Have you noticed....

I didn't create this thread with the aim that it morph into a public vs. private school debate, yet that appears to be the nature of what people want to talk about. I don't know why for the behavior I described is that of parents in response to discovering the private school to which they sent their child isn't as great as it was purported to have been or as they perceived/expected it to be. Additionally, the questions I've asked in the OP have to do with the timing of parents' griping about the schools their kids attend; the temporal theme is found in all three paragraphs of the OP. How does one miss that? ....Yet people would become temerariously pissed at me were I to ridicule their reading comprehension skills....

The central theme is that people "bitch and moan" about private schools after the kid graduates, whereas they do so about public schools before their kids attend, and presumably after their kids graduate. Some people likely deride public schools when they don't even have kids or haven't recently had any who were in a K-12 school.

I didn't introduce the matter of whether or to what extent public schools are better or worse than private schools. I'm sure that topic has been amply covered in the Education sub-forum of USMB. It doesn't even make sense to me that is the line of discussion onto which people have lurched given what I did write in the OP, and yet here we are with you, a moderator, having failed to adhere to the theme/topic introduced in the thread's OP. (Expand the quote below to see what is the theme of the OP; I've emboldened the sentences that contain it.)

It would really do you some good to do your own research. Maybe then you'd know what you are talking about, or you'd at least be able to express what you mean (as compared to what you wrote) in a way that aligns with reality. Read on to see why I say that.

Ummmmm, that's because public schools basically suck while private schools don't. But that is a simple fact. Why do you think politicians pay lip service to public schools but send their kids to private schools? I'm paying for my girl to go to private school. Any sane person would.

On what are you basing that claim? Surely it's not a claim resulting from your analysis of the public and private schools in Nevada? Perhaps you're sending her to a school outside of Nevada?
Based on the information found at the two links above, NV has several public schools that are at least as good, if not better, than the private schools there. (Your ID shows you as being in NV, so that's why I focused on NV. Is the location indicator on your ID a mistake?) Perhaps you have some other metric/dimension that gives credence to your claim?

Have you made the claim above (in whole or part) to interject a deflection into the discussion? It seems so given the theme of the central question the OP asks is why people don't complain about private schools before it's too late and there's ample indication that the nation has lots of very good public schools. Moreover, it appears that most students at the nation's top universities graduated from public schools:
Note:
Interestingly, I could not find the same metrics for the four public colleges for which I sought it -- UC Berkeley, UVA, Univ. of Michigan Ann Arbor, and Univ. of Connecticut. Do state colleges/universities not track that data point? I don't know. I would think they must....Maybe it's "out there" and I didn't dig deeply enough to find it?
The claim that "public schools suck" seems highly inaccurate given that roughly a 2/3rds majority of students at four of the nation's top universities/colleges graduated from public high schools.

Additional info that suggests public schools don't "suck." I realize some are good and some are not, but that's so too of private schools. Merely being a private school doesn't make a school be good.

Why do you think politicians pay lip service to public schools but send their kids to private schools?

You would need to ask the politicians who you think have paid "lip service" to public schools. I can't speak for them.

Of course there are politicians who send their kids to private school and politicians who send their kids to public school. Merely claiming, as you did, that politicians "send their kids to private schools" carries about the same intellectual and discursive value as saying "mammals swim."

I can find information about where schools federal level politicians send their kids to school. I cannot find similar information about state and local level politicians. With the exception of Jimmy Carter (He later sent her to Holton Arms), I believe modern Presidents have sent their kids to private schools, but were talking about a very small number of people when we consider the matter of where Presidents send their kids. Among members of the U.S. Congress, 41% of representatives in the House and 46% of U.S. senators send or have sent at least one of their children to a private institution.

Yes, a high proportion of elected officials do send their kids to private schools. In D.C. I sort of get why they do, at least for high school. D.C. public high schools are average at best, even the one in the "posh" part of town. But that's not necessarily the case at all public schools. Indeed, there are several nationally ranked ones in the D.C. 'burbs and there's not much reason to send a child to private school if going to one of those schools is also an option.

