Hello from FL

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TCleary, Dec 2, 2011.

1. TCleary

TCleary Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all,

My name's Taylor. I've actually been lurking around for a few weeks reading threads, I just haven't posted anything yet.

I'm about to graduate (in two weeks!) from an established Florida college with a BA in English Lit/Political Science. I'm a student, and people usually assume that means I'm a liberal, but I try not to identify with any one party or ideology.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist and a firm believer in the (complete) separation of church and state. I was raised hardcore Roman Catholic, and I feel it restricted my childhood in a number of ways. You could say I feel totally cheated by my religious upbringing.

That said, I love discussion and I'm a newbie, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can. Most of you seem like intelligent people, and I wish forums like this were way more popular.

Happy to be here,

Taylor

PS: This emoticon cracks me the fuck up:
    :banana2:

2. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,619
    Welcome, I'm in Orlando myself.

English Lit/Poly Sci? What are you going to do for a living?

It would be interesting to hear why you feel cheated by a religious upbringing. I was also raised Roman Catholic and I raised my children that way as well. now that they are grown, I no longer attend church much as I'm not really that into religion.

Anyway, welcome.

3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Welcome from the other sunny coast

4. TCleary

TCleary Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey PredFan,

Thanks for the reply.

I love writing, and my dream job would be writing political speeches for a high-ranking official. But I'll most likely end up doing articles for magazines/newspapers and teaching English. But I can't say I have any real idea where my life's going.

I meant that being a Roman Catholic made me believe that there were a lot of things I couldn't do. The Christian ideology, I feel, is based on restriction and obedience, and that's not what people (children especially) should base their worldview on. I think that teaching children that there is a higher power is a bad idea: it tells them that they're powerless, and that strikes a daily blow to their confidence. Don't get me wrong: I think the values and morals that Christianity teaches are very much worth learning, and I'm a strong supporter of the Golden Rule, but I don't think that Christianity is logical, and if one interprets the Bible as anything more than a collection of parables, they're in the wrong.

I feel cheated because I missed out on a lot of learning experiences that would have made me a much stronger, smarter, more confident, person. I feel lied to because I was told that there was God, and that's not true. I feel that I was done a disservice because I was made to follow a set of rules and restrictions laid down thousands of years ago that cannot possibly apply to today's world.

But I'm not mad. My parents were just doing what they thought was right. But I'm glad I figured it out. :eusa_whistle:

What do you think?

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion does alot of people alot of good.

It doesnt make it true

6. Ancient lion

Ancient lion Thank your creator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    wecome here

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Welcome.
    Since you've been lurking for a while you probably know that around here you have to be little swift, Taylor.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. TCleary

TCleary Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ancientlion, thanks for the reply!

Mr. H., I noticed lol

Truthmatters: I agree. Religion gives a lot of people a lot of comfort and the feeling of safety. But that feeling of safety should come from personal confidence, not the assumption that there's a God. Like you said, because it's good doesn't make it true.

9. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,619
    Get a job writing for a Democrat, you could just repeat the same slogans over and over then collect your check and go home.:lol:

Which is true of every religion.

I have to disagree. You can give a child that impression but if you do, you are doing a poor job of teaching your children. I raised all 5 of my daughters as Catholics and then when they wwere 18 they were allowed to decide where they wanted to take their religious lives after that. The three oldest are not particularly religious so far. At least I did my job and now as adults they can decide on their own.

Agreed.

Really? Like what? I was raised catholic and I am all of those things to a satisfactory degree.

Now there is no way that any of us can know that for sure is there?

Hmmm....Thou shalt not steal, lie, kill, commit adultery, worship false Gods, how do those not apply to today's world? I realize that a lot of people don't follow the adultery ban, myself included, but would today's world be worse off if no one committed adultery?

What you figured out was what your own personal view is. There's no way you can actually know that you figured anything out other than that.

Again, welcome.

10. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,860
    Granny says Hidy an' Welcome to the board...

... she wantin' to know if ya could send her a sack o' oranges for Christmas?...

... she likes eatin' oranges when its Christmas.
    :lol: