GREAT AGAIN: New Life For Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town...

Steel jobs? Coal jobs? The cons love 18th century era, don't they?
What are you going to build cars, buildings & bridges out of? Playdoe?

Stupid fucking leftists

That stupid moron is typical of the left. Damn but they have their heads up their ass, secure in their government jobs they give two shits about blue collar workers.
It boggles my mind that they hate on these kinds of jobs. My job is back breaking like those jobs. The thing is those jobs make the lives of others better. They typically pay good and provide for a good future for the families who otherwise might get left behind. Many children were put through school thanks to the sacrifices their parents made doing hard labor jobs.

Those jobs pay their government salaries. When you look at a Dem state after they destroy their private sector businesses with taxes and regulations, they stand around in shock after being told there's no money left to fund their government pensions.
Is that why California is the 5th biggest economy in the world? Why do we have thousands of corporations? Those dumb asses should go to Alabama or Tennessee to flourish...NOT!!!

Last I hear California public pensions were over $300 billion dollars in the hole, they tried to get Obama to bale them out with a federal bailout. :itsok:

Instead of going backwards, how about we try adapting our work force to new industries?

Sure thing, dumbass.....except we were told we could all become computer programmers/software engineers for the last 20 years....how did that work out?

We were? I’ve never been told that. Nobody in my high school told us that. Nobody in college did either

Ha! That was back in the early nineties....it fizzled like a bad fart

Who said I did? But only a leftist would believe that bringing jobs back to America is a bad idea. Now if we can just get rid of the foreigners who are keeping our wages down, America will be great again.
The US always had foreigners since its creation, and that's what made it different.

Not 11 million or more illegal ones. A few won't lower American wages; millions do.
Dude most Americans can' and won't do most of the jobs that illegals do. I see it first hand on daily basis....most beggers in my city if not all are healthy white males.

FALSE. Americans used to do home construction, drywall and roofing, some went on to become home builders after learning the trades.
I started out as a laborer making 5 or 6 bucks an hour. I am now a contractor making my own future

You were lucky. My father paid me a dollar an hour.

whistle while we work... Sings the THREE GUY needed to monitor the machines doing the work...

Actual control room from plant: 3 new jobs, for people with advance degrees. Thanks Donald... I guess?

gallery-1498153350-699054458-1.jpg

No people in actual plant.

evarez.jpg

Right, they are hiring hundreds of people to sit and watch computer screens.

I live a stones throw from Granite City, trust me it will take more than 500 folks going back to work for a little while to bring it back to life.

So why bother right? you didn't learn how to be a quitter in the USMC....or did you?

Your jealousy of not being good enough to be a Marine just knows no bounds does it?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Mixed feelings.

Tariffs could certainly backfire, a hundred-fold.

Then again, long-term national security requires that we retain a substantial manufacturing base on our own soil, under our own control.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to press the Reset button on Manufacturing in this country, before we get where we need to be.

What-the-hell... No Guts, No Glory.

We've gotta do something, and what we've been doing so far has not been getting the job done.

There is a difference between temporary, cheaper goods, leaving things unchanged, and long-term security, being able to "do" for ourselves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that we have lost our way, in that regard, in recent decades, our capability sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Well... enough of that $hit... time to try something different... radical, even... to begin pushing back against those taking advantage of the US for decades.

Globalism huh?

How is it that the US is the richest nation in the world with the most powerful military in the world after decades of failure?

Are we lucky?

Wanna parlay that luck into a bet on an ignorant man's red meat call to morons?

The primary issue that we have is that our riches have been held by too few people and that has prevented the masses from rapidly adjusting to the changing economy.

It takes a fraction of the personnel to operate a steel plant now as compared to 30 years ago. Tarriffs won't change that. And that fact isn't the result of the joos having control.
Yes... Globalism.

We buy the materials and parts for the machines used by our Largest Military in the World from China and other offshore sources, directly or indirectly.

If that supply of parts is ever cut off, we're screwed.

We need to go back to making them ourselves, so that we don't get screwed when the inevitable souring of relations becomes problematic.

