Government Should Teach Traditional Values

I don't want the gov't teaching or promoting any values, that is the job of the parents and family and nobody else. Some might include the church they belong to, but not the gov't under any circumstances.

So, a school should not promote "respect?"

I don't want the gov't teaching or promoting any values, that is the job of the parents and family and nobody else. Some might include the church they belong to, but not the gov't under any circumstances.

that isn't what anyone is talking about.

you know what they're referring to.

but nice snide answer. :thup:

Still waiting. Please define and list traditional American values:

1. Slavery
2. Bigotry
3. Extermination of indigenous people
4. ?

I couldn't have paid a shill to do a better job of illustrtrating why the real American values should be taught.

There is actually a certain weak-minded, bitter group of failures, a minority of the population, who come away from what is called education believing as Wry-boy does.

Wry...you and I should take this show on the road!

How about we call it Dolt and Deb! (See...I gave you top billing!)

that isn't what anyone is talking about.

you know what they're referring to.

but nice snide answer. :thup:

Respect is a value?

Wiseacre said he doesn't want gov't teaching ANY values.

I simply asked if he meant that respect was NOT a value........:eusa_angel:

1. Slavery
2. Bigotry
4. ?

I couldn't have paid a shill to do a better job of illustrtrating why the real American values should be taught.

There is actually a certain weak-minded, bitter group of failures, a minority of the population, who come away from what is called education believing as Wry-boy does.

How about Lie and Wry, and you may have top billing? BTW, you lost the debate. An ad hominem attack = a grade of failure; "F" in common parlance.

You may earn some credit if you will (can) answer the following:

What are Traditional American Values? (Hint) One might answer that our nation is the only nation in history to define itself as Judeo Christian. So, oh wise one, what does that mean in terms of mores/valuews and how does that fit within the historical background of the US?

schools do teach respect

Many right wingers never went to school long enough to know what it is exactly they teach.

Fig_57_-_men_4-yr_college_degrees.JPG

Fig_58_women_with_4-yr_college_degs.JPG

Reality called. It said its leg is getting tired from kicking your ass so often.

1. Slavery
2. Bigotry
4. Forced sterilization

Now, you have a point there...but why would you indict what appears to be your side of the aisle???

Doesn't seem that bright....oh, that explains it!

For those unaware, the Progressives, the liberals, were strongly in favor of forced sterilization and euthenasia.

Not the conservatives.

1. The most whitewashed of liberal iniquities is eugenics. The primary blurring is in ignoring the meaning of the term ‘eugenics:’ the use of state power to improve the racial, genetic, or biological health of the community.

2. “…the Progressive Era was also a time of vicious, state-sponsored racism. In fact, from the standpoint of African-American history, the Progressive Era qualifies as arguably the single worst period since Emancipation. The wholesale disfranchisement of Southern black voters occurred during these years, as did the rise and triumph of Jim Crow. Furthermore, as the Westminster College historian David W. Southern notes in his recent book," The Progressive Era and Race: Reform and Reaction, 1900-1917", the very worst of it--disfranchisement, segregation, race baiting, lynching--"went hand-in-hand with the most advanced forms of southern progressivism"… race-based pseudoscience that dominated educated opinion at the turn of the 20th century. One bestseller, Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race (1916), discussed the concept of "race suicide," the theory that inferior races were out-breeding their betters. President Theodore Roosevelt was one of many Progressives captivated by this notion: He opposed voting rights for African-American men, which were guaranteed by the 15th amendment, on the grounds that the black race was still in its adolescence. Such thinking, which emphasized "expert" opinion and advocated sweeping governmental power, fit perfectly within the Progressive worldview,” When bigots become reformers: the Progressive Era's shameful record on race | Reason | Find Articles