For public officials, as with other celebrities and their kids, there is also the security and privacy factors that are important. People don't want their kids at a school where the press and fans/na'er do wells have easy access/visibility to their kids. Look at the Sidwell campus vs. the St. Albans campus, which is right next door. They are equally good schools, but St. Albans sits in a sort of bowl-shaped parcel of land poised on a slope just below the highest crest in the city that allows people from the street fairly unfettered visibility to the kids when they are outside. You can sort of get a sense of that from this photo if you look at the top left corner. (You can sort of tell from the Google map too.)

view.image

In contrast, Sidwell, sits on top of the very same crest. From the street, all one sees is the front lawn.

SIDWELL_10011350590587.jpg

This, however, is the actual campus. As you can tell, the buildings themselves restrict visibility, to say nothing of their being nestled behind the landscape so even they aren't all that visible.

arts_001.jpg

1dffa27963ca1d2347b88b3c60ed2fd6.jpg

One can from the back of one side of the campus -- where the sports fields are -- see onto the fields, but the kids aren't on that part of the campus except for sports events and practices. (Click your way around the block to see what you passers by see. Not much is what folks see.) One also cannot see into the classrooms.

In light of the security considerations that public figures and celebs face that the rest of us do not have to deal with in quite the same way, private schools seem like they offer a higher degree of safety. Their campuses are more secluded usually and the smaller size of the student body also helps with that. Also, being private, there is far less cause for unknowns to even show up at or linger around the facility. I know those seem like "small things," but in the scheme of providing a secure environment for the kids of the rich and powerful, it matters.

Among people in general, when looking at public or private schools, the following factors come into play when parents choose one or the other:
  • Academic reputation and college preparation -- for choosing for my kids, this was important
  • School size and Class size -- this was most important
  • Safety reputation -- this is always important, but I wasn't concerned about their safety in the way a celeb/politician would be
  • Special programs -- this turned out to be important, but when I was deciding, it didn't play a big role
  • Costs
  • Religious and Moral instruction -- ethics, yes; religiously based morality, no
  • Location -- this held some appeal, but wasn't a driving factor
  • Ideology -- this was important
Ultimately, the decision to send a child to private school is one of personal choice for huge quantities of people (in large part because the majority of the U.S. population lives in urban/suburban areas more so than existential need, and invariably there're good public schools in every "metro" area. With magnet and charter schools making it possible for high achieving students to attend a good school even if the one serving their neighborhood isn't, having to send one's child to a private school isn't generally a necessity, though I realize there are exceptions. Exceptions, however, are just that, exceptions.

My own circumstance growing up is one such exception. I was sent to private schools because "it's where one went" as far as both sides of my family was concerned, and my parents are very WASPy, so there was that too. My family also lived in a city that didn't have high quality public schools.

People are, of course, free to send their kids to public or private schools for myriad reasons. Some of those reasons are supported by objective facts that give credence to them as reasons. Others, not so much. I sent my kids to private schools, but I could have, for vastly less money than the cost of 12 years of tuition for four kids, simply moved across the river (or into MD) and had a perfectly fine public school for my kids to attend. My kids might have gone to one of these schools had we bought a house in the corresponding neighborhoods instead of in D.C., but we didn't. We bought in D.C. more or less "across the street" from the school my kids attended until I started having to be on the road most of year.

I sent my kids to boarding school because I traveled a lot for work and was rarely able to be at home. But for my traveling, I would have left them at that school for all of their K-12 years. (I'd have been fine sending them to the boarding school in my neighborhood, but they didn't have a boarding spot available when I needed them to have four. They could have gone as day-hops.) I also wanted my kids to be in a rural setting, but that was not a first line priority. Lastly, I thought it best that they grew up among kids who are like them -- smart, motivated, curious, outgoing/assertive, and fortunate -- and where those qualities are encouraged and built upon.

I'm paying for my girl to go to private school. Any sane person would.

[Some of the comments in the preceding "section" pertain to the emboldened comment above.]

