HBO Max: The Last Of Us

I gave up video games when my kids were born. I still play the occasional game on my phone, but I have not touched a PlayStation of Xbox or anything like that in a very long time.

My kids have all played The Last Of Us on the family PlayStation. So they were very excited about the TV series based on the game coming to HBO Max.

We've all been watching it together. So far, only three episodes have been released. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max does not release an entire season in one gulp. They release one episode a week. I told my kids, "That is so 20th century!"

Anyway, according to the kids, the first episode starts out with a frame-by-frame recreation of the video game. They are very pleased with the show.

All my kids have told me I am just like the Joel character played by Pedro Pascal.

And then...and then...in episode three they went way off the video game script.

THEY MADE RON SWANSON GAY!!! :disbelief:

WTF!?!

His character is not gay in the video game. So strike another blow for wokism.

Since that episode last week, I have noticed my Netflix queue is filling up with gay shows. My kids are having a run at me. :(

I will start by saying I have not played the game. All my gaming is via the PC so it was not an option for me

With that said...

The wife and I have enjoyed the show more than any in recent memory. It is so well made.

Neither of us are homophobic so episode 3 did not bother us. It did make the wife cry though, and it was very touching.

We are all caught up except for last nights episode which we will watch Wednesday.

I will start by saying I have not played the game. All my gaming is via the PC so it was not an option for me

With that said...

The wife and I have enjoyed the show more than any in recent memory. It is so well made.

Neither of us are homophobic so episode 3 did not bother us. It did make the wife cry though, and it was very touching.

We are all caught up except for last nights episode which we will watch Wednesday.

So a straight guy repulsed by two men kissing and doing it is automatically homophobic?

You do not find two women kissing to be fucking gross, yet two men doing so is due to your homophobia.

No, it's because that's how things work.

Double the boobs, double the va jay jay, what's not to like?

Two beards on the other hand....ick.

Do you have a better explanation?
Straight men having a repulsion of seeing men kiss etc. is scientifically known condition that only males have.
The brain releases a digestive enzyme called "alpha-amylase". It's purpose is to create physiological stress to make a person avoid whatever it is they are seeing/smelling/tasting.
It is not homophobic you rube. It is a physical/psychological response that is proven in the lab.

Really Fake news? Golfing Gator
My beliefs don't require me to suspend reality in order for me to believe it.
Not fake news at all...

It is a natural survival response.

I am so glad I don't walk around mentally blind folded

They are programmed in responses. There is no natural reason to be freaked out by maggots, had you been born in a different time or place you might be using them as a food source.

It is the same response Americans have at the idea of eating a dog while many countries it is normal.

All you did was prove me correct.

Getting back to the series, the love story between the two gay guys was pretty well done although it's not my thing. Anyway, it lasted only one episode and the journey continues. I think the series is pretty good. It's suspenseful, humorous, and adventurous in all right places. The only negative is the story of a group making their way across the country during an apocalypse has been done a number times. I think it does justice to the video game and definitionally is worth watching if you like this genre.

Last edited:
They are programmed in responses. There is no natural reason to be freaked out by maggots, had you been born in a different time or place you might be using them as a food source.

It is the same response Americans have at the idea of eating a dog while many countries it is normal.

All you did was prove me correct.
No
The opposite.
But not that I thought for one second you would stop pretending

No
The opposite.
But not that I thought for one second you would stop pretending

The only one pretending is you, trying to cover for your hate.

Would you be any less upset at seeing a dog being prepared to be eaten for dinner than seeing a pile of maggots?

Both are programed into you as bad things. Neither are bad as far as nature is concerned.

The only one pretending is you, trying to cover for your hate.

Would you be any less upset at seeing a dog being prepared to be eaten for dinner than seeing a pile of maggots?

