Headed for a recession

Conservative Ideas Can't Escape Blame for the Financial Crisis

The onset of the recent financial crisis in late 2007 created an intellectual crisis for conservatives, who had been touting for decades the benefits of a hands-off approach to financial market regulation. As the crisis quickly spiraled out of control, it quickly became apparent that the massive credit bubble of the mid-2000s, followed by the inevitable bust that culminated with the financial markets freeze in the fall of 2008, occurred predominantly among those parts of the financial system that were least regulated, or where regulations existed but were largely unenforced.

Predictably, many conservatives sought to blame the bogeymen they always blamed.

Politics Most Blatant | Center for American Progress

Regulators and policymakers enabled this process at virtually every turn. Part of the reason they failed to understand the housing bubble was willful ignorance: they bought into the argument that the market would equilibrate itself. In particular, financial actors and regulatory officials both believed that secondary and tertiary markets could effectively control risk through pricing.

http://www.tobinproject.org/sites/tobinproject.org/files/assets/Fligstein_Catalyst of Disaster_0.pdf

American Progress center...........LOL

Same as I see all over the board with your posts............

Perhaps we should just go to sites and get a hundred articles that back our positions and spam the board with them..............I could easily put a bunch countering your BS right now.

But alas I don't post like you.

Got it, FACTS that they posit, that the bubble was created BECAUSE of the false belief that markets will self regulate, is wrong? lol

Gosh, you mean Vegas East isn't real? Shocking

Yeah, it's oversold, probably in the 20%-30% range today...

Margin debt is higher than the last two crashes. The only thing keeping the markets afloat is the FED............

This isn't a recovery...........It's currency manipulation at it's finest......And the Dems are at the helm now.......

2 parties same result.

Yeah, like the fed reserve, who on behalf of US can print more money, will have the same liquidity problem that the Banksters had after Dubya allowed their ponzi scheme to develop, lol

Grow a brain Bubba

For a fee of 6% as they get loans through the back door at 0%. Kick the money to their share holders and then post minimal profits back into the treasury while laughing at us.

And again, where is your concern as Obama does the same thing..............

Do you goose step much.

Have you seen a group trying to take out the Status Quo..........You know the ones............Who people like you call Anarchists........................

We are attempting to take out the trash............

I don't see your side taking out the trash..................

But you did take out the Blue Dogs because they refused to toe the line.

You mean you are pushing for MORE extreme measures of the failed policies the past 30+ years? Yes, I've noticed it!

LOL

The Career politicians who have done this have been in longer than 30 years in most cases.....................

The Gov't and their sponsors have done all of this.............Your malfunction is keeping the same assholes in office who did this shit, and boot lick the ones doing it now.

Your libertarian crap is nothing more than myths and fairy tales, fails every time it's EVER been tried...

I was talking Reaganomics crap....

Govt policy CREATED the worlds largest middle class via PROGRESSIVE policies.

Do you want a spam match..............We'll both go to sites and spam the living hell out threads on our positions and say LOOK I'M THE SHIT.............

Because that is how you post all the time.

You mean you are pushing for MORE extreme measures of the failed policies the past 30+ years? Yes, I've noticed it!

LOL

The Career politicians who have done this have been in longer than 30 years in most cases.....................

The Gov't and their sponsors have done all of this.............Your malfunction is keeping the same assholes in office who did this shit, and boot lick the ones doing it now.

Your libertarian crap is nothing more than myths and fairy tales, fails every time it's EVER been tried...

BS. You just take credit for policies of other people while trying to tax the crap out of success...................

Under Reagan we recovered and yes he spent money......But he spent it on tangible items like saving the military...........

Your side and Bush just flushed it.

Margin debt is higher than the last two crashes. The only thing keeping the markets afloat is the FED............

This isn't a recovery...........It's currency manipulation at it's finest......And the Dems are at the helm now.......

2 parties same result.

Yeah, like the fed reserve, who on behalf of US can print more money, will have the same liquidity problem that the Banksters had after Dubya allowed their ponzi scheme to develop, lol

Grow a brain Bubba

For a fee of 6% as they get loans through the back door at 0%. Kick the money to their share holders and then post minimal profits back into the treasury while laughing at us.

Do you goose step much.

Don't know the history of the recession/depressions pre fed reserve huh?

On average we had a Dubya 2008 crisis every 3 years somewhere in the US. A GOP great depression every 15 years....

Since 1913? AFTER we created a strong banking regulator section after Harding/Coolidge's 1929 crash? lol

Only when Reagan ignored regulator warning AND Dubya did the same weird right?

LOL

BS. You just take credit for policies of other people while trying to tax the crap out of success...................

