Hi - just joined.

Hello. Just a quick post to announce my arrival here. I've just registered, and I'm sure I'll become increasingly active here in the weeks ahead.

'Me', in a nutshell, well, I'm British, strongly Conservative, and VERY supportive of the War on Terror. I advocate a zero tolerance policy to anything to do with terrorism, as I'm sure my posts will make clear in due course.

Good to be here !

Welcome, Britfire!

Welcome. Good luck and have fun. Litmus test for ya. Would Sarah Palin have been a good v.p.?

Many thanks.

On Sarah Palin, no, I don't think she'd have been a good VP. I think she would've been a GREAT VP !!

I think, over time, she would have energised American politics and forced Liberals into full defensive mode. And quite likely ... in the hearts of Americans, before too long, she'd have outclassed her boss !

It's such a shame that she didn't get a crack at that job. I hope we've not seen the last of her political ambitions.

Welcome Britfire54. It seems as though Labor polling is surging with a swing momentum at the moment.

I take it you have in mind a Guardian / ICM poll ? You DO know that the Guardian is traditionally a Left-wing newspaper ?

That said, Labour's apparent popularity is astonishing to me. Everyone knows the mess they made of the UK economy when in power, and that austerity measures we now have to suffer are largely their fault.

Time will tell as to whether that lead is real. After all, they're the most pro-European of the Parties, and our membership of the EU is far from popular here.

Welcome Britfire54. It seems as though Labor polling is surging with a swing momentum at the moment.

I take it you have in mind a Guardian / ICM poll ? You DO know that the Guardian is traditionally a Left-wing newspaper ?

That said, Labour's apparent popularity is astonishing to me. Everyone knows the mess they made of the UK economy when in power, and that austerity measures we now have to suffer are largely their fault.

Time will tell as to whether that lead is real. After all, they're the most pro-European of the Parties, and our membership of the EU is far from popular here.

And considering Germany's influence I totally understand that feeling over EU membership. I personally say "Get out" as well.

And considering Germany's influence I totally understand that feeling over EU membership. I personally say "Get out" as well.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

There must be someone here that hates the British; perhaps you'll find her/him.

Good luck. (by the way, have you seen 'Lincoln' yet?)

Last edited:
How long have you actually lived in the UK, Britfire?

Welcome.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. The answer to your question is .. all of my life !

I'm British by birth ... born in north London, moved to Wales a handful of years ago.

Hi and welcome. Quite new here myself and still attempting to get my sea legs . North London you say. I spent a few years abroad and most of it was in North London. I really enjoyed my time there. If it is not too much trouble I would like to pm you with a few questions about my old stomping grounds there and how it has changed or so I hear. If you would be so kind as to endure my many questions. . TIA

Sounds like 'fun' .. well, happy to argue my corner against any such contributor !

Many thanks for your wishes - and no, I've not seen 'Lincoln'. Perhaps I'll make a point of it.

So, how well did the actor playing the part manage it ? Was he convincing, do you think ?

Welcome. Good luck and have fun. Litmus test for ya. Would Sarah Palin have been a good v.p.?

Many thanks.

On Sarah Palin, no, I don't think she'd have been a good VP. I think she would've been a GREAT VP !!

I think, over time, she would have energised American politics and forced Liberals into full defensive mode. And quite likely ... in the hearts of Americans, before too long, she'd have outclassed her boss !

It's such a shame that she didn't get a crack at that job. I hope we've not seen the last of her political ambitions.

OK, you just stated Palin would have been good for this country.

I dont mind those on the right. A good republican is what this country needs. Anyone who thinks Palin would have been good for this country is a right wing nut, not a republican or honest conservative.

Good luck and honestly, you will fit in just fine here.

Right wing nut.

Welcome!

How long have you actually lived in the UK, Britfire?

Welcome.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. The answer to your question is .. all of my life !

I'm British by birth ... born in north London, moved to Wales a handful of years ago.

