Healthy Discusion About Marijuana

Six pages in, and not a credible link to be found.

Legalization would decrease the price, as you are currently paying people to risk death/imprisonment to get the stuff to you. Odds are, any (reasonable) tax the government levies will be less than the cost of the smuggling.

Not to mention, with legalization, you will reap the benefits of mass-production. I'm sure Phillip Morris could modify their factories to produce uniform marijuana cigarettes easily enough.

I would rather not have Phillip Morris anywhere near my pot. ;)
The concept does challenge our cultural assumptions...and poses interesting questions.

Will the bans on advertising tobacco to youths, also apply to marijuana? What will be the legal age (16? 18? 21?)? Will home-growers need to be licensed to sell their product? Will the FDA regulate marijuana products like it currently regulates tobacco products?

Will Rush Limbaugh and the hippies form a smoker's alliance?

I can show you research that links pot to mental illnesses such as paranoia. Just sayin'.

*Considers the possibility of the link between pot -> mental illness ->supporting Obama. Hmmmm.*
So can most of the psychiatric drugs we give to our mentally ill...

I can show you research that links pot to mental illnesses such as paranoia. Just sayin'.

*Considers the possibility of the link between pot -> mental illness ->supporting Obama. Hmmmm.*

But they are already mentally ill.

EU research is providing evidence of the link between pot and mental illness. While I have no actual problem with people choosing to fuck themselves, I'm not convinced the government should legitimize it.

smoke one marijuana cigarette and you've done the damage of 1 package of cigarettes.. not to mention loss of brain cells.. most democwats suffer from this.. :eusa_angel:

Show me one person who has gotten lung cancer from smoking pot

The problem with that part is it usually shows up in teens which is when some develope them anyways. And really it is the person probably trying to self medicate, instead of the pot causing the mental illness. It is kind of like autism and vaccines IMO.

EU research is providing evidence of the link between pot and mental illness. While I have no actual problem with people choosing to fuck themselves, I'm not convinced the government should legitimize it.
Nobody (I see) is suggesting that the government subsidize pot, but rather I think it is useless to hunt down users as though they were felons.

I could easily kill myself with this bottle of vodka, right now. At one point in US History, and in most of the Middle East, owning this bottle makes me a felon.

If I have the right to drink my liver and brain to death, why shouldn't I have the right to smoke it to death, as well?

Nobody (I see) is suggesting that the government subsidize pot, but rather I think it is useless to hunt down users as though they were felons.

I could easily kill myself with this bottle of vodka, right now. At one point in US History, and in most of the Middle East, owning this bottle makes me a felon.

If I have the right to drink my liver and brain to death, why shouldn't I have the right to smoke it to death, as well?

I didn't say anyone was, I said 'legitimize' not 'subsidize'. Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone killing themselves - it is only when what they do impacts on me - as a person (ie the amount of people who support their drug habit through crime, accidents, etc) that I have an issue. You are certainly welcome to put whatever crap you want into your body. Just don't expect me to:

a. pay for any medical treatment - through whatever 'single payer' system we end up with.
b. allow your stupidity to impact on me in any way, means, shape or form.

In return, I will ask for or expect no help from you.

See how that works?

I would be more inclined towards decriminalization IF I was certain we would not eventually have a single payer medical system. Since, that is what we will end up with, forget about legalization - I ain't paying for no one's self inflicted medical problems.

I didn't say anyone was, I said 'legitimize' not 'subsidize'. Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone killing themselves - it is only when what they do impacts on me - as a person (ie the amount of people who support their drug habit through crime, accidents, etc) that I have an issue. You are certainly welcome to put whatever crap you want into your body. Just don't expect me to:

a. pay for any medical treatment - through whatever 'single payer' system we end up with.
b. allow your stupidity to impact on me in any way, means, shape or form.

In return, I will ask for or expect no help from you.

See how that works?

I would be more inclined towards decriminalization IF I was certain we would not eventually have a single payer medical system. Since, that is what we will end up with, forget about legalization - I ain't paying for no one's self inflicted medical problems.
That's not an argument against legalization...that's an argument against socialized medicine.

I've been a stoner on-and-off since 1965.

I have lived in some very marginal places and know some pretty disreputable types.

I have never seen or bought hemp that was "laced" with a damned thing.

Another Urban legend brought to us thanks to the propaganda war on sanity, folks.