Both are programed into you as bad things. Neither are bad as far as nature is concerned.
Ok... if that makes you feel whole

The Last Of Us seemed entirely too woke.
I agree! First episode was great. I loved it. After that, it is not horrible, but I see the wokeness slowly destroying it:
(1) They get to the successful colony and claim it survived because of communism and praise communism

(2) The government holding together and protecting the people in this dangerous world are the bad guys and the SJW who destroy food, murder people, divert valuable resources to fight them and will lead to everyone dying are the good guys and not the terrorist they are.

(3) Now I have no problem with gay couples on screen, but when they only toss gay couples at you it falls into wokeness.

And for a zombie movie they don’t show too many zombies.

I am a few weeks behind, since the show doesn’t really excite me that much.

I agree! First episode was great. I loved it. After that, it is not horrible, but I see the wokeness slowly destroying it:
(1) They get to the successful colony and claim it survived because of communism and praise communism

(2) The government holding together and protecting the people in this dangerous world are the bad guys and the SJW who destroy food, murder people, divert valuable resources to fight them and will lead to everyone dying are the good guys and not the terrorist they are.

(3) Now I have no problem with gay couples on screen, but when they only toss gay couples at you it falls into wokeness.

And for a zombie movie they don’t show too many zombies.

I am a few weeks behind, since the show doesn’t really excite me that much.
The 3rd episode is a tender love story between apocalypse survivors Bill and Frank. Had it been about about Bill and Mary we would not be discussing it. I personally think it's the best written and acted episode so far, particular the ending which would normally seem tragic. However the writers avoided that by having the couple leave the world just like they spent almost two decades together, well aware that their existence was only made meaningful by each other's company.

Last of US is and an episodic adventure series in which each episode tells a story featuring some new characters and new situations. The writers shocked the audience with the love of a gay couple, a young black boy who kills his brother who has become infected and then himself, a communist commune, etc.... Shock value is used in most all the episodes. The writers avoid the mistake of previous zombie tales by keeping the infected in the background and focusing on characters that are different in almost each episode.

In spite of being formalist and following a path that has been tread many times, Last of US manages to keep their audience with good ideas, good writing, and more than adequate acting.

Last edited:
The formula use in this series is characters on the move to reach a destination across the country, the world or the universe. Most often they never quite arrive there. Each week there is a new story with a different adventure with new characters interacting with old ones. The first show I remember that followed this formula was Wagon Train in the 50's followed by Rawhide, then Star Trek and all it's it's spinoffs over 5 decades.

Last edited:
The 3rd episode is a tender love story between apocalypse survivors Bill and Frank. Had it been about about Bill and Mary we would not be discussing it. I personally think it's the best written and acted episode so far, particular the ending which would normally seem tragic. However the writers avoided that by having the couple leave the world just like they spent almost two decades together, well aware that their existence was only made meaningful by each other's company.

Last of US is and an episodic adventure series in which each episode tells a story featuring some new characters and new situations. The writers shocked the audience with the love of a gay couple, a young black boy who kills his brother who has become infected and then himself, a communist commune, etc.... Shock value is used in most all the episodes. The writers avoid the mistake of previous zombie tales by keeping the infected in the background and focusing on characters that are different in almost each episode.

In spite of being formalist and following a path that has been tread many times, Last of US manages to keep their audience with good ideas, good writing, and more than adequate acting.
Indeed. What I found shocking wasn't the "gayness", but the surprise of an incredibly well done love story thrown into zombie apocalypse series.

So the latest Hollywood woke bullshit episode had a White Christian group as the bad guys that eat people. The head White Christian Male tried to rape the poor lead teen chick. Who would have thunk it?

This is just after an episode that had the teen chick kissing another chick and it so happen the other chick was a Negro.

Wokeness gone wild.

Indeed. What I found shocking wasn't the "gayness", but the surprise of an incredibly well done love story thrown into zombie apocalypse series.
I thought the episode where black kid shot his kid brother because he was infected and then turned the gun on himself was very effective.

Forum List

Back