3. Madison Grant, eugenicist, was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism, “The Passing of the Great Race,” sold some million and a half copies, and played an active role in crafting strong immigration restriction and anti-miscegenation laws in the United States. Grant's works of "scientific racism" have been cited to demonstrate that many of the genocidal and eugenic ideas associated with the Third Reich did not arise specifically in Germany, and in fact that many of them had origins in other countries including the United States. Edwin Black: War Against the Weak. Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Four Walls Eight Windows: 2003, pp. 259, 273, 274-275, 296

a. Hitler wrote to the president of the American Eugenics Society to ask for a copy of his“The Case for Sterilization.” (Margaret Sanger and Sterilization)

b. The most revered of liberal icons, Oliver Wendell Holmes, concurred with eugenics, to the extent that he attempted to write it into the Constitution. . In 1927, a young unwed mother named Carrie Buck was sterilized against her will by order of the Supreme Court, decision (Buck v. Bell) written by Oliver Wendell Holmes, who said : ”The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes.” It turned out that she was not retarded, as the state had contended. Based on the Buck Decision, more than 60 thousand were operated on across the U.S. as late as the 1970’s. And the opinion was adopted in Germany, where, within a year, some 56 thousand German ‘patients’ had been sterilized.

c. The only vote against the state, in an 8-1 decision was the archconservative and only Catholic on the court, Pierce Butler. “Butler was a Roman Catholic and a Democrat, but was also, most importantly, a political conservative.” Pierce Butler

"Ultimately, 60,000 Americans were coercively sterilized — legally and extra-legally. Many never discovered the truth until decades later. Those who actively supported eugenics include America's most progressive figures: Woodrow Wilson, Margaret Sanger and Oliver Wendell Holmes."
War Against The Weak - Home Page

I could add so much more...but I thank you for giving me the opportunity to demonstrate the depredations of the Left.

1. Slavery
2. Bigotry
4. ?

How about Lie and Wry, and you may have top billing? BTW, you lost the debate. An ad hominem attack = a grade of failure; "F" in common parlance.

What are Traditional American Values? (Hint) One might answer that our nation is the only nation in history to define itself as Judeo Christian. So, oh wise one, what does that mean in terms of mores/valuews and how does that fit within the historical background of the US?

1. "How about Lie and Wry,..."
Oh, man...that was funny! Good stuff, Wry!

2. "BTW, you lost the debate. An ad hominem attack = a grade of failure; "F" ...
Hey...how come you get to do the grading....?

3. ....but if you do,
"How about Lie and Wry, and you may have top billing..."
I guess you failed, too...huh?

Daveboy, you never get it. Look at the chart and consider the cost of college and why one might register as a Republican and why one might register as a Democrat.

The answer of course is those who grow up in a family whose work is in white collar jobs, banking, insurance, brokerage companies, etc. seek degrees in Business, Finance, Marketing, etc.

Those who grow up in families where the bread winner is in the trades or in a union job may apprentice, attend a trade school/community college or join the military.

1. "How about Lie and Wry,..."
Oh, man...that was funny! Good stuff, Wry!

2. "BTW, you lost the debate. An ad hominem attack = a grade of failure; "F" ...
Hey...how come you get to do the grading....?

3. ....but if you do,
"How about Lie and Wry, and you may have top billing..."
I guess you failed, too...huh?

You have the right to grade too. And now, since you could not or would not answer the question I will (with my bleeding heart) give you an incomplete. As I'm off to the 9er game (v. Tampa, where my sister-in-law and her hubby reside) I must take my leave, allowing you all afternoon to work on you're answer. Spelling and grammar will not be graded but will be considered in terms of your reasoning.

What are the traditional values of our nation?

Bigotry and slavery were two, a manifest destiny to annihilate the indigenous people of North America another. Child labor, low wages and unsafe working conditions, polluting our air and water and economic panics on a regular basis. Women denied the franchise to vote, sectional rivalry; a civil war and a life of labor ending one day in a poor house.

And we learned and grew from these things and rose to be the greatest nation on earth in spite of those things.

Are you Barack's opening act for his World Apology Tour II??

:eusa_whistle:

That does seem to be the drumbeat of the left, including our Fearless Leader, who hold up the negatives of the past as sins of the present even as they scorn the very values that ended those same negatives.

