Heaven

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by clyde, Nov 16, 2003.

1. clyde

clyde Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie here.
    Is it not true according to Christianity that when one dies,the body as well as the soul lays in the ground,and then upon the return Of Jesus those who believe in Him will rise to heaven?
    If this is true,then no one has yet gone to heaven.
    Please also tell me just where is heaven and what do people do there? Just to go to an afterlife and do nothing all day would sound like a pretty boring experience.I mean for example,here on Earth I like to go bowling.Of course in heaven I wouldn't want to do it all the time.Oh,and BTW do they have shoes and balls there?

Clyde

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the board clyde!

An interesting question - I always beleive that when we die, our souls are what leaves us and enter a different world, what world that is, not sure! I have heard people who claim that they have died and what the have claimed to be a beautiful after life, but who really knows. I can only hope that there is something after we leave...yes, I like to bowl too! haven't done it in a very long time, but your right, that would get boring after a while.

3. clyde

clyde Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought according to Christianity that since Jesus has not returned to Earth that the dead just lie in pergatory until his return and then only those who believed in Him actually went to heaven after his return to Earth.

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hey, Clyde, welcome to the board. :)

Can you please cite the passage/s that you are referring to?

Thx

5. clyde

clyde Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There's no passage.I just thought it's the general thinking of xtians that until J.C.returns to Earth that people who have died and committed themselves to Him would upon His return would be lifted to heaven.But since He hasn't returned the dead just lie in purgatory.
    BTW,I'm not a xtian,nor have I read the bible,but I'm acquainted with some of the stories in the bible.

Clyde

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I'm still a little confused, forgive me!

First you said:
    The you replied:
    What did the "according to Christianity" refer to then?

7. clyde

clyde Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    O.K.lets start over.You tell me how and when does a xtian go to heaven.Is it upon the return to Earth of Jesus? Is it upon one's death? And explain what purgatory means? Thanx.

Clyde

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Why? Don't you know the answers to these questions? I'm assuming that if you are starting this thread that you knew the facts of which you speak.

I'm just not aware of what you say, I don't read the bible too much. I was hoping you could enlighten me as to where you got your information from.

Sorry if I seem difficult, I'd just like some background on what you're saying.

Thanks!

9. clyde

clyde Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I don't have the answers to my questions.If I did there would be no need to ask these questions in the first place.I'm not a xtian.I'm asking these questions to get an understanding of xtian beliefs.I've never read the bible or any religious text.I basically don't have any faith in religious belief.I have an understanding of science and critical thinking.I was born into the Jewish faith.Growing up I never really had any interest in Judaism or for that matter any religion.I've asked questions before to others and their reply was always,read the bible,the answers are in the bible.But from what I've heard of these stories they seem so far-fetched,I just don't understand why someone with a rational mind would believe such stuff.The bible to me is written in such a style that makes it a very difficult read and all 66 books seem just too much to read.All I'm asking for is some concise,informational,non-biased answers.

Clyde

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Then may I ask where you got your information from? I understand you placed it as a question in your original post, but it sounded like you were looking for confimation. I'm still curious as to where you got that information from had you never read the bible or any religious text.