Government Involvement in Health Insurance & Mandated Minimum Standards

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by AVG-JOE, Mar 8, 2012.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    As long as health care coverage is a closed-market function of an individuals employment, and not a true product to be shopped for in a reasonably free market place of many choices, government involvement is required.

Even to the point of requiring all the players to provide minimum coverage standards, like birth control.

And just 'cause our insurance company pays for her birth control doesn't mean you paid for it. Her premiums are no less valuable than yours or mine are, therefore she is paying for her own health care, via the insurance method, same as you and I are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    And the fact that we may or may not have a shitty government at any given time is beside the point.

3. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Unconstitutional

4. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    Not the point I want to argue - see post #2.

Give me a truly free market for health coverage or give me minimum standards and controlled prices, enforced by a government beholding to the consumers.

Something has to give. The health insurance lobby has made its bed and needs to be turned on its ear via open competition regardless of employment, or highly regulated and controlled.

The only other method that makes any sense is a single payer option run like Social Security, with claims paid based on a list of rules that everyone has access to.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Why am I expected to pay for something I will not use? I don't want to pay for birth control if I don't use it... regardless of whether someone else does... if they want it, they can choose to pay for it. Why is the Government forcing insurance companies to only provide coverage that includes birth control? If I don't want birth control, why do I have to pay for it?

6. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    That's a lame-ass argument with the possible exception of Medicaid dollars. As long as contributions are paid in according to a set of rules applied equally to all and claims paid in a similar fashion, it's no more you paying for another persons health care choices than if you share the same bank and your money is 'commingled' on some balance sheet.

7. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    In many instances it's a closed-market function because of gubmint meddling...Yet, somehow or another, even more of their know-nothing interference is supposed to help matters?

I don't think so...Homey don't play dat.

8. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    The current insurance industry has been carefully crafted by a well paid industry lobby from government controls, making it illegal for all but a few plans to exist.

Step back and take a look at the industry we've built to track our health care budgets. This creature can't be sustained. Give me wide open competition among private bureaucracies or a public bureaucracy, in practice if not in name.

The current bullshit is not working.

9. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Only to someone who doesn't understand the concept of individual liberties. The government has no Constitutional authority to order insurance companies to cover anything.

10. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    And THAT'S a lame ass argument because that's EXACTLY what our government has been doing since its inception - regulating shit.