US Steel To Restart Illinois Plant Operations: Plans To Call Back 500 Employees....

Are you joking? What the hell do you think a tariff does? You think buyers are happily choosing to overpay for a product they used to be able to get easily and cheaply?

Environmental whackos have no problem paying for for reformulated gas in order to 'save' the Earth. Why do they stand for the mass pollution other countries emit in order to sell US cheap metal?

Tariffs are leftist policies. Trump is embracing them, so no need to wait for the Democrats.

How are tariffs 'leftist policies' please explain.
Big gubmint stepping in, forcing you to buy overpriced products... you thanks that’s small government conservatism? :cuckoo:

You explanation is way to broad IMO. We are not talking about a broad-brush 'overpriced products' argument...We are talking specifically about other countries exporting cheap metal to the U.S. thereby undermining our economy. One of the reasons China is able to do this is their complete ignoring of so-called environmental regulations and cheap unsafe labor. One would think that the leftists would abhor 'free trade' that harms people and the Earth.
You are the leftist here. Economic policy is the only thing I’ve ever thought republicans got right.

American steel is more expensive. It’s about to shoot up even more now that Trump is forcing people to buy it. Manufacturing is going to take a massive hit.

Yes, Trump’s tariff is very much like the ACA mandate. Congratulations, lib.

When China, Europe, and others end their tariffs and restrictions, we can then talk. Till then, Trump is trying to help American Workers out. And they haven't had much help in many years. The Globalists have decimated them. So many quality American jobs have been lost. So i'm grateful we finally have a US President looking out for American Citizens again. Good on Trump.
Their tariffs harm them and help us. The EU has 200 million more people than us, but a lower GDP. That’s in large part because they have higher tariffs and subsidies. Wealth destroyers.

You rubes need to stop pointing to shitty countries and saying you want us to be like them. It won’t convince me to support your tariffs.

Nothing can match the awful decimation Globalists have wrought upon American Workers. It's time to help them out for a change. China, Europe and others have always implemented tariffs and restrictions. They've been doing it for many years. Time for free and fair trade. Go Trump!

And by 'free and fair trade' you mean America unilaterally imposing tariff's to protect favored American industries at the expense of other American industries- i.e. instead of Capitalism.

Hmm. Interesting twitter response to Trump from Elon Musk:

For example, an American car going to China pays 25% import duty, but a Chinese car coming to the US only pays 2.5%, a tenfold difference

Another one:

Also, no US auto company is allowed to own even 50% of their own factory in China, but there are five 100% China-owned EV auto companies in the US

Yepper, to the globalists, this is "fair trade".

Mark

We could absolutely raise the tax on Chinese cars to 25%- and that would actually not be protectionist- and would actually help American manufacturers.

But instead- we are slapping a 25% tax on steel- so American car manufacturers will have a harder time competing with Chinese, and German, and Japanese cars.

A little protectionism might just be a good thing. We need to maintain our ability to produce steel and Al. Also, cheep prices are only good for those that have good jobs.

I'll keep saying it until the sun burns out: America flourished and grew into an industrial powerhouse under an ardently protectionist trade policy from Lincoln through Harding, and largely protectionist trade policy from Harding through Eisenhower.

Too many conservatives have swallowed the globalists' free-trade arguments because those arguments seem conservative on their face. But when you look at them a bit more carefully, they are basically arguing to allow numerous countries to continue to enjoy grossly unfair trade advantages and to force our factories and businesses to compete against foreign factories and businesses that are heavily subsidized and/or that have much lower labor and regulatory costs.

I would say 'free trade' should include a country's ability to impose tariffs. I think Trump is correct when he calls it 'fair trade' or 'equitable trade.'

Every country has the ability to impose tariffs.

In some cases- like NAFTA- we have negotiated treaties that prevent tariffs- but other than that we can impose any tariffs we want.

But unilaterally imposing 25% tariff on all steel imports- in order to protect American industry is not 'free trade'- except in George Orwell speak.

So who uses our military might for protection- exactly?