Hi and welcome. Quite new here myself and still attempting to get my sea legs . North London you say. I spent a few years abroad and most of it was in North London. I really enjoyed my time there. If it is not too much trouble I would like to pm you with a few questions about my old stomping grounds there and how it has changed or so I hear. If you would be so kind as to endure my many questions. . TIA

Many thanks, Redbone, for your wishes.

So, you enjoyed my 'homeland' ? Good to hear. By all means, PM if you'd like. And by the way, you're right about its having changed. You don't say when you were there, so it's possible you'd notice such changes if you revisited and maybe wonder at how such great changes could've possibly come about.

We've seen many social changes over the years, and we continue to. Our very character as a nation is undergoing a great upheaval.

Many thanks.

OK, you just stated Palin would have been good for this country.

I dont mind those on the right. A good republican is what this country needs. Anyone who thinks Palin would have been good for this country is a right wing nut, not a republican or honest conservative.

Good luck and honestly, you will fit in just fine here.

Right wing nut.

Welcome!

I appreciate the welcome.

For the life of me, though, I fail to see why you're so apparently strongly opposed to Sarah Palin. Besides, how can you claim anyone seeing her as good for the country isn't a republican ?

Do you perhaps think McCain WASN'T a Republican ?

I think you overlook the fact that Sarah Palin as VP was untried and untested. You cannot, surely, know how she'd have ultimately settled into the role, regardless of any reservations you might've had about her otherwise. How can you know she wouldn't have excelled ?

I can only think that your objections are partisan-based. Am I correct ?

I believe that the Republican Party badly needs some new blood, someone at the helm who fully connects not only with its Conservative roots, but who can appeal to decent, grassroots Conservative thinking. For the Republicans to rediscover such true, decent Conservative values and to wholeheartedly embrace them, cannot be a bad thing.

To offer you a British parallel - consider Margaret Thatcher. She was from the Right of our Conservative Party, and some distrusted her, were wary of where she might lead the Party. But she was a particularly successful Prime Minister who did our country a power of good, and despite being 'hated' by many people, still managed to gain THREE successive landslide victories.

You can't beat good, strong, full-blooded Conservative policies and instinct. I submit to you that Sarah Palin has these in abundance.

Quick message to 'Redbone', answering the 'PM' request. I've just seen that I need to add 50 posts here before I'll be able to reply to anything you'd care to ask. Happy to reply, though I have some work to do, yet, before I can respond properly !

Please be patient. I'll reply when I can.

Sounds like 'fun' .. well, happy to argue my corner against any such contributor !

Many thanks for your wishes - and no, I've not seen 'Lincoln'. Perhaps I'll make a point of it.

So, how well did the actor playing the part manage it ? Was he convincing, do you think ?

no, no, no...god bless england....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYfvLBs_9Y]The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem - Whack Fol the Diddle - YouTube[/ame]

JK.

or maybe taffy...

thyse dydes yre sy tynglyd yp, y nyvyr syw y pyyply why lyvyd thy lyttyr "y" sy mych.

Sut dych chi ?

No, 'Taffy' wouldn't be very appropriate (though thanks for the thought). I'd have to be a Welshman to qualify. I'm English, just living in Wales.

All the street signs are bilingual. Makes me feel like I might be being sworn at. Same with train announcements, though true Welsh speakers in Wales are very much a minority, except maybe for in a handful of rural areas in the north of the country.

They have (or had ?) their own TV channel, called 'S4C'. It was watched by so few people that it was in danger of going out of business. I think the BBC had to step in to rescue it.

They also ran a football programme called 'Sgorio', I think it was. Viewing figures were so low that the company given the task of measuring its audience couldn't even get measurements of what the numbers were - -

Quick message to 'Redbone', answering the 'PM' request. I've just seen that I need to add 50 posts here before I'll be able to reply to anything you'd care to ask. Happy to reply, though I have some work to do, yet, before I can respond properly !

Please be patient. I'll reply when I can.
Sorry, a newbie here myself. I had forgotten about the 50 posts rule. Check out the threads and jump right on in. Nothing like a few(many) belly busters to bring on the show.:lol:
Will be looking forward to our chat. Thanks

Forum List

Back