Greece just threatened to seize German assets over World War II

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
Not that it has anything to do with German loans not being paid!....And the Euro falls to a 12 year low of $1.05 U.S.!

BI ^
Greece's justice minister said on Wednesday he was ready to implement a High Court ruling allowing Athens to seize German state-owned property to compensate victims of a Nazi massacre in a small Greek village. Nikos Paraskevopoulos' comments come against a backdrop of rising tensions between Athens and Berlin as Greece's new leftist government struggles to persuade its European Union partners to renegotiate a 240 billion euro bailout package. Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras on Tuesday accused successive German governments of using legal tricks to avoid paying reparations for the brutal Nazi occupation of Greece and said he would support efforts to...

Typical communist deadbeats. Stealing other people's money is their answer to everything. It isn't just the Germans they threaten to rob however. They've been threatening wholesale confiscation of private property for years, from Greeks, from their political opposition. Greece is ripe for civil war.

To be fair, Germany forced Greece and other occupied countries to loan money to them, essentially emptying the Greek treasury. These loans were never paid back. The deal the U.S. made after the war, was that to be eligible to receive Marshall Plan money, countries had to renounce these debts. Greece never received near the amount owed them from Germany through the Marshall plan. Based on today's money, by some estimates Germany owes Greece more than Greece's total debt in today's money. So the Greeks may have a point.

Germany s Unpaid Debt to Greece Economist Albrecht Ritschl on WWII Reparations That Never Were

To be fair, Germany forced Greece and other occupied countries to loan money to them, essentially emptying the Greek treasury. These loans were never paid back. The deal the U.S. made after the war, was that to be eligible to receive Marshall Plan money, countries had to renounce these debts. Greece never received near the amount owed them from Germany through the Marshall plan. Based on today's money, by some estimates Germany owes Greece more than Greece's total debt in today's money. So the Greeks may have a point.

Germany s Unpaid Debt to Greece Economist Albrecht Ritschl on WWII Reparations That Never Were
Did they sign the agreement? If so they have no standing and I would advice them not to piss off the rest of Europe.

Greece should get nothing. Italy started the war on Greece, but Greece claims nothing from them.
Another thing is, that if Germany would pay Greece would be broke soon again and claim more.
Greece never met the conditions to join the currency union and those who made the dicision to take them in should now carry the costs of the mess.

I agree. I think Germany owes about 25 billion dollars to Greece.

---

On Wednesday, Greek Justice Minister Nikos Paraskevopoulos said he was ready to allow the Greek government to seize German state-owned property to compensate the families of 218 Greeks killed during World War II. "I'm ready to sign," Paraskevopoulos said during an interview on Mega TV, according to the news agency Reuters, referring to a 2000 ruling that would allow him the confiscation.

70 years after Nazi massacres Greece threatens to seize German assets - The Washington Post

I agree. I think Germany owes about 25 billion dollars to Greece.

---

On Wednesday, Greek Justice Minister Nikos Paraskevopoulos said he was ready to allow the Greek government to seize German state-owned property to compensate the families of 218 Greeks killed during World War II. "I'm ready to sign," Paraskevopoulos said during an interview on Mega TV, according to the news agency Reuters, referring to a 2000 ruling that would allow him the confiscation.

70 years after Nazi massacres Greece threatens to seize German assets - The Washington Post
How much should we get for each German civilian killed by allied bombing in your opinion?

If I remember correctly, it is Germany itself waged the war. Maybe it would be better if you asked this question to your government?

If I remember correctly, it is Germany itself waged the war. Maybe it would be better if you asked this question to your government?
I don´t know if that makes a license to kill civilians. Germany declared war to the US, by the way, not to Britain and France.

Last edited:
The current Greek government with all it's new ministers has no idea what's going on. Issue like immigration, anti-austerity, reparations and a host of others have long been issues championed by the radical Greek left. Every new minister immediately starts mouthing off about anything connected to their ministry and you get chaos, a Greek word btw.

This was thoroughly predictable. It won't be long before Russia starts building permanent bases in Greece or snap elections will have to be held. The Euro, the EU and NATO could soon be just a part of Greek history.

The current Greek government with all it's new ministers has no idea what's going on. Issue like immigration, anti-austerity, reparations and a host of others have long been issues championed by the radical Greek left. Every new minister immediately starts mouthing off about anything connected to their ministry and you get chaos, a Greek word btw.

