Government killing private charity

Actually things like that do happen.
NOt too often now because of zoning and community regs though.

Just think if the regs did not exist.
But you are perhaps to young for that?

Maybe just grew up too wealthy to appreciate that. We lived in the hood growing up and similarly to the trend of this thread, people only approve of code enforcement in middle class or better neighborhoods. The slightly more privileged think that shade-tree repair shops, dog, cat and chicken raising, perpetual yard sales, hoarding, scrapping and neighborhood stereo broadcasting is desired in the hood.

They're in the position to tisk, tisk the govt's 'oppressive' codes because they are well enforced in their neighborhood. They just ignore the oppressive value of a front-lawn soup kitchen at your neighbor's house or the cavalcade of ghetto lifestyle described above.

I do not approve of code enforcement anywhere. I especially despise the codes adopted by home owner associations that make laundry lines a violation. Can anyone explain the rationale behind making the greenest method of drying clothes impossible for anyone to use?

It's unsightly and "ghetto".

Maybe just grew up too wealthy to appreciate that. We lived in the hood growing up and similarly to the trend of this thread, people only approve of code enforcement in middle class or better neighborhoods. The slightly more privileged think that shade-tree repair shops, dog, cat and chicken raising, perpetual yard sales, hoarding, scrapping and neighborhood stereo broadcasting is desired in the hood.

They're in the position to tisk, tisk the govt's 'oppressive' codes because they are well enforced in their neighborhood. They just ignore the oppressive value of a front-lawn soup kitchen at your neighbor's house or the cavalcade of ghetto lifestyle described above.

I do not approve of code enforcement anywhere. I especially despise the codes adopted by home owner associations that make laundry lines a violation. Can anyone explain the rationale behind making the greenest method of drying clothes impossible for anyone to use?

It is the least environmentally damaging way to dry your clothing, only a nut would object to saving the planet.

It is the least environmentally damaging way to dry your clothing, only a nut would object to saving the planet.

And yet, people think they are unsightly and ghetto.

And it is none of their business.

This is why I choose to live in the country. I can hang clothes line and no one is around to object. However, as you know, when you have next door neighbors if their house is unsightly it can negitively impact the value of your own house.

Not to mention how great your clothes will smell! But the nuts do object, mostly because clothes hanging outside are perceived as somehow low-class.
Oh, yeah, hanging clothes and taking them down requires loads more effort than chuckin' 'em in the dryer...just sayin'...

Last edited:
Not to mention how great your clothes will smell! But the nuts do object, mostly because clothes hanging outside are perceived as somehow low-class.
Oh, yeah, hanging clothes and taking them down requires loads more effort than chuckin' 'em in the dryer...just sayin'...

There are no zoning laws that forbidding hanging clothes outside. And, if you happen to live in a neighborhood that forbids it, you know that when you bought the house. Still, if you have a privacy fence and are otherwise a good neighbor, you can no doubt hang your clothes outside.

The woman has crossed the line because she doesn't provide the food herself, but she's operating as a distribution point for a public charity/business. And, if these Trayvons hadn't made a nuisance of themselves to the neighbors, she could no doubt have continued to doing this without trouble.

There are no zoning laws that forbidding hanging clothes outside. And, if you happen to live in a neighborhood that forbids it, you know that when you bought the house. Still, if you have a privacy fence and are otherwise a good neighbor, you can no doubt hang your clothes outside.

The woman has crossed the line because she doesn't provide the food herself, but she's operating as a distribution point for a public charity/business. And, if these Trayvons hadn't made a nuisance of themselves to the neighbors, she could no doubt have continued to doing this without trouble.

As far as I can tell, it wasn't the neighbors who complained. Some councilman/woman took offense that she had not acquired the appropriate government permission. Who cares where the food comes from, who should care who distributes the food? She doesn't seem to be excluding any children who arrive for a decent meal. The big issue is, government objects. Government isn't being lauded as the savior. Government isn't being worshiped as the entity that feeds the hungry...

As far as I can tell, it wasn't the neighbors who complained. Some councilman/woman took offense that she had not acquired the appropriate government permission. Who cares where the food comes from, who should care who distributes the food? She doesn't seem to be excluding any children who arrive for a decent meal. The big issue is, government objects. Government isn't being lauded as the savior. Government isn't being worshiped as the entity that feeds the hungry...

Seriously, you've got shit for brains if you doubt the neighbors have been complaining. This woman has been feeding 60 wild Trayvons in a neighborhood were people live close together. But, I don't have to depend on speculating about the obvious because the town manager says there has been complaints.

Some more background: A white church buys and prepares the food. The Afro woman is just the community liaison, so to speak. The food was provided by the church, at the church, until the Afro welfare queen got knocked up, then they moved the distribution to her house.

Why does it matter where the food comes from? Because if she were doing it herself, 1) she wouldn't be doing in the first place, because she's a parasite who probably does it only for the free food she gets for herself and her family, let alone buying the food and fixing it herself. 2) Even if she were a legitimately caring and giving person, the limits of her own ability and resources would keep the size of her guests to a reasonable number. 60 is far from reasonable.

I agree city codes are a hassle. But I also don't want my neighbor deciding to run a strip club out of his house, or to horde broken down car parts in his front yard.

Yes they are a hassle, but I'd bet most of them serve a legitimate purpose.

Funny how everyone always brings up the things that don't happen to justify the way government controls people, isn't it?