Under Reagan we recovered and yes he spent money......But he spent it on tangible items like saving the military...........

You realize Ronnie had a top rate of 50% for 6 years? How could he possibly have 'job creators' then?

You mean Ronnie tripled the debt to do it? Tangible? lol

Conservative Ideas Can't Escape Blame for the Financial Crisis

The onset of the recent financial crisis in late 2007 created an intellectual crisis for conservatives, who had been touting for decades the benefits of a hands-off approach to financial market regulation. As the crisis quickly spiraled out of control, it quickly became apparent that the massive credit bubble of the mid-2000s, followed by the inevitable bust that culminated with the financial markets freeze in the fall of 2008, occurred predominantly among those parts of the financial system that were least regulated, or where regulations existed but were largely unenforced.

Predictably, many conservatives sought to blame the bogeymen they always blamed.

Politics Most Blatant | Center for American Progress

Regulators and policymakers enabled this process at virtually every turn. Part of the reason they failed to understand the housing bubble was willful ignorance: they bought into the argument that the market would equilibrate itself. In particular, financial actors and regulatory officials both believed that secondary and tertiary markets could effectively control risk through pricing.

http://www.tobinproject.org/sites/tobinproject.org/files/assets/Fligstein_Catalyst of Disaster_0.pdf

Perhaps we should just go to sites and get a hundred articles that back our positions and spam the board with them..............I could easily put a bunch countering your BS right now.

Got it, FACTS that they posit, that the bubble was created BECAUSE of the false belief that markets will self regulate, is wrong? lol

Graham being the major slime ball who pushed that chit..........And the others both sides went along with it.

Clinton signed it, but he's innocent to.

Again, you get no respect from me until you throw both sides under the bus.

Do you want a spam match..............We'll both go to sites and spam the living hell out threads on our positions and say LOOK I'M THE SHIT.............

Got it, you don't like verifiable fact based on logic and data. You prefer libertarian garbage that has NEVER worked anywhere it';s EVER been tried!

You realize Ronnie had a top rate of 50% for 6 years? How could he possibly have 'job creators' then?

He decreased and increased them during his time. He killed the Inflation monster and then brought back a recovery that lasted for quite a while. Carter, the peanut head, is Mr. Stagflation himself.............

Reagan later tried to cut back but the Congress refused to enact his cutting measures. Go figure.

One thing I have issues with Reagan on was the Glass Steigal Act. I believe it was needed and still is today. Reagan did push that change. But he did recover our economy and jobs during his time.

Graham being the major slime ball who pushed that chit..........And the others both sides went along with it.

WHAT CRAP ARE YOU PUSHING NOW? You mean that GOP bill Bill signed that had ZERO to do with the WORLD WIDE BANKSTER BUBBLE or Bush ignoring regulators warnings in the US anf gutting 1,800+ agents out of the FBI white collar crime division, fighting all 50 states on regulating 'predatory lenders' and allowing the 5 investment banks to more than triple their leverage in 2004 that flooded the market with cheap money?

We're members at the Ayn Rand Center, covering economics and liberty.

There is zero evidence this change unleashed the financial crisis. If you tally the institutions that ran into severe problems in 2008-09, the list includes Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, AIG, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, none of which would have come under Glass-Steagall’s restrictions. Even President Obama has recently acknowledged that “there is not evidence that having Glass-Steagall in place would somehow change the dynamic.”

As for the FDIC-insured commercial banks that ran into trouble, the record is also clear: what got them into trouble were not activities restricted by Glass-Steagall. Their problems arose from investments in residential mortgages and residential mortgage-backed securities—investments they had always been free to engage in.

lol

Why The Glass-Steagall Myth Persists - Forbes

REGULATOR FAILURE, NOT REGULATION FAILURE!!!

Got it, you don't like verifiable fact based on logic and data. You prefer libertarian garbage that has NEVER worked anywhere it';s EVER been tried!

You don't like verifiable facts, either. :eusa_whistle:
You discount any fact that doesn't match your facts.
It's okay

Funny how that works.

LOL

I'm a Conservative but believe a lot of what the libertarian party is pushing. Especially on the Federal Reserve.

Believe in the Constitution..........never worked............I'll text the Founding Fathers. I think they'll disagree with you.

:cuckoo:

He decreased and increased them during his time. He killed the Inflation monster and then brought back a recovery that lasted for quite a while. Carter, the peanut head, is Mr. Stagflation himself.............

Reagan later tried to cut back but the Congress refused to enact his cutting measures. Go figure.

One thing I have issues with Reagan on was the Glass Steigal Act. I believe it was needed and still is today. Reagan did push that change. But he did recover our economy and jobs during his time.

