Government Involvement in Health Insurance & Mandated Minimum Standards

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
As long as health care coverage is a closed-market function of an individuals employment, and not a true product to be shopped for in a reasonably free market place of many choices, government involvement is required.

Even to the point of requiring all the players to provide minimum coverage standards, like birth control.

And just 'cause our insurance company pays for her birth control doesn't mean you paid for it. Her premiums are no less valuable than yours or mine are, therefore she is paying for her own health care, via the insurance method, same as you and I are.

And the fact that we may or may not have a shitty government at any given time is beside the point.

As long as health care coverage is a closed-market function of an individuals employment, and not a true product to be shopped for in a reasonably free market place of many choices, government involvement is required.

Unconstitutional

Unconstitutional

Not the point I want to argue - see post #2.

Give me a truly free market for health coverage or give me minimum standards and controlled prices, enforced by a government beholding to the consumers.

Something has to give. The health insurance lobby has made its bed and needs to be turned on its ear via open competition regardless of employment, or highly regulated and controlled.

The only other method that makes any sense is a single payer option run like Social Security, with claims paid based on a list of rules that everyone has access to.

Unconstitutional

Give me a truly free market for health coverage or give me minimum standards and controlled prices, enforced by a government beholding to the consumers.

Something has to give. The health insurance lobby has made its bed and needs to be turned on its ear or via open competition regardless of employment, or highly regulated and controlled.

The only other method that makes any sense is a single payer option run like Social Security, with claims paid based on a list of rules that everyone has access to.

Why am I expected to pay for something I will not use? I don't want to pay for birth control if I don't use it... regardless of whether someone else does... if they want it, they can choose to pay for it. Why is the Government forcing insurance companies to only provide coverage that includes birth control? If I don't want birth control, why do I have to pay for it?

Unconstitutional

Something has to give. The health insurance lobby has made its bed and needs to be turned on its ear or via open competition regardless of employment, or highly regulated and controlled.

Why am I expected to pay for something I will not use? I don't want to pay for birth control if I don't use it... regardless of whether someone else does... if they want it, they can choose to pay for it. Why is the Government forcing insurance companies to only provide coverage that includes birth control? If I don't want birth control, why do I have to pay for it?

That's a lame-ass argument with the possible exception of Medicaid dollars. As long as contributions are paid in according to a set of rules applied equally to all and claims paid in a similar fashion, it's no more you paying for another persons health care choices than if you share the same bank and your money is 'commingled' on some balance sheet.

AVG-JOE in the opening post said:
As I said, just 'cause our insurance company pays for her birth control doesn't mean you paid for it. Her premiums are no less valuable than yours or mine are, therefore she is paying for her own health care, via the insurance method, same as you and I are.

In many instances it's a closed-market function because of gubmint meddling...Yet, somehow or another, even more of their know-nothing interference is supposed to help matters?

I don't think so...Homey don't play dat.

In many instances it's a closed-market function because of gubmint meddling...Yet, somehow or another, even more of their know-nothing interference is supposed to help matters?

The current insurance industry has been carefully crafted by a well paid industry lobby from government controls, making it illegal for all but a few plans to exist.

Step back and take a look at the industry we've built to track our health care budgets. This creature can't be sustained. Give me wide open competition among private bureaucracies or a public bureaucracy, in practice if not in name.

The current bullshit is not working.

That's a lame-ass argument

Only to someone who doesn't understand the concept of individual liberties. The government has no Constitutional authority to order insurance companies to cover anything.

And THAT'S a lame ass argument because that's EXACTLY what our government has been doing since its inception - regulating shit.

The current insurance industry has been carefully crafted from government controls making it illegal for all but a few plans to exist by a well paid lobby industry.

Step back and take a look at the industry we've built to track our health care budgets. This creature can't be sustained. Give me wide open competition among private bureaucracies or a public bureaucracy, in practice if not in name.

So the answer is even more bureaucratic bullshit?

You a funny muthafukka. :lol::lol::lol:

Unconstitutional

you must forgive Taz, he shoots from the lisp. :eusa_whistle:

We need to get rid of for-profit health/medical insurance in the USA.

One of the things really striking for Americans is that under LAMal, you now say the insurance companies can't make a profit on basic coverage. What's the thinking there? ::: Interviews - Pascal Couchepin | Sick Around The World | FRONTLINE | PBS

The Oddball Dude pushes yet another con myth: government can do no good.

:eek:

The current insurance industry has been carefully crafted from government controls making it illegal for all but a few plans to exist by a well paid lobby industry.

So bureaucracy is inherently evil?

next

:eek:

More or less. One way or the other. Ying or Yang

Competitive market with at least as many choices in health care coverage as we have in auto insurance, or a true public option with premiums based on age enrolled and coverage based on a published list of rules.

The current monopolistic bullshit is not working.

I don't want to pay for birth control if I don't use it...

But those who choose to pay for it, like Ms Fluke, should be able to get it. Period.

- and not just when some asshole like lushbo says she can have it.

Affordable Health Care Act takes it out of the hands of insurance AND of government. Problem is, r's want to pay their crony insurance companies so they lie about it. And, dumb rw's fall for it.

Medicine should be between the patient and the doctor. Get Big Insurance and the GObP out of it.

Forum List

Back