Certainly South Korea and Japan and Israel.

But China doesn't- China would happily see us out of the China sea.

How are we going to 'tariff' everyone on earth exactly?

I said everyone on Earth that uses our military might. Which includes most of the countries on Earth.

Mark

Exactly how does China or India use our 'military might'?

And Russia- between the three of those countries they make up most of the land mass and people of the world.

What confuses you about this?

I said everyone on Earth that uses our military might. Which includes most of the countries on Earth.

Mark

I am not confused by your statement. I know what you are saying. I am saying that claim that most of the countries on earth uses our military might is pure fantasy.

So Germany, Japan, Poland, Great Britain, France, etc., etc., etc., don't use our military might as a shield against Russia and China?

We have 800 military bases in 70 countries.

Everyone knows that the US is the worlds policeman, everyone except you. it appears.

Mark
You really want a fully re-militarized Japan?

Germany, Poland and GB- along with the NATO countries all are part of a common defense- we also use their military as a shield against Russia.

None of them 'rely' on the United States as a 'shield' against China- because China is no military threat to any of them.

China is a military threat to its neighbors in SE Asia- and certainly Taiwan, South Korea and Japan rely upon our military. Of course if we didn't support them militarily- China would be happy to bring them into its orbit.

We certainly have bases in 70 countries around the world. Out of 195 countries. So again- not by any measurement is the United States shielding most countries in the world.

And as far as being the world's policeman- didn't Trump campaign on ending that role?

And as far as being the world's policeman- didn't Trump campaign on ending that role?

He did, then he sent more troops to the middle east and wasted 100 million in missiles blowing up buildings at an airfield.

When China, Europe, and others end their tariffs and restrictions, we can then talk. Till then, Trump is trying to help American Workers out. And they haven't had much help in many years. The Globalists have decimated them. So many quality American jobs have been lost. So i'm grateful we finally have a US President looking out for American Citizens again. Good on Trump.
Their tariffs harm them and help us. The EU has 200 million more people than us, but a lower GDP. That’s in large part because they have higher tariffs and subsidies. Wealth destroyers.

You rubes need to stop pointing to shitty countries and saying you want us to be like them. It won’t convince me to support your tariffs.

Nothing can match the awful decimation Globalists have wrought upon American Workers. It's time to help them out for a change. China, Europe and others have always implemented tariffs and restrictions. They've been doing it for many years. Time for free and fair trade. Go Trump!

And by 'free and fair trade' you mean America unilaterally imposing tariff's to protect favored American industries at the expense of other American industries- i.e. instead of Capitalism.

For example, an American car going to China pays 25% import duty, but a Chinese car coming to the US only pays 2.5%, a tenfold difference

Another one:

Also, no US auto company is allowed to own even 50% of their own factory in China, but there are five 100% China-owned EV auto companies in the US

Mark

We could absolutely raise the tax on Chinese cars to 25%- and that would actually not be protectionist- and would actually help American manufacturers.

But instead- we are slapping a 25% tax on steel- so American car manufacturers will have a harder time competing with Chinese, and German, and Japanese cars.

But..but, tariffs are bad. Unless they aren't.

Mark

Mark

Exactly how does China or India use our 'military might'?

And Russia- between the three of those countries they make up most of the land mass and people of the world.

What confuses you about this?

Mark

I am not confused by your statement. I know what you are saying. I am saying that claim that most of the countries on earth uses our military might is pure fantasy.

So Germany, Japan, Poland, Great Britain, France, etc., etc., etc., don't use our military might as a shield against Russia and China?

We have 800 military bases in 70 countries.

Everyone knows that the US is the worlds policeman, everyone except you. it appears.

Mark
You really want a fully re-militarized Japan?

Germany, Poland and GB- along with the NATO countries all are part of a common defense- we also use their military as a shield against Russia.

None of them 'rely' on the United States as a 'shield' against China- because China is no military threat to any of them.