1. Slavery
2. Bigotry
4. Forced sterilization

Now, you have a point there...but why would you indict what appears to be your side of the aisle???

For those unaware, the Progressives, the liberals, were strongly in favor of forced sterilization and euthenasia.

Not the conservatives.

1. The most whitewashed of liberal iniquities is eugenics. The primary blurring is in ignoring the meaning of the term ‘eugenics:’ the use of state power to improve the racial, genetic, or biological health of the community.

I don't know how to break this to you but the United States was a leader in the Eugenics movement and that includes your little conservative group.

2. “…the Progressive Era was also a time of vicious, state-sponsored racism. In fact, from the standpoint of African-American history, the Progressive Era qualifies as arguably the single worst period since Emancipation. The wholesale disfranchisement of Southern black voters occurred during these years, as did the rise and triumph of Jim Crow.
Furthermore, as the Westminster College historian David W. Southern notes in his recent book," The Progressive Era and Race: Reform and Reaction, 1900-1917", the very worst of it--disfranchisement, segregation, race baiting, lynching--"went hand-in-hand with the most advanced forms of southern progressivism"… race-based pseudoscience that dominated educated opinion at the turn of the 20th century. One bestseller, Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race (1916), discussed the concept of "race suicide," the theory that inferior races were out-breeding their betters. President Theodore Roosevelt was one of many Progressives captivated by this notion: He opposed voting rights for African-American men, which were guaranteed by the 15th amendment, on the grounds that the black race was still in its adolescence. Such thinking, which emphasized "expert" opinion and advocated sweeping governmental power, fit perfectly within the Progressive worldview,” When bigots become reformers: the Progressive Era's shameful record on race | Reason | Find Articles
[/QUOTE]
The above link is a book review. :lol:

. Madison Grant, eugenicist, was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism, “The Passing of the Great Race,” sold some million and a half copies, and played an active role in crafting strong immigration restriction and anti-miscegenation laws in the United States. Grant's works of "scientific racism" have been cited to demonstrate that many of the genocidal and eugenic ideas associated with the Third Reich did not arise specifically in Germany, and in fact that many of them had origins in other countries including the United States. Edwin Black: War Against the Weak. Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Four Walls Eight Windows: 2003, pp. 259, 273, 274-275, 296

Do you know this group? About Us I bet you do. Do you know what kind of research they fund? I bet you do.

Do you know who founded it? I bet you haven't a clue.
The Founders

You will encounter those founders on pp. 259, 273, 274-275, 296 of Edwin Black: War Against the Weak. Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Four Walls Eight Windows: 2003. I own this book. Madison is not a "good guy" but let's not kid ourselves here.

a. Hitler wrote to the president of the American Eugenics Society to ask for a copy of his“The Case for Sterilization.” (Margaret Sanger and Sterilization)

And he did too send a letter to the author, a little bit more
The Master Race - Boston Magazine

b. The most revered of liberal icons, Oliver Wendell Holmes, concurred with eugenics, to the extent that he attempted to write it into the Constitution. . In 1927, a young unwed mother named Carrie Buck was sterilized against her will by order of the Supreme Court, decision (Buck v. Bell) written by Oliver Wendell Holmes, who said : ”The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes.” It turned out that she was not retarded, as the state had contended. Based on the Buck Decision, more than 60 thousand were operated on across the U.S. as late as the 1970’s. And the opinion was adopted in Germany, where, within a year, some 56 thousand German ‘patients’ had been sterilized

c. The only vote against the state, in an 8-1 decision was the archconservative and only Catholic on the court, Pierce Butler. “Butler was a Roman Catholic and a Democrat, but was also, most importantly, a political conservative.” Pierce Butler

"Ultimately, 60,000 Americans were coercively sterilized — legally and extra-legally. Many never discovered the truth until decades later. Those who actively supported eugenics include America's most progressive figures: Woodrow Wilson, Margaret Sanger and Oliver Wendell Holmes."

I could add so much more...but I thank you for giving me the opportunity to demonstrate the depredations of the Left.

