CDZ Hate speech leads to hate killings

I disagree. Anti-homosexual attitudes exist in many non-Muslim countries. People who immigrate must learn tolerance whatever they personally feel, and must follow new country's laws and norms. I think there is an issue if more people immigrate than can be adequately assimilated but that varies by country, and depends on that countries own resources. Christianity had to adjust and evolve and it is a recent and tenuous evolution that is still fragile (look at what is happening in Russia). So will other religions.

But I think you're right and I'm wrong in broad brushing an entire group - it isn't necessarily hate speech, maybe hateful though. Perhaps it depends on the context.

Except that they won't.

Not for generations, AND even then the current plan is to keep importing new unassimilated immigrants.

Except that is a common canard - certain immigrants (insert ethnic/religious group of your choice) "won't assimilate". And that is the sort of broadbrushing that leads to hate. Assimilation rates vary according to country (not religion) of origin and the country they are going to. For example, studies have shown that Muslims in the US and Canada are one of the best assimilated groups, UK as well.

And if your point about Islam's homophobia is true, then it is not hateful to discuss it.

Indeed, it become irresponsible to NOT discuss it.

And your concerns about Christians is a complete REd Herring which has nothing to do with the topic.

No, it is not hateful to discuss it, and no, talking about the Christian faith in relation to homophobia is as much to do with the topic as talking about the Muslim faith (particularly when you look at the Pew research). When you say that it's a red herring then the question comes up are you as much concerned for homosexual rights as you are for attacking Islam?

But I agree, none of that is hate speech but how it is discussed determines on whether it's hateful wouldn't you say?

1. Tell the girls of Rotherham how well the UK immigrants have assimilated. AND you did not address the fact that the constant stream of NEW immigrants will, of course, be a constant part of the population.

2. I'm glad you agree that talking about the truth of Islamic Homophobia is not hateful, for example.

2b. And that's the way it is used as a Red Herring. The topic is changed from the topic to whether the one dialog participant is a bad person.
2b The topic is hate speech. Christian homophobia is no different to Muslim homophobia so why would you want to discuss one in isolation to the other? Both are negative and, in both cases the expression of that hatred has led to killings. Neither can be a red herring and the only reason for rejecting either would be ignorance or having an agenda.

Because people like you are bringing up "Christian homophobia" to deflect from, distract from, and defend Islamic Homophobia.

As part of YOUR agenda.
I didnt invent Christian homophobia and I am happy to condemn homophobia from wherever it comes.

Its dishonest to criticise the one and airbrush the other out of existence. Will you join me in condemning homophobia from wherever it comes ?

Except that they won't.

Not for generations, AND even then the current plan is to keep importing new unassimilated immigrants.

Except that is a common canard - certain immigrants (insert ethnic/religious group of your choice) "won't assimilate". And that is the sort of broadbrushing that leads to hate. Assimilation rates vary according to country (not religion) of origin and the country they are going to. For example, studies have shown that Muslims in the US and Canada are one of the best assimilated groups, UK as well.

And if your point about Islam's homophobia is true, then it is not hateful to discuss it.

Indeed, it become irresponsible to NOT discuss it.

And your concerns about Christians is a complete REd Herring which has nothing to do with the topic.

No, it is not hateful to discuss it, and no, talking about the Christian faith in relation to homophobia is as much to do with the topic as talking about the Muslim faith (particularly when you look at the Pew research). When you say that it's a red herring then the question comes up are you as much concerned for homosexual rights as you are for attacking Islam?

But I agree, none of that is hate speech but how it is discussed determines on whether it's hateful wouldn't you say?

1. Tell the girls of Rotherham how well the UK immigrants have assimilated. AND you did not address the fact that the constant stream of NEW immigrants will, of course, be a constant part of the population.

2. I'm glad you agree that talking about the truth of Islamic Homophobia is not hateful, for example.

2b. And that's the way it is used as a Red Herring. The topic is changed from the topic to whether the one dialog participant is a bad person.
2b The topic is hate speech. Christian homophobia is no different to Muslim homophobia so why would you want to discuss one in isolation to the other? Both are negative and, in both cases the expression of that hatred has led to killings. Neither can be a red herring and the only reason for rejecting either would be ignorance or having an agenda.

Because people like you are bringing up "Christian homophobia" to deflect from, distract from, and defend Islamic Homophobia.