If we need fewer Worker Bees per plant than we formerly did, well, that's fine; 30% of old job levels are a damned-sight better than 0% of old job levels.

Time to sacrifice cheaper prices, short-term, for restoration of a strategic manufacturing capability, long term.

Tariffs are merely one lever by which present imbalances may be addressed.

=============================================================

( as to your stupid remark about "joos having control"... typical LibTard baiting... missing the mark by a vast, wide margin in my own particular case )

The term "globalism" has a distinct history. Maybe you should learn it before you use it.

And you are still suggesting that a moron can solve complex issues with a tweet or by executive order. He's a moron. He has not thought the issue through. We all know this. His motivation is purely political.

And we have not lost our manufacturing capability. That's a fear tactic.

The last thing Trump is is political. The reason he's having so much success is because he could care less about reelection like professional politicians.

Trump has been a businessman all his life. Unlike DumBama who never so much as ran a hotdog stand, I trust a guy like Trump ten times more than Ears when it comes to the economy.

Mixed feelings.

Then again, long-term national security requires that we retain a substantial manufacturing base on our own soil, under our own control.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to press the Reset button on Manufacturing in this country, before we get where we need to be.

We've gotta do something, and what we've been doing so far has not been getting the job done.

There is a difference between temporary, cheaper goods, leaving things unchanged, and long-term security, being able to "do" for ourselves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that we have lost our way, in that regard, in recent decades, our capability sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Well... enough of that $hit... time to try something different... radical, even... to begin pushing back against those taking advantage of the US for decades.

Globalism huh?

How is it that the US is the richest nation in the world with the most powerful military in the world after decades of failure?

Are we lucky?

The primary issue that we have is that our riches have been held by too few people and that has prevented the masses from rapidly adjusting to the changing economy.

It takes a fraction of the personnel to operate a steel plant now as compared to 30 years ago. Tarriffs won't change that. And that fact isn't the result of the joos having control.
Yes... Globalism.

We buy the materials and parts for the machines used by our Largest Military in the World from China and other offshore sources, directly or indirectly.

We need to go back to making them ourselves, so that we don't get screwed when the inevitable souring of relations becomes problematic.

If we need fewer Worker Bees per plant than we formerly did, well, that's fine; 30% of old job levels are a damned-sight better than 0% of old job levels.

Time to sacrifice cheaper prices, short-term, for restoration of a strategic manufacturing capability, long term.

( as to your stupid remark about "joos having control"... typical LibTard baiting... missing the mark by a vast, wide margin in my own particular case )

The term "globalism" has a distinct history. Maybe you should learn it before you use it.

And you are still suggesting that a moron can solve complex issues with a tweet or by executive order. He's a moron. He has not thought the issue through. We all know this. His motivation is purely political.

The last thing Trump is is political. The reason he's having so much success is because he could care less about reelection like professional politicians.

Trump has been a businessman all his life. Unlike DumBama who never so much as ran a hotdog stand, I trust a guy like Trump ten times more than Ears when it comes to the economy.

You are insane. His only consideration is how he looks to his base. Period.

And. He is not having success. Please stop trying to kill me with your stupid.

Care to explain what you mean by that? How much somebody else is worth has no impact on what you are worth.

Mixed feelings.

Globalism huh?

Are we lucky?

Yes... Globalism.

You are insane. His only consideration is how he looks to his base. Period.

And. He is not having success. Please stop trying to kill me with your stupid.

Trump is having a ton of success, but your partisanship will not allow you to see it. Would you like me to point out what his successes are?

Trump could care less about what people think about him. Isn't that obvious by now?

When I tried to tell an Arizona newspaper reporter how I found Trump being a businessman a refreshing change from lawyers- the news guy took notes as if he cared, but he didn't because later I found out he was a far left editorial writer- and all he did was mock the people he talked to that day. That day was when I went to see Mike Pence speak. The walls were lined with cops, and the seats were filled with people of all ages. It is understandable that some people find Pence to be too heavy in his Evangelical beliefs and perhaps he is more feared than even the President Trump. What is sad to me is what the afraid block themselves from seeing what is truly good in these two men: A warmth, a dry witty sense of humor, a real love for the real United States, etc...I heard Mike Pence told his real life story about working at his father's gas station in Indiana. He understands the American Dream. President Donald Trump understands business. WHAT A BLESSING TO GET A BREAK FROM LAWYERS!

