Government shutdown looms

Does it ever bother you that your side hasn't had an original argument for the past 100 years? Does it bother you to know that your unoriginal argument is blatantly false?

Does it ever bother you that your side hasn't had an original argument for the past 100 years? Does it bother you to know that your unoriginal argument is blatantly false?

The Republicans are fighting policy under the guise of being concerned with money being spent. They are a bunch of hypocritical liars and they care about their agenda and not what's good for the country. And those tea baggers!!! So much stupidity in one group. It's just amazing.

What policy are we fighting other than this spend with no thought about our children or granchildren policy?

U.S. SEN TOM HARKIN:

“This is not about deficit reduction. This is all about ideology."

“House Republicans are taking a meat ax to programs for the middle class, and especially our senior citizens – everything from cancer research to Pell Grants to Medicare. It’s the same game plan: Give huge tax cuts to the wealthy, and give budget cuts to the middle class and the most vulnerable people in our society, including seniors and people with disabilities."

“This new tea party budget proposal gives new meaning to the term extreme and it represents an assault on the middle class in Iowa and around the country that is breathtaking both in both scope and depth. It could not come at a worse time for working Americans, who are already under enormous strain."

“The American people will not stand for this unwise, unbalanced, unfair assault on their economic security and way of life."

Harkin added that the proposal:

“Eliminates Medicare, creating a new voucher program with seniors paying out-of-pocket for many life-saving health care costs. This would raise premiums and cut benefits for 25 million seniors."

“Reopens the prescription drug donut hole, requiring seniors to pay $3,600 more for prescription drugs."

“Block-grants Medicaid and cuts $1 trillion in health care services, which would end vital services that seniors and disabled Americans depend on like coverage for nursing homes and home health aides. By shifting costs to states, this would worsen state budget deficits and lead to higher property taxes.”

Iowa reaction to Republican federal budget cut ideas | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

I think Senator Harkin expressed it perfectly. The Republican leadership in this country is just scum now. They are totally responsible for the birth of the tea party. And the tea party will be their undoing.

Don't fear, little sheep. The sun will still rise tomorrow even if the government is closed.

Did the Democrats in the last Congress even bother to present a bill? I don't seem to recall them doing their job.

So, since they weren't interested when they were supposed to do this (prior to 1 Oct 2010) I say to hell with them and that they should just shut up and not even vote on the budget that they failed to do.

And yes if the Government shuts down there is no spin to it they failed to do their job last year and now it has to be done the hard way. I wonder if they will pass a budget for next year?

The Baggers don't want a budget because they don't want a Government. They want everyone carrying a gun and protecting themselves, putting out their own fires, and going house to house and enforcing their own moral standards. That would thrill the Tea Baggers.

Sounds good to me. Being self reliant. That's what made this country great in the first place.

Which is EXACTLY why the government inposed heavy tariffs on imported goods for the first 150 years of this nation's existence.

So we would have industrial SELF RELIANCE.

What a shame both parties decided they're rather have a very wealthy capital class and a weak overall economy instead, eh?

Last edited:
I have to laugh at these cry baby libs whining about obstructionist republicans when they had the presidency and a super majority in congress. :lol: They forget it wasn't the republicans holding up obamacare and looking for dirty backroom deals it was the democrats.

How long did the Dems have a supermajority?

until kennedy died and the democrats failed to keep the seat in the most liberal state in the country. tell me how does one lose a kennedy seat in kennedy country? you have to fuck up really bad for that one.

I think the writing was on the wall when the Democrats actually referred to it as 'Kennedy's seat'. It was not 'Kennedy's seat', it is the seat of the people of Mass. Their own arrogance cost them that seat. And, fortunately, the people had a decent alternative in Scott Brown. I like Scott. Don't always agree with him but he votes as a representative of his constituents and that is a lesson for all our representatives. They should not vote party, they should vote in accordance with those who sent them to DC.

How long did the Dems have a supermajority?

until kennedy died and the democrats failed to keep the seat in the most liberal state in the country. tell me how does one lose a kennedy seat in kennedy country? you have to fuck up really bad for that one.

I think the writing was on the wall when the Democrats actually referred to it as 'Kennedy's seat'. It was not 'Kennedy's seat', it is the seat of the people of Mass. Their own arrogance cost them that seat. And, fortunately, the people had a decent alternative in Scott Brown. I like Scott. Don't always agree with him but he votes as a representative of his constituents and that is a lesson for all our representatives. They should not vote party, they should vote in accordance with those who sent them to DC.

Keep in mind that the Republicans also dragged the Al Franken election out for months refusing to allow him to be seated. Super majority only lasted six months

The Republicans are fighting policy under the guise of being concerned with money being spent. They are a bunch of hypocritical liars and they care about their agenda and not what's good for the country. And those tea baggers!!! So much stupidity in one group. It's just amazing.

