Heads up for IP participants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be shocked if this results in any reasonable or rational debate in the I/P forum

At least it will be on topic. What will the Zionuts do with themselves when they can no longer derail threads to cover up the truth?

Probably the same thing the Palinuts will do...throw themselves on the floor, start kicking their legs and screaming.

Hi all,

I just want to alert everyone that as of Dec 1st, we will be moderating the IP somewhat differently, with far less tolerance for off topic derailments and flame fests that frequently derail threads in IP.

Please read: Heads up - new rules in effect for IP as of 12/1/2015 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

That thread is closed for replies, but this one is open for questions or discussion and will be bumped periodically to remind people.

Please also remember - there is nothing wrong with starting threads in the Badlands - that is really a good forum to get into a down and dirty and let out your real flamings. Folks seem to think it's a "punishment" but it's not - it's a good forum, use it when you really want to let it out :)

Part of the problem lies in how flaming and trolling, originally a negative, has become a much more neutral thing, even quasi-respectable. Flamers instead of feeling negatively about it, equate a sense of pride in it, and the site rewards it by tolerating it. Instead of the 3 flame groups being punitive, they're treated with respect. That's just positive-reinforcement for being a dick.

That's why we have different zones with different levels of moderation - people can choose how they want to present their viewpoint by choosing where they wish to participate. And it's why we have a flame zone so those that relish flaming can go all out.

I'll be shocked if this results in any reasonable or rational debate in the I/P forum
At least it will be on topic. What will the Zionuts do with themselves when they can no longer derail threads to cover up the truth?
Plain english - the islamonut truther crowd here needs a "safe space" to drivel from and the moderator is obliging, of course.

Actually, all of us are united in this and are sick and tired of moderator messages being ignored. IP takes up a lot of moderator time.

It may surprise you but there are folks here who DO want to discuss the issues, and those folks come from both sides of the debate. We have plenty of areas for those who just want to flame to go to, there is no reason to allow people to continually derail topics with flame fests or the predictable (insert derailment of choice) derailments.

Hi all,

I just want to alert everyone that as of Dec 1st, we will be moderating the IP somewhat differently, with far less tolerance for off topic derailments and flame fests that frequently derail threads in IP.

Please read: Heads up - new rules in effect for IP as of 12/1/2015 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

That thread is closed for replies, but this one is open for questions or discussion and will be bumped periodically to remind people.

Please also remember - there is nothing wrong with starting threads in the Badlands - that is really a good forum to get into a down and dirty and let out your real flamings. Folks seem to think it's a "punishment" but it's not - it's a good forum, use it when you really want to let it out :)

Part of the problem lies in how flaming and trolling, originally a negative, has become a much more neutral thing, even quasi-respectable. Flamers instead of feeling negatively about it, equate a sense of pride in it, and the site rewards it by tolerating it. Instead of the 3 flame groups being punitive, they're treated with respect. That's just positive-reinforcement for being a dick.

Another problem is that different people have different ideas as to what flaming, trolling and deflection are, so work within the parameters they know. Much of what the American posters write on here would result in a ban in the UK, so it takes time to learn a new way of communicating

That is true, I'll clarify as best I can.
Insults are ok (within the rules - ie, no family attacks etc etc) - we often get reports because someone was insulting or flaming. That in and of itself is allowed in Zone 2.

Where it becomes a problem is if there is not any content or insufficient content related to the topic. For example a paragraph detailing a members anatomical abnormalities, and one phrase of content wouldn't be considered sufficient. The key is having content with flames.

I don't want to be a Nazi on friendly chit chat, as long as it doesn't derail the thread - but flames are not chit chat and they end up turning the thread into an off topic food fight. That is what we want to prevent.

If you're not sure - ask one of us, review Zone 2 rules, or simply rephrase your post.

The harder thing to define is derailments - IP threads almost invariably get derailed along predictable lines: the Mandate, Jewish invadors, Palestinians aren't real, borders, etc even if the topic has nothing to do with it. We would like to prevent the hijacking of topics in this manner.

We have a lot of ways of warning members before infractions or strikes - we post moderator message in red, we pm you, we add a note when posts are delete letting you know why. Pay attention to it and then we never need to get to the harsher measures.

Hi all,

I think people should pay to read my posts and I want the mod team to act as my IRS. Only we'll call it, the BRS (Billo_Really Service).

Each post read shall be a flat $4.50. Any subsequent related rebuttals will be a discounted $1.75 up to the first 10, then $0.50 for each rebuttal after that (no limit).

Do the mods ever discuss whether a particular poster is using the "report button" as a weapon, to go after other posters they don't like in an effort to silence their voice?

When all the mods agree that this is the case, I think a new infraction should be added to the rules and given to that poster.

Do the mods ever discuss whether a particular poster is using the "report button" as a weapon, to go after other posters they don't like in an effort to silence their voice?

