High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards

DixieJohn

Rookie
Oct 24, 2014
Dixieland
Parents in Farmville, North Carolina want to know why their children were given a Common Core vocabulary assignment in an English class that promoted the Prophet Muhammad and the Islamic faith.

“It really caught me off guard,” a Farmville Central High School student who was in the class told me. “If we are not allowed to talk about any other religions in school – how is this appropriate?”

The Islamic vocabulary worksheet was assigned to seniors.

“I was reading it and it caught me off guard,” the student told me. “I just looked at it and knew something was not right – so I emailed the pages to my mom.”

“In the following exercises, you will have the opportunity to expand your vocabulary by reading about Muhammad and the Islamic word,” the worksheet read.

The lesson used words like astute, conducive, erratic, mosque, pastoral, and zenith in sentences about the Islamic faith.

“The zenith of any Muslim’s life is a trip to Mecca,” one sentence read. For “erratic,” the lesson included this statement: “The responses to Muhammad’s teachings were at first erratic. Some people responded favorably, while other resisted his claim that ‘there is no God but Allah and Muhammad his Prophet.”

Another section required students to complete a sentence:

“There are such vast numbers of people who are anxious to spread the Muslim faith that it would be impossible to give a(n)___ amount.”

High School Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards Fox News

If those are the standards of our schools, I am willing to call our education dead. Even being extremely eager to understand the necessity to study certain vocabulary, I still cannot see why the school needed to choose the method listed. Why do we even need to bind our education with religion? Especially when it’s not religion studies…
And considering the other stories here... it's hard to escape the conclusion.

Parents in Farmville, North Carolina want to know why their children were given a Common Core vocabulary assignment in an English class that promoted the Prophet Muhammad and the Islamic faith.

“It really caught me off guard,” a Farmville Central High School student who was in the class told me. “If we are not allowed to talk about any other religions in school – how is this appropriate?”

“I was reading it and it caught me off guard,” the student told me. “I just looked at it and knew something was not right – so I emailed the pages to my mom.”

“In the following exercises, you will have the opportunity to expand your vocabulary by reading about Muhammad and the Islamic word,” the worksheet read.

The lesson used words like astute, conducive, erratic, mosque, pastoral, and zenith in sentences about the Islamic faith.

“The zenith of any Muslim’s life is a trip to Mecca,” one sentence read. For “erratic,” the lesson included this statement: “The responses to Muhammad’s teachings were at first erratic. Some people responded favorably, while other resisted his claim that ‘there is no God but Allah and Muhammad his Prophet.”

“There are such vast numbers of people who are anxious to spread the Muslim faith that it would be impossible to give a(n)___ amount.”

If those are the standards of our schools, I am willing to call our education dead. Even being extremely eager to understand the necessity to study certain vocabulary, I still cannot see why the school needed to choose the method listed. Why do we even need to bind our education with religion? Especially when it’s not religion studies…

And to think....Jeb Bush approves and promotes it.

In a class about world literature that exposes students to writings from many different cultures andnfaiths? The horror!

Solution: don't send your kids to school cons. The Bible's the only education they'll ever need.

No government schools. Private, Charter or home-school.

Odds are if you're offended by your kids learning about other cultures, you can't afford a private or charter school. There are plenty of cheap ways to home school though :thup:

Surely I'm not the only one who noticed that they left out the part about Eisha, one of Muhammad's wives/pets, who was only six-years-old, which is pretty fucked-up, even by medieval standards.

Surely I'm not the only one who noticed that they left out the part about Eisha, one of Muhammad's wives/pets, who was only six-years-old, which is pretty fucked-up, even by medieval standards.
They always leave out Adam's first wife that left him....

Putting aside the fact that this is from Todd Starnes, who is stark raving mad and an asshole to boot, the FOX report, if it is accurate, has some legitimate gripes.

No 1 - if this is happening in an English class, it is totally inappropriate.

No. 2 - it does not sound like Common Core at all - it sounds like one individual teacher with a flair for Islam. For were this truly Common Core, we would be seeing this all over the nation, and we are not.

No. 3 - the fact that the School did not respond to requests to see English Class materials about other religions or, at least religious figures, speaks volumes for itself.

I don't like what I am seeing - not because some information or vocabulary about Islam is necessarily evil, but because it is happening in the wrong class for this kind of subject, and apparently, leaving all other religions in the dust. Not cool, not cool at all.

I do not see the problem in learning about other cultures, I believe it supports more well rounded thinkers in our community and allows people to become open minded and therefore able to think on different fronts.

I think you mean Muslims and I doubt learning a small portion of Islam in a lit class will turn children into Muslim extremists. Almost all Muslims are kind and devout people it's just the few extremists that give them a bad name.

I think you mean Muslims and I doubt learning a small portion of Islam in a lit class will turn children into Muslim extremists. Almost all Muslims are kind and devout people it's just the few extremists that give them a bad name.

Several hundred million Muslims believe in killing those who leave Islam.

But if you prefer making up crap because you know absolutely nothing, please feel free to continue.

This is about learning about Muslims as a small part of social sciences, not by Jihadists coming for you.

This is up there as one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen.

When will you chicken littles actually learn what common core is, and when will you stop pissing yourselves over every mention of Islam?

Islam may not be in the common core practice for lit classes but it's important to remember that in lit classes students learn how to analyze readings and excerpts from all kinds of poems, books, and speeches, regardless of the aspect of religion. Not everything students learn in school is set in their common core, that's the beauty of our education system.

Forum List

Back