Graduation

Study Finds High School Diploma Is Largely Meaningless -- April 2004 Education Reporter

Too bad all these kids are lied to about the value of their HS diploma

If you are going to join the military, there is a great value to having a HS diploma.

If you have a HS diploma, you must score 35 or better on the ASVAB to be considered eligible for enlistment.

If you DON'T have a HS diploma, you must first be screened on a HP3 profile (High Performance Predictor Profile), be approved for enlistment by the CO of the NRD, and score 50 or better on the ASVAB, and have a GED.

Why was it so hard for dropouts to join? The military feels that if a person is willing to stick it out for 4 years of HS, they have a good chance of completing their enlistment. If they are dropouts, the chances go down significantly.

Yes, there IS value in a HS diploma.

And if you're not going into the military? which btw most graduates do not

and personally I'd take a kid with a GED over a HS grad because we know those tests aren't graded on a curve

Where is this curve you keep talking about? Haven't you heard of standardized testing? Our end of course exams are designed by the same company that does the ACT. They are not easy and there is no "curve".

Study Finds High School Diploma Is Largely Meaningless -- April 2004 Education Reporter

If you are going to join the military, there is a great value to having a HS diploma.

If you have a HS diploma, you must score 35 or better on the ASVAB to be considered eligible for enlistment.

If you DON'T have a HS diploma, you must first be screened on a HP3 profile (High Performance Predictor Profile), be approved for enlistment by the CO of the NRD, and score 50 or better on the ASVAB, and have a GED.

Why was it so hard for dropouts to join? The military feels that if a person is willing to stick it out for 4 years of HS, they have a good chance of completing their enlistment. If they are dropouts, the chances go down significantly.

and personally I'd take a kid with a GED over a HS grad because we know those tests aren't graded on a curve

To get into any kind of secondary school, they generally require a HS diploma.

And while you personally would take a kid with a GED over a diploma, hate to tell you, but most other places won't.

Universities that Accept the GED

Thousands of traditional campus-based colleges and universities accept the GED as equivalent to a high school diploma. Below is a list of the most prestigious ones.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • University of Southern California
  • New York University
  • Arizona State University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

Really? That might be what the website says is required to apply, but I guarantee you there are few students with a GED if any! The average GPA at Florida for high school graduates entering the school is closer to a 4.0 than you can imagine.

My nephew was Valedictorian of his high school class and he is an "average" student at Florida.

Only 48% of applicants are admitted.

They usually have an SAT score of over 1200 and an ACT composite of 27 or higher.

The chances of someone with a GED making that are about as common as hen's teeth.

I never understood the need for these ridiculous ceremonies.

graduating high school isn't a big deal

For some kids it is.

Not for anyone.

Yes, for some it very much is.

No it's a minor thing blown out of proportion
and certainly not worth sitting through a boring ceremony wearing a plastic cape and a stupid hat

You must not be aware that there are still places that when a student graduates from high school, they may very well be the first one in the family to accomplish that feat!

Not much of a feat
and still doesn't warrant a tedious ceremony and wearing that stupid hat

And while you personally would take a kid with a GED over a diploma, hate to tell you, but most other places won't.

Thousands of traditional campus-based colleges and universities accept the GED as equivalent to a high school diploma. Below is a list of the most prestigious ones.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

Really? That might be what the website says is required to apply, but I guarantee you there are few students with a GED if any! The average GPA at Florida for high school graduates entering the school is closer to a 4.0 than you can imagine.

My nephew was Valedictorian of his high school class and he is an "average" student at Florida.

They usually have an SAT score of over 1200 and an ACT composite of 27 or higher.

The chances of someone with a GED making that are about as common as hen's teeth.

and yet 48% of college students never graduate

For some kids it is.

Not for anyone.

and certainly not worth sitting through a boring ceremony wearing a plastic cape and a stupid hat

You must not be aware that there are still places that when a student graduates from high school, they may very well be the first one in the family to accomplish that feat!

Not much of a feat

Is there a reason you are insisting on being ignorant?

Not for anyone.

Not much of a feat

As I said I know all about graduation ceremonies I was forced to go to quite a few and I skipped 3 of my own

For some kids it is.

Not for anyone.

Not much of a feat

Then don't go and let everyone else enjoy themselves! Stop being an ass just for the purpose of improving your reputation!

Not much of a feat

As I said I know all about graduation ceremonies I was forced to go to quite a few and I skipped 3 of my own

You skipped kindergarten, 5th grade and 8th grade graduations? Makes sense I guess.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

If we let everyone with GEDs in that might approach 90%!

Not for anyone.

Not much of a feat

Then don't go and let everyone else enjoy themselves! Stop being an ass just for the purpose of improving your reputation!

You actually think I give a shit about reputation points on an anonymous message board?

I skipped my own graduation ceremonies for HS and 2 for college and you think I need validation from a bunch of anonymous internet posters

Wow that's the funniest thing I've heard today

Not much of a feat

You skipped kindergarten, 5th grade and 8th grade graduations? Makes sense I guess.
when I was a kid we didn't have graduation ceremonies for moving between grades at elementary school because those things don't warrant ceremonies

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

It takes a lot more to get a GED on your own than it does to show up at HS because you are forced to.

and I guess the GED ain't so easy since Ivy league grads can't pass it

Ivy League Grads Can’t Pass the New GED

Well. I'm happy for you Unk.

Good job! :thup:

Leave it to a real douchebag to denigrate kids that struggle with home problems and school and make it. :lame2:

Last I knew, you have to have at least 3.87 GPA to get into UF. It's a good school.

Not much of a feat

As I said I know all about graduation ceremonies ...

No, you don't.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

It takes a lot more to get a GED on your own than it does to show up at HS because you are forced to.

Wrong

Not much of a feat

You actually think I give a shit about reputation points on an anonymous message board?

I skipped my own graduation ceremonies for HS and 2 for college and you think I need validation from a bunch of anonymous internet posters

Wow that's the funniest thing I've heard today

No, obviously don't care about your reputation or you would not be acting like a flaming asshole. Your ridiculous opinion has been noted. Just leave the thread.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

Liberals go to Ivy League schools, so it is no wonder.

You know, I don't really recall if I had a graduation ceremony when I went from Jr. to High School, but that didn't really matter, because I was still going to school, just in a different area.

However.....................when I graduated from High School, that WAS a major turning point in my life, because I was now 18, able to work, able to vote, and had to register for the draft. Well, because the prospect of college was out, I figured my best option was to join the military.

Yes, graduation from high school is a MAJOR turning point in a person's life and should be celebrated accordingly.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

How long did it take you to pass it?

If you didn't take it, how do you know?

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • New York University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

So?

Wrong
then why can't Ivy league grad pass the GED?

Forum List

Back