When all the mods agree that this is the case, I think a new infraction should be added to the rules and given to that poster.

I'm sure that happens...but if there is no violation, then we don't take any action. Sometimes a member will have a hissy fit of reporting...:dunno:

Hi all,

Tell us please, does that include Four letter words like F..K Israel or does censoring only pertain to certain people??

Hi all,

Tell us please, does that include Four letter words like F..K Israel or does censoring only pertain to certain people??

I think you completely misunderstand what we are doing. Perhaps you might want to re-read the posts.

No poster on either sider of the conflict has used so much profane language as you have. Truly disgusting you have nothing of merit to say on the threads but to call others dirty names. But hey, we still like you for the laughs.

No poster on either sider of the conflict has used so much profane language as you have. Truly disgusting you have nothing of merit to say on the threads but to call others dirty names. But hey, we still like you for the laughs.
Off topic. You got your first strike.

The OP had nothing to do with profanity.

In closing, this is not the place for personal attacks, so I'll give you a "hall pass" and not respond to your rant. Don't ever say I never gave you anything.

Hi all,

Another problem is that different people have different ideas as to what flaming, trolling and deflection are, so work within the parameters they know. Much of what the American posters write on here would result in a ban in the UK, so it takes time to learn a new way of communicating

In a forum like I/P -- moderators hardly look at the flames. (maybe a short giggle) -- We look for TOPICAL CONTENT. And that's what's at the core of this rule. We need to see what the topic is so that we can determine what's ON topic and what's OFF. THEN we need to see that every post moves that particular topic forward.

Under these rules -- it would be extremely dangerous to leap from a current Event to something a 300 yr old Mullah did. The goal is to end the open-ended sprawling brawls in every thread and to have structured topic conversations limited to the OP material.. If in doubt -- don't go more than a few decades from the period of time pertaining to the topic..

Last edited:

I'm sure that happens...but if there is no violation, then we don't take any action. Sometimes a member will have a hissy fit of reporting...:dunno:

I'd also add that if you are frustrated by ANY trolling, derailments you see -- please continue to report them. And DON'T fire back until the mod staff handles it. There MAY BE some occasional "reporting bias". But once we enter the forum, we are looking at everyone's contributions.. And we tend to spend more time here on our own just trying to keep it together.

We don't have a Neg Rep button anymore -- so you're next best option is learn the Zone2 rules and report.

Hi all,

In a forum like I/P -- moderators hardly look at the flames. (maybe a short giggle) -- We look for TOPICAL CONTENT. And that's what's at the core of this rule. We need to see what the topic is so that we can determine what's ON topic and what's OFF. THEN we need to see that every post moves that particular topic forward.

Under these rules -- it would be extremely dangerous to leap from a current Event to something a 300 yr old Mullah did. The goal is to end the open-ended sprawling brawls in every thread and to have structured topic conversations limited to the OP material.. If in doubt -- don't go more than a few decades from the period of time pertaining to the topic..
Under these rules -- it would be extremely dangerous to leap from a current Event to something a 300 yr old Mullah did.​

The current event started a hundred years ago. It merely continues today because nothing has been done about it.

Hi all,

Under these rules -- it would be extremely dangerous to leap from a current Event to something a 300 yr old Mullah did.​

The current event started a hundred years ago. It merely continues today because nothing has been done about it.

What happened 100 years ago has really not a lot to do with discussing the disposition of Yasser Arafats home (for instance) or a story about a recent police action. I've seen HUGE leaps in conversations that make your head spin.

It is not necessary at all to refight and replay all 2000 years of history for EACH and EVERY topic that comes up in the forum. What I hope folks will do --- is discuss the CURRENT topic and then let it die naturally and peacefully and move on to other topics. If you you want to do HISTORICAL angles -- open a thread.

We are really not interested in CONTROLLING the discussions -- just organizing them, making them more readable for folks who might want to drop in, and providing many options to discuss what YOU want to discuss.

Including Coyote's suggestion of taking some of the nastier fighting to the Badlands or Rubber Room when the thread starts. There --- NO ONE in moderation can hear you scream.. :dev3:

Off topic. You got your first strike.

The OP had nothing to do with profanity.

In closing, this is not the place for personal attacks, so I'll give you a "hall pass" and not respond to your rant. Don't ever say I never gave you anything.

Oh c'mon Billo -- sounds like you got yourself another fan.. :eusa_angel:

How far do you go with the "off topic" enforcement?

Let's say a poster goes off topic, but not too far off and it's not a flame. And a 2nd poster decides to respond to the "off topic" comments of the 1st poster. If the 2nd poster specifically addresses the points made by the 1st poster and its obvious his rebuttal is sincere and lucent, do you hand out 1 or 2 infractions?

Or is it, as soon as we see an off topic post, it is "respond at your own risk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back