence.

I suggest before you try being a smart ass that you actually know what you're talking about.

Son, I do think it is terrifically cute that you are still trying to pose as an English teacher here, and I do have to admire your gumption for even attempting such, but it appears that your recent visit to any sort of English class involved sitting more or less quietly and facing the front. I'm sure this wasn't an AP class, either.

You have once again failed to comprehend the written word, here, for my suggestion that you use a comma rather than a period so as to avoid a fragment did not suggest that what came before the period was a fragment, but what came after. A dependent clause is not a complete sentence, and I might suggest you ask your teacher about the use of subordinating conjunctions here for some further detail.

As to my use of the word refutation, I was entirely in line with its understood meaning. I refuted the very much ignorant platitude offered by Dalai when he wrote " Almost all Muslims are kind and devout people it's just the few extremists that give them a bad name". I did so by referencing a very well-respected research organization detailing many facets of Muslim belief. You obviously cannot comprehend the meaning of confirmation bias here, because his dishonesty by way of reply was closer to an example of such than by referencing this research.

I see no reason to address anything you have said in your posts because you have simply created a straw man that is irrelevant to anything I have said. I do not jump through hoops just because a seventeen year old boy posing as an English teacher demands it. You were the one who responded to me, so the onus is upon you to write something at least remotely germane. I have no interest in discussing Common Core, and have made no claims that it is being used to indoctrinate children into Islam. I simply questioned the motivation of such an inclusion, and refuted some ignorant notions as to what Muslims actually believe.

You are incorrect.

Son, I do think it is terrifically cute that you are still trying to pose as an English teacher here, and I do have to admire your gumption for even attempting such, but it appears that your recent visit to any sort of English class involved sitting more or less quietly and facing the front. I'm sure this wasn't an AP class, either.

You have once again failed to comprehend the written word, here, for my suggestion that you use a comma rather than a period so as to avoid a fragment did not suggest that what came before the period was a fragment, but what came after. A dependent clause is not a complete sentence, and I might suggest you ask your teacher about the use of subordinating conjunctions here for some further detail.

As to my use of the word refutation, I was entirely in line with its understood meaning. I refuted the very much ignorant platitude offered by Dalai when he wrote " Almost all Muslims are kind and devout people it's just the few extremists that give them a bad name". I did so by referencing a very well-respected research organization detailing many facets of Muslim belief. You obviously cannot comprehend the meaning of confirmation bias here, because his dishonesty by way of reply was closer to an example of such than by referencing this research.

I see no reason to address anything you have said in your posts because you have simply created a straw man that is irrelevant to anything I have said. I do not jump through hoops just because a seventeen year old boy posing as an English teacher demands it. You were the one who responded to me, so the onus is upon you to write something at least remotely germane. I have no interest in discussing Common Core, and have made no claims that it is being used to indoctrinate children into Islam. I simply questioned the motivation of such an inclusion, and refuted some ignorant notions as to what Muslims actually believe.

My feelings are hurt. Some lunatic, who I'll never meet in real life, on USMB doesn't think I'm a teacher....whatever will I do? How will I be able to sleep at night?

Using "fancy" language doesn't make you more intelligent, it means you put more time in on thesaurus.com.

You didn't dispute his statements in the first place-that's why you had no refutation.

You provided a link to a website...but failed to be specific with citations. What part of your link shows that the majority of Muslims aren't extremists?

When you asked about that by other posters you responded by doing the same exact thing you attempted to do to me: personal attacks. I'd guess that's because you have nothing to really add to the discussion yourself.

PS: For my state's writing requirement (every student has to answer a writing prompt with an essay) if you cited the source material but didn't add your own commentary...you would fail. You'd then have to re-take the writing the following year, and be put into and IR class.

Using "fancy" language doesn't make you more intelligent, it means you put more time in on thesaurus.com.

You didn't dispute his statements in the first place-that's why you had no refutation.

You provided a link to a website...but failed to be specific with citations. What part of your link shows that the majority of Muslims aren't extremists?

When you asked about that by other posters you responded by doing the same exact thing you attempted to do to me: personal attacks. I'd guess that's because you have nothing to really add to the discussion yourself.

PS: For my state's writing requirement (every student has to answer a writing prompt with an essay) if you cited the source material but didn't add your own commentary...you would fail. You'd then have to re-take the writing the following year, and be put into and IR class.

I directed people to the exact page that backed up my assertion. If you lack the ability to look up the populations of the various countries involved and perform the sorts of basic mathematic computations both of my children could handle by the third grade, that is your problem, not mine.

I am no lunatic, but merely intelligent enough to realize the proof is in the pudding. Your claiming to be some sort of English teacher while making such egregious errors in grammar is a tipoff every bit as much as if you claimed to be an astronomer without being able to identify so much as the planets in our solar system. I realize the old maxim of "those who can't do, teach" was meant tongue in check, but you are expecting me to believe it is an absolute. I have more respect for teachers than to think you are one of them, and while the standards may have dropped since I was a child, they haven't dropped THAT much.

I directed people to the exact page that backed up my assertion. If you lack the ability to look up the populations of the various countries involved and perform the sorts of basic mathematic computations both of my children could handle by the third grade, that is your problem, not mine.

I am no lunatic, but merely intelligent enough to realize the proof is in the pudding. Your claiming to be some sort of English teacher while making such egregious errors in grammar is a tipoff every bit as much as if you claimed to be an astronomer without being able to identify so much as the planets in our solar system. I realize the old maxim of "those who can't do, teach" was meant tongue in check, but you are expecting me to believe it is an absolute. I have more respect for teachers than to think you are one of them, and while the standards may have dropped since I was a child, they haven't dropped THAT much.

You provided a link to a website but you did NOT give any commentary on it. That shows us that you can find information on a website, but it doesn't prove you know how to interpret it. When you provide "proof" you need to explain it, not because the readers aren't able to interpret it but because it's a demonstration of YOUR knowledge on the subject-and not just somebody else's. For example, I've studied Plato (in order to enhance my ability to teach), but if I were just to blindly post information online relating to Plato it does NOT demonstrate that I actually comprehend what's being presented.

As I mentioned previously if you were to do that on an essay not only would I fail you, but the state would as well and you'd have to take IR (intensive reading) classes.

Predictably you resort to personal attacks because you have nothing else to say. You have also failed to give any commentary on the "evidence" that YOU brought up. That's like saying saying that you have a fire-breathing dragon in your garage, and to prove it you upload a picture of a dragon in your garage and when people ask you to elaborate you say "if you don't know how to look at a picture and are unable to comprehend the picture that's your fault not mine".

In other words when you bring up evidence to support your claim the burden is on YOU to prove your point and not the reader's.

PS: As I stated earlier this is an internet message board and I fully admit that I don't take the time to proof my typing be I honestly don't see the need to.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back