Hatchet help

I don't think that hatchet's thick enough to be useful.

I bet I'd bend it. Get it stuck good and then bend the crap out of it trying to get it loose.

It should at least have a rib on either side.
I wonder what's its use is... I was thinking ice...

Da fuq good is a light hatchet?
I find my older Finnish-made Fiskers 14" very useful. I bought one at a yard sale 20+ years ago and have not messed with another hatchet since. It has a 1# head.....It even finds use on the butchering table for splitting deer pelvises.

OIP.wWViSeIGT0AviIUYoAnJAQAAAA

I believe it's called the X7 now.....Still made in Finland.

It's a decent camp wood splitter too. The butt end (or pole) is plenty wide enough for camp chore hammering too.
The hammer factor is something one would lose with a hatchet like in the OP.

I used to have one with a nail-puller notch and an actual hammer head on the back side.

The hammer factor is something one would lose with a hatchet like in the OP.

I used to have one with a nail-puller notch and an actual hammer head on the back side.
I wouldn't even use it as a hatchet. It could be used as a large paper weight, or an example of the idiotic things that are sold today.

This is what I used to split wood. I sat on my knees and used the hatchet as a 'splitting wedge with a handle on it' and pounded it through with a short handled sledgehammer. This eliminated the dangerous overhead swing with an ax or heavy splitting maul as well as all the bending up and down. Easier, faster, safer, although not as 'manly' to observe.

Nowadays I use an electric/hydraulic splitter. Love it!

I modified the two-handed operation 'safety feature' to one-handed, so it would actually be safer to use. Ironic eh?

wood splitter.JPG

Last edited:
This is what I used to split wood. I sat on my knees and used the hatchet as a 'splitting wedge with a handle on it' and pounded it through with a short handled sledgehammer. This eliminated the dangerous overhead swing with an ax or heavy splitting maul as well as all the bending up and down. Easier, faster, safer, although not as 'manly' to observe.

My daughter bought me a Kindling Cracker as a Christmas gift several years back.....Too much fun, I bet I have enough kindling for this season and the next. It's almost addictive using it. ;)

2c5cea038c890d65e542dfe4986fc26a.jpg

LOL....Check this thing out!

Last edited:
When I was a kid my father would get a cord or two of wood at the start of each summer. As soon as school was out, me and my brothers would spend days splitting and stacking wood for the winter.

Forum List

Back