Government shutdown looms

Why would we cut social security, medicare and medicade which provide a needed and necessary service to our nations people yet continue to fund defense, which seems more about turning a profit than providing real defense to our nation? Real Christians would such abhor a policy, denying the aged and/or infirm life supporting services and continuing to produce weapons designed to kill.
It might be understandable if the money spent on new, larger and more leathal means of killing were spent instead to protect our borders, our chemical plants, our water supply, our ports, our people.

Why haven't the members of Congress voted first to cut their salary and benefits? Isn't that a form of leadership? Why haven't supporters of war offered to pay for war (it's far easier to put a ribbon on ones bumber I suppose).

This entire debate is crap; it is a sad commentary on a nation which has lost its soul; avarice is a deady sin and seems to be the guiding force of the New Right.

I don't know if you think I want to cut services to the poor or elderly or not, but if you do, you would be wrong. There are plenty of other areas to cut including waste in the social services areas. Lots of waste throughout our government.

I've got no problem cutting the defense budget either, as long as you are not talking about cutting soldiers pay and expecting them to put their lives on the line in Iraq for minimum wage! Again, there are plenty of areas throughout our government to cut.

But, no one in Washington wants to stand up and say, we need to cut and we need to cut now. The time for playing games is over.

You are right, it is a sad commentary on our nation, but the right is no less guilty than the left.

Immie

No. You're wrong. Both parties may be complicite but the right is going after the poor, the aged, the infirm. Notice the issue of debt is new, and was rarely discussed and never with the ferver of the far right (tea baggers) during the Iraq fiasco, when we spent ten billion dollars a month on a war of choice. A war of choice which we continue to pay for today and will continue until the last brave American dies of the wounds s/he received in this stupid war.
Notice the issue of corporate welfare is never debated and often dismissed; the oil cartel continues to suck dollars from our treasury even as they report quarterly profits in the billions.
I belive your heart is in the right place Immie, unlike the callous conservatives and RW assholes who are willing to sacrifice the lives of others but not one cent of their own.

Why would we cut social security, medicare and medicade which provide a needed and necessary service to our nations people yet continue to fund defense, which seems more about turning a profit than providing real defense to our nation? Real Christians would such abhor a policy, denying the aged and/or infirm life supporting services and continuing to produce weapons designed to kill.
It might be understandable if the money spent on new, larger and more leathal means of killing were spent instead to protect our borders, our chemical plants, our water supply, our ports, our people.

Why haven't the members of Congress voted first to cut their salary and benefits? Isn't that a form of leadership? Why haven't supporters of war offered to pay for war (it's far easier to put a ribbon on ones bumber I suppose).

This entire debate is crap; it is a sad commentary on a nation which has lost its soul; avarice is a deady sin and seems to be the guiding force of the New Right.

I don't know if you think I want to cut services to the poor or elderly or not, but if you do, you would be wrong. There are plenty of other areas to cut including waste in the social services areas. Lots of waste throughout our government.

I've got no problem cutting the defense budget either, as long as you are not talking about cutting soldiers pay and expecting them to put their lives on the line in Iraq for minimum wage! Again, there are plenty of areas throughout our government to cut.

But, no one in Washington wants to stand up and say, we need to cut and we need to cut now. The time for playing games is over.

You are right, it is a sad commentary on our nation, but the right is no less guilty than the left.

Immie

No. You're wrong. Both parties may be complicite but the right is going after the poor, the aged, the infirm. Notice the issue of debt is new, and was rarely discussed and never with the ferver of the far right (tea baggers) during the Iraq fiasco, when we spent ten billion dollars a month on a war of choice. A war of choice which we continue to pay for today and will continue until the last brave American dies of the wounds s/he received in this stupid war.
Notice the issue of corporate welfare is never debated and often dismissed; the oil cartel continues to suck dollars from our treasury even as they report quarterly profits in the billions.
I belive your heart is in the right place Immie, unlike the callous conservatives and RW assholes who are willing to sacrifice the lives of others but not one cent of their own.

