Heaven

C

clyde

I'm a newbie here.
Is it not true according to Christianity that when one dies,the body as well as the soul lays in the ground,and then upon the return Of Jesus those who believe in Him will rise to heaven?
If this is true,then no one has yet gone to heaven.
Please also tell me just where is heaven and what do people do there? Just to go to an afterlife and do nothing all day would sound like a pretty boring experience.I mean for example,here on Earth I like to go bowling.Of course in heaven I wouldn't want to do it all the time.Oh,and BTW do they have shoes and balls there?

Clyde

Welcome to the board clyde!

An interesting question - I always beleive that when we die, our souls are what leaves us and enter a different world, what world that is, not sure! I have heard people who claim that they have died and what the have claimed to be a beautiful after life, but who really knows. I can only hope that there is something after we leave...yes, I like to bowl too! haven't done it in a very long time, but your right, that would get boring after a while.

Well I thought according to Christianity that since Jesus has not returned to Earth that the dead just lie in pergatory until his return and then only those who believed in Him actually went to heaven after his return to Earth.

There's no passage.I just thought it's the general thinking of xtians that until J.C.returns to Earth that people who have died and committed themselves to Him would upon His return would be lifted to heaven.But since He hasn't returned the dead just lie in purgatory.
BTW,I'm not a xtian,nor have I read the bible,but I'm acquainted with some of the stories in the bible.

Clyde

O.K.lets start over.You tell me how and when does a xtian go to heaven.Is it upon the return to Earth of Jesus? Is it upon one's death? And explain what purgatory means? Thanx.

Clyde

Originally posted by clyde
O.K.lets start over.You tell me how and when does a xtian go to heaven.Is it upon the return to Earth of Jesus? Is it upon one's death? And explain what purgatory means? Thanx.

Clyde

Why? Don't you know the answers to these questions? I'm assuming that if you are starting this thread that you knew the facts of which you speak.

I'm just not aware of what you say, I don't read the bible too much. I was hoping you could enlighten me as to where you got your information from.

Sorry if I seem difficult, I'd just like some background on what you're saying.

Thanks!

Actually I don't have the answers to my questions.If I did there would be no need to ask these questions in the first place.I'm not a xtian.I'm asking these questions to get an understanding of xtian beliefs.I've never read the bible or any religious text.I basically don't have any faith in religious belief.I have an understanding of science and critical thinking.I was born into the Jewish faith.Growing up I never really had any interest in Judaism or for that matter any religion.I've asked questions before to others and their reply was always,read the bible,the answers are in the bible.But from what I've heard of these stories they seem so far-fetched,I just don't understand why someone with a rational mind would believe such stuff.The bible to me is written in such a style that makes it a very difficult read and all 66 books seem just too much to read.All I'm asking for is some concise,informational,non-biased answers.

Clyde

I've never read the bible or any religious text.

Then may I ask where you got your information from? I understand you placed it as a question in your original post, but it sounded like you were looking for confimation. I'm still curious as to where you got that information from had you never read the bible or any religious text.

My mothers sisters husband and his family were Roman Catholics.They told me about their beliefs.

OK... the Bible states that when Christ returns, He will resurrect those who believed in Him during their life. So you are correct in saying that no people are currently in heaven - except for Jesus Himself.
As far as what those dead people are doing right now, Paul seems to say that there will be no perceived time lag. For example, the Christians from the Middle Ages will not feel like they slept for a thousand years. Paul says that it will occur in "the twinkling of an eye" - in other words, almost instantaneously.
By the way, purgatory is not mentioned in the Bible. It is a Catholic invention.
As far as what heaven is... according to the Bible, it is an unimaginably beautiful place. And there probably will not be bowling. But the real beauty of it will not be gold streets or beautiful buildings or good music. It will be that people will ive in the very real presence of God, as He had originally intended.

