Hello from Vietnam

Circumcision is done for hygienic reasons, not for religious ones, which is why it became a common practice among non-Jewish peoples in the West; it was thought to be so among Jewish peoples way back when, and probably practiced by other peoples in the region as well. Some families have it done these days, others don't any more. No big secret. How effective it is at reducing urinary infections and the like I wouldn't know, haven't seen any recent studies on it.

156 years old! wow! :D
what I would like to know about America? well...there's something strange about America I can't explain to myself
I made some little research in books and Internet but I can't find anything good (I found different explanations but I don't understand which one is the good one).
Why almost all American males are circumcised.
Hebraism is a minority so I don't understand the meaning of circumcision for Americans :)
I've a strange curiosity about the metric system in America but that's another issue :D

Well now, that's quite a question......I think I'll go along with "Anotherlife"'s answer...it has something to do with our Hebrew's need to torture their young men early on so they know what to expect from life. :dunno:

Now I'd like to ask you a question. Our recon team hung out with the Dega montagnards at An Khe. They hated the communists and were hated in return and we've heard terrible stories about their fate after Vietnam fell. Were they hunted down and murdered or were they forgiven for their support of the US effort there?
I made a little research in some Vietnamese websites about that.
Some of them were executed and many other sent to re-education camps because they helped South vietnamese governement and American troops.
But now the situation is getting better :)
Officially they have the same rights we all have here.
The problem is that they want some kind of "autonomy" but Hanoi government doesn't want to give them.
Vietnam is not a federal country and doesn't want to be federal :)

For those who don't know about the Viet montagnards, they are dark-skinned peoples of the central highlands and are treated like dirt by lighter skinned Vietnamese. They were instrumental in teaching us how the VC operated and how to counter them. Imagine if we sent our blacks to "re-education camps" for wanting to leave free. I doubt very much that the communist rats who now rule all of Vietnam have given them any rights at all and I also doubt many of them are still alive. This is no reflection on "esthermoon"....she seems like a very nice young lady as were most of the people we went there to save from the little monsters in Hanoi.
My next door neighbor and his wife are Montagnard and Hmong respectively. Neither have ever been to Vietnam. In 1975, both their parents and families were resettled here in Charlotte in the thousands by the Special Forces from Ft Bragg for their valuable help in Vietnam. These people as well as the regular Vietnamese who were brought from VN for their help are some of the most dedicated American citizens in the country and I am proud to have been associated with them during my tours to Vietnam.

Almost all of 'The Old Grey Men' from the Ho era have passed on now, only a very few are left, and the younger generations are coming into power there, and they lean toward aligning with the U.S., and for obvious reasons. They have already opened up the country more so than the old men would have liked, and after the last one or two 'Grey Men' pass, which will be very soon, things will get opened up more, though the 'global economy' may implode even more by then, and it may not matter much, who knows.

They are my favorite Asian people and cultures, along with Malaysian Christian Chinese.

Hey Esther, do you do Christmas in Vietnam? I think Vietnam is not a principally Christian country, so I am wondering. Or do you celebrate Diwali(?) the fest of light instead, like India does?

Hey Esther, do you do Christmas in Vietnam? I think Vietnam is not a principally Christian country, so I am wondering. Or do you celebrate Diwali(?) the fest of light instead, like India does?
Hey! We have Christmas here unless our country is not "completely" Christian. There are Christians here (more in the South than in the North) but not too much.
Even in my Buddhist family we say "happy Christmas" to each other every December 25 :)
I think it's a tradition French leave to us!

Hey! We have Christmas here unless our country is not "completely" Christian. There are Christians here (more in the South than in the North) but not too much.
Even in my Buddhist family we say "happy Christmas" to each other every December 25 :)
Yay this is interesting. Here in France, Christmas is the biggest national holiday. I am curious about Buddhism, and now that you said you were Buddhist, I am wondering about this. Do nations get reincarnated? France is over 1000 years old but still it can be wiped off the map by an aggressor. Also, many countries have been erased. Can they come back, like individual people can be reborn? In south France, there was a very popular Christian sect in the 1200s, called the Albigenses, who believed in both Christian and some Buddhist teachings simultaneously. They held too, that Jesus Christ, between his childhood and start of adult mission, visited Buddhist monasteries. How do I learn more about Buddhism, especially the part that non human objects play in the cycle, like stones, plants, and animals? This is sooo interesting!

Yay this is interesting. Here in France, Christmas is the biggest national holiday. I am curious about Buddhism, and now that you said you were Buddhist, I am wondering about this. Do nations get reincarnated? France is over 1000 years old but still it can be wiped off the map by an aggressor. Also, many countries have been erased. Can they come back, like individual people can be reborn? In south France, there was a very popular Christian sect in the 1200s, called the Albigenses, who believed in both Christian and some Buddhist teachings simultaneously. They held too, that Jesus Christ, between his childhood and start of adult mission, visited Buddhist monasteries. How do I learn more about Buddhism, especially the part that non human objects play in the cycle, like stones, plants, and animals? This is sooo interesting!
Hey anotherlife! :bye1:
You know Buddhism is not a "consistent" religion. Like Christianity we have many different religious denominations.
My family follows Mahayana which is one of the prominet form of Buddhism in Asia and in the world I believe :)
Anyway I don't know any form of Buddhism that believes in reincarnation of Nations
If you want to learn more about Buddhism I can recommend you a book written by an Italian philosopher and writer Julius Evola
The book is "The doctrine of awakening".
It's the best book about Buddhism written by a westerner writer I've ever read :)

I think she got blocked by the govt. there. A couple other VN posters have disappeared over the last year, from other boards I used to post at.

Hello guys! Nice to meet all of you!
upload_2018-7-7_13-16-18.png

Welcome James! Too shy to start your own thread? That's okay. Make yourself to home.

Forum List

Back