Well heck you forgot to mention that they kill puppies and stomp on bunnies and definitely eat babies. The only question is what are you tools on the left going to do? the ball is in your court and there is a cost associated with doing nothing.

Immie

Yet, I think our politicians in Washington, whether left or right, are not at all willing to do a doggone thing. Democrats talk about aid to the poor, but it is all talk. They think as long as they keep saying they will protect the poor that is all they must do. One of my big pet peeves is the idea that the only thing they must do is make sure those Welfare checks keep coming. I'm sorry, that doesn't solve the problem for the poor. Assistance needs to be given to get the poor out of the streets and into a work environment and that means things like daycare assistance for mothers who can't get back to work because going back to work would mean having to pay for daycare and their take home pay would end up being nothing when you subtract daycare expenses. Sending them a check every other week, doesn't solve the problem.

Democrats have the poor really believing that they care about them. Yet, what do they really do to help, except for pretending to put the brakes on conservatives who are at least honest about what they want to do?

Immie

Immie

Well heck you forgot to mention that they kill puppies and stomp on bunnies and definitely eat babies. The only question is what are you tools on the left going to do? the ball is in your court and there is a cost associated with doing nothing.

Tool of the left? You moron, infering that I'm left because I oppose neo-fascism and the evolving plutocracy makes you part of the problem, a fellow traveler of the anti-democratic, anti-republican (small 'd' and small 'r' is significant, even if you don't understand why) New Right.
The point made in re Citizens United is too, but I'm sure that's way over your head. But please continue to exercise your freedom to speak, to share your opinions, doing so makes it appear all on the far right are stupid - though we know some and their leaders are simply motivated by greed and lack empathy.

Last edited:

Tool of the left? You moron, infering that I'm left because I oppose neo-fascism and the evolving plutocracy makes you part of the problem, a fellow traveler of the anti-democratic, anti-republican (small 'd' and small 'r' is significant, even if you don't understand why) New Right.
The point made in re Citizens United is too, but I'm sure that's way over your head. But please continue to exercise your freedom to speak, to share your opinions, doing so makes it appear all on the far right are stupid - though we know some and their leaders are simply motivated by greed and lack empathy.

The Question stands despite your obvious partisanship what does the left plan on doing? Or is the question above your grasp.

We are at 15 trillion now and climbing.

The ball is squarely in the left's court the CBO projections fail at 2037 at being able to continue even now our dollar is now all but worthless in the world market because of the Insane spending of this administration strange tho how you don't mention that.

But hey you do go into great detail to explain how the Evil Right is going to eat babies and stomp on puppies so in that little contrived little world of yours you've found your White Whale good for you. I'll sit back and let explain what the plan is in that little world of yours K?

At least if the Government shuts down, Congress and the President will continue to get paid

The Question stands despite your obvious partisanship what does the left plan on doing? Or is the question above your grasp.

The ball is squarely in the left's court the CBO projections fail at 2037 at being able to continue even now our dollar is now all but worthless in the world market because of the Insane spending of this administration strange tho how you don't mention that.

But hey you do go into great detail to explain how the Evil Right is going to eat babies and stomp on puppies so in that little contrived little world of yours you've found your White Whale good for you. I'll sit back and let explain what the plan is in that little world of yours K?

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY OUT!
Give the wealthy another big tax break! That will totally eliminate the deficit! Sounds pretty simple to me...

Give the wealthy another big tax break! That will totally eliminate the deficit! Sounds pretty simple to me...

Think of all the jobs it would create!

Heck, many of the really wealthy would probably just voluntarily pay off a month or two of the deficit. They have done that before, haven't they?....I think...

At least if the Government shuts down, Congress and the President will continue to get paid

And they are the assholes who should not be paid because they put us in this mess.

I say we tax the politicians. Take 100% of their salaries and perks until they get the fucking message that we're sick and tired of their shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/opinion/06wed1.html?_r=1

The Tea Baggers are holding the GOP hostage. The GOP knows they will lose if there is a shut down, and yet the Baggers insist on just that. FRIGIN AMAZING!