I don't see that as being a legitimate claim unless (1) there is a special circumstance(s) that augurs for doing so, or (2) you've opted to send your daughter to a "pipeline" (TSAO and very similar) school. Those schools send an inordinate quantity of their grads to elite colleges and universities. There are a variety of reasons for that. Certainly one of them is the child's scholastic performance. Another reason has to do with parents of those children being "legacies" not only at the high schools from which their kids graduated -- I'm a "legacy" alum, as are my sons, from my own high school -- at the colleges and universities to which they send their kids. Then, of course, there's the matter of the kids who went to those schools often enough being from families wealthy enough to, if need be and the parents are willing to do so, "donate" their kid's way into the school (not a lot of kids for whom that happens, but it happens).

Public Schools vary greatly in quality. The dilapidated state of too many urban and rural schools in the United States is a well-chronicled tragedy, and a large number of suburban public high schools offer many of the amenities of a private school as well as a lineup of strongly credentialed, dedicated instructors. Opportunities abound for the motivated and talented attending public schools. AP courses are typically plentiful and public schools actually offer more opportunities for International Baccalaureate (IB) and dual-enrollment courses. (You'll have to do your own "clicking" to see the details and course offerings pertaining to individual schools from that list.)

One may also gain an edge by being a big fish in a small pond, or if one prefers a less overused analogy, a gargantuan begonia in a miniature greenhouse. Moreover, it seems that attending a school surrounded by fellow academic superstars actually has a negative effect on your admissions chances at an elite college. (See also: Getting Into an Elite College Is Easier Than You Think) In other words, a student with a 1300 SAT at a public high school where the average SAT is 1000 will have an admissions edge over an equal student at a private school where 1300 is the average SAT score.

Holistically looking at the matter, literally millions of parents have lots of "sane" reasons for not sending their kids to private school.

Before you try and lecture someone about "doing their research" maybe you should do your own. My wife is an educator at the university level, THEY send their kids to private schools. The public schools in Nevada are a catastrophe. Billions of dollars have been spent, and the outcomes are WORSE.

Nevada falls to last on education ranking

After years of floundering near the bottom in a widely watched report card for state education systems, Nevada has sunk to dead last.

For the first time, the Silver State fell behind all other states and Washington, D.C., in the annual Quality Counts report, which assigns overall scores to states based on student performance, school financing and other qualities of K-12 public schools.

“It’s honestly disheartening,” said Nevada interim Superintendent Steve Canavero on Wednesday before the results were publicly released.

The report also looks beyond schools, considering factors like parents’ education levels, income and language abilities to determine children’s “chance for success” in each state. There, Nevada has ranked lowest for seven years, its children less likely to succeed than those in any other state, according to the report.

[Let me note that the article you've cited does not link to the original data it references. That's common with "news" articles written with an "axe to grind." I'm not disputing that Ed. Week didn't find as the article claims; I'm saying there's clearly more going on than the article shares.]

Okay. You live there. Please reconcile the dichotomy between the data found here -- 2017 Best Public High Schools in Nevada -- that indicates there are good public schools in NV, and the considerably less glowing information reported in the article you linked.

I looked at a Reno school and a Vegas school to see what the schools report about their student performance and there's no way you can legitimately say they are not good school.
  • Davidson (Reno) -- The school shows SAT scores in the 710+ range and ACT above 33. That's not indicative of a school's being bad. If kids are going there, there is clearly ample high quality educational instruction going on. Kids don't earn scores like that if they aren't being taught well.
  • ATECH (Vegas) -- I looked quickly through this school's Accountability Report. ATECH is a school that serves a large number of students from poor backgrounds. Over 60% of the students enrolled there are in at least one AP class, and 83% of them passed the AP exam.
  • West Career & Technical Academy (Vegas) -- This schools Accountability Report indicates ~99% its students perform at or above the expected levels for reading, writing and mathematics. There again, I'm just not seeing data that corresponds to the school "sucking."
I realize that's just three schools, but still, looking at those schools's metrics, I have to say that it calls into question the credibility of that article you linked. Even content in the article itself suggests there may be "something" suspicious about how the rating organization arrived at its conclusion about NV schools. For instance, the article notes, "The report judged Nevada on its 60 percent graduation rate of 2012. The state’s graduation rate passed 70 percent in 2015, which wasn’t taken into account." And here we are in 2017.