Legalize it, then ignore it.

Tax it commercially, if you insist, but give people the right to grow their own without facing tax consequences for doing so

The street value of marijuania will drop like a stone and that is as it should be.

After all it is nothing but an herb.

And when it is legalized, fewer and fewer kids will get involved with it, too. The social cache of using it will be gone from it.

And that WOULD be a good thing, I think.

Kids, being kids, are going to show up in school stoned, regardless of it legality, however.

Andspeaking as somebody who was a classroon teacher, stoned kids don't make good students.

Amusing perhaps, and easiler to deal with certainly, but not easily taught.

You can't have legal MaryJane and an empire too.MJ is a pacifists drug.
You need meth and crack to keep the kids violent and signing up to go kill "evil" people.

Funny. You can give a kid a 50 cal machine gun and send him to go destroy "evil" but the poor, dumb bastard cant "legally" buy a bottle of Scotch.

What a fucking country.

I've been a stoner on-and-off since 1965.

I have lived in some very marginal places and know some pretty disreputable types.

Another Urban legend brought to us thanks to the propaganda war on sanity, folks.

Legalize it, then ignore it.

Tax it commercially, if you insist, but give people the right to grow their own without facing tax consequences for doing so

The street value of marijuania will drop like a stone and that is as it should be.

After all it is nothing but an herb.

And when it is legalized, fewer and fewer kids will get involved with it, too. The social cache of using it will be gone from it.

And that WOULD be a good thing, I think.

Kids, being kids, are going to show up in school stoned, regardless of it legality, however.

Andspeaking as somebody who was a classroon teacher, stoned kids don't make good students.

Amusing perhaps, and easiler to deal with certainly, but not easily taught.

Good post Ed

I've seen shit that was laced with PCP. That seems to only happen when you buy from really sketchy sources, but they'll add it to low-quality marijuana so they can attempt to pass it off as heads and ramp up the price accordingly.

Six pages in, and not a credible link to be found.

Legalization would decrease the price, as you are currently paying people to risk death/imprisonment to get the stuff to you. Odds are, any (reasonable) tax the government levies will be less than the cost of the smuggling.

Not to mention, with legalization, you will reap the benefits of mass-production. I'm sure Phillip Morris could modify their factories to produce uniform marijuana cigarettes easily enough.

I would rather not have Phillip Morris anywhere near my pot. ;)

There is no evidence that M is addictive; if Phillip Morris marketed M they would find a way to 'enhance' their product and make it so.

smoke one marijuana cigarette and you've done the damage of 1 package of cigarettes.. not to mention loss of brain cells.. most democwats suffer from this.. :eusa_angel:

Show me one person who has gotten lung cancer from smoking pot

I can show proof that the use of milk - both mother's and cow's - leads to drug abuse (for the morons this is hyberbole, with a point).
Please post the links CG, but if they are not serious studies please shut up and go away. The OP was for real debate, not the usual bull shit we expect from you.

You can't have legal MaryJane and an empire too.MJ is a pacifists drug.
You need meth and crack to keep the kids violent and signing up to go kill "evil" people.

Funny. You can give a kid a 50 cal machine gun and send him to go destroy "evil" but the poor, dumb bastard cant "legally" buy a bottle of Scotch.

What a fucking country.

I used to be in the Army. Some of the best Soldiers/Marines used to be pot heads in high school "cleaned up" and joined up to serve there country. At the same time the people that never touched the stuff can make great Soldiers... /in my experience drug use has no impact on ones choice to join or how one will perform once in the military

I don't know why Republicans are against Marijuana
My guess is two-fold.

1) Pot is thought of as the hippie liberal drug.

2) Republicans tend to favor big corporations which would lose big if pot and hemp were legal to use and grow.

....same republican/conservative retards who moan about 'unhealthful marijuana' can frequently be found stuffing their gullets with monosodium glutamate..

...stfu, you goddamned big government republicrat drug warrior fools...MIND YOUR STINKING BUSINESS..

..btw, what's with the censorship around here?..i just had a thread on 'Monetary Realism' destroyed.. (a topic MUCH more important than the typical republicrat drivel)

..DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY HONEST, OPEN, POLITICAL FORUMS WHERE THERE ARE NO CONTROL FREAKISH REPUBLICRAT "MODERATORS"/PECKERHEADS?..

the rest of you, have a good day!..

Forum List

Back