Green Agenda Dangerous = CFL bulbs

:eusa_think: Lets see..... the LEDs are for saving money.... Oh I know.... lets add some heat to the equation!
Wait..... does'nt that defeat the purpose?

Umm it could have a thermostat and only heat when below freezing. Money/energy would still be saved on an annual basis.

Bullshit. The cost of the energy and the technolgy to run the thermostat it wouldn't justify the small savings in energy.

You people are suckers for Rube Goldbergesque solutions to problems that don't exist.

A simple Klixon type of thermostat is about $1 each and require no power to operate.
A digital one would only cost a few bucks and would draw only a couple of ma current in the off condition. Less current than one standard led, not the High intensity types.
I am a certified electronics technician, are you?

Keep the ignorant rant though.
It is somewhat entertaining.

Last edited:
A simple Klixon type of thermostat is about $1 each and require no power to operate.
A digital one would only cost a few bucks and would draw only a couple of ma current in the off condition. Less current than one standard led, not the High intensity types.

You sir are dead on correct..... but tell me something.

Has any gov't beaurocracy EVER bought anything for what it is actually worth?

I dont think so... they always make things more expensive and in-efficient as it can possilbly be. (i.e. $1,000 toilet seat)

A $1.00 thermostat will end up costing the taxpayer $50.00 or more.

The concept is good.

The manufacturing process has to be hazardous to the environment. All you had in incandescent bulbs was a thread of tungston. You have a powdered form of a extremely toxic heavy metal in the CFL bulbs. What happens in a dozen years when the landfills are full of powdered murcury leaching into the sub-soil and the watershed?

I dont think so... they always make things more expensive and in-efficient as it can possilbly be. (i.e. $1,000 toilet seat)

The concept is good.

It may well cost $50 (they have outsourced traffic light maintenance in my area) but if properly designed and installed should last as long as the Led illuminators. And even at $300 per light still saves money in the long run. Only one thermostat for eatch signal controller would be needed. The heaters will cost more than the thermostat.

The concept is good.

It may well cost $50 (they have outsourced traffic light maintenance in my area) but if properly designed and installed should last as long as the Led illuminators. And even at $300 per light still saves money in the long run. Only one thermostat for eatch signal controller would be needed. The heaters will cost more than the thermostat.

Who cares? Why not use incandescent bulbs?

The concept is good.

Long life of the LED and energy savings.
An incandescent traffic light bulb is pretty expensive, they are not off the shelf bulbs and it costs a lot to roll a truck and pay a couple of guys to change a bulb.
The cost of the actual bulb is pretty insignificant in the cost of changing one.

You lose guy, just take your losses on this and shut up.

An incandescent traffic light bulb is pretty expensive, they are not off the shelf bulbs and it costs a lot to roll a truck and pay a couple of guys to change a bulb.
The cost of the actual bulb is pretty insignificant in the cost of changing one.

he'd rather continue to lose.

he'd rather continue to lose.

;) Obviously.

But but.... dont they have to go and change all of the light assemblies with incandescents in them? :confused:

But but.... dont they have to go and change all of the light assemblies with incandescents in them? :confused:

Dat's "job creation."

Generally they change all the incandescent bulbs when they change one in a signal.
They may just change the lights to LED when they have to service one anyway. I will have to ask my friend. He does this for a living.

Still cheaper in the long run.

And I hope the led assemblies are made in the USA. If not our gummit needs it's ass kicked.

Generally they change all the incandescent bulbs when they change one in a signal.
They may just change the lights to LED when they have to service one anyway. I will have to ask my friend. He does this for a living.

Still cheaper in the long run.

And I hope the led assemblies are made in the USA. If not our gummit needs it's ass kicked.

Ask your friend if they are.... I'd be curious to know.

I agee with the premise that "in the long run" we may save money... I just dont know of any gov't institution that actually saved money.

I and, I believe Revere, see it as just another way for gov't beaurocrats to fix something that wasnt broke.

My city is just replacing all of them, and the old ones worked just fine. (replace them as they go out..)

Another advantage of the LED traffic lights is that the controllers should last longer due to the reduced current requirements.

Another advantage of the LED traffic lights is that the controllers should last longer due to the reduced current requirements.

I am a fan of LEDs

I have replaced all of the bulbs in my trucks with LEDs including dash and dome lights... HIDs replaced incandescent headlights, and I love them.

They are a huge upgrade, but very costly.

Guess I will have to wait a while to see the savings.... nahh, I could care less about that. They are just plain cool looking at night :cool:

Just to test the lower current they draw. I left my lights on all night, and got up in the morning and it started right up.
Pretty cool....

Last edited:

I am a fan of LEDs

I have replaced all of the bulbs in my trucks with LEDs including dash and dome lights... HIDs replaced incandescent headlights, and I love them.

They are a huge upgrade, but very costly.

Guess I will have to wait a while to see the savings.... nahh, I could care less about that. They are just plain cool looking at night :cool:

Just to test the lower current they draw. I left my lights on all night, and got up in the morning and it started right up.
Pretty cool....

I made my replacement interior LED assemblies for my vehicles. Cheap I got the LED's 10/$1 I think and a $.05 resistor. The outside ones I just left incandescent.
they work great for maplights, etc but domelights are a bit different because an LED has less diffusion.

Last edited:
Reducing energy use is a win win thing.
We spend less, we pollute less and have to spend less on our electrical distribution and generating systems.

Nice to do something before it becomes a crisis for a change.

Forum List

Back