Guidelines for Posting in the Debate Now Forum

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by cereal_killer, Feb 27, 2015.

1. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,485
    Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum
    • Site wide rules apply.
    • Zone 2 rules apply. (thread title and opening post, keep it reasonably civil or risk thread being moved)
    • The OP (original poster) must be written out and in your own words i.e. NO copy/paste or simple links.
    • The OP will clearly state what additional rules (3 or less) will apply to the discussion. The maximum total of three (3) rules MUST be adhered to at all times. Such rules might request that no partisan labels such as Democrat, GOP, liberal, conservative, etc. be used. Or that no specific religion be mentioned. Or no specific person can be named. Or that the discussion is limited to a specific person, document, event, group, etc. Civil or uncivil, whatever the rules will be up to the OP.
    • Members participating in this forum will be expected to follow the rules specified in the OP at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    • It is recommended that any rules specified in the OP be simple, easy to understand, kept to a reasonable minimum, and that they make sense. (If rules are too broad, vague, complicated, restrictive, or numerous, it will be impossible to moderate their intent and purpose.)
    **This forum is in beta and the guidelines/format MAY change as the forum begins to take shape. We do ask that members please respect the guidelines set forth by the members who create threads in order to keep the forum flowing and "trouble-free"**

**If members can't play nice and follow a simple set of guidelines, thread bans and/or removal from the Debate Now forum will occur**

Have fun and Enjoy!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 10
  2. Mad_Cabbie

Mad_Cabbie BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,122
    Thank you, getting sick of some of the snotty remarks and tired trash talk in some of the other forums.

Nice tie.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Roadrunner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    You are going to flag is so we don't track in shit?

4. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,152
    The OP is now the Moderator?

I anticipate CK lounging on a beach in front of a clear aqua-blue Caribbean sea with a rum spritzer and bikini clad servants ... congratulating himself on this strategic move...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,485
    I'm having trouble hearing you?!! What!!?? The waves are pretty loud out here, I'll get back to you when I can!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,058
    Now that we have some experience with this forum, we might consider one additional component to the concept. We are getting bogged down in some discussions over definitions of words or terms. Please give some thought to a rule that when it is deemed advisable by the thread author, the OP will provide a definition of words or terms pertinent to the topic or something like that? This may be overreach, but a time or two I've seen where it could really be useful to settle a dispute and move the discussion forward.

7. Statistikhengst

Statistikhengst תיקון עולם, this will never end

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,669

That recommendation sounds much more like a discussion-killer to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Capstone

Capstone Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,700
    Maybe for those who like to obfuscate via the ambiguity surrounding the meanings of individual words and terms, creating and knocking down strawmen as opposed to addressing their opponents' arguments. In other words, the only discussion in danger of losing its life by way of Foxfyre's suggestion...is the kind that should have never been given life in a formal debate forum in the first place.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Derideo_Te

Derideo_Te Je Suis Charlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,090
    The suggestion makes the OP the Lord High Decider of Dictionary Definitions and woe betide those that disagree for the wrath of the moderators shall be upon their heads.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,058
    Thanks. That was my point. Would you believe there are people who get their jollies by refusing to discuss the topic as defined and who insist on making the topic something else? And getting into a war over definitions and semantics is one of their favorite means of doing that.

I am loving the Structured Debate forum because it does give the thread author some control on how the discussion will be focused. Kudos to C_K and the mods for putting it together.

I just hope there are enough people at USMB who enjoy an intelligent discussion unhampered by the distractors and who will start participating. If not, it was a good experiment.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1