As part of YOUR agenda.
I didnt invent Christian homophobia and I am happy to condemn homophobia from wherever it comes.

Its dishonest to criticise the one and airbrush the other out of existence. Will you join me in condemning homophobia from wherever it comes ?

It is dishonest for you to pretend that you are prepared to do ANYTHING to seriously address any problem caused by Muslim Immigration and CUlture.

And that your purpose in this thread is to deflect from, distract from and defend Islamic Culture and Immigration.

You would need to quantify your assertions to have credibility.
As it stands you seem to be saying that Muslim homophobia is hate speech but Christian homophobia isnt, primarily because it is less widespread. I believe that both are hate speech and would have thought that the evidence supports that overwhelmingly.

I have credibility since I rely on credible information instead of just imagining an entire alternate world into existence as is the practice among apologists.

As to what you are claiming I have said, I can only arrive at two possible conclusions as to what motivates the misrepresentation, one intentional and one unintentional. Which is it?

Homophobia is homophobia regardless of who is mouthing the words. It has a very disturbing relationship to religion. Why anyone would want to focus on just one aspect of homophobia and exclude all others from examination is beyond me. Yes it occurs in Muslim cultures. Yes it occurs in Christians cultures. So what? What are you going to do about it?

Why is it so much more important to make it about ONE group alone then it is to combat it where ever it occurs?

Homophobia - and related hate speech is actually on the rise in certain parts of the world and that can usually be correlated to an increase in religiousity. Uganda changed it's laws to criminalize homosexuality. Initially, with the death penalty (with the support of certain US churches who couldn't alter America's trend towards widespread exceptence so they moved their attentions to Africa) - but international outcry was so great, and threats of withdrawing financial support forced them to alter it.

However - and this is where it ties in to hate speech - newspapers in Uganda publish names of known homosexuals. A 2011 list was published in an article calling for execution of homosexuals. David Kato, a gay rights activist in Uganda was beaten to death in 2010 after his information was published in a newspaper.

Most recently: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/25/ugandan-tabloid-prints-list-top-200-homosexuals

While the newspapers may not have engaged in obvious hate speech - they had to have known the results of their publishing names in such a homophobic country would lead to lynchings. In fact, was that the intent?

The influence of evangelical churches in Africa is disturbing.

Jamaica is considered to be the most homophobic country in the world. This article links the growth of homophobia to the influence of "Christian" preachers.

The law went widely unenforced until the late 1980s and early ’90s, when the introduction of anti-gay rhetoric from televangelists Pat Robertson and Jimmy Swaggart developed a hatred of biblical proportions throughout the devoutly Christian island. Homosexuality was labeled an “abominable” disease spread by pedophiles, purportedly linked to the spread of HIV and AIDS.

‘The Abominable Crime’ Spotlights Homophobia in Jamaica

While interviewing former Parliamentarian Ernest Smith, he said, “There was no violence against gays. That’s a lie. It is gays against gays.” So I interviewed people in the gay community and found that was not the case. Person after person had the most horrific tales. People were being killed with machetes and burned alive in their houses.

Jamaican Gays are entitled to political asylum in the UK because of the situation over there. Its not just the religion,the popular culture glamourises homophobia as well.

As part of YOUR agenda.

It is dishonest for you to pretend that you are prepared to do ANYTHING to seriously address any problem caused by Muslim Immigration and CUlture.

And that your purpose in this thread is to deflect from, distract from and defend Islamic Culture and Immigration.
I have already condemned Muslim homophobia, you might have missed that.

Homophobia is homophobia regardless of who is mouthing the words. It has a very disturbing relationship to religion. Why anyone would want to focus on just one aspect of homophobia and exclude all others from examination is beyond me. Yes it occurs in Muslim cultures. Yes it occurs in Christians cultures. So what? What are you going to do about it?

Why is it so much more important to make it about ONE group alone then it is to combat it where ever it occurs?

Homophobia - and related hate speech is actually on the rise in certain parts of the world and that can usually be correlated to an increase in religiousity. Uganda changed it's laws to criminalize homosexuality. Initially, with the death penalty (with the support of certain US churches who couldn't alter America's trend towards widespread exceptence so they moved their attentions to Africa) - but international outcry was so great, and threats of withdrawing financial support forced them to alter it.