Or stupid laws made to protect stupid people. When I see all the stupid-people laws that exist now, I just wonder how so many of us, many posting on this board, made it to adulthood. Seat belts: didn't exist in most cars when I was a kid. It wouldn't have mattered if we had them, either. My parents had more kids than most modern cars have seat belts. Bicycle helmets? Didn't exist either. As a matter of fact, unless there was a bone poking through the skin, or blood pumping copiously, my mother hosed the "owie" off, sprayed it with disinfectant and out you went. My parents also kept firearms in the house. We never touched them because we knew we'd get the shit beaten out of us...that went for everything else forbidden. Personally, I think we should just let the stupid ones die off, it would definitely improve the remaining stock.

We made it to adulthood the same way Obama thinks people develop successful businesses: LUCK. :eusa_angel:

Funny how everyone always brings up the things that don't happen to justify the way government controls people, isn't it?

Or stupid laws made to protect stupid people. When I see all the stupid-people laws that exist now, I just wonder how so many of us, many posting on this board, made it to adulthood. Seat belts: didn't exist in most cars when I was a kid. It wouldn't have mattered if we had them, either. My parents had more kids than most modern cars have seat belts. Bicycle helmets? Didn't exist either. As a matter of fact, unless there was a bone poking through the skin, or blood pumping copiously, my mother hosed the "owie" off, sprayed it with disinfectant and out you went. My parents also kept firearms in the house. We never touched them because we knew we'd get the shit beaten out of us...that went for everything else forbidden. Personally, I think we should just let the stupid ones die off, it would definitely improve the remaining stock.

We made it to adulthood the same way Obama thinks people develop successful businesses: LUCK. :eusa_angel:

So you built bridges and roads while you were growing up?

So you built bridges and roads while you were growing up?

If I ever need to write a character who's a babbling retard, I'm just going to come to the board and cut and paste one of your posts to save time.

And it is none of their business.

This is why I choose to live in the country. I can hang clothes line and no one is around to object. However, as you know, when you have next door neighbors if their house is unsightly it can negitively impact the value of your own house.

Negatively impact the value of their house and keep the tax bill down?

How terrible.

I love it when people make blanket statements.

In the latest attempt to legislate a roadside aesthetic, the Southampton Town Board voted 4-0 on April 23 to prohibit residents from hanging laundry in their front yards. The ordinance was to take effect immediately. Under the town's zoning laws, repeat offenders could be hit with penalties as severe as $2,500 in fines or six months in jail.
Town officials say that the sight of skivvies flapping in the breeze is hard on the eyes and that they are only trying to preserve a small-town atmosphere. Critics say that a laundry line is about as authentically small-town as a anything can be and that the board should find more important problems to worry about.

Now, Not Even Clean Linen Can Be Aired - New York Times

Government is killing private charity, but this isn't the best example. Tax laws that reduce or eliminate tax deductions for charitable contributions is what is killing private charity. The government needs to eliminate private charity because people might donate to charitable institutions that the government does not wish to support but wishes to end. If left to the individual, they might donate to Focus on the Family rather than Planned Parenthood and the government would rather Family Support organizations do not exist.

ALL 501.3c's are treated alike @ tax time. The US is the most supportive government for charities, EVER in human history, buddy.

Actually things like that do happen.
NOt too often now because of zoning and community regs though.

Just think if the regs did not exist.
But you are perhaps to young for that?

Those are rules private businesses put out. Govt codes aren't too over-the top, but in a square-block of suburbia, there's a half billion in real estate which people are busting their asses to maintain and build as equity for themselves and their progeny. Code, like other laws, are the consented will of these folks aiming to protect these investments of time and money.

You freedom fiends need to give the discipline horse a ride every once in a while. You'd realize that as Americans, we've got to cooperate to improve our circumstances. We have to reach a few expectations which we don't just make ourselves. It's the bar of entry for living in or near the city.

Those are rules private businesses put out. Govt codes aren't too over-the top, but in a square-block of suburbia, there's a half billion in real estate which people are busting their asses to maintain and build as equity for themselves and their progeny. Code, like other laws, are the consented will of these folks aiming to protect these investments of time and money.

You freedom fiends need to give the discipline horse a ride every once in a while. You'd realize that as Americans, we've got to cooperate to improve our circumstances. We have to reach a few expectations which we don't just make ourselves. It's the bar of entry for living in or near the city.

I don't need to put others down to improve my circumstances, and I refuse to cooperate with anyone who feels a need to put others down to improve themselves.

Zoning laws don't forbid hanging laundry to dry.

When I post a general rule, I always wonder who's going to be first to show themselves to be a ******** by pointing out an exception to that rule. But, all you found was a town that forbid hanging cloths in the front yard. They don't forbid hanging cloths. They just restrict it from the front yard. The people there are still free to air-dry their clothes, and not use a dryer.

Zoning laws don't forbid hanging laundry to dry.

When I post a general rule, I always wonder who's going to be first to show themselves to be a ******** by pointing out an exception to that rule. But, all you found was a town that forbid hanging cloths in the front yard. They don't forbid hanging cloths. They just restrict it from the front yard. The people there are still free to air-dry their clothes, and not use a dryer.

Yes, I found a town that passed a zoning law that prohibits clotheslines, and you insist that it proves your point. Nice.

Tell me something, why would they pass a law prohibiting something, and then have a bunch of people complain, if it wasn't a normal practice?

Forum List

Back