You mean VOLKER did that? The guy Carter gave him? And Carter inherited Nixon's/Fords mess from price/wage controls and OPECs terror?

You realize Carter had 9+ million PRIVATE sector jobs created in 4 years to Ronnie's 14 million in 8 right? lol

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Grow a brain Bubba

Do you goose step much.

On average we had a Dubya 2008 crisis every 3 years somewhere in the US. A GOP great depression every 15 years....

Since 1913? AFTER we created a strong banking regulator section after Harding/Coolidge's 1929 crash? lol

Why don't you enlighten me............Start with the first Great Depression and why Jackson smacked down the 2nd National Bank of America................

It only took the bankers 3 years to create that one................

Waiting.........................

LOL

I'm a Conservative but believe a lot of what the libertarian party is pushing. Especially on the Federal Reserve.

Believe in the Constitution..........never worked............I'll text the Founding Fathers. I think they'll disagree with you.

You mean those guys who gave US a strong federal Constitution over the weak states rights Articles? The guy who intended Gov;t involvement in the economy? Who warned of inequality would be the downfall of the US? THOSE GUYS?

WHAT CRAP ARE YOU PUSHING NOW? You mean that GOP bill Bill signed that had ZERO to do with the WORLD WIDE BANKSTER BUBBLE or Bush ignoring regulators warnings in the US anf gutting 1,800+ agents out of the FBI white collar crime division, fighting all 50 states on regulating 'predatory lenders' and allowing the 5 investment banks to more than triple their leverage in 2004 that flooded the market with cheap money?

We're members at the Ayn Rand Center, covering economics and liberty.

There is zero evidence this change unleashed the financial crisis. If you tally the institutions that ran into severe problems in 2008-09, the list includes Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, AIG, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, none of which would have come under Glass-Steagall’s restrictions. Even President Obama has recently acknowledged that “there is not evidence that having Glass-Steagall in place would somehow change the dynamic.”

As for the FDIC-insured commercial banks that ran into trouble, the record is also clear: what got them into trouble were not activities restricted by Glass-Steagall. Their problems arose from investments in residential mortgages and residential mortgage-backed securities—investments they had always been free to engage in.

lol

Why The Glass-Steagall Myth Persists - Forbes

REGULATOR FAILURE, NOT REGULATION FAILURE!!!

Your a dumb ass, which is the fitting symbol of the Dem party.

The Too Big to Fail became self regulated. The regulators couldn't do a damn thing, and that was what I was talking about.

Clinton signed that. Graham pushed it. And both sides voted for it.............but if they were Dems..............

It's.............................

We've BEEN ROBBED...............THEY LIED TO US...............

Well if they are too stupid to judge issues for themselves then why do you keep electing them...........

You hire those that make excuses for policy much.......................

You mean VOLKER did that? The guy Carter gave him? And Carter inherited Nixon's/Fords mess from price/wage controls and OPECs terror?

You realize Carter had 9+ million PRIVATE sector jobs created in 4 years to Ronnie's 14 million in 8 right? lol

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Volker worked for Reagan...............Reagan accepted Volder's judgement. So in a way, yes Volker turned it around......................

Had that been Obama and Volker you'd be saying NO OBAMA DID IT............Wouldn't you ........party hack that you are.

Do you goose step much.

Why don't you enlighten me............Start with the first Great Depression and why Jackson smacked down the 2nd National Bank of America................

It only took the bankers 3 years to create that one................

Waiting.........................

Banking panics in the United States

1796–97
1890 (Baring crisis)
1910-11
2007-08

Category:Economic disasters in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'The Federal Reserve System is the third central banking system in the United States' history. The First Bank of the United States (1791–1811) and the Second Bank of the United States (1817–1836) each had 20-year charters, and both issued currency, made commercial loans, accepted deposits, purchased securities, had multiple branches, and acted as fiscal agents for the U.S. Treasury.In both banks the Federal Government was required to purchase 20% of the bank's capital stock and appoint 20% of the directors. Thus majority control was in the hands of private investors who purchased the rest of the stock'

WOW YOU MEAN PRIVATE INVESTORS HOSED US

LOL

You mean those guys who gave US a strong federal Constitution over the weak states rights Articles? The guy who intended Gov;t involvement in the economy? Who warned of inequality would be the downfall of the US? THOSE GUYS?

You mean the guys who enumerated the powers of the Gov't.
You mean those guys who advocated State Rights..........

You mean those guys who created a Constitution on which many Tea Party people and Libertarian types want to go back to.....................

You cherry pick much.................

Forum List

Back