Happy Anniversary? I Don't Think So, Mitt

Why in the world would I ever vote for Mitt Romney? Oh that's right, I wouldn't.

On April 12, 2006, MA Gov. Mitt Romney signed Commonwealth Care into law. The universal health care initiative would become Gov. Romney’s signature policy achievement. Five years on, how is that achievement holding up?

Not very well, actually.

Commonwealth Care was supposed to do two things: Increase access to health care, and bring down the cost of health care. It has increased access if you define that as more people paying for health insurance, but costs have gone up dramatically, and wait times to see a medical professional have gone up as well. Cato Institute’s Michael Tanner took at a look at RomneyCare during the ObamaCare debate, and found that:

* Although the state has reduced the number of residents without health insurance, 200,000 people remain uninsured. Moreover, the increase in the number of insured is primarily due to the state’s generous subsidies, not the celebrated individual mandate.
* Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average.
* New regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice and adding to health care costs.
* Program costs have skyrocketed. Despite tax increases, the program faces huge deficits. The state is considering caps on insurance premiums, cuts in reimbursements to providers, and even the possibility of a “global budget” on health care spending—with its attendant rationing.
* A shortage of providers, combined with increased demand, is increasing waiting times to see a physician.

That’s not much of an achievement. Worse still, RomneyCare provided the blueprint for much of what became ObamaCare, which is the most reviled of all of President Obama’s domestic policies among Republican voters — the very voters Romney needs to win the GOP primary. In particular, ObamaCare’s controversial individual mandate is a central feature of Commonwealth Care. President Obama even directly thanked Romney for passing RomneyCare and giving the Democrats some ideas to nationalize.

Mitt Romney brings some firepower to the 2012 fight. He can self-finance and has a talent for raising money. His political organization was probably the most professional on the GOP side in 2008. His record as a businessman and on the US Olympic committee showed that he can take on massive challenges and fix them. So far, though, he hasn’t figured out how to deal with RomneyCare, which was supposed to be his greatest policy victory but after five years has turned out to be his greatest political liability.

Video at link introducing Mitt's 'collaborator and friend'. I fruckin hate politicians.

The PJ Tatler » Commonwealth Care: An anniversary Mitt Romney probably hopes you forget

Well think about this for a moment?? Would you vote for Mitt who tried something and didn't know it wasn't a good idea,, or for the asswipe who already had the proof it wasn't a good idea but crammed it down America's throat anyway. Mitt or obie wan??? Mitt wins my vote.

OK Republicans...Time to line up

If Mitt Romney is so clearly unacceptable as the Republican nominee

Who is next in line?

who said he was "clearly unacceptable"? the person who is clearly unacceptable to me is obama,, always has been.

As much as I'd like to see that happen I ain't holdin my breath..

It will never make it past the Senate.

Why in the world would I ever vote for Mitt Romney? Oh that's right, I wouldn't.

On April 12, 2006, MA Gov. Mitt Romney signed Commonwealth Care into law. The universal health care initiative would become Gov. Romney’s signature policy achievement. Five years on, how is that achievement holding up?

Not very well, actually.

Commonwealth Care was supposed to do two things: Increase access to health care, and bring down the cost of health care. It has increased access if you define that as more people paying for health insurance, but costs have gone up dramatically, and wait times to see a medical professional have gone up as well. Cato Institute’s Michael Tanner took at a look at RomneyCare during the ObamaCare debate, and found that:

* Although the state has reduced the number of residents without health insurance, 200,000 people remain uninsured. Moreover, the increase in the number of insured is primarily due to the state’s generous subsidies, not the celebrated individual mandate.
* Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average.
* New regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice and adding to health care costs.
* Program costs have skyrocketed. Despite tax increases, the program faces huge deficits. The state is considering caps on insurance premiums, cuts in reimbursements to providers, and even the possibility of a “global budget” on health care spending—with its attendant rationing.
* A shortage of providers, combined with increased demand, is increasing waiting times to see a physician.

That’s not much of an achievement. Worse still, RomneyCare provided the blueprint for much of what became ObamaCare, which is the most reviled of all of President Obama’s domestic policies among Republican voters — the very voters Romney needs to win the GOP primary. In particular, ObamaCare’s controversial individual mandate is a central feature of Commonwealth Care. President Obama even directly thanked Romney for passing RomneyCare and giving the Democrats some ideas to nationalize.

Mitt Romney brings some firepower to the 2012 fight. He can self-finance and has a talent for raising money. His political organization was probably the most professional on the GOP side in 2008. His record as a businessman and on the US Olympic committee showed that he can take on massive challenges and fix them. So far, though, he hasn’t figured out how to deal with RomneyCare, which was supposed to be his greatest policy victory but after five years has turned out to be his greatest political liability.

Video at link introducing Mitt's 'collaborator and friend'. I fruckin hate politicians.

The PJ Tatler » Commonwealth Care: An anniversary Mitt Romney probably hopes you forget

Well think about this for a moment?? Would you vote for Mitt who tried something and didn't know it wasn't a good idea,, or for the asswipe who already had the proof it wasn't a good idea but crammed it down America's throat anyway. Mitt or obie wan??? Mitt wins my vote.

Show me proof that Mitt has learned from his disaster and I'll think about it.

As of right now if it were a choice between the two, I'd stay home on election day. I want someone I can vote for, rather than casting my ballot for them in a vote against the other guy.

