Hello from FL

Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
:banana2:

Hello TCleary. Nice to meet you, and thanks for an introduction that was honest and refreshing.

I hope you enjoy your time at USMB and I ***WELCOME*** and do not judge you. :)

Becki,

I don't know where you're coming from. I expressed no animosity toward my parents; this is a discussion about religion. My parents did a fantastic job, and they're the most respected people in my life.

The fact that you've put words in my mouth is affirmed by the quote of mine you so generously provided.

I registered on this forum because I thought I could have a decent discussion. You're ruining my faith in that notion.

If you disagree with me, say so. But don't act like a child.

:lmao:

Welcome to Thunderdome.

Becki,

I don't know where you're coming from. I expressed no animosity toward my parents; this is a discussion about religion. My parents did a fantastic job, and they're the most respected people in my life.

The fact that you've put words in my mouth is affirmed by the quote of mine you so generously provided.

I registered on this forum because I thought I could have a decent discussion. You're ruining my faith in that notion.

If you disagree with me, say so. But don't act like a child.
You said of your parents of your youth: "I feel cheated .... I feel lied to .... I feel I was done a disservice .... "
Of course, you're free to disrespect their unappreciated service to you of putting up with stinky pants, why questions, devotion to your needs, and your total rejection as a consequence due to your present precocious enlightenment of their diminished capacity and simple-mindedness of giving you teachings in their faith, now a topic of your stern and studied criticism in favor of the religion of atheism, which allows you to sin sans consequences, since there be no saving God's hand to account to who inspired the founders of this country to break free of tyrants of the earth. Why, hell, anybody who 'disagrees' with you, the world's acme in modern adulthood, must be "acting like a child." :lmao:

Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
:banana2:

:welcome:

Not sure, but I like the Florida part at least
:cool:
Usually when somebody says, "I try not to identify with any one party or ideology" they're usually full of shit.

But we'll see, I guess
:eusa_whistle:

You said of your parents of your youth: "I feel cheated .... I feel lied to .... I feel I was done a disservice .... "
Of course, you're free to disrespect their unappreciated service to you of putting up with stinky pants, why questions, devotion to your needs, and your total rejection as a consequence due to your present precocious enlightenment of their diminished capacity and simple-mindedness of giving you teachings in their faith, now a topic of your stern and studied criticism in favor of the religion of atheism, which allows you to sin sans consequences, since there be no saving God's hand to account to who inspired the founders of this country to break free of tyrants of the earth. Why, hell, anybody who 'disagrees' with you, the world's acme in modern adulthood, must be "acting like a child." :lmao:

Becki,

I do not reject my parents. I reject what they taught me about "God". Again, you've put words in my mouth. I would never refer to myself as enlightened; that's why I'm here. I never said my parents were simple-minded.

I feel cheated, lied to, and done a disservice by organized religion. If you were a close reader, you'd have noticed that.

Oh yeah TC, the right on here gathers up like clucking chickens to peck at anyone who forces them to face real facts.

They really dont like me.

This welcome thread > other welcome threads

There are people here who love to try and mess with peoples minds.

They do everything they can to avoid real conversations and reduce everything to that same shit you used to see in the bathroom in jr high.

You know where the self appointed cool kids act as if they own everything and try to prove it by treating everyone like shit.

Really petty and really stupid but its all they got.

They recieve joy from the idea they might have given someone emotional pain.

Remember No pain no gain.

Dont let them gain anything from trying to give you pain.

Becki,

I do not reject my parents. I reject what they taught me about "God". Again, you've put words in my mouth. I would never refer to myself as enlightened; that's why I'm here. I never said my parents were simple-minded.

I feel cheated, lied to, and done a disservice by organized religion. If you were a close reader, you'd have noticed that.
Yep. And you got even with organized religion forever by rejecting what your parents taught you about God by mopping the floor with the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth commandments. Not to worry. The First Amendment protects you, for a little while. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum Taylor. There's a lot of stuff going on here. :)

Thanks, Ropey.

Becki, I don't care about the Ten Commandments. I don't need them to lead a fulfilling life (and neither does anyone else). The way I see it, there only needs to be one commandment:

Matthew 7:12: "...do to others what you would have them do to you."

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "for a little while"?

Forum List

Back