Grocery expenses.

If the brains don't kick in then good looks can help them marry-up. The faster they are married, the faster they are gone.

Last edited:
If the brains don't kick in then good looks can help them marry-up. The faster they are married, the faster they are gone.

Thanks for seeing the glass half-full!!:clap2:

***you must spread some reputation around before you can give it to Kissmy again***

Since It's been a long time since I've been to the empire what is you average cost per person at the grocer ( this includes paper, soap, etc.) per week or month.

The costs seem to be rising very rapidly, so this is somewhat outdated, now, but I find that Iin the last few years I can eat very well for about $200 a month.

In the last few months, since I tend to buy pretty much the same things every week, I'm finding that the cost of eating my normal diet has gone up about 10% overall.

A 10% increase in the last few months is rather significant.

Things like coffee and olive oil (imported goods,please note) seem to be rising in price at a much faster rate than food that is not imported.

My expresso coffee for example, was $2.99 for 10oz a few months ago.

Today it is $3.79. That's about a 25% increase.

Olive oil has gone from $21 a gallon to $28 a gollon in the last year or so.

Those are significant increases in such a short time.

$20 as in twenty dollars? :eek:

Yep. Been doing so for over 9 months now.

:eek: What are you eating? I mean a bag of dog food is almost $2 a pound now days.

The best deals I get lately are whole chickens at $0.49 a pound. I put that in a crock pot with potatoes & carrots, mmm...mmm...good. If I need to feed more people I can throw in 3 chicken brest that soak in that whole chicken taste & stock. I even feed my dog some of this left-over chicken & stock mixed with rice because it is cheaper than dog food.

That sounds good. Do you skim the fat off then thicken it so it's a stew or is it more soup-like?

Since It's been a long time since I've been to the empire what is you average cost per person at the grocer ( this includes paper, soap, etc.) per week or month.

The costs seem to be rising very rapidly, so this is somewhat outdated, now, but I find that Iin the last few years I can eat very well for about $200 a month.

In the last few months, since I tend to buy pretty much the same things every week, I'm finding that the cost of eating my normal diet has gone up about 10% overall.

A 10% increase in the last few months is rather significant.

Things like coffee and olive oil (imported goods,please note) seem to be rising in price at a much faster rate than food that is not imported.

My expresso coffee for example, was $2.99 for 10oz a few months ago.

Today it is $3.79. That's about a 25% increase.

Olive oil has gone from $21 a gallon to $28 a gollon in the last year or so.

Those are significant increases in such a short time.

Yep, you named two items that I 'must have.' Both have risen dramatically. I don't know whether to buy gas or food. Wish I could figure a way to eat gasoline. ;)

We spend $175-$200/week for 5 (well, college kid is away at college but comes home often enough). I think it's too much. I cook dinner every night and bake but still . . . . I buy store-bought cookies and chips for them. I could whittle the bill down by foregoing these purchases and just bake more. They go through a batch of home made cookies/brownies/ cake -- whatever I make -- within a 24 hour period. They are pigs.

I find that non-food items rack up the bill too. I've switched to the cheapest shampoos and stuff and stock up when on sale. We bought a scratch-and-dented chest freezer a few years back and whenever meat is on sale I stock up. Still . . prices have just been going up, up, up.

I've seriously been thinking about leaving the credit card and atm card at home, stopping at bank and withdrawing xx amount of money and whatever that gets me, that's it.

We spend $175-$200/week for 5 (well, college kid is away at college but comes home often enough). I think it's too much. I cook dinner every night and bake but still . . . . I buy store-bought cookies and chips for them. I could whittle the bill down by foregoing these purchases and just bake more. They go through a batch of home made cookies/brownies/ cake -- whatever I make -- within a 24 hour period. They are pigs.

I find that non-food items rack up the bill too. I've switched to the cheapest shampoos and stuff and stock up when on sale. We bought a scratch-and-dented chest freezer a few years back and whenever meat is on sale I stock up. Still . . prices have just been going up, up, up.

I've seriously been thinking about leaving the credit card and atm card at home, stopping at bank and withdrawing xx amount of money and whatever that gets me, that's it.

That's pretty close to what I spent for 4 of us a few years ago. Like I said, certainly wasn't a spendthrift, but we didn't eat out super often. Now I don't eat out, unless on a date or friend/family invite me. LOL! I think we do what we gotta do. While I really do enjoy cooking, watching pennies sucks!

Some things though I've learned. There are differences between generic/store brands/name brands, often little difference. A few items that I scour for coupons and watch for sales: paper towels, tissues, toilet paper.

That's pretty close to what I spent for 4 of us a few years ago. Like I said, certainly wasn't a spendthrift, but we didn't eat out super often. Now I don't eat out, unless on a date or friend/family invite me. LOL! I think we do what we gotta do. While I really do enjoy cooking, watching pennies sucks!

Some things though I've learned. There are differences between generic/store brands/name brands, often little difference. A few items that I scour for coupons and watch for sales: paper towels, tissues, toilet paper.

And if you can find the items on sale AND have coupons . . . even better! I've gone generic more now that I used to. Not for everything but for a lot. We rarely eat out. An occasional pizza or hoagies and once in a blue moon we actually go out to eat at an Applebee's type restaurant. Rare though.

Did you ever see that show 'extreme couponing'? WOW, they get hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of everything (food, non-foods) for next to nothing via their hours of dedicated couponing.

And if you can find the items on sale AND have coupons . . . even better! I've gone generic more now that I used to. Not for everything but for a lot. We rarely eat out. An occasional pizza or hoagies and once in a blue moon we actually go out to eat at an Applebee's type restaurant. Rare though.

Did you ever see that show 'extreme couponing'? WOW, they get hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of everything (food, non-foods) for next to nothing via their hours of dedicated couponing.

I only buy those items with coupons and sales. ;) Extreme couponing? I sub nearly every day and am trying to get the house on the market. I really hate coupons. :eusa_shhh:

Give or take depending on what we buy any particular week its about $100 week for 2 adults and 3 cats .that includes food , drinks ,paper products , cleaning items , everything.
yes we use coupons and any that are due to expire we dont have a need for we leave in the appropiate isle .

Last edited:

Forum List

Back