O.K.thats just the kind of information I wanted to know.Now,does the bible say just when Jesus will return and how he'll return? Another words not to be funny or anything but will he suddenly be walking down Fifth Avenue in a loin cloth and people will recognize him and say,Hey Jesus.Is that really you.I mean like it's been 2003 years.Whats taken you so long man.

Clyde

O.K.thats just the kind of information I wanted to know.Now,does the bible say just when Jesus will return and how he'll return? Clyde

As far as when He will return, Jesus said that "no one knows that day, not even the Son, but only the Father." But there are many 'signs of the time' that He listed here that will show that the time is drawing near.
As far as how He will return, He stated that everyone will know when He comes back - there will be no mistaking, because the event will be so incredible. It's not like he'll show up at Times Square or the Wailing Wall just to hang out. In the book of Acts, chapter 1, it says that He will descend from heaven in the same manner that He was taken up to heaven.

There's a few things I don't understand according to your post.
You had stated Jesus said that,"no one knows that day,not even the Son but only the Father".
The word trinity comes to mind and I think but I'm not sure that it means the father,the Son and the Holy Ghost are one.If this is true then why then would only the Father know when Jesus would return when all three, are one of the same?
The second question I have is from what I've heard is that no one saw Jesus ascend to heaven.That Paul,I think? entered the tomb and saw that Jesus's body was not there and said,"He has risen".

Clyde

P.S.I'm going out now to have some lunch and will be back in an hour.I'm looking forward to your answer.

Clyde, what is your whole point in this thread? Surely your didn't come to the US Message Board just to enhance your knowledge on catholicism. Seems like you have some sort of agenda, care to clue us in?

c'mon? bowling and bowling shoes?

And why the Muslim section? Just curious...

There's a few things I don't understand according to your post.
You had stated Jesus said that,"no one knows that day,not even the Son but only the Father".
The word trinity comes to mind and I think but I'm not sure that it means the father,the Son and the Holy Ghost are one.If this is true then why then would only the Father know when Jesus would return when all three, are one of the same?
The second question I have is from what I've heard is that no one saw Jesus ascend to heaven.That Paul,I think? entered the tomb and saw that Jesus's body was not there and said,"He has risen".

Fair enough.

1. The doctrine of the Trinity states the God exists in three Persons: the Father (whom we usually refer to as 'God'), the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. While the three persons exist in one Godhead (as the terminology goes), it doesn't mean that they are the same person. So it is possible for Jesus to exist in a different state than God the Father (i.e. Jesus' time on earth).
2. Here's the account of the Ascension. Acts 1:1-11 The 11 remaining apostles were there, and were eyewitnesses to the event.

I have no agender.I am a newbie here and I mistakenly posted the subject,Heaven, on the Muslim board.I'm not perfect.I do make mistakes.I realize in my beginning post I sarcastically mentioned bowling in heaven.I hope I haven't offended anyone here.As a person who has no faith in religion or God(s).I simply wanted some explanations about the bible and the Catholic religion.gop_jeff has been nice enough to answer my questions and I thankyou.What I learned today hasn't changed my mind about religion or God(s),but has educated me a little about the Catholic Religion and will study the Book of Acts.

Clyde

Clyde,

Thanks for your honesty. However, I will tell you that the Bible is the spirtual text for all of Christianity, of which Catholicism is a subset. I'm not Catholic, but I am Christian. I'm not really sure where one would go to study Catholicism in specific. However, the site I got the Bible text from (Gospelcom.net), is a good resource for general info on Christianity.

You state,"I'm not Catholic but I'm a Christian"
What's the difference?
BTW,You might be interested in the following.My step-mother,who is still 96 years old,has a niece living in Pasadena,California.Her niece's husband died sometime in 2002.His name was Stanley Rader who was born into the Jewish faith but at some period in his life converted to and became second in charge of the World Church of God ( Herbert Armstrong was the leader).I don't think this church is in existence anymore.

Clyde

Forum List

Back