High blood pressure complications....?

BecauseIKnow

Rookie
Aug 5, 2012
My father went to pick up antibiotics for me with a few of his friends at RiteAid...anyways while there he did a random check which his friend made him do and he got 190/100 plus something around those lines....so he bought the machine and he's worried if he really does have high blood pressure. We've been checking and it's still 160 to 152 and he did checks at a urgent center and the doctor said everything is good but told him to quit smoking and start excersising, etc. But he is calming down and not worrying, his friend also knows and says not to worry because it fluctuates alot the specific machine, it gets lower when you relax but it still seems a little high. But anyways, the bottom line is I don't want a surprise to happen and want to know how someone could really tell? Is this the hardest disease to know about?

Anyone that knows more about this, I want to know if he is ok, he's working towards quitting smoking and he's generally a healthy person, not overweight at all. I just want to make sure nothing bad happens. Help would be appreciated. Thanks....:cool:

Working towards quitting smoking is not quitting smoking. Probably if he would actually quit smoking his blood pressure would improve.

Everybody's blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day. It starts out lower then increases during the day and then gradually goes down as we end our workdays and start to slow down for the day.

What readings does he get when he is totally relaxed? Up to 139 is borderline high, 140 and up is high. What are the lowest readings he gets?

Generally speaking, it takes a while for high blood pressure to cause damage to bodily organs, years even. Especially if it is only moderately high. Nonetheless, you want to get a handle on it.

Don't worry, your Dad will be all right. This may be a wake up call and turn out to be a good thing!

• Banned
Working towards quitting smoking is not quitting smoking. Probably if he would actually quit smoking his blood pressure would improve.

Everybody's blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day. It starts out lower then increases during the day and then gradually goes down as we end our workdays and start to slow down for the day.

What readings does he get when he is totally relaxed? Up to 139 is borderline high, 140 and up is high. What are the lowest readings he gets?

Generally speaking, it takes a while for high blood pressure to cause damage to bodily organs, years even. Especially if it is only moderately high. Nonetheless, you want to get a handle on it.

Don't worry, your Dad will be all right. This may be a wake up call and turn out to be a good thing!

He got as to high as 190'when he first checked the lowest he can get is around 145 and it was 160 in the morning but it fluctuates.

He is also completely gonna quit starting tomorrow and he will exercise in 3 days. But it's also about caffeine so he is gonna start drinking decaf.

I'm afraid of a random stroke and high blood pressure is known as the silent killer. So it's hard to tell if he needs medication.

But the worst part is the 145 lowest is while he took a pill earlier in the day.

• Banned

I agree. The doctor shouldn't be saying everything is good if he's consistently getting readings in the 150's and 160's! Although the doctor's advise to quit smoking and start exercising was right on, much better than getting put on medication right off the bat!

He checked his sugar and other stuff, he didn't say his high blood pressure is good, he gave him medication.

• Banned
He's taking Zestril 10 mg btw.....one tablet daily. And still 145-160 seems to high and not normal.

the number to watch about is the low number....

Current levels..... start to be concerned when the low number is above 90

He is going to need to exercise, quit smoking....and cut out all of the salt. That means reading labels on prepared foods...and not adding any salt to his home cooked food. I would also see if his cholesterol has been checked.

Lisinopril is a very common old BP drug...and he has been prescribed the lowest dosage. That's good news. So don't worry.....

and get a blood pressure cuff to take his levels at home!

It is above 90 as well and I heard from a few friends today who are doctors told us the lower number is dangerous.

He is going to need to exercise, quit smoking....and cut out all of the salt. That means reading labels on prepared foods...and not adding any salt to his home cooked food. I would also see if his cholesterol has been checked.

Lisinopril is a very common old BP drug...and he has been prescribed the lowest dosage. That's good news. So don't worry.....

We have been using the blood pressure machine/cuff at home and the number sometimes fluctuates but it's still a little over normal.

The salt is probably one of the main reasons and he is quitting salt as well.

It is above 90 as well and I heard from a few friends today who are doctors told us the lower number is dangerous.

agreed. The lower number is the one to watch. He must try and get it below 90.

If he has just started on the drug... it needs time to kick in. If it does not change in 3-6 months... then look into asking about increasing the dose. Get that blood pressure monitor for home. You will want to take it 3 times a day... when he gets up... in the afternoon... and at bedtime. And chart the results.

salt...i am serious about the salt thing. Total of less then 1200mg A DAY! Read all packaging for sodium amounts AND portion for said amount.

We have been using the blood pressure machine/cuff at home and the number sometimes fluctuates but it's still a little over normal.

telling me "a little over normal" is not telling me anything..... numbers. This one is all about the numbers.....

and the number is 90.

telling me "a little over normal" is not telling me anything..... numbers. This one is all about the numbers.....

and the number is 90.

I wasn't sure now....he's asleep and he doesn't want to stick to medication, if it turns out excersising and being healthier will make his blood pressure normal then he will do that and leave medication alone....I was also told if it fluctuates that means its normal blood pressure....not high. Anyways, are you a doctor? Or just general knowledge?

still fishing about me are you...... good luck with that.

his bottom number, even though it is going up and down... is still far to high in my opinion.

He SHOULD take the meds. I know you cant force him to take them but he should. If he has a stroke or heart attack... blame him for not taking the meds....and not yourself

his bottom number, even though it is going up and down... is still far to high in my opinion.

He SHOULD take the meds. I know you cant force him to take them but he should. If he has a stroke or heart attack... blame him for not taking the meds....and not yourself

No, asking if you know whether the medicine is the right one to use.

if this is his first BP drug.. then yes it is the right one to start with and the right dose to start with. It is the mildest with the least side effects.

and i am pretty sure why he is worried about the drugs. :badgrin:

if this is his first BP drug.. then yes it is the right one to start with and the right dose to start with. It is the mildest with the least side effects.

He just doesn't wanna be on medication for his whole life especially if it turns out his blood pressure can be solved a different way..watching his food, health, coffee, and I hope smoking makes a difference once he stops.

He just doesn't wanna be on medication for his whole life especially if it turns out his blood pressure can be solved a different way..watching his food, health, coffee, and I hope smoking makes a difference once he stops.

oh i am pretty darn sure its other reasons then that...... :lol:

Forum List

Back