If one considers a different source for state high school rankings, one find that whereas Education Week (the surveyor on whose data your article is based) placed Massachusetts at the top of its list, Mass. is ranked fifth and NV is rated 20th, far from dead last. That survey is limited to high schools, and the content of my post focused on high schools as well. Yet another survey rates NV at 44th.
  • Perhaps the reconciling difference between your article's (Ed. Week's) assertion and what one sees looking at individual high schools can be found in the performance of primary and middle school students?
  • Perhaps there's a huge gap between the performance of students at the high schools I looked at and the remainder of NV high schools?
I don't live there as you do, but when I look at the data, it doesn't jibe with your claim that public schools "suck." I acceded in my earlier post to the fact that the quality of education in public schools can be hit or miss, but the same can be true of private schools. You live there, so that's why I'm asking you to reconcile -- not with hearsay, but with something that holds up under close scrutiny -- for us the schism in claimed and observed information. You made the "sucks" claim. I'm asking you to defend it with some rigor.

Nevada's schools have been well known to be near the bottom of ALL scales used to measure performance. Just look up anything by Sheila Leslie (former congress critter) and you will find her whining for money ALL the time. Money doesn't fix bad schools. Having measurable goals, and the ability to get rid of teachers who fail to measure up, are what makes schools better.

Like I stated, my wife is a professor, we KNOW what we are dealing with.

Then you should have no trouble calling her and asking her for some credible content and metrics that you can either link to or upload.

"Been well known" by whom? I didn't until this conversation give a moment's thought to Nevada schools. Why are you even "on about" NV schools? Your remark wasn't limited to NV schools; you made the broad assertion that "public schools suck," not that "NV public schools suck." I'm the one who introduced NV and I did so only because you mentioned your daughter's schooling.

More importantly than any of that, the original claim I made has nothing to do with NV schools. It doesn't have to do with any state's schools or school system. It has to do with parents behavior. I made that clear to you earlier and you still haven't actually written one word that directly addresses the actual thread topic. Why do you not just address the thread topic?

At this point, I really want to know. To whom do I report dissatisfaction resulting from a moderator's complete refusal to respond, even in your very first post in the thread, refusal to address the topic introduced in the thread's OP, which, BTW, you happened to quote in your first thread post? There must be someone to whom we members can report our grievances.

Do parents have an effect? Yes. Sometimes. But here's the deal. Teachers spend more waking time with kids than the parents do. Thus, to claim that it is all the parents fault is BS.

Really? I see my students for less than one hour 5 days a week. The parents have them at least 6 hours a day 5 days a week and all day on the weekends holidays, and breaks.

You claim is patently false.

Before you try and lecture someone about "doing their research" maybe you should do your own. My wife is an educator at the university level, THEY send their kids to private schools. The public schools in Nevada are a catastrophe. Billions of dollars have been spent, and the outcomes are WORSE.

After years of floundering near the bottom in a widely watched report card for state education systems, Nevada has sunk to dead last.

For the first time, the Silver State fell behind all other states and Washington, D.C., in the annual Quality Counts report, which assigns overall scores to states based on student performance, school financing and other qualities of K-12 public schools.

“It’s honestly disheartening,” said Nevada interim Superintendent Steve Canavero on Wednesday before the results were publicly released.

The report also looks beyond schools, considering factors like parents’ education levels, income and language abilities to determine children’s “chance for success” in each state. There, Nevada has ranked lowest for seven years, its children less likely to succeed than those in any other state, according to the report.

[Let me note that the article you've cited does not link to the original data it references. That's common with "news" articles written with an "axe to grind." I'm not disputing that Ed. Week didn't find as the article claims; I'm saying there's clearly more going on than the article shares.]

Okay. You live there. Please reconcile the dichotomy between the data found here -- 2017 Best Public High Schools in Nevada -- that indicates there are good public schools in NV, and the considerably less glowing information reported in the article you linked.

