GREAT AGAIN: New Life For Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town...

Mixed feelings.

Tariffs could certainly backfire, a hundred-fold.

Then again, long-term national security requires that we retain a substantial manufacturing base on our own soil, under our own control.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to press the Reset button on Manufacturing in this country, before we get where we need to be.

What-the-hell... No Guts, No Glory.

We've gotta do something, and what we've been doing so far has not been getting the job done.

There is a difference between temporary, cheaper goods, leaving things unchanged, and long-term security, being able to "do" for ourselves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that we have lost our way, in that regard, in recent decades, our capability sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Well... enough of that $hit... time to try something different... radical, even... to begin pushing back against those taking advantage of the US for decades.

Globalism huh?

How is it that the US is the richest nation in the world with the most powerful military in the world after decades of failure?

Are we lucky?

Wanna parlay that luck into a bet on an ignorant man's red meat call to morons?

The primary issue that we have is that our riches have been held by too few people and that has prevented the masses from rapidly adjusting to the changing economy.

It takes a fraction of the personnel to operate a steel plant now as compared to 30 years ago. Tarriffs won't change that. And that fact isn't the result of the joos having control.
Yes... Globalism.

We buy the materials and parts for the machines used by our Largest Military in the World from China and other offshore sources, directly or indirectly.

If that supply of parts is ever cut off, we're screwed.

We need to go back to making them ourselves, so that we don't get screwed when the inevitable souring of relations becomes problematic.

If we need fewer Worker Bees per plant than we formerly did, well, that's fine; 30% of old job levels are a damned-sight better than 0% of old job levels.

Time to sacrifice cheaper prices, short-term, for restoration of a strategic manufacturing capability, long term.

Tariffs are merely one lever by which present imbalances may be addressed.

=============================================================

( as to your stupid remark about "joos having control"... typical LibTard baiting... missing the mark by a vast, wide margin in my own particular case )

The term "globalism" has a distinct history. Maybe you should learn it before you use it.

And you are still suggesting that a moron can solve complex issues with a tweet or by executive order. He's a moron. He has not thought the issue through. We all know this. His motivation is purely political.

And we have not lost our manufacturing capability. That's a fear tactic.

We know bringing quality jobs back to American Citizens doesn't excite Democrats. It's all about placating Non-Citizens for them now. But for most others, this is great news.

Go Trump!

Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. X -1.49% scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.

“We were in a deep state of depression here, and not sure if it would ever open again,” said Mayor Ed Hagnauer, who was first elected in 2005.

Suddenly things are looking up for Granite City, an industrial town with a population of about 30,000 across the Mississippi River from St. Louis...

Read More:
New Life for Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town, Workforce
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®
Corporations do the hiring, not the politicians...

Hopefully this is just the beginning....

Amen. It's about time this country started fighting for American Workers again. The Globalists have decimated quality American Jobs for years. It's time to turn things around.

I watched Wilbur Ross on tv last week and he said more is coming....most likely taxes on cars bring imported is one

It's unbelievably refreshing having a US President daring to look out for American Workers. We haven't seen that in so many years. The Globalists in both Parties have decimated quality American Jobs. It's time to help our own again. Go Trump!
Trump doesn't produce one single item in the USA to sell in the USA...How is he helping when he is part of the problem?

Hopefully this is just the beginning....

Amen. It's about time this country started fighting for American Workers again. The Globalists have decimated quality American Jobs for years. It's time to turn things around.

I watched Wilbur Ross on tv last week and he said more is coming....most likely taxes on cars bring imported is one

It's unbelievably refreshing having a US President daring to look out for American Workers. We haven't seen that in so many years. The Globalists in both Parties have decimated quality American Jobs. It's time to help our own again. Go Trump!
Trump doesn't produce one single item in the USA to sell in the USA...How is he helping when he is part of the problem?
seems to me his admin is producing jobs where they were lost before.

kinda hard to kick that around and go BAD TRUMP. well, usually.

...The term "globalism" has a distinct history. Maybe you should learn it before you use it...
Most folks thoroughly understand both the term and the condition that it describes; that's highly problematic for internationalists.

...And you are still suggesting that a moron can solve complex issues with a tweet or by executive order. He's a moron. He has not thought the issue through. We all know this. His motivation is purely political...
Trump is a nightmare and constitutes a dumbing-down of the Presidency; nevertheless, even a broken clock is right, twice a day. Tariff's could very well be a good start.