China is a military threat to its neighbors in SE Asia- and certainly Taiwan, South Korea and Japan rely upon our military. Of course if we didn't support them militarily- China would be happy to bring them into its orbit.

We certainly have bases in 70 countries around the world. Out of 195 countries. So again- not by any measurement is the United States shielding most countries in the world.

If America sunk into the ocean tomorrow, tell me what would happen?

Mark

Another one:

Mark

link?

Elon Musk Makes Trump's Case for Tariffs: No Level Playing Field with China | Breitbart

Mark

And BTW, for those who posted fake numbers about China only sending us 2% of our steel, fuck off. China makes HALF of the steel produced in the world and trans-ships a lot of it to us through other countries. The real number of Chink steel sent to the US is 25%. If Canuckistan does what we demand on NAFTA, they come off the list...the EU and the rest.....starve for all we care, bitches.

I wouldn't believe you if you told me the sun was coming up tomorrow. You fuck off you little liar.

in a handful of years, America will be engulfed by the economic tsunami that is China if we dont act fast.

from 2001 to 2016, America lost 10 million jobs to China.

Let's see 500 jobs gained but 180,000 risk losing their jobs because of these tariffs. Even with additional steelworkers employed, there will still be a 140,000 net loss in jobs.

I am not a great mathematician like all these pro-Trumpers are, but it seems to me that the American people are getting a raw deal with these tariffs.

However, in the Trumpian age of alternative facts, where up is down and round is square, losing more jobs than you gain by ill-thought out policies is considered a win.

How Many American Jobs Could Be Lost Thanks to Trump's Steel and Aluminum Tariffs
All bullshit. The Trade Partnership from which you "source" this spewage is a globalist leftist think tank that strives for a single world economy. Only communist pukes like these clowns could spin manufacturing our own steel into job loss when, in actually, will net huge gains in the US economy.

What you are smoking is something that is illegal. It will not net gains for the economy. Companies that make their product in the US and sell them overseas will find themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Their foreign competitors will figure out how much more the tariffs will add to their prices and undercut them. That means they will have to produce less of their product or move overseas. Larry Kudlow is a Republican and he says the same thing.

Wow, a US President actually looking out for American Citizens?! That hasn't happened in awhile. WTG Trump! :clap:

United States Steel Corp. said it would restart a blast furnace in Illinois to handle the higher demand it expects from President Donald Trump’s proposed tariffs on foreign steel.

The steelmaker said it also plans to call 500 employees back to work at the Granite City mill. U.S. Steel idled its blast furnaces there two years ago as a flood of cheap imports pushed down domestic steel prices. Steel producers have been hurt in recent years by increasing competition from foreign competitors, particularly China, that have ramped up production at lower prices...

U.S. Steel to Restart Illinois Plant Operations Amid Trump’s Tariff Plans
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®
Donald J. Trump is the greatest President since FDR. He gets it. As a steelworker he is the first President to stand up for the American worker.

Wow, a US President actually looking out for American Citizens?! That hasn't happened in awhile. WTG Trump! :clap:

United States Steel Corp. said it would restart a blast furnace in Illinois to handle the higher demand it expects from President Donald Trump’s proposed tariffs on foreign steel.

The steelmaker said it also plans to call 500 employees back to work at the Granite City mill. U.S. Steel idled its blast furnaces there two years ago as a flood of cheap imports pushed down domestic steel prices. Steel producers have been hurt in recent years by increasing competition from foreign competitors, particularly China, that have ramped up production at lower prices...

DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

I wonder why that plant couldn't compete with Canada steel?
Doesn’t matter. Big gubmint is forcing people to buy from this plant now. Maybe they’ll hire some of the people that get laid off from manufacturing because of this tariff.
You dumb assed liberals don’t get it. Social justice whining and gay marriage don’t pay the bills. I was and always will be a steelworker. My plant closed...went to China.

Let's see 500 jobs gained but 180,000 risk losing their jobs because of these tariffs. Even with additional steelworkers employed, there will still be a 140,000 net loss in jobs.