Who is next in line?

who said he was "clearly unacceptable"? the person who is clearly unacceptable to me is obama,, always has been.

OK Willow supports Romney

How bout you other republicans ?
Ready to climb on the Romney Express??

Run them and see

It may just be a case of wishes getting in the way of insight, but I sense that any candidate will beat Obama. While his personals remain high, he does not do well on polls on specific policies.....

and I'm thinking that even the polls on personal may suffer from the Bradley Effect.

Here's hoping.

Omar Bradley?

Not Bill nor Ed....

"The Bradley effect, less commonly called the Wilder effect,[1][2] is a theory proposed to explain observed discrepancies between voter opinion polls and election outcomes in some US government elections where a white candidate and a non-white candidate run against each other.[3][4][5] The theory proposes that some voters will tell pollsters they are undecided or likely to vote for a black candidate, while on election day they vote for the white candidate. It was named after Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, an African-American who lost the 1982 California governor's race despite being ahead in voter polls going into the elections.[6]

The Bradley effect theorizes that the inaccurate polls were skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias.[7][8] Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation."

Bradley effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is next in line?

OK Willow supports Romney

How bout you other republicans ?
Ready to climb on the Romney Express??

I for one seek any candidate who will promise to repeal the budget-busting, job-destroying, command-and-control statist ObamaCare.

Nope.

To early to climb on anyones express train.

I'll be waiting to see who's actually running bvefore I do any jumping.

There are two Great Things about RomeneyCare:

- Even the liberals in MA hate it.
- The Obama Administration keeps using it as a justification for ObamaCare.

The more the Obamanoids associate the Truly Horrible RomenyCare with ObamaCare, more people will have a chance to grok the premonition of what a Epic Fail ObamaCare will be.

Where do Mass residents say they hate Romneycare?

As of right now if it were a choice between the two, I'd stay home on election day. I want someone I can vote for, rather than casting my ballot for them in a vote against the other guy.

all you stay a homer guys are gonna put obie wan back in the wh.. congratulations.

all you stay a homer guys are gonna put obie wan back in the wh.. congratulations.

That wouldn't be a total disaster. He will likely be facing a solidly GOP House and Senate. Lame duck from day 1.

At least Romney is a gentleman.

Although that is not a prerequisite for Presidency judging my some incumbants.

Alternatively we can have another dude who plays well to the crowds' media addictions.

That wouldn't be a total disaster. He will likely be facing a solidly GOP House and Senate. Lame duck from day 1.

I don't want to hear a single stay a homer bitch about the outcome. They forfeit that right.

the recession started after the primaries.

In what alternative universe do you find your "Facts"?

It's called "the news media."

Then you need to read/watch different "news media". The recession started in December of 2007.

It helps to remember what happened too. Remember that McCain suspended his campaign after the primaries to deal with the crisis? You remember that, right?
no, I remember him talking about suspending his campaign. I also remember TV ads etc...still going while he was in DC with Obama.

Not very well, actually.

How much has this cost the rest of America?

If I recall, in the first year they needed $15 billion from the Fed to keep it going.

was that a yearly bill we paid or did it fluctuate?

As RomneyCare needed a bail out by the Feds, who is going to Bail Out the Feds for ObamaCare?

As RomneyCare needed a bail out by the Feds, who is going to Bail Out the Feds for ObamaCare?

T-A-X-E-S

1.Obamacare will collect more than $500 billion in new taxes and take $575 billion from Medicare over the next ten years.
a. Two new entitlements, plus a big Medicaid expansion, are created to reduce the number of uninsured, at a cost of at least $2.3 trillion- that’s TRILLION- over the first ten years of full implementation.

2. With each passing year new taxes will be imposed. As disclosed on the attached chart from the
California Hospital Association:
• 2011: A 2.5% excise tax is imposed on pharmaceuticals. (This is part of the plan to pay for the
reform law.) This cost – which will be in the billions of dollars - will be passed on to health care
providers, primarily hospitals, who already operate with very thin margins, and will be under
great financial pressure to raise their rates to pay for it, with resulting price pressure on health
insurance premiums.
• 2012: That excise tax increases to 3%.
• 2013: A separate 2.9% excise tax on medical devices will begin. The same pass-through will take
place, creating the same pressures on providers and on insurance premiums.
• 2014: An $8 billion fee on health insurance premiums kicks in. Obviously consumers will bear
this tax and their premiums will rise.
Because of all these costs, Obamacare is generally unsustainable. Here is one study that addresses that
issue:
Obamacare: The Real Price Tag is a Moving Target | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

3. As is usual for liberal-progressives, the element of coercion is an intrinsic ‘twin’ to their intentions, and it remains so in Obamacare. Beginning in 2014, everyone will face a penalty if they don’t purchase a health policy that meets the government’s definition of a ‘minimum essential’ level of health coverage. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Public Law 111-148, Section 1501.

a. It will be enforced by the IRS. Obamacare authorizes the hiring of 16,500 additional agents. “the Joint Economic Committee and the House Ways & Means Committee minority staff estimates up to 16,500 new IRS personnel will be needed to collect, examine and audit new tax information mandated on families and small businesses in the ‘reconciliation’ bill being taken up by the U.S. House of Representatives this weekend. ...” http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs...6500-more-irs-agents-needed-enforce-obamacare

b. The penalty is either a flat dollar amount ($695 in 2016) , or 2.5% of your income (in 2016), depending on which is higher. From 2017 on it will increase depending on the CPI.

Forum List

Back