I looked at a Reno school and a Vegas school to see what the schools report about their student performance and there's no way you can legitimately say they are not good school.
  • Davidson (Reno) -- The school shows SAT scores in the 710+ range and ACT above 33. That's not indicative of a school's being bad. If kids are going there, there is clearly ample high quality educational instruction going on. Kids don't earn scores like that if they aren't being taught well.
  • ATECH (Vegas) -- I looked quickly through this school's Accountability Report. ATECH is a school that serves a large number of students from poor backgrounds. Over 60% of the students enrolled there are in at least one AP class, and 83% of them passed the AP exam.
  • West Career & Technical Academy (Vegas) -- This schools Accountability Report indicates ~99% its students perform at or above the expected levels for reading, writing and mathematics. There again, I'm just not seeing data that corresponds to the school "sucking."
I realize that's just three schools, but still, looking at those schools's metrics, I have to say that it calls into question the credibility of that article you linked. Even content in the article itself suggests there may be "something" suspicious about how the rating organization arrived at its conclusion about NV schools. For instance, the article notes, "The report judged Nevada on its 60 percent graduation rate of 2012. The state’s graduation rate passed 70 percent in 2015, which wasn’t taken into account." And here we are in 2017.

If one considers a different source for state high school rankings, one find that whereas Education Week (the surveyor on whose data your article is based) placed Massachusetts at the top of its list, Mass. is ranked fifth and NV is rated 20th, far from dead last. That survey is limited to high schools, and the content of my post focused on high schools as well. Yet another survey rates NV at 44th.
  • Perhaps the reconciling difference between your article's (Ed. Week's) assertion and what one sees looking at individual high schools can be found in the performance of primary and middle school students?
  • Perhaps there's a huge gap between the performance of students at the high schools I looked at and the remainder of NV high schools?
I don't live there as you do, but when I look at the data, it doesn't jibe with your claim that public schools "suck." I acceded in my earlier post to the fact that the quality of education in public schools can be hit or miss, but the same can be true of private schools. You live there, so that's why I'm asking you to reconcile -- not with hearsay, but with something that holds up under close scrutiny -- for us the schism in claimed and observed information. You made the "sucks" claim. I'm asking you to defend it with some rigor.

Nevada's schools have been well known to be near the bottom of ALL scales used to measure performance. Just look up anything by Sheila Leslie (former congress critter) and you will find her whining for money ALL the time. Money doesn't fix bad schools. Having measurable goals, and the ability to get rid of teachers who fail to measure up, are what makes schools better.

Like I stated, my wife is a professor, we KNOW what we are dealing with.

Then you should have no trouble calling her and asking her for some credible content and metrics that you can either link to or upload.

"Been well known" by whom? I didn't until this conversation give a moment's thought to Nevada schools. Why are you even "on about" NV schools? Your remark wasn't limited to NV schools; you made the broad assertion that "public schools suck," not that "NV public schools suck." I'm the one who introduced NV and I did so only because you mentioned your daughter's schooling.

More importantly than any of that, the original claim I made has nothing to do with NV schools. It doesn't have to do with any state's schools or school system. It has to do with parents behavior. I made that clear to you earlier and you still haven't actually written one word that directly addresses the actual thread topic. Why do you not just address the thread topic?

At this point, I really want to know. To whom do I report dissatisfaction resulting from a moderator's complete refusal to respond, even in your very first post in the thread, refusal to address the topic introduced in the thread's OP, which, BTW, you happened to quote in your first thread post? There must be someone to whom we members can report our grievances.

Do parents have an effect? Yes. Sometimes. But here's the deal. Teachers spend more waking time with kids than the parents do. Thus, to claim that it is all the parents fault is BS.
  • Who in the conversation between you and me has made that claim? Nobody.
  • What has such a claim to do with the thread topic? Nothing.
I've had it with your:
  1. Refusal to directly address the thread topic.
  2. Repeated posts to deflect attention from the thread topic.

Until you feel like you can and will respond directly to the thread topic as presented in the OP, I'd be happy to read that response. In the meantime, please tell me how to put you on ignore.