Last edited:
At least he's trying to bring quality American Jobs back to our country.

To what detriment?

Why steel tariffs failed when Bush was president
/----/ SO WHAT DO WE DO, JUST SIT BACK AS THESE COUNTRIES DUMP SUBSIDIZED STEEL IN THE US?

Well my friend...... Look at the current economy. Does it look like these companies that are in the steel and aluminum business are suffering? These are the casualties of success which is very good as far as in general are concerned.

Here is the reality. Forget that you are a Trump supporter for a second.
The bottom line:
1. Prices of steel and aluminum all over US may it be local or imports will increase tremendously favoring his buddies.
2. Prices of products that are heavily rely on steel and aluminum such as cars, can goods, medical instruments manufacturers, tools etc etc etc...... will increase.
3. Hard to compete overseas with our products as it is.
4. Our partners overseas will retaliate. Thus harder to sell our products as it is.
5. Remember some of those countries can live with less sacrifices without buying our products.
6. I’m in the medical instrumentation business. How much do you think I will increase the cost of my instruments? $5. $10........ How about maybe at the minimum $1,500 or $2,000.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Last edited:
See Obamas obsession about "what they think of us over there" is done and good and beneficial riddance

Hopefully this is just the beginning....

I think it is. From my neck of the woods:

Republic Steel bringing 1,000 jobs to Lorain

That's wonderful news Ray...the area should prosper

That area is about 20 miles west of Cleveland. It really went downhill when the mills closed up. They could use any help they can get.

I don't know how this will all end up; I was never crazy about the tariff idea, but the up front results are pretty hopeful.

Union: Georgetown's Liberty Steel Mill to re-open thanks to Trump's tariff plan

125 more jobs in SC....so far that makes 1,925 good paying jobs since the announcement. Seems we are heading in the right direction. Ross says more to come on certain industries.

Nah! The reality doesn’t work that way. It has not even started yet to make such claims.
The reality is that the economy is excellent thus companies are hiring. That has nothing to do with the 125 newly hired.

According to the experts, previous experience and so are the 100 GOPs that sign a letter sent to Trump ........ We are heading the wrong way.

To what detriment?

/----/ SO WHAT DO WE DO, JUST SIT BACK AS THESE COUNTRIES DUMP SUBSIDIZED STEEL IN THE US?

6. I’m in the medical instrumentation business. How much do you think I will increase the cost of my instruments? $5. $10........ How about maybe at the minimum $1,500 or $2,000.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

In reality this very good for my pocketbook. But how about the general population? How about my customers (hospitals) that will increase their services to compensate?
Look at the ripple effect of this dumb tariffs policy.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

To what detriment?

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

In reality this very good for my pocketbook. But how about the general population? How about my customers (hospitals) that will increase their services to compensate?
Look at the ripple effect of this dumb tariffs policy.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.
/——-/ Rush is right again. Folks will say the tariffs will work good for me but I’m scared it might harm everyone else so I’m against it. MSM strikes again.

We know bringing quality jobs back to American Citizens doesn't excite Democrats. It's all about placating Non-Citizens for them now. But for most others, this is great news.

Go Trump!

Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. X -1.49% scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.

“We were in a deep state of depression here, and not sure if it would ever open again,” said Mayor Ed Hagnauer, who was first elected in 2005.

Suddenly things are looking up for Granite City, an industrial town with a population of about 30,000 across the Mississippi River from St. Louis...

Read More:
New Life for Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town, Workforce
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

I live a stones throw from Granite City, trust me it will take more than 500 folks going back to work for a little while to bring it back to life.

It’s has to start at 1 incremental job to grow.

Forum List

Back