So is close to 15 trillion in debt good for our country? Let's talk about hypocrites shall we I suppose you've forgotten all about the Left screaming and crying with bush and his 400 billion debt I guess it slipped your mind how the left demanded it be payed back immediately.

So Obama racks up 15 trillion in debt and nary a word is uttered by the left yes let's talk about hypocrites.

Democrats, Republicans fail to reach budget deal - CNN.com

We can thank the Tea Baggers. They have dug their heals in and are not moving. Compromise if for sissys...

Bring on the shutdown.... I have no problem with it. They did it in th nineties... universes did not collide.
Shutting down the government, as Boehner said will cost the government more money than we save because we are interrupting government contracts. Most, if not all furloughed workers will still collect pay for days off. Government contracts will be paid even though no work is done. However there will be a lot of pissed offed people, both individuals and businesses that have ongoing activities that requires government services.

A new Washington Post poll suggests a shutdown could hurt the public image of Republicans more than Democrats. Sixty-two percent of respondents said they thought Republicans were playing politics while only 31 percent said Republicans were honestly trying to solve the budget impasse.

That would be because the MSM doesn't present the fact to the American public.
Fact is that the Democrats did not pass a budget for this year because they didn't want it to be on record before last Novembers elections. It didn't work...They still got their ass handed to them.

Bring on the shutdown.... I have no problem with it. They did it in th nineties... universes did not collide.
Shutting down the government, as Boehner said will cost the government more money than we save because we are interrupting government contracts. Most, if not all furloughed workers will still collect pay for days off. Government contracts will be paid even though no work is done. However there will be a lot of pissed offed people, both individuals and businesses that have ongoing activities that requires government services.

A new Washington Post poll suggests a shutdown could hurt the public image of Republicans more than Democrats. Sixty-two percent of respondents said they thought Republicans were playing politics while only 31 percent said Republicans were honestly trying to solve the budget impasse.

Fact is that the Democrats did not pass a budget for this year because they didn't want it to be on record before last Novembers elections. It didn't work...They still got their ass handed to them.

Then why didn't they pass one after the election but before the end of November? Seems to me like that would have been the smart thing to do despite the protests that would have come from the Republicans.

Immie

Then why didn't they pass one after the election but before the end of November? Seems to me like that would have been the smart thing to do despite the protests that would have come from the Republicans.

Immie

Thinking back to it, they tried. They took all 12 annual spending bills and attempted to package it into one massive "pay for everything and don't bother to read this" Bill.

Thankfully it was stopped or we might have added another 2 trillion to the debt by now...

That is if my memory serves me correctly....

This is the statement of the day

I think Senator Harkin expressed it perfectly. The Republican leadership in this country is just scum now. They are totally responsible for the birth of the tea party. And the tea party will be their undoing.

Thank you Rinata!

This is the statement of the day

Thank you Rinata!

Why is it that so many want to continue spending even more money that we simply do not have?

I heard a comment on the news last night that "Unessential Federal Workers" are being told to be prepared to stay home.

Which begs the question: If they are UNESSENTIAL, why they hell do they have government jobs in the first place?

Government shutdown looms???? I thought this was a post about the Government shutdown loons... i.e., Democrats.

I heard a comment on the news last night that "Unessential Federal Workers" are being told to be prepared to stay home.

Which begs the question: If they are UNESSENTIAL, why they hell do they have government jobs in the first place?

There are currently 68K of them in the TSA that need to be removed I can only guess the number at the HSA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/opinion/06wed1.html?_r=1

If their goal was to reduce spending, they would have accepted the Democrats’ offer to cut $33 billion out of the budget for the next six months — the same amount as Republican leaders had originally requested before Tea Party members forced them to double it earlier this year. As the president noted, that offer constitutes the largest cut to domestic discretionary spending in history.

The Tea Baggers are holding the GOP hostage. The GOP knows they will lose if there is a shut down, and yet the Baggers insist on just that. FRIGIN AMAZING!

Keep in mind that the Republicans also dragged the Al Franken election out for months refusing to allow him to be seated. Super majority only lasted six months

Oh, give me a break. You're fine when the Dems pull a stunt and bitch like a two year old when the GOP do. Such partisan bullshit is pathetic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/opinion/06wed1.html?_r=1

If their goal was to reduce spending, they would have accepted the Democrats’ offer to cut $33 billion out of the budget for the next six months — the same amount as Republican leaders had originally requested before Tea Party members forced them to double it earlier this year. As the president noted, that offer constitutes the largest cut to domestic discretionary spending in history.

The Tea Baggers are holding the GOP hostage. The GOP knows they will lose if there is a shut down, and yet the Baggers insist on just that. FRIGIN AMAZING!

Ok so this should be entertaining.....Why don't you tell us your thoughts on how the budget should be balanced or what steps you would take to curb the massive spending taking place.

Well, donchaknow: according to Joe Biden, we have to SPEND MORE MONEY to reduce the deficit.

Forum List

Back