I specifically referred to this paragraph. Do you not remember writing it? One of the worst schools in Nevada was actually FOUNDED by Eugene Paslov, who was the Nevada Schools Superintendent. He was an incredibly nice man, but totally inept at running a school. This is a recurring issue when progressives are allowed to control education. The very fact that they modeled the USA's school system on the Prussian Model should raise concern for everyone. That system was specifically geared towards raising a compliant population to further the goals of the Kaiser.

"More importantly than any of that, the original claim I made has nothing to do with NV schools. It doesn't have to do with any state's schools or school system. It has to do with parents behavior. I made that clear to you earlier and you still haven't actually written one word that directly addresses the actual thread topic. Why do you not just address the thread topic?"

Just stop trying to be coyly equivocating. You know as well as I:
  • You've stripped from this conversation the original post to which you replied. You know as well as I do that at the start of the quoted thread of discussion above, I clarified for you that this thread was about the parental behavior noted in the OP.

To in summary remind you, the thread question is this. Why do parents of private school kids seem more given to complaining about the quality private school in question only after the child has completed school, whereas parents (and others) complain about public schools before, during and after the child has graduated from public school?

• You have failed to show the barest modicum of respect one might expect from a site moderator, regardless of how other members behave, by, at least with your first post, the one in which you clearly quoted the OP, responding directly to the thread topic.
    • Your first post in this thread that responded by quoting me/my OP -- You completely ignored the topic of the OP and wrote about schools even though the OP was about parents behavior.
    • My response to that post -- In my response to you, I specifically clarified that the intent and purpose of the OP/thread is to discuss the behavior of the parents as follows.

Additionally, the questions I've asked in the OP have to do with the timing of parents' griping about the schools their kids attend; the temporal theme is found in all three paragraphs of the OP. How does one miss that? ....Yet people would become temerariously pissed at me were I to ridicule their reading comprehension skills....

The central theme is that people "bitch and moan" about private schools after the kid graduates, whereas they do so about public schools before their kids attend, and presumably after their kids graduate. Some people likely deride public schools when they don't even have kids or haven't recently had any who were in a K-12 school.
  • I have asked you repeatedly to please respond directly to the thread topic. You still have not been polite enough to do so.

You specifically cite the parents, while exonerating the Nevada school system.
I don't really give a damn about the Nevada school system. I asked in my OP for people's thoughts about parental behavior, not about Nevada school systems. Go create a thread about Nevada school systems and I'll be more than happy to refrain from posting in it.

I made it very clear already that the original claim I made (in the OP) has nothing to do with NV schools. It doesn't have to do with any state's schools or school system. The only reason I mentioned NV ( you didn't mention NV schools initially) is because you show as being in NV and you wrote:

I'm paying for my girl to go to private school. Any sane person would.
The purpose for my mentioning and citing the ratings for some NV high schools was to illustrate why I challenged the legitimacy of your claim that "any sane person would" pay for their child to go to private school by showing that there are obviously good public high schools in NV. Thus sending one's child to one of good public high schools in NV cannot possibly indicate insanity and a parent who send their child to one cannot, as your remark implies, be simplistically inferred to be insane.

The MAJORITY of schools in Nevada are sub par. Are there some good public schools? Of course there are, but the MAJORITY are not. That is a fact. Even the schools that are "good" are only good for the top 10% of their students. If you are an average student you will get a bit of help, but not enough to blossom into a good student. If you are a poor student you will remain a poor student. That too is a fact. One of the kids in my daughters school moved to Carson City. Carson High is rated as a good school. The kid involved is a very motivated student and will succeed in whatever endeavor he chooses to engage in. I asked him his impression of CH and he basically reiterated what we had been told by the parents of other kids who attended that school.

The top 10% get loads of help, the average kids get a bit, and the poor students flounder. My point still stands, if you have the money you send your kid to a private school. Any sane person would, because the investment in money will generate far more benefit down the road for that particular kid. Now, if I had a child who wasn't smart or motivated, then it would not make sense to send them to a private school. They would get nothing out of it. And that too would be sane. But, those are the exceptions to the rule.

