Here's the list of some of the pork in the bill that Reps. want out!

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
On Monday, Congressional Republican leaders put out a list of what they call wasteful provisions in the Senate version of the nearly $900 billion stimulus bill that is being debated:

• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.

• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.

• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.

• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).

• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.

• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.

• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.

• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's. (sexually transmitted disease)

• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.

• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.

• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.

• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.

• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.

• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.

• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.

• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.

• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.

• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings.

• $500 million for state and local fire stations.

• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.

• $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.

• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.

• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.

• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.

• $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.

• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.

• $850 million for Amtrak.

• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.

• $75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.

• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.

• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.

What GOP Leaders deem wasteful in Senate stimulus bill

Last edited:
Oreo...you make this easy, this is called (wait for it)...a STIMULUS PACKAGE, not the national budget.

Would you rather they drop a trillion dollars out of a helicopter and see what happens?

If you give people money, many will pay down their debts, which is deflationary (and part of the cause of our failing global economy).

But this bill is all about CREATING JOBS and throwing money into the economy. So why not create jobs that get important things done (that will save on future expenses like weatherizing gov't buildings and updating vehicles to hybrids) in the process?

What they wanted 'out' were things that won't create jobs, thus wealth. Even with building projects, what would be created would be temporary. This is a wreck in the works and your great grandchildren will still be paying for it.

Oreo...you make this easy, this is called (wait for it)...a STIMULUS PACKAGE, not the national budget.

Would you rather they drop a trillion dollars out of a helicopter and see what happens?

If you give people money, many will pay down their debts, which is deflationary (and part of the cause of our failing global economy).

But this bill is all about CREATING JOBS and throwing money into the economy. So why not create jobs that get important things done (that will save on future expenses like weatherizing gov't buildings and updating vehicles to hybrids) in the process?

They might as well since they would both have the same effect on the economy.

There is what...304 million people in the USA? How about the government just give everyone a million dollars and call it a day. It would be a lot cheeper AND everyone would go out and spend spend spend...

There is what...304 million people in the USA? How about the government just give everyone a million dollars and call it a day. It would be a lot cheeper AND everyone would go out and spend spend spend...

.....one million x 304 million is pretty damed expensive....i think it is like 3 trillion dollars......hope you never become the Treasury Sec.......

Shadow, the government wants the people to be needy, they don't want them self sufficient. The left is really trying to make this a 2 class society, not 3 class. They want the wealthy, and then they want the needy. This will ensure that they get elected everytime. They hand out just enough to make sure that you are still in need. This is why big government just doesn't work in a capitalistic society.

.....one million x 304 million is pretty damed expensive....i think it is like 3 trillion dollars......hope you never become the Treasury Sec.......

Huh? You give all 304 million people in the USA a million dollars = 304 million dollars. You applying Obama math to your total or something?

Huh? You give all 304 million people in the USA a million dollars = 304 million dollars. You applying Obama math to your total or something?

Huh??? you give 304 people a million dollars, and you get a total of 304 million. Do you have that fuzzy math going on?

Shadow were the hell did you go to school?.....multiply 1 million dollars x 304 million,then tell me what you come up with OK .....your total of 304 million would be if you gave a million to 304 people.....as Meister has pointed out......

Last edited:

Uh, no. If you give 304 million people $1, it's $304 million dollars. Now multiply that by a million.

Capital idea Shadow, instead of spending nearly a trillion dollars; spend 3.4 trillion.

It's a great thing you're not running the Fed.

Last edited:

only if they are going to do it in MY neighborhood :lol:

j/k

um, you messed up on several decimal points

Uh, no. If you give 304 million people $1, it's $304 million dollars. Now multiply that by a million.

Yes,I left off the zeros I realized that when I came back to the computer...my bad. Thanks.

Forum List

Back