However - and this is where it ties in to hate speech - newspapers in Uganda publish names of known homosexuals. A 2011 list was published in an article calling for execution of homosexuals. David Kato, a gay rights activist in Uganda was beaten to death in 2010 after his information was published in a newspaper.

Most recently: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/25/ugandan-tabloid-prints-list-top-200-homosexuals

While the newspapers may not have engaged in obvious hate speech - they had to have known the results of their publishing names in such a homophobic country would lead to lynchings. In fact, was that the intent?

Because different groups in different situations, with different types and levels of an issue can be dealt most effectively with different responses.

Because different groups in different situations, with different types and levels of an issue can be dealt most effectively with different responses.

Not exactly sure what you mean there.

Jamaica is considered to be the most homophobic country in the world. This article links the growth of homophobia to the influence of "Christian" preachers.

The law went widely unenforced until the late 1980s and early ’90s, when the introduction of anti-gay rhetoric from televangelists Pat Robertson and Jimmy Swaggart developed a hatred of biblical proportions throughout the devoutly Christian island. Homosexuality was labeled an “abominable” disease spread by pedophiles, purportedly linked to the spread of HIV and AIDS.

While interviewing former Parliamentarian Ernest Smith, he said, “There was no violence against gays. That’s a lie. It is gays against gays.” So I interviewed people in the gay community and found that was not the case. Person after person had the most horrific tales. People were being killed with machetes and burned alive in their houses.

Jamaican Gays are entitled to political asylum in the UK because of the situation over there. Its not just the religion,the popular culture glamourises homophobia as well.

FYI, Homosexuality IS linked to the spread of HIV and AIDS.

As part of YOUR agenda.

Interesting that you didn't offer what you were prepared to DO, about it.

Which is nothing.

YOu asked why make it about "one" group instead of combating it where ever it occurs.

One group's homophobia could be best addressed by one method, while another DIFFERENT group might require a DIFFERENT response.

YOu asked why make it about "one" group instead of combating it where ever it occurs.

One group's homophobia could be best addressed by one method, while another DIFFERENT group might require a DIFFERENT response.

Ok, now I understand what you mean.

Now, want to guess my opinion on the best way to address Islamic Homophobia?

I think one characteristic of hate speech is that it dehumanizes a group and once that occurs, it's easy to pile on lies and conspiracy theories, and eventually justify violence.

Dangers of Dehumanization
While deindividuation and the formation of enemy images are very common, they form a dangerous process that becomes especially damaging when it reaches the level of dehumanization.

Once certain groups are stigmatized as evil, morally inferior, and not fully human, the persecution of those groups becomes more psychologically acceptable. Restraints against aggression and violence begin to disappear. Not surprisingly, dehumanization increases the likelihood of violence and may cause a conflict to escalate out of control. Once a violence break over has occurred, it may seem even more acceptable for people to do things that they would have regarded as morally unthinkable before.

Parties may come to believe that destruction of the other side is necessary, and pursue an overwhelming victory that will cause one's opponent to simply disappear. This sort of into-the-sea framing can cause lasting damage to relationships between the conflicting parties, making it more difficult to solve their underlying problems and leading to the loss of more innocent lives.

Indeed, dehumanization often paves the way for human rights violations, war crimes, and genocide. For example, in WWII, the dehumanization of the Jews ultimately led to the destruction of millions of people.[9] Similar atrocities have occurred in Rwanda, Cambodia, and the former Yugoslavia.

It is thought that the psychological process of dehumanization might be mitigated or reversed through humanization efforts, the development of empathy, the establishment of personal relationships between conflicting parties, and the pursuit of common goals.

Feel free to express it.

As part of YOUR agenda.

Which is nothing.
I have condemned it. I support Gay rights and speak against bigotry. What else would you have me do ?

Feel free to express it.

Deport the ones we can, and stop importing more of them.

As we can't do that with Christian native born Homophobes they require a different response.

As part of YOUR agenda.

Which is nothing.
I have condemned it. I support Gay rights and speak against bigotry. What else would you have me do ?

Tell what policies you would support to address it.

But it is not "an “abominable” disease spread by pedophiles" which is just pure hate speech.

But it is not "an “abominable” disease spread by pedophiles" which is just pure hate speech.

So, you admit that it is odd for the article to use the word "purportedly" in reference to Homosexuality being linked to the spread of AIDS?

I've run into leftists who have made that argument before. THey are very disconnected from reality.

More so even than most leftists.

Forum List

Back