The problem that public schools have is they teach to the lowest common denominator. The teachers have no incentive (other than personal desire, which some have in spades) to ensure that their students do well. The teachers aren't rated by the students as they are in college and if they are a bad teacher the teachers union protects them. In my daughters school a few years ago there was a teacher who wasn't doing a good job. She was fired. It was that simple.

Yet another false statement. I get rated by my students and the union cannot and will not protect me like you claim.

Private Schools had better be superior to public schools. If not, why would parents be spending thousands of dollars to send their kids there?

But many parents are not sending their kid to private school out of concern for their education. They are concerned about the type of students their children will interact with. Blacks, minorities, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, kids from poor families and the wrong side of the tracks

That is why kids get shipped off to private school
My son went to a private school from grade 2 to 7th grade. It was an excellent school and he received a scholarship for college. Most of the students did. There was only one class of each grade so all of the students were in the same group each year. Four students were going to NASA each year for workshops!

The elementary school was Lutheran and then he went to a Catholic high school.

And for those who cry foul when they are single parent homes, my marriage was dissolved when he was 11. He turned out fine.

Yes, he didn't have any drugs in the school, students had to take tests to enter the school for entry and there was a strict dress and behavior code. I never regretted my choice.

Charter schools are all over the place. Some are private, with Fortune 500 companies funding them while others are off shoots of the public schools. Everyone would like to have a safe school, including dress codes, competent students and a strict behavior code. I just ask, since this is proving to be the great model, why don't we make public schools similar to these successful private schools?

There could be three levels of schools. Level one for disadvantaged students who struggle (academically behind grade level) also offering vocational schools to acquire a trade; those who are on grade level and are challenged in their classes requiring logic skills, and level three for the academically excelling students who could be taught faster, introducing Foreign Language, classes on morals a great deal of writing and literature and college preparation. But all of the schools would require dress codes, strict behavior codes and monthly checks for drugs in the campus from canines.

Hello! Private schools can kick out any student they wish! Not so for any public schools. You are simply dreaming!

The public schools need to be overhauled, we need to breakaway for the old school mentality. We need to teach students life skills, balancing a budget, where and how to invest. When a home is an asset and when it is a liability. That challenging the status quo is not a bad thing. We seem to be stuck in teaching robots and not free thinkers.

We teach life skills, economics, and investments. You apparently have not even darked a school door in decades.

I wonder what the problem with Nevada schools is?

I've seen documentaries on D.C. and Detroit. Rampant graft and corruption there.

I'm curious, but not that curious right now.

Private Schools had better be superior to public schools. If not, why would parents be spending thousands of dollars to send their kids there?

But many parents are not sending their kid to private school out of concern for their education. They are concerned about the type of students their children will interact with. Blacks, minorities, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, kids from poor families and the wrong side of the tracks

My son went to a private school from grade 2 to 7th grade. It was an excellent school and he received a scholarship for college. Most of the students did. There was only one class of each grade so all of the students were in the same group each year. Four students were going to NASA each year for workshops!

And for those who cry foul when they are single parent homes, my marriage was dissolved when he was 11. He turned out fine.

Yes, he didn't have any drugs in the school, students had to take tests to enter the school for entry and there was a strict dress and behavior code. I never regretted my choice.

Charter schools are all over the place. Some are private, with Fortune 500 companies funding them while others are off shoots of the public schools. Everyone would like to have a safe school, including dress codes, competent students and a strict behavior code. I just ask, since this is proving to be the great model, why don't we make public schools similar to these successful private schools?

There could be three levels of schools. Level one for disadvantaged students who struggle (academically behind grade level) also offering vocational schools to acquire a trade; those who are on grade level and are challenged in their classes requiring logic skills, and level three for the academically excelling students who could be taught faster, introducing Foreign Language, classes on morals a great deal of writing and literature and college preparation. But all of the schools would require dress codes, strict behavior codes and monthly checks for drugs in the campus from canines.

Hello! Private schools can kick out any student they wish! Not so for any public schools. You are simply dreaming!

Did you not just say this?

"Yet another false statement. I get rated by my students and the union cannot and will not protect me like you claim."

I've seen documentaries on D.C. and Detroit. Rampant graft and corruption there.

