GREAT AGAIN: New Life For Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town...

Hopefully this is just the beginning....

I think it is. From my neck of the woods:

Republic Steel bringing 1,000 jobs to Lorain

That's wonderful news Ray...the area should prosper

That area is about 20 miles west of Cleveland. It really went downhill when the mills closed up. They could use any help they can get.

I don't know how this will all end up; I was never crazy about the tariff idea, but the up front results are pretty hopeful.

Hopefully this is just the beginning....

I think it is. From my neck of the woods:

Republic Steel bringing 1,000 jobs to Lorain

That's wonderful news Ray...the area should prosper

That area is about 20 miles west of Cleveland. It really went downhill when the mills closed up. They could use any help they can get.

I don't know how this will all end up; I was never crazy about the tariff idea, but the up front results are pretty hopeful.

Union: Georgetown's Liberty Steel Mill to re-open thanks to Trump's tariff plan

125 more jobs in SC....so far that makes 1,925 good paying jobs since the announcement. Seems we are heading in the right direction. Ross says more to come on certain industries.

We know bringing quality jobs back to American Citizens doesn't excite Democrats. It's all about placating Non-Citizens for them now. But for most others, this is great news.

Go Trump!

Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. X -1.49% scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.

“We were in a deep state of depression here, and not sure if it would ever open again,” said Mayor Ed Hagnauer, who was first elected in 2005.

Suddenly things are looking up for Granite City, an industrial town with a population of about 30,000 across the Mississippi River from St. Louis...

Read More:
New Life for Steel Plant Perks Up Depressed Illinois Town, Workforce
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

What about the people in Tennessee who lost potential jobs when Electrolux decided not to expand because of the tariffs. What about towns that rely on steel using industries.

Steel jobs? Coal jobs? The cons love 18th century era, don't they?

I haven't seen Republicans this excited since Trump's failed Carrier deal.

The people who work in those industries sure do.
Some third world countries are moving away from those industries and the dumb asses wants to go back to them.

We'll be glad to take all the jobs they want to give us.
Go get education. Why you wanna do hard labor for a small change?

Some third world countries are moving away from those industries and the dumb asses wants to go back to them.

Who said I did? But only a leftist would believe that bringing jobs back to America is a bad idea. Now if we can just get rid of the foreigners who are keeping our wages down, America will be great again.

Not everybody can be a scientist. engineer, or doctor, Issa. Also, higher education is no longer affordable like it once was even if a student has the abilities. Hoping manufacturing will take on here. Plus, manufacturing jobs grow other industries around it.

Who said I did? But only a leftist would believe that bringing jobs back to America is a bad idea. Now if we can just get rid of the foreigners who are keeping our wages down, America will be great again.
The US always had foreigners since its creation, and that's what made it different.

Last edited:

The US always had foreigners since its creation, and that's what made it different.

Not 11 million or more illegal ones. A few won't lower American wages; millions do.

Mixed feelings.

Tariffs could certainly backfire, a hundred-fold.

Then again, long-term national security requires that we retain a substantial manufacturing base on our own soil, under our own control.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to get us back to where we need to be, with regard to a formidable strategic manufacturing capability.

What-the-hell... No Guts, No Glory.

We've gotta do something... what we've been doing so far has hindered and eroded a native manufacturing capability rather than moved us closer to a renewal.

We have lost our way in recent decades with respect to a native and strategic manufacturing capability; sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Well... enough of that $hit... time to try something different... radical, even... to begin pushing back against those taking advantage of the US for decades.

Last edited:
Mixed feelings.

Then again, long-term national security requires that we retain a substantial manufacturing base on our own soil, under our own control.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to press the Reset button on Manufacturing in this country, before we get where we need to be.

We've gotta do something, and what we've been doing so far has not been getting the job done.

There is a difference between temporary, cheaper goods, leaving things unchanged, and long-term security, being able to "do" for ourselves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that we have lost our way, in that regard, in recent decades, our capability sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Well... enough of that $hit... time to try something different... radical, even... to begin pushing back against those taking advantage of the US for decades.

Globalism huh?

How is it that the US is the richest nation in the world with the most powerful military in the world after decades of failure?

Are we lucky?

Wanna parlay that luck into a bet on an ignorant man's red meat call to morons?

The primary issue that we have is that our riches have been held by too few people and that has prevented the masses from rapidly adjusting to the changing economy.

It takes a fraction of the personnel to operate a steel plant now as compared to 30 years ago. Tarriffs won't change that. And that fact isn't the result of the joos having control.

We know bringing quality jobs back to American Citizens doesn't excite Democrats. It's all about placating Non-Citizens for them now. But for most others, this is great news.

Go Trump!

Ever since the layoffs a few years ago, many residents here had wondered when the local steel plant would again fire up its furnaces—or close forever.

Not only were hundreds of steelworkers left jobless when United States Steel Corp. X -1.49% scaled down its operations in Granite City, Ill., in 2015, but lunch deliveries to the plant vanished for a local diner while a shoe store’s work-boot sales plummeted. At least 26 businesses closed within a year, according to an area chamber of commerce.

“We were in a deep state of depression here, and not sure if it would ever open again,” said Mayor Ed Hagnauer, who was first elected in 2005.

Suddenly things are looking up for Granite City, an industrial town with a population of about 30,000 across the Mississippi River from St. Louis...

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

2-14 workers per sift.

Plant is almost entirely automated.

TRUMP FAIL.

Make American forget what a lying piece of shit he is...

Mixed feelings.

And that might require some considerable pain, in order to press the Reset button on Manufacturing in this country, before we get where we need to be.

We've gotta do something, and what we've been doing so far has not been getting the job done.

There is a difference between temporary, cheaper goods, leaving things unchanged, and long-term security, being able to "do" for ourselves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that we have lost our way, in that regard, in recent decades, our capability sacrificed on the Altar of Globalism.

Globalism huh?

How is it that the US is the richest nation in the world with the most powerful military in the world after decades of failure?

Are we lucky?

Wanna parlay that luck into a bet on an ignorant man's red meat call to morons?

The primary issue that we have is that our riches have been held by too few people and that has prevented the masses from rapidly adjusting to the changing economy.

It takes a fraction of the personnel to operate a steel plant now as compared to 30 years ago. Tarriffs won't change that. And that fact isn't the result of the joos having control.
Yes... Globalism.

We buy the materials and parts for the machines used by our Largest Military in the World from China and other offshore sources, directly or indirectly.

If that supply of parts is ever cut off, we're screwed.

We need to go back to making them ourselves, so that we don't get screwed when the inevitable souring of relations becomes problematic.

If we need fewer Worker Bees per plant than we formerly did, well, that's fine; 30% of old job levels are a damned-sight better than 0% of old job levels.

Time to sacrifice cheaper prices, short-term, for restoration of a strategic manufacturing capability, long term.

Tariffs are merely one lever by which present imbalances may be addressed.

=============================================================

( as to your stupid remark about "joos having control"... typical LibTard baiting... missing the mark by a vast, wide margin in my own particular case )

Last edited:

Go Trump!

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

I live a stones throw from Granite City, trust me it will take more than 500 folks going back to work for a little while to bring it back to life.
so it is all or nothing? can't it start somewhere?

Forum List

Back