Ok so this should be entertaining.....Why don't you tell us your thoughts on how the budget should be balanced or what steps you would take to curb the massive spending taking place.

Real patriots sacrifice their lives for their country. If conservatives, Republicans and Tea Baggers are patriots why won't they sacrifice a few dollars to save the country? Much as they are willing to send other peoples kids into harms way, they want others to sacrifice.
My plan, the Congress needs to pass a one time tax of 10% on all income tax due April
15; all of this revenue to be used to reduce our debt. Congress should also authorize war bonds, and issue paper bonds large enough for them to be place in the window of homes, the walls of an office or a car's bumber. Each bond showing how much the patriot gave to support our troops (of course the bond itself should pay no interest, but be payable at face value to the heirs of the patriot after their death).

I've already stated several times that I would gladly take a 10% cut in my retirement pay as long as it was across the board. And that means every Government check, every government program gets a 10% cut.

And if you really believe that we can simply have the rich pay more... Please watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661pi6K-8WQ]YouTube - EAT THE RICH![/ame]

Heck, many of the really wealthy would probably just voluntarily pay off a month or two of the deficit. They have done that before, haven't they?....I think...

Sure, they should volunteer their money to pay off a deficit created mostly by Spending to much on social Programs.

Sounds like a plan, Hell we only take 60% of their income now, why not a little more.

The government employees get 26 paychecks a year. That means that twice a year there is a third paycheck for a month. This year the first 3 paycheck month is April. Hmmm......

So isn't it clever how they have extended this bullshit long enough for everyone to get their first 2 paychecks and pay their April bills. But the next pay period for them will be that third check which, no doubt, the powers that be believe will not be missed.

The Republicans are fighting policy under the guise of being concerned with money being spent. They are a bunch of hypocritical liars and they care about their agenda and not what's good for the country. And those tea baggers!!! So much stupidity in one group. It's just amazing.

So is close to 15 trillion in debt good for our country? Let's talk about hypocrites shall we I suppose you've forgotten all about the Left screaming and crying with bush and his 400 billion debt I guess it slipped your mind how the left demanded it be payed back immediately.

So Obama racks up 15 trillion in debt and nary a word is uttered by the left yes let's talk about hypocrites.

That's right. Just turn it around and ignore the issue. Nobody said being 15 trillion in debt is a good thing. You either miss the entire point or you are ignoring it, like a good little stupid tea partier should.

This is the statement of the day

I think Senator Harkin expressed it perfectly. The Republican leadership in this country is just scum now. They are totally responsible for the birth of the tea party. And the tea party will be their undoing.

Thank you Rinata!

My pleasure, Jim. :)

The Republicans are fighting policy under the guise of being concerned with money being spent. They are a bunch of hypocritical liars and they care about their agenda and not what's good for the country. And those tea baggers!!! So much stupidity in one group. It's just amazing.

So is close to 15 trillion in debt good for our country? Let's talk about hypocrites shall we I suppose you've forgotten all about the Left screaming and crying with bush and his 400 billion debt I guess it slipped your mind how the left demanded it be payed back immediately.

So Obama racks up 15 trillion in debt and nary a word is uttered by the left yes let's talk about hypocrites.

That's right. Just turn it around and ignore the issue. Nobody said being 15 trillion in debt is a good thing. You either miss the entire point or you are ignoring it, like a good little stupid tea partier should.

You know, I don't give a flying fuck about who did what the last 50 years. We are now faced with more debt than we have money. We cannot pay off the debt if we taxed everyone who makes $250,000 100%. And you are worried about who gets the point?

What is your point? We have a small group in congress who get the point, who are trying to stop the insane spending, and you say they are wrong. So is this mad spending right? How can we justify this to our grandchildren?

So if the out of control spending isn't the point, what is?

New Topics

Forum List

Back