I am not a great mathematician like all these pro-Trumpers are, but it seems to me that the American people are getting a raw deal with these tariffs.

However, in the Trumpian age of alternative facts, where up is down and round is square, losing more jobs than you gain by ill-thought out policies is considered a win.

How Many American Jobs Could Be Lost Thanks to Trump's Steel and Aluminum Tariffs
All bullshit. The Trade Partnership from which you "source" this spewage is a globalist leftist think tank that strives for a single world economy. Only communist pukes like these clowns could spin manufacturing our own steel into job loss when, in actually, will net huge gains in the US economy.

What you are smoking is something that is illegal. It will not net gains for the economy. Companies that make their product in the US and sell them overseas will find themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Their foreign competitors will figure out how much more the tariffs will add to their prices and undercut them. That means they will have to produce less of their product or move overseas. Larry Kudlow is a Republican and he says the same thing.
Sure. Good paying jobs and more taxes are bad for the economy. What a fucking moron.

A little protectionism might just be a good thing. We need to maintain our ability to produce steel and Al. Also, cheep prices are only good for those that have good jobs.

If the Globalists are upset, you know it's a great move by Trump. It's time to help American Workers out for a change. They've been completely thrown overboard by US Globalists. It's about time they got some help.
Just get your excuses ready when a year from now the economy has been hit with layoffs, unemployment and inflation. Fat lot of "help" it's gonna do us, is what the economists say.
Economists have no pride or patriotism. They honor nothing but the markets. They are scum.

DRUDGE REPORT 2018®
Carrier plant bringing back jobs 2.0 :rofl:
Why don’t you go to North Korea if you hate America so much?

Those tariffs are not going to last long, the last time it was less than a year and a half or so under Bush in 2002. Could be we'll find out shortly that Canada and Mexico will be exempted if and when the NAFTA is renegotiated. And if the other affected countries agree to stop accepting heavily subsidized Chinese steel into their countries. But too many other jobs could be lost if these tariffs are allowed to continue for very long. Consider what happened when Bush imposed his tariffs on steel:

“Every U.S. state experienced employment losses from higher steel costs,” a 2003 analysis prepared for the nonprofit Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition Foundation determined. In total, it estimated that 200,000 American jobs — a larger number than the entire steel industry employed at the time — were lost as a result."

AND:

" But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk five million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 percent to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but the‎ steel and aluminum users and consumers lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes. Some of those five million jobs will be put in harm’s way. If they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down. Since so many of the things Americans consumers buy today are made of steel or aluminum, a 25 percent tariff may get passed on to consumers at the cash register. This is a regressive tax on low income families. "

I think the risk of lost jobs is not as high as some suggest, but the negative aspects are not as insignificant as others say either. However, this may be a case of Trump's negotiating tactics to get better trade deals.
Our nation wins in the long run.

Those tariffs are not going to last long, the last time it was less than a year and a half or so under Bush in 2002. Could be we'll find out shortly that Canada and Mexico will be exempted if and when the NAFTA is renegotiated. And if the other affected countries agree to stop accepting heavily subsidized Chinese steel into their countries. But too many other jobs could be lost if these tariffs are allowed to continue for very long. Consider what happened when Bush imposed his tariffs on steel:

“Every U.S. state experienced employment losses from higher steel costs,” a 2003 analysis prepared for the nonprofit Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition Foundation determined. In total, it estimated that 200,000 American jobs — a larger number than the entire steel industry employed at the time — were lost as a result."

AND:

" But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk five million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 percent to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but the‎ steel and aluminum users and consumers lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes. Some of those five million jobs will be put in harm’s way. If they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down. Since so many of the things Americans consumers buy today are made of steel or aluminum, a 25 percent tariff may get passed on to consumers at the cash register. This is a regressive tax on low income families. "

I think the risk of lost jobs is not as high as some suggest, but the negative aspects are not as insignificant as others say either. However, this may be a case of Trump's negotiating tactics to get better trade deals.
Our nation wins in the long run.

Let's hope so, but it's too soon to tell.

Forum List

Back