You lack critically thinking skills and are short on historical knowledge. Now go back and read the information that is on the War Against the Weak. I think you tossed your cookies the first time that you read it. It might actually be better for you if you bought the book. Or at this point, any book located in the non-fiction section of your local library. You will find your conservatives. It will keep you honest.

Last edited:
4. Forced sterilization

Not the conservatives.

I don't know how to break this to you but the United States was a leader in the Eugenics movement and that includes your little conservative group.

Furthermore, as the Westminster College historian David W. Southern notes in his recent book," The Progressive Era and Race: Reform and Reaction, 1900-1917", the very worst of it--disfranchisement, segregation, race baiting, lynching--"went hand-in-hand with the most advanced forms of southern progressivism"… race-based pseudoscience that dominated educated opinion at the turn of the 20th century. One bestseller, Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race (1916), discussed the concept of "race suicide," the theory that inferior races were out-breeding their betters. President Theodore Roosevelt was one of many Progressives captivated by this notion: He opposed voting rights for African-American men, which were guaranteed by the 15th amendment, on the grounds that the black race was still in its adolescence. Such thinking, which emphasized "expert" opinion and advocated sweeping governmental power, fit perfectly within the Progressive worldview,” When bigots become reformers: the Progressive Era's shameful record on race | Reason | Find Articles
The above link is a book review. :lol:

. Madison Grant, eugenicist, was responsible for one of the most famous works of scientific racism, “The Passing of the Great Race,” sold some million and a half copies, and played an active role in crafting strong immigration restriction and anti-miscegenation laws in the United States. Grant's works of "scientific racism" have been cited to demonstrate that many of the genocidal and eugenic ideas associated with the Third Reich did not arise specifically in Germany, and in fact that many of them had origins in other countries including the United States. Edwin Black: War Against the Weak. Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Four Walls Eight Windows: 2003, pp. 259, 273, 274-275, 296

Do you know this group? About Us I bet you do. Do you know what kind of research they fund? I bet you do.

Do you know who founded it? I bet you haven't a clue.
The Founders

You will encounter those founders on pp. 259, 273, 274-275, 296 of Edwin Black: War Against the Weak. Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, Four Walls Eight Windows: 2003. I own this book. Madison is not a "good guy" but let's not kid ourselves here.

And he did too send a letter to the author, a little bit more
The Master Race - Boston Magazine

b. The most revered of liberal icons, Oliver Wendell Holmes, concurred with eugenics, to the extent that he attempted to write it into the Constitution. . In 1927, a young unwed mother named Carrie Buck was sterilized against her will by order of the Supreme Court, decision (Buck v. Bell) written by Oliver Wendell Holmes, who said : ”The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes.” It turned out that she was not retarded, as the state had contended. Based on the Buck Decision, more than 60 thousand were operated on across the U.S. as late as the 1970’s. And the opinion was adopted in Germany, where, within a year, some 56 thousand German ‘patients’ had been sterilized

You lack critically thinking skills and are short on historical knowledge. Now go back and read the information that is on the War Against the Weak. I think you tossed your cookies the first time that you read it. It might actually be better for you if you bought the book. Or at this point, any book located in the non-fiction section of your local library. You will find your conservatives. It will keep you honest.[/QUOTE]

1. So, we agree....the Progressives, and the Progressive Era....represent the very worst aspects of America and American history.
Very good.

2. The modern progressives? Clinton and Obama....

3. Now, your homework: learn how to use the quotes in your posts..

You are ignorant and lack the capacity to critically think. That is your problem. Not mine.
See if your nearest library is still open. Hurry.

You are ignorant and lack the capacity to critically think. That is your problem. Not mine.

1. So, we agree....the Progressives, and the Progressive Era....represent the very worst aspects of America and American history.
Very good.

Did you want to say 'sorry'?

Very good.

Did you want to say 'sorry'?

I'm not sorry about anything. You pulled from an obvious right wing site. You utilized book reviews rather than having read the material. Now, go fuck yourself.

Forum List

Back