Guilty Via Media: Is Media Liable For Kangaroo Justice?

Should the widow of the late KY Rep. sue media outlets for trying & punishing outside court?

• Yes, I believe rampant media exposure insinuating a guilty verdict should be a tort.

• No, if you're in the public limelight, "guilty by media" is perfectly fine.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.
But does what happened to the KY Rep have a chilling effect on our best and brightest running to serve our country? ie: is it a national security matter?

The free press accurately reporting the news is a national security threat?
If you follow the breadcrumbs. We need the best leadership we can get in these troubled times. On that we all agree. And the best and brightest notice things more quickly than others. Obviously. So our best and brightest notice how many kangaroo trials go on in the media targeting politicians for accusations that have not been tried in a court first. So they bow out of service, leaving those positions open for the duller, the power hunger, the narcissistic. And so filling those positions with inferior employees/servants, our country is run accordingly.

Yes, it's a national security threat.

The free press needs to rein itself in, or have regulations do it for them. This situation has gotten out of control. Equal air time to both accuser and accused's rebuttal, or else.

But does what happened to the KY Rep have a chilling effect on our best and brightest running to serve our country? ie: is it a national security matter?

The free press accurately reporting the news is a national security threat?
If you follow the breadcrumbs. We need the best leadership we can get in these troubled times. On that we all agree. And the best and brightest notice things more quickly than others. Obviously. So our best and brightest notice how many kangaroo trials go on in the media targeting politicians for accusations that have not been tried in a court first. So they bow out of service, leaving those positions open for the duller, the power hunger, the narcissistic. And so filling those positions with inferior employees/servants, our country is run accordingly.

Yes, it's a national security threat.

The free press needs to rein itself in, or have regulations do it for them. This situation has gotten out of control. Equal air time to both accuser and accused's rebuttal, or else.

Like I said- we have a free press- and Silhouette is opposed to that. How much else in the Bill of Rights is she opposed to?

Analysis | Memo to Roy Moore: It is very difficult to win a libel suit against the media
Senate candidate Roy Moore is threatening to sue news outlets, including The Washington Post, for reporting on allegations that he groped, harassed or otherwise pursued teenage girls when he was in his 30s. If he actually follows through — this could be nothing more than a scare tactic — the Alabama Republican will have a hard time proving that he is a victim of libel.

More:

The U.S. Supreme Court's 1964 decision in New York Times v. Sullivan has restricted defamation claims, limited by the First Amendment concerns. Thus, for instance, public officials and public figures (people who are famous) must show that statements were made with actual malice to recover in an action for defamation..........Actual malice means that a statement was made with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether it was false. In addition, a plaintiff must show actual malice by “clear and convincing” evidence rather than the usual burden of proof in a civil case, preponderance of the evidence.

OK, so as to that last bit..... That's the part I'm on about here. When the media presents accusations "as true" before they are tried and found to be true or not, that is reckless disregard when pitted against the rights of the accused. Especially when the accusations are of a criminal nature, such as sex with an underaged minor.

To present accusations "as true" in a broadband way to the entire nation, especially when done so with almost no coverage as to the presumed innocence of the accused, is in fact reckless disregard of whether the accusations were false or not. That CANNOT BE KNOWN until AFTER a trial. That's how we do things in the US with regard to accused people.

Analysis | Memo to Roy Moore: It is very difficult to win a libel suit against the media
Senate candidate Roy Moore is threatening to sue news outlets, including The Washington Post, for reporting on allegations that he groped, harassed or otherwise pursued teenage girls when he was in his 30s. If he actually follows through — this could be nothing more than a scare tactic — the Alabama Republican will have a hard time proving that he is a victim of libel.

More:

The U.S. Supreme Court's 1964 decision in New York Times v. Sullivan has restricted defamation claims, limited by the First Amendment concerns. Thus, for instance, public officials and public figures (people who are famous) must show that statements were made with actual malice to recover in an action for defamation..........Actual malice means that a statement was made with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of whether it was false. In addition, a plaintiff must show actual malice by “clear and convincing” evidence rather than the usual burden of proof in a civil case, preponderance of the evidence.

OK, so as to that last bit..... That's the part I'm on about here. When the media presents accusations "as true" before they are tried and found to be true or not, that is reckless disregard when pitted against the rights of t.
And when did the press do that?

^^ When they broadcast the allegations "as true", using nonstop coverage for a period to sink that impression, without having the allegations tried in a court of law. That's when they're found to be facts. And not before.

^^ When they broadcast the allegations "as true", using nonstop coverage for a period to sink that impression, without having the allegations tried in a court of law. That's when they're found to be facts. And not before.
Talking to yourself again Silly?

LOL

I just made a similar thread, great minds think alike. I can still see Harry Reid smiling when he said his comment about Romney not paying taxes worked. I was just thinking about how political opponents took out Herman Cain with complete bs. Having the media make things up that kills people is a whole different thing. I'm a huge free speech and personal freedom guy, unlike antifa, Berkley, or a majority of colleges, but wow, the press literally shoving bs at people. That isn't the press. I guess free speech protects this behavior, but it is clear that this isn't a real press and that journalism has sunk to tabloid level.

I just made a similar thread, great minds think alike. I can still see Harry Reid smiling when he said his comment about Romney not paying taxes worked. I was just thinking about how political opponents took out Herman Cain with complete bs. Having the media make things up that kills people is a whole different thing. I'm a huge free speech and personal freedom guy, unlike antifa, Berkley, or a majority of colleges, but wow, the press literally shoving bs at people. That isn't the press. I guess free speech protects this behavior, but it is clear that this isn't a real press and that journalism has sunk to tabloid level.
A point I made a few pages back here was that this is actually a form of sedition. It undermines our best and brightest from wanting to run for Office and serve our country in leadership. Being intelligent, they want nothing whatsoever to do with this type of Kangaroo fascism sacraficing their persons on the altar of whatever bizarre agenda is being pushed.

So we're left with those hungry for power for it's own sake and/or narcissists wanting public limelight. BTW, narcissists are very typically as stupid as people come; believing since the earliest of ages that they know more than everyone else so what's the point in learning from "their inferiors". They put on a good act as being smart though, just enough to get them where they want to be (on top). It's a very sophisticated game of mirage. And we're all paying for the system that encourages them and not actual smart people running for Office.

A point I made a few pages back here was that this is actually a form of sedition. .

Actually that is your opinion.

But then again you never have been a fan of free speech.

We'll see if free speech includes destroying someone via depicting them as guilty of a crime before they're tried.

You never have been a big fan of rights of the accused.

Justice Clarence Thomas, February 16, 2018:

Justice Clarence Thomas says he's 'worn down' with victimhood culture
"“This is not the Roman Colosseum,” he said. “We’re not gladiators. And I think we’re going to lose some of our best people who choose not to go through the ordeal. They don’t want to have to fight the lion in order to be a judge or to be in government. And I think it’s our own fault for allowing this to happen.”

Yes Justice Thomas, the media witch hunt has a direct and seditious chilling effect on our best and brightest running for High Offices to our entire country's demise.

Forum List

Back