That's a really good question that has no answer. Clark county school district is the 5th largest in the USA with a budget of over 2.1 billion dollars, and they have no clue where the money is going in many cases. One of the school board members wants to do a forensic audit but the rest of the Board is fighting him to the point of accusing him of criminal behavior to shut him up.

That's a really good question that has no answer. Clark county school district is the 5th largest in the USA with a budget of over 2.1 billion dollars, and they have no clue where the money is going in many cases. One of the school board members wants to do a forensic audit but the rest of the Board is fighting him to the point of accusing him of criminal behavior to shut him up.

Offhand I'd say it's not that guy and all the other board members are up to their necks in embezzling. :badgrin:

Then again, it could just be poor management, poor choice of textbooks, teachers, etc.

Did you not just say this?

"Yet another false statement. I get rated by my students and the union cannot and will not protect me like you claim."

I said it. So what? Those are two completely unrelated statements.

Do you have a point or is confusion your normal state?

They have no idea if they are on ignore.

Well, if they are slow on the uptake and don't figure it out by the fact they never get a reply/response, putting them on ignore was the right move.

Don't need a response to get in a good jab, but its up to each individual, to me it is cowardly to be afraid of others opinions no matter how idiotic you may think they maybe.

The opinion they hold isn't why I have anyone on ignore. It's the intransigence and imitive banality with which they choose to air it that bores me to the point that I determine it's just not encountering their remarks. I'll take the time to engage with someone/folks so long as they show themselves as substantive and possessed of discursive integrity. But if they don't, they can talk to someone else. It's for their own good. They and I are both happier and better off that way. They don't have to be made to look a fool and I don't have to waste my time pointing out how obvious it is that they are.

Lots of arrogance I see. I think it's time to reconsider my ignore option and not deal with pompous asses such as yourself.

Maybe not, you are fun to laugh at.

Private schools are usually non-union. End of discussion.

If a private school teacher does not "produce" s/he is gone. If a public school teacher sucks, s/he will continue to infect the school system like a long-living social disease, until the public is forced to pay for a generous and lengthy retirement.

This factor CANNOT be overlooked, as it is a MAJOR difference between public and private schools.

Why don't you grow up? You continue to repeat this lie in thread after thread.

Why are so you pissed off? Did your spouse run off with a public school teacher and you couldn't compete in the sack?

Isn't bringing up family a violation of the TOS?

If a private school teacher does not "produce" s/he is gone. If a public school teacher sucks, s/he will continue to infect the school system like a long-living social disease, until the public is forced to pay for a generous and lengthy retirement.

This factor CANNOT be overlooked, as it is a MAJOR difference between public and private schools.

Why are so you pissed off? Did your spouse run off with a public school teacher and you couldn't compete in the sack?

This is the internet, didn't you put your thick skin on?

How is the generic term "spouse" attacking his family? I was attacking his bad attitude.

The public schools need to be overhauled, we need to breakaway for the old school mentality. We need to teach students life skills, balancing a budget, where and how to invest. When a home is an asset and when it is a liability. That challenging the status quo is not a bad thing. We seem to be stuck in teaching robots and not free thinkers.

We teach life skills, economics, and investments. You apparently have not even darked a school door in decades.

So do you teach real economics or household economics? I had my kids come home with some pretty disturbing ideas about business, wealth, investing and budgeting.

How is the generic term "spouse" attacking his family?

Is not a spouse a intimate family member?

I didn't attack the spouse, now did I?

You insinuated their spouse cheated on them.

This is the internet, didn't you put your thick skin on?

No my family member insulted shit head!

No. I asked if that was why they have such a bad attitude.

You can mince words all day long, but the fact remains that the poster has a deep-seated hatred of public education and I want to know why.

No. I asked if that was why they have such a bad attitude.

You can mince words all day long, but the fact remains that the poster has a deep-seated hatred of public education and I want to know why.

I really don't care why. The public education system has some flaws and needs fixed. The focus is on feel good bs, and participation trophies, extreme rules without thought of consequences. We need to get back to learning. Again, economics in high schools are laughable.

Forum List

Back