...And we have not lost our manufacturing capability. That's a fear tactic.
Hor$e$hit.

We know bringing quality jobs back to American Citizens doesn't excite Democrats. It's all about placating Non-Citizens for them now. But for most others, this is great news.

Go Trump!

Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. X -1.49% scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.

“We were in a deep state of depression here, and not sure if it would ever open again,” said Mayor Ed Hagnauer, who was first elected in 2005.

Suddenly things are looking up for Granite City, an industrial town with a population of about 30,000 across the Mississippi River from St. Louis...

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018[emoji768]

I live a stones throw from Granite City, trust me it will take more than 500 folks going back to work for a little while to bring it back to life.
so it is all or nothing? can't it start somewhere?

A little early for a straw man, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Go Trump!

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018[emoji768]

I live a stones throw from Granite City, trust me it will take more than 500 folks going back to work for a little while to bring it back to life.
so it is all or nothing? can't it start somewhere?

A little early for a straw man, isn’t it?

straw man? what am i making up and putting on non existent people?

do we or do we not need to start helping people from somewhere?

Go Trump!

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

Swap 100 steel jobs for minus 1000 jobs everywhere else. WOoooo go Trump. Making jobs and ignoring everything else since 2017!

Go Trump!

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

Swap 100 steel jobs for minus 1000 jobs everywhere else. WOoooo go Trump. Making jobs and ignoring everything else since 2017!
what jobs were lost?

U.S. Added 313,000 Jobs in February. Here’s What That Means.

whistle while we work... Sings the THREE GUY needed to monitor the machines doing the work...

Actual control room from plant: 3 new jobs, for people with advance degrees. Thanks Donald... I guess?

gallery-1498153350-699054458-1.jpg

No people in actual plant.

evarez.jpg

...The term "globalism" has a distinct history. Maybe you should learn it before you use it...
Most folks thoroughly understand both the term and the condition that it describes; that's highly problematic for internationalists.

...And you are still suggesting that a moron can solve complex issues with a tweet or by executive order. He's a moron. He has not thought the issue through. We all know this. His motivation is purely political...
Trump is a nightmare and constitutes a dumbing-down of the Presidency; nevertheless, even a broken clock is right, twice a day. Tariff's could very well be a good start.

Hor$e$hit.

Yeah. We lost it, but now that we have tariffs, steel mills will be back up in no time! Ask a Trombie.

Hor$e$hit.

Yeah. We lost it, but now that we have tariffs, steel mills will be back up in no time! Ask a Trombie.
I don't think we have the tariffs yet, do we? With all the exclusions and the way Trump is talking now about the EU (see his speech in PA) I wonder if the entire noise about tariffs is a "deal maker" to get countries to back off on some of their tariffs.

Hor$e$hit.

I don't think we have the tariffs yet, do we? With all the exclusions and the way Trump is talking now about the EU (see his speech in PA) I wonder if the entire noise about tariffs is a "deal maker" to get countries to back off on some of their tariffs.
possibly. trump seems to love to threaten but, he also follows through if he has to, for good or bad. :)

Hor$e$hit.

Manufacturing output in the US is twice what it was 1985.

Manufacturing in the United States - Wikipedia
Manufacturing sector employment in the U.S. 1985-2016 | Statistic

please illustrate how you got this number.

I got it from the Fred.stlouis.org. Sorry I cannot link to it via my phone. They report Manufacturing Sector: Real Output

Your links are for employment numbers, I was speaking of output.

Hor$e$hit.

I got it from the Fred.stlouis.org. Sorry I cannot link to it via my phone. They report Manufacturing Sector: Real Output

thanks. found it and i'll dig when i have time.

Hor$e$hit.

found it.

Manufacturing Sector: Real Output

wonder what they are including for the "output". we don't make much of anything anymore in regard to tv's, appliances, cars are all over the map in mexico and canada but still seems to be the last we're producing of big ticket items.

Hor$e$hit.

found it.

wonder what they are including for the "output". we don't make much of anything anymore in regard to tv's, appliances, cars are all over the map in mexico and canada but still seems to be the last we're producing of big ticket items.

Keeping with the steel theme we produce 81 million tons as opposed to the 26 million we import

Hor$e$hit.

found it.

Keeping with the steel theme we produce 81 million tons as opposed to the 26 million we import

Steel production figures United States 2017 | Statistic

outside 2009 sucking non-steel balls, we've been on a decline since 2006 and starting to "tick back up" in 2017. we'll see how the trending continues.

Forum List

Back