This was thoroughly predictable. It won't be long before Russia starts building permanent bases in Greece or snap elections will have to be held. The Euro, the EU and NATO could soon be just a part of Greek history.
I am nut sure if Russia is willing to pay for Greece in the current situation.

Greece is going to default. The creditors will take the loss. It makes sense for the Greeks on other levels too. The main threat to Greece is Turkey which Russia can check, Greece can reach a free-trade agreement with Russia to get discounted oil and gas. Add all those things with a historical Orthodox axis, a hard-left government and Putin's expansionist policy, and you've got the almost inevitable.

I am a Greek citizen of Greek ancestry and have lived there for 22 years. I've got an more than just an inkling of what I'm talking about.

Greece is going to default. The creditors will take the loss. It makes sense for the Greeks on other levels too. The main threat to Greece is Turkey which Russia can check, Greece can reach a free-trade agreement with Russia to get discounted oil and gas. Add all those things with a historical Orthodox axis, a hard-left government and Putin's expansionist policy, and you've got the almost inevitable.

I am a Greek citizen of Greek ancestry and have lived there for 22 years. I've got an more than just an inkling of what I'm talking about.
Greece´s urgent problem is just another threatening national bankruptcy and I doubt that Russia will pay the costs. Greece wants a debt cut from the Troika.

I don´t know if that makes a license to kill civilians.
Of course not. But unfortunately, people haven’t yet invented a method which would allow them to be engaged in war without civilian casualties.

Germany declared war to the US, by the way, not to Britain and France.
Britain had a treaty with Poland. When Germany declared war on Poland, it automatically meant that Britain was to declare war on Germany.

Greece´s urgent problem is just another threatening national bankruptcy and I doubt that Russia will pay the costs. Greece wants a debt cut from the Troika.
Look, Greece drops the Euro and devalues the New Drachma bu 50% or more. Debts payable in Euro become payable in the new currency on a one-to-one basis even though he new currency is worth far less than the Euro. Imports to Greece double in price, at least but then Russia can provide many of the products previously provided in the open market with the Drachma being tied to the Ruble.

Of course not. But unfortunately, people haven’t yet invented a method which would allow them to be engaged in war without civilian casualties.
Throwing blockbusters (yes, that´s where the name is from) onto apartment blocks is not exactly trying to minimize civilian casualties.

Britain had a treaty with Poland. When Germany declared war on Poland, it automatically meant that Britain was to declare war on Germany.
An act of hypocrisy. The Soviets also invaded Poland and became Britain´s ally. Furthermore, Britain´s and France´s declarations of war resulted only in the "phony war" (German description: Sitzkrieg) that did not help Poland anyhow.

Poland rejected the German 16 Points Plan and thus dashed all hopes for peace:

The city Danzig goes back to Germany

The people of the territory from the Eastsea and the Marienwerder-Graudenz-Kulm-Bromberg line makes up their mind to which Nation they want to belong in an election

This election will be controlled by a commision of Italy, USSR, France and England

This election will not include the habour Gdingen, that will be polish

To get a well prepared election, it will not take place within 12 month

To garantee the German connection to Ostpreußen and the polish conection to the sea during this time, ways will be set for roads and railways

A simple majority will bring it to an issue

If the territories will be Polish, Germany gets the right to build a Reichsautobahn and a 4-track railway to Ostpreußen in a corridor that is 1 km wide. If the territories goes to Germany, the Polish have the same right to build a connection to Gdingen.

If the territory will be German, Germany is poised for a population exchange with Poland

The Polish claims in Danzig will be broked like the German claims in Gdingen

For not to bring an environment of threats, Danzig and Gdingen will be demilitarized

The peninsule Heia, that will be involveld in the elections, too, will also be demilitarized

Discomforts about discrimination of minorities on both sides will be broked by an international commission

German and polish foreigners have not perform the compulsory military service

If this Plan will be accepted, both countries will perform the de-mobilization of their armies

For the acceleration of this agreements, German and Poland will hear this case

Look, Greece drops the Euro and devalues the New Drachma bu 50% or more. Debts payable in Euro become payable in the new currency on a one-to-one basis even though he new currency is worth far less than the Euro. Imports to Greece double in price, at least but then Russia can provide many of the products previously provided in the open market with the Drachma being tied to the Ruble.
That would still not be sufficient to pay the salaries, pensions, welfare rolls, etc. Without reforms, difficult to apply, Greece will implode, with Russia or Europe by its side.

Forum List

Back