HBO Max: The Last Of Us

Not biologically. This isn't a moral judgement, it's a biological fact.

There is a difference between tolerating homosexuality and saying it is equal to heterosexuality. It simply isn't for sexual organisms.
Side effects, not purposes.
The statement was, "there is more to sex than just procreation". I didn't see where anyone said that primary purpose of sex was anything other than procreation. However, that does not mean that the only acceptable use is sex is procreation. If everyone had sex strictly for procreation, we would probable have trillions of people trying survive.

The statement was, "there is more to sex than just procreation". I didn't see where anyone said that primary purpose of sex was anything other than procreation. However, that does not mean that the only acceptable use is sex is procreation. If everyone had sex strictly for procreation, we would probable have trillions of people trying survive.

I was saying biologically there isn't. The rest of the package is social constructs and our intellects allowing us to figure out other things to do with the equipment at hand.

The 3rd episode is a tender love story between apocalypse survivors Bill and Frank. Had it been about about Bill and Mary we would not be discussing it. I personally think it's the best written and acted episode so far, particular the ending which would normally seem tragic. However the writers avoided that by having the couple leave the world just like they spent almost two decades together, well aware that their existence was only made meaningful by each other's company.

Last of US is and an episodic adventure series in which each episode tells a story featuring some new characters and new situations. The writers shocked the audience with the love of a gay couple, a young black boy who kills his brother who has become infected and then himself, a communist commune, etc.... Shock value is used in most all the episodes. The writers avoid the mistake of previous zombie tales by keeping the infected in the background and focusing on characters that are different in almost each episode.

In spite of being formalist and following a path that has been tread many times, Last of US manages to keep their audience with good ideas, good writing, and more than adequate acting.
They make a similar mistake as the later Walking Dead seasons… it is always who is the next human antagonist (who is similar to the last one) and the zombies are an afterthought.

We are 6 episodes into this, and it is a pretty good series.
Is it Walking Dead, no it is not. (first 5 seasons before it went to sh*t)
Is it Breaking Bad? Game of Thrones? Boardwalk Empire? No, no and no.
But it is decent. They could have done without throwing in homosexuality, as 4 of the main 6 characters in the first episodes are gay. Uh... yeah... that is realistic :rolleyes:

We'll see if it holds up.

We are 6 episodes into this, and it is a pretty good series.
Is it Walking Dead, no it is not. (first 5 seasons before it went to sh*t)
Is it Breaking Bad? Game of Thrones? Boardwalk Empire? No, no and no.
But it is decent. They could have done without throwing in homosexuality, as 4 of the main 6 characters in the first episodes are gay. Uh... yeah... that is realistic :rolleyes:

We'll see if it holds up.
That was kinda my take on it. It was amazing how closely it followed the game.

I gave up video games when my kids were born. I still play the occasional game on my phone, but I have not touched a PlayStation of Xbox or anything like that in a very long time.

My kids have all played The Last Of Us on the family PlayStation. So they were very excited about the TV series based on the game coming to HBO Max.

We've all been watching it together. So far, only three episodes have been released. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max does not release an entire season in one gulp. They release one episode a week. I told my kids, "That is so 20th century!"

Anyway, according to the kids, the first episode starts out with a frame-by-frame recreation of the video game. They are very pleased with the show.

All my kids have told me I am just like the Joel character played by Pedro Pascal.

And then...and then...in episode three they went way off the video game script.

THEY MADE RON SWANSON GAY!!! :disbelief:

WTF!?!

His character is not gay in the video game. So strike another blow for wokism.

Since that episode last week, I have noticed my Netflix queue is filling up with gay shows. My kids are having a run at me. :(
I watched the first season and found it fairly interesting. Episode 3 is by far the best. 40 minutes of the episode is about Frank and Bill whose loneliness culminates in a romance. You might also expect too, in this adaptation of a videogame, that the love story would be blandly told: such adaptations do not have a history of bringing the nuances of human relationships to life. And yet, here is something well-acted and solidly-told. Finally, most importantly, it is a romance between two men, Bill (Nick Offerman) and Frank (Murray Bartlett). The fact that it is a romance between two men is not an issue as it is a tale of two very lonely people caught in a situation that will not likely end well for either. Had the creator of the series chose to use a man and woman it would have lost most of the drama impact because one would expect the romance. In short, the use of two men dramatizes the extreme loneliness and hopelessness that drove them together.

I watched the first season and found it fairly interesting. Episode 3 is by far the best. 40 minutes of the episode is about Frank and Bill whose loneliness culminates in a romance. You might also expect too, in this adaptation of a videogame, that the love story would be blandly told: such adaptations do not have a history of bringing the nuances of human relationships to life. And yet, here is something well-acted and solidly-told. Finally, most importantly, it is a romance between two men, Bill (Nick Offerman) and Frank (Murray Bartlett). The fact that it is a romance between two men is not an issue as it is a tale of two very lonely people caught in a situation that will not likely end well for either. Had the creator of the series chose to use a man and woman it would have lost most of the drama impact because one would expect the romance. In short, the use of two men dramatizes the extreme loneliness and hopelessness that drove them together.
Uh... no.
They were both homosexual before the apocalypse.
They show that very clearly.
It is true that Bill's loneliness caused him to allow Frank to stay, but so did his attraction to him. That was evident the first instant he looked at him in the hole. The writers made that obvious.
And literally within minutes they made the attraction known for those who need more obvious signs.
It was a good episode because Offerman is a damn fine actor, and the story was well told. The fact they were two men and not a woman-man was irrelevant, and certainly not important.

Uh... no.
They were both homosexual before the apocalypse.
They show that very clearly.
It is true that Bill's loneliness caused him to allow Frank to stay, but so did his attraction to him. That was evident the first instant he looked at him in the hole. The writers made that obvious.
And literally within minutes they made the attraction known for those who need more obvious signs.
It was a good episode because Offerman is a damn fine actor, and the story was well told. The fact they were two men and not a woman-man was irrelevant, and certainly not important.
If you think the episode was just about homosexuality, you are missing the whole point.

The point of the episode was that a life worth living is one we share with others. Bill was a rugged survival who was ready to kill anyone who might be a potential threat. Frank is a kindly person bearing no ill will toward anyone. Frank’s love for beauty and human contact eventually rubs off on Bill resulting in one to tenderest romantic scenes between two men every seen on TV without showing any real sex. Yes, Bill could have been Barbara but that would have been a very different well worn story, kindly man bearing no ill will toward anyone wins over a defensive antagonist women ending in a romance. This plot has probably been used a thousand time.

Last edited:
If you think the episode was just about homosexuality, you are missing the whole point.

The point of the episode was that a life worth living is one we share with others. Bill was a rugged survival who was ready to kill anyone who might be a potential threat. Frank is a kindly person bearing no ill will toward anyone. Frank’s love for beauty and human contact eventually rubs off on Bill resulting in one to tenderest romantic scenes between two men every seen on TV. Yes, Bill could have been Barbara but that would have been a very different well worn story, kindly man bearing no ill will toward anyone wins over a defensive antagonist women ending in a romance. This plot has probably been used a thousand time.
What??
You said it being about homosexuality was important, not me.
I said the opposite... literally said the fact they were gay was irrelevant.

Never heard of the game or the TV show and nothing in this thread has told me to waste my time watching it, so I won’t, gay